AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-01-17, 13:52   Link #1
Woodfins90

Cool Halo series

What do you think of the Halo series? Tell me weather you liked it or not.
Woodfins90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 15:21   Link #2
arcadeplayer987

It is good but a bit overrated, I'm still waiting Halo3 for PC
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 02:46   Link #3
Enjoy07

Resistance is better online. Get a ps3.
Enjoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 03:09   Link #4
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfins90 View Post
One is an accidental success and really what jump-kicked the X-Box control-scheme for FPS's. Proof that the controller works for the genre. You only get two weapons, grenades on left trigger and melee. That's a pretty nifty control scheme for a shooter. The wonky physics was fun. The pistol accidentally balanced the game. Certain weapons were just absolutely useless. Loved it in spite of its many flaws.

Two was rushed and horrible. In many ways. Single Player was terrible. Multiplayer had to be patched, and even then, you had a lot of problem with game balance and the matchmaking system. The removal of the pistol, was ironically, actually a step backward. Story was okay, I guess. But my standards for storytelling are pretty low for shooters. There's also actually evidence that the programmers cut corners on the bullet spread for SMG's and shotguns. (They shot in an even circle with bullets missing the center. Go figure.)

Three is what Halo 2 should have been. But by this point, the franchise has been beaten to death. That's not to say the multiplayer isn't good, but it's somewhat disenchanting to realize that they're not bringing back stronger mid-ranged combat, fall damage or the health meter. Battle rifle and carbine are still somewhat weaker than I had hoped, so the game is still somewhat power-weapon and sprayer oriented, but thankfully, not as bad as it was in Halo 2. At any rate, many of the balance issues that plagued the second were fixed. I still wish they had hidden number ranks and give EXP based on kill spread and assists for slayer type games. (Kill spread is the number of kills you scored minus your deaths. Meaning, that you actually *score points* for your team in a slayer game.)

Also, in Halo 3, people *still* can't drive the Warthog on Valhalla for half-a-damn. This invariably means that my brother and I can farm a good number of kills towards the endgame when all the vehicle-killers have been scattered.

Just so you know, I hate the regenerating health fad that most FPS's seemed to have picked up. I prefer a health bar. But to avoid a long rant, I think the game design possibilities are better for health-based FPS's.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 03:15   Link #5
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Yeah, I was pissed too when they replaced the health bar. Without it, you have the choice to become more reckless with your attacks, since you can just recover the shield. While it makes gameplay more eventful, there is less "skill" involved somehow, as in most FPSs battles are short and exciting, and you die much easier.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 03:22   Link #6
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
Yeah, I was pissed too when they replaced the health bar. Without it, you have the choice to become more reckless with your attacks, since you can just recover the shield. While it makes gameplay more eventful, there is less "skill" involved somehow, as in most FPSs battles are short and exciting, and you die much easier.
Specifically, it gimps objective games and "Blood Gulch" type games where you want the game to be about running battles and skirmishes. Moving from point A to point B becomes a game of health management. So you are more severely punished for being ambushed as you are that much less effective for having been wounded. Likewise, you are rewarded for maximizing your use of terrain.

This is important because it forces you to think about long-term gain. The lack of health kind of downplays the significance of getting in the first shot. Sort of reduces the significance of having to maneuver into an advantageous position. I prefer this far over the slobbering frat-sprayer mentality that Halo seems to attract.

So you got hit once by a sniper rifle? Too bad. You're definitely not capping the flag this spawn (or scoring that extra kill).

Finally, health packs can be placed as "weapons." Why game developers have never adopted the mentality of treating health packs like an "extra gun" is beyond me. It gives you extra staying power in the middle of the field when you've been wounded. Hence, it gives players something to fight over.
Old 2008-01-18, 23:28   Link #7
matt4212

Quote:
Halo 1 was the best of the series. It had good campaign and good multiplayer, except to super powered pistol.

Halo 2 was ok, just that the weapons were all over powered. they fixed the pistol somewhat.

Halo 3's campaign was good. The multiplayer sucks. They downgraded the pistol again, so now it's useless. They put in the assault rifle with the lunging melee. And they made the ghost and banshee too powerful, in the other games there was a recoil on them, in halo 3 there isn't. Now the only fun in Halo 3 is playing custom games with your friends and building stuff in forge.
matt4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 23:56   Link #8
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
. The removal of the pistol, was ironically, actually a step backward.
Two still had the pistol, they just took the zoom or snipe feature out of it. The only thing kool about part two was that you could dual wield weapons

Also sticky grenades are win! I just love it whenever you chuck at it some poor sucker and he starts running around like a madman with a clock on his head
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 00:30   Link #9
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I hated the human weapons for Halo 2. They somewhat improved in Halo 3, but i still prefer the original Assault Rifle from Halo 1. Also, I hated the ridiculously tiny ammo amount you could hold for Halo 2 because unless you were double wielding weps, you ran out of ammo real fast in single-player campaign mode. I ended up using Elite Plasma Rifle the most during campaign for halo 2.

