AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-20, 00:16   Link #221
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru and The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi may be of interest to you
Hmm. No. I read those and Mikuru-The-Younger didn't do anything particularly out-of-character. Pretty hapless as always.

Mikuru-The-Elder is foxy and cunning though.
Old 2007-07-20, 06:19   Link #222
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Hmm. No. I read those and Mikuru-The-Younger didn't do anything particularly out-of-character. Pretty hapless as always.
The point I was getting at is that even Mikuru sees herself as a useless person who is only good for following directions and looking cute. It troubles her quite deeply and she's afraid she'll always be this way. Kyon, however, recounts to her a few times where she helped him substantially in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Disappearance, and from this point on she becomes just a little more assertive and confident.
Quote:
Mikuru-The-Elder is foxy and cunning though.
Which would suggest epic character development at some point. I just hope Tanigawa gets around to writing it.
Old 2007-07-20, 21:38   Link #223
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
The point I was getting at is that even Mikuru sees herself as a useless person who is only good for following directions and looking cute. It troubles her quite deeply and she's afraid she'll always be this way. Kyon, however, recounts to her a few times where she helped him substantially in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Disappearance, and from this point on she becomes just a little more assertive and confident.

Which would suggest epic character development at some point. I just hope Tanigawa gets around to writing it.
I'm willing to bet that the reason Mikuru changes from timid and meek into confident and capable has something to do with her experiences (including those to come) with the SOS Brigade. That might be why it has to be Mikuru, and not some other more experienced and reliable time traveler agent, who has to be sent on this mission. The mission's goal isn't just to keep an eye on Haruhi, but to develop and embolden the agent, so that the future would not be deprived of a notable leader.

It's just speculation, but that certainly would be interesting to see.
Old 2007-07-20, 23:29   Link #224
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Wouldn't that be nice? He'd then actually be kicking the plot into a higher gear. I'm curious what he's going to do with the antagonists that he's been setting up.

It kinda bothers me that Kyon dislikes the "enemy" characters simply on the virtue of crossing Mikuru. Beware their sinister agenda! Whatever that is. That and "anti-Nagato" is apparently a metaphorical blackhole that makes him feel uncomfortable. Dunno, seems like it might be cheap bid to set up a conflict.

Mostly it seems like Kyon jumping at and inventing Jungian shadows to the SoS Brigade.

Spoiler for Kuyoh-san in the middle:
Old 2007-12-24, 07:19   Link #225
Jintor

This series is gold. Absolute, shining, gold.

I cannot wait for the second season.
Old 2008-01-16, 10:17   Link #226
JohnL
shadowhunter

Well, my overall impresion in this anime is that it was one of the greatest anime I've ever seen, the entire series is funny, but the thing that made it really cool was that the episodes are not in a chronological order... VERRY ORIGINAL!!!!
Old 2008-01-23, 20:49   Link #227
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

Overrated?! lawl.

But anyway it has something that this animu possessed and I liek this...
Old 2008-01-24, 22:11   Link #228
Seitsuki
Onee!

no one's posted here for a long time huh =x
well when i first got this series it was a low quality version from a classmate and watching it in the library i was like OMFG (mikuru in her *suit*) not the most public-friendly episode i guess =P
but when i watched it at home it was really good. read the light novels too, tho i wish they'd stop delaying vol 10
Old 2008-01-24, 22:14   Link #229
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
tho i wish they'd stop delaying vol 10
Don't we all...
Old 2008-03-26, 18:35   Link #230
Ninjamasta

The anime series is cool but it kinda lack and ending to it though. I was hoping for a second seasson but after 2 years nothing have been put on news in regards. Anyone know is there going to be a second seasson?

Since there wont be a english version of novels, has anyone read chinese version? I was gonna think about getting those books.
Old 2008-07-15, 17:16   Link #231
Traece
:cool:

