AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-01-16, 01:11   Link #1041
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

What the hell is that in her mouth...? o_o
Old 2011-01-16, 01:16   Link #1042
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
No, not illogical at all. Homura simply doesn't like sharing and was afraid that, had she used the remaining energy in the grief seed, she would've been obliged to Mami, and that the next time she getahered a grief seed from a witch, Mami would come and ask her to give her some of the nergy in exchange. She didn't want that.
And if she was greedy she wouldn't care and would just shoot Mami rather than give her anything.

Stop straining yourself so much to cast Homura in a negative light. It makes you sound more than a little crazy.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 01:46   Link #1043
Mef

Has this link been posted here? http://madoka.wikia.com/wiki/The_Puella_Magi_Wiki

From this picture:
The strange writing has been deciphered. The cotton balls speak German. The witch in the second episode is named Gertrud. Faust quotes everywhere.

In the first episode when the cotton balls appear you can clearly hear them say "Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen" (they are flowers not known to me). They also say "schneiden" (to cut) a lot.
Mef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 01:53   Link #1044
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef View Post
Has this link been posted here? http://madoka.wikia.com/wiki/The_Puella_Magi_Wiki

From this picture:
The strange writing has been deciphered. The cotton balls speak German. The witch in the second episode is named Gertrud. Faust quotes everywhere.

In the first episode when the cotton balls appear you can clearly hear them say "Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen" (they are flowers not known to me). They also say "schneiden" (to cut) a lot.
It's Sora no Woto all over again .
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 02:00   Link #1045
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
See what she says after that. Nutbladder translated it as "See? It restored the magical power I used." That says she took power from the seed to the gem, but the visual shows the reverse: darkness going from the gem to the seed.
Ah, that.

I wouldn't say she's lying though; it seems like almost everyone has missed out a keyword in that line.

「これで消耗した私の魔力元通り。」

"Too". That implies there's something else that she didn't mention.

As for sharing the seed, I wouldn't overanalyze it as sharing one of the girls or something. From my understanding, her soul gem has already been completely "cleansed" without fully "utilizing" the grief seed, so she was just giving Homura a free favor.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 02:21   Link #1046
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

Quote:

From this picture:

Also, the cotton balls are called "Anthony", in case anybody's dying to know.

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 02:59   Link #1047
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
They also say "schneiden" (to cut) a lot.
That explains all the scissors!

I appreciate how this series is able to build so much tension through the seemingly vibrant, benign school life scenes with the profound conversations they're having over the dilemma of being a magical girl (to put your life at risk for the sake of a wish) - it demonstrates how slowly but surely the strange darkness behind the Magical Girl world is invading the girls' everyday lives.

I suspect that as this anime progresses, there'll be a lot less of those vibrant scenes. The world around these girls will gradually degenerate into the dark and abstract worlds from the witch/magical girl encounters.

That is what I feel sets this anime apart from other magical girl anime - it isn't necessarily about good vs. evil. Yes, there is the superficial magical girl vs. witches concept being set up, but they didn't necessarily explain how these witches come into being and how exactly the system of witch hunting works.

The way they're making it sound, it's almost as if witch hunting is zero-win: By hunting more witches you're taking away more opportunities for other magical girls from having their wish granted. I feel the whole wish system is what corrupts the whole magical girl vs. witches thing as being a straight-up good vs. evil thing.

There's a lot of potential in this. I hope they deliver in future episodes, because I'm pretty hooked right now, if this whole post hasn't revealed it yet.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 03:00   Link #1048
Mef

As far as I can tell during the confrontation in episode one the servants are saying:

Das - sind - mir - unbekannte - Blumen - ja - sie - sind - mir - auch - unbekannt - schneiden - wir - sie - ab - ja schneiden - ? - sie - ab - die - rosen - schenken - wir - unserer - königin - und - wir - ? - ? - schneiden - ab - die - blumen- ja - ja - sie - ab - ja - schneiden - sie - ?

Translation:

they are flowers not known to me yes I also don't know them let's cut them off yes cut ? them off we will give the roses to our queen as a present and we ? ? cut off the flowers yes yes them off yes cut them ?

Can someone add the missing words?
Mef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 03:59   Link #1049
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
What the hell is that in her mouth...? o_o
a spoon...
Old 2011-01-16, 04:06   Link #1050
Gladi

Quote:
No, not illogical at all. Homura simply doesn't like sharing and was afraid that, had she used the remaining energy in the grief seed, she would've been obliged to Mami, and that the next time she getahered a grief seed from a witch, Mami would come and ask her to give her some of the nergy in exchange. She didn't want that.
So why did not Akemi follow after the witch the day before? She spend a lot of time in following Kaname, Miki and Tomoe and and not any following her agenda of "greed".
Gladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 05:05   Link #1051
tsunade666

When the witch shows up or just the alternate plane that they enter. It reminds me of persona. Am I the only one who think so?