I have yet to play halo 3 campaign, but the multiplayer isn't that fun (I played with friends). I don't know why, but I just didn't like it as much as halo 1 or even 2.
Old 2008-01-19, 17:25   Link #10
Kona_Zero

Halo 3 doesn't seem to get to me as Halo 1. I enjoyed Halo 1 the most even though it had the worst graphics for some reason? Halo 2 the ammo is way to low I always end up needing to switch weapons at least 10 times in a level because of running out of ammo.
Kona_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 18:18   Link #11
mrvetle

Halo 1. Awesome. Liked the health bar better.

Halo 2. Awesome, except for the glitch abuse and cheating online.

Halo 3. Awesome, but i hate the maps . The halo 2 maps were perfect.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 14:51   Link #12
Woodfins90

I heard that they were making a 4th halo.
Woodfins90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 16:10   Link #13
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
I've only played the first two. They are pretty fun, but they are pretty over-rated. I can play the game for a couple hours straight, but I have friends who literally play these games for like 14 hours. I can't do that, I get bored after like three hours. They're fun, but not that fun.
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 17:01   Link #14
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
I heard that they were making a 4th halo.
Your probably thinking of the new Halo Wars RTS thats coming out eventually.
Old 2008-01-23, 14:37   Link #15
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy07 View Post
Resistance is better online. Get a ps3.
Resistance is like a ps2 game poor online (my bro has a ps3) so i would get Gears Of War or COD4, Halo 2 was ok for its time but Halo 3 is very poor i don't rate it at alll.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 15:18   Link #16
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
Resistance is like a ps2 game poor online (my bro has a ps3) so i would get Gears Of War or COD4, Halo 2 was ok for its time but Halo 3 is very poor i don't rate it at alll.
As much as I love the Halo series, this bit of advice is spot on. GoW and CoD4 are a must for any console FPS fans, Halo 3 is good but I have to admit not as good as these 2.
As I've said in the CoD4 thread it has possibly the best level ever made in it which in its own right can best whole entire games.

But I do think there won't be a figure as great as the Master Chief for some time to come. The man is a legend FACT!
Old 2008-01-25, 04:24   Link #17
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Eww. . .Gears of War is terrible.

Okay, I know, I know, the context-sensitivity and the over-the-shoulder functions seemed cool. Problem is, Ubisoft did both better in the Splinter Cell series and then polished it to a mirror-shine in Chaos Theory. Basically, Chaos Theory had a bunch of context-sensitive controls that were actually *useful.* "Taking cover" in GoW was largely an unnecessary wing-ding. Hiding behind a rock like you do in most shooters works fine as a game mechanic.

Quick list of hating:
- "Pro"-games are essentially reduced to who can charge and point-blank spray better.
- "Rifle" weapons have terrible scatter and slow projectile speeds. Basically, even if you lead the weapon, you can't hit jack. Most weapons seemed pretty pointless to use in a duck-and-cover dogfight.
- Single Player was a complete non-experience to me. My brother pretty much gets the same feeling about it. I didn't hate it so much as it was just a way to pass time.
- Regenerating health (see above) + inaccurate weapons = boring.
- Generic frat guys in too much body armor. Locusts were just gray burly guys in body armor. Seriously. I can feel the epic storytelling.

As for Halo 2, it's definitely the worst in the Halo series.
- The games degenerated into which team could better whore the power weapons. Weapon sets were just plain broken. There's not much else you can say about it.
- Auto-aim is ramped up. Seriously, if you can't tell the difference between the auto-aim from H2 from H1 or H3, then you can't talk about it. In addition, hit-boxes were much too generous. Panning a BR burst over an unshielded face will score you a head shot.
- Ranking system was broken. Unlike in Three, you didn't lose points from leaving a game. People want to keep a high number rank, so they leave the game. As a result, you don't get very satisfying matches, because as soon as it looks like a team is about to lose, people on the other team start leaving. So you were either screwed or bored.
- Lock-on rockets made vehicles a gamble. These things rarely, if ever, missed. Kind of makes vehicle balance pretty schizophrenic. It certainly isn't fun to die so automatically. Russian roulette gameplay.
- SMG's and Shotguns fire in a ring with no flak hitting the middle. Basically, these things are horribly inaccurate. Just start a game, go to a wall and start burst-firing the SMG at the wall in one spot. Perfect circle. Do the same with a shotgun to get a rough circle. Shotguns also lacked the range they have in Halo 1 or 3. Russian roulette gameplay.
- Dual-wielding was too important. Games become 80% spraying, when they aren't blind sword-slashing and point-blanking rockets.
- I realize single player was terrible as soon as I realized that I *didn't* have to fight enemies. I could run past them. Ignore them practically. The other thing is that there were actually times I *wanted* to. Legendary is just difficult without actually being challenging. Jackal snipers.
- Regenerating health. (See above.) There's no point to a "balanced" mid-range weapon if you can't wound people. Naturally, the rockets had no blast radius, so you couldn't hurt yourself very easily, even if you go reckless with the thing.
- Before release of the patch melee and grenades were too weak because of this and actually had to patch the game to up the damage of both.
- Endless button-interrupt glitching and "superjumping" can ruin a game. Not really a "skill" oriented game when people can send endless stream of BR shots at you through a glitch method. Fall damage could actually curb some of the latter abuses.

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2008-01-25 at 04:48.