I remember the first time I sat down with this series back when it was still unlicensed (if I recall correctly, my enjoyment could be dedicated to Animesuki for the providing of such wonderful sub links back in that day) and before that I had heard mention of it somewhere... I'm not sure where or when I first heard about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, nor am I sure about this or not but I believe it was actually the first series I ever viewed from Animesuki. If that's true, then it was the second anime that I viewed via internet source. Before that, it was all Cartoon Network and helpless channels.
But enough of my history... The reason I said all that is because it gives an obvious impression. Should the series have proven to be ghastly and terrible beyond my capabilities to enjoy, it could be said that I would never have graced this forum. Thus, it can be said that it the anime was good enough to make me want to see more, well, anime. That's true, because to this day this anime is still the greatest anime I have viewed and I don't believe that this anime could ever be overrated in any way. Plus, how can you not love an anime that comes from a group of annoying guys who love screwing with your mind (the official website and the strange episode order) and employed probably the most heavenly voice for a female main character yet. If I could change anything, Kyon and Haruhi would have a bit more romance... But that's the only thing.
Old 2008-07-21, 17:41   Link #232
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I like the Haruhi series, it has characters who I can relate to on some level and the light novels are written in such a unique way that any person who is not into the whole anime craze can get into it. Well, I don't why but Haruhi just sort of intimidates me because of her confidence and the fact that can quite literally do anything that if she puts her mind to it and I guess I am sort of envious of the girl. I am not all that familiar with all the tropes of anime but Haruhi, Kyon, Koizomi, Nagato and Mikuru pretty much fit the mold since I can pretty picture Nagato and Rei "talking" to each other like in that old Cartoon Network commercial where Raven was "talking" to Mandy.

Nagato: Nice to meet you, Ayanami Rei.

Rei: Nice to meet to you, Nagato Yuki.

(sits back on their seats with silence)

Before I actually saw the show or even read the novels, I wanted to see what the big deal was about so after mustering up a lot of patience, I finally watch the show and I finally got into although not to the point of Haruhism. I am not all that familiar with Ontology or Metaphysics or any sort of thing of that nature but the Haruhi series seems to bring a lot of interesting topics concerning the True Nature of God, the Universe and everything not unlike other the novel I have read like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or even any of those Gainax shows with Gainax endings but it blends together with a traditional school comedy that I see in most anime.

As for the characters themselves, I can find myself in them and themselves in me. As for the overconfident, eccentric and pretty competitive brownie haired title character, I can see how I can become the "God" of my reality, how I can make things both good and bad happen to me and everyone just by thinking about it and I can her personality have been reflected of my own persona since I am able to see these things and get puffed up on them (who hasn't behaved like Haruhi at one time). I could write more but I don't want to make a livejournal like post on this thread but I do see myself in all the Haruhi characters (not to say that I will exploit people to my ends, come up with crazy plans or even start a club with the sole purpose of looking for supernatural oddities in my own world) and I enjoy this series and I recommend it to anyone who likes anime or anyone who isn't even into anime to read the light novels.
Old 2008-07-25, 00:29   Link #233
Toomz
Registered vagabond

What can I say? Haruhi is an amazing anime, and it's the little things that make it so good. The characters are what really kept me interested, but in a larger sense I really enjoyed the fact that the anime is not always what it seems. The idea of one girl controlling the too-normal world around her, and bringing together the characters and events that she does, it's just awesome.

I'd recommend it to anyone, in hopes that the first episode (Broadcast order) doesn't shun them away, and they continue to watch this amazing work.

Personally, I can really relate to Kyon. I'm always the first to complain about crap, and I'm always getting dragged into things that I don't want to do, but end up liking it all in the end. XD gotta love the guy.
Old 2008-11-20, 13:31   Link #234
Mew Mew 117
Super Girl in Love

Thumbs up

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a great series that I'll never forget. (Heck, I bought the anime after watching the first episode. ) The artwork is beautiful and the characters are great. And something about this series that amazes me is how well I connected to it.

Spoiler for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:
Old 2008-11-20, 16:40   Link #235
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

...You know that you aren't supposed to relate to Haruhi, right?
Old 2008-11-21, 02:07   Link #236
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
...You know that you aren't supposed to relate to Haruhi, right?
Wrong, there are a whole bunch of us who love this show so much because we related to Haruhi, or we related to both Haruhi and Kyon.

I would show you some of my 1000+ word essays that I posted on AS about how Haruhi related to my life and how she changed my life perspectives and such, but you probably won't read.

I gave Mew Mew 117 cookies because its so extremely rare to hear what I consider a True Haruhist nowadays.

She understood the greatness of episode 1, she was able to tie herself to Haruhi. I've seen people of either, but of both its rare. Well, rare outside of Japan and East Asia.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-21, 02:14   Link #237
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I never thought Haruhi's traits or hatred of normality was supposed to be positive at all.

Notice that, as the novels go on, she begins to settle with realizing that fun can be had in normal life, too...

I think the show is fairly anti-escapism, which, of course, is rather ironic, given the escapist nature of anime istelf.
Old 2008-11-21, 02:26   Link #238
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
I never thought Haruhi's traits or hatred of normality was supposed