Specially persona 2 or is it 1. Not sure. But the freaky bizarre ambiance. Really reminds me of the persona. Plus the crazy opponents too reminds me of persona enemies.
Old 2011-01-16, 05:11   Link #1052
bigdeath

I thought the same thing. I should have mentioned this earlier but the witch demensions do remind me of the persona games as well. The witches minions remind me for the shadows and the bizarre forms they would take.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 05:14   Link #1053
Silverwyrm

So my thought right now...when does it end?

They can get any wish granted, but they must risk their lives fighting witches...for how long? For all we know it can be "fight until you some day die"

On the note of the grief seed and soul gem, its possible they are the "same" but not enough information. For one, we need to see more soul gems/grief seeds to see if they all look the same or not.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 05:39   Link #1054
Iskandar Taib

Faust, huh?? Interesting, in light of all the speculation here about the trajectory of the story. Everyone DOES know what Faust is about, no? (It's on Wikipedia..) Someone is throwing us some hints, perhaps. Also note how Goethe's Faust ends....

Iskandar
Iskandar Taib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 05:42   Link #1055
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Time for some new speculation!
Homura isn't exactly evil, her motive is quite simple: *greed*. She wants the engergy from the grief seeds you get when you beat a witch all for herself. If there are more magical girls, there is more competition over the grief seeds, making it harder for her to get them because she has to compete with the other magical girls over them. That's why she wants to prevent other girls from becoming magical girls and tried to kill Kyuubee, simply because of her greed.
Yeah... no. For starters, the grief seeds contain no energy, at least none usable by magical girls. If you pay attention, you'll see that the "energy" was transfered from Mami's egg to the grief seed. Grief seeds are used to purify magical girl's egg, preventing them from dimming and turning pitch black. What happens if a magical girl egg turn black? The answer seems fairly obvious: they turn into witches. Of course, that's still speculation for now.

As for Homerun, Mami is trying to portray her as a villain, and I see you're fallling for it

If Homura were as greedy as you think she is, she could have used even more radical means to accomplish her goal. For example, kill Madoka and Sayaka. Incidentally, please note that she doesn't seem to give a damn about Sayaka. I think it's clear she's looking out for Madoka's best interest. She wanted to kill Kyuube so that Madoka wouldn't end up in a Faustian contract with him, however it's too late now that they've met. So all she can do now is watch over her (it's really all she was doing in episode 2), and pray Madoka won't forget her warning.
Old 2011-01-16, 05:45   Link #1056
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well Madoka giving up her "life as we know it" for power and the ability for one wish, whatever it may be, is very much like a Faustian deal with the devil...

Edit - Beaten by Kanon AGAIN!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 06:46   Link #1057
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiftis
Also, I'm getting curious about this character:
(image)
Remember that, other than causing Itoshiki Nozomu syndrome, Witches can also cause Hate Plague? Mami mentioned something about red lights where fights happen. I believe that this girl will appear during an arc where the Hate Plague cause gang-war. She seems to be delinquent-type character.

... Can't believe i'm expecting gang-war in a mahou shoujo anime (though Sailor V manga had one).

Also, i can't help but comparing this anime with the World of Darkness RPG.
- "Vampires": The magical girl must consume (the power? the soul? of) what are possibly elder magical girls. In WoD, they call that "Diablerie" (or more prosaically, "Amaranth").
- "Mages": It's right in the title, duh. Also, the whole "this world is crumbling" theme. The apocalypse in the beginning of episode 1 might as well be what happens when things from Abyss finally open their gaping maw into the world. Also, some Mages Awaken to their power in a dream-like scene. (Madoka might as well be on the path of Acanthus).
- "Werewolves": There are nasty spirits influencing people to do nasty things so that they gain nourishment from the nasty actions. The Witches in eps 2 might as well be Spirit of Suicide.
- "Changelings": When your reality-warping power grow strong enough, you lose all your humanity and morph into something... freakish (they call it "True Fae") and you flee into Arcadia, pocket dimension where everything is subject to your whim. Witch dimension.
- "Promethean": Prometheans ("Frankenstein's monster") cause Hate Plague just by existing. Fortunately, most of them aren't bad guys. However, when they're bad guys, they're far more terrifying than the Witches.
- "Hunter": These are the guys who fight (malevolent) supernaturals. They range from the stereotypical MIB-in-black-van to those who make contracts with devils.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 07:35   Link #1058
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Little request to the people who browse /a/ or danbooru/gelbooru/etc... a lot:
if you find the vectored version of this image

please rehost and link it here. I really love this kind of poses.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 07:36   Link #1059
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
It's Sora no Woto all over again .
Not quite,even if it has a wiki,nobody is doing charts yet

Though that wiki has some interesting info

About Mami:

Quote:
Her first name is written in katakana, which has no particular meaning. When written in kanji, it can be read as "deceiving spirit"
Oh snap...
Old 2011-01-16, 07:55   Link #1060
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not quite,even if it has a wiki,nobody is doing charts yet

Though that wiki has some interesting info

About Mami:

Oh snap...
Though reading through the glyph cracking thread it's only a matter of time. I once said that there won't be a SnW like series for quite some time, I stand delightfully corrected.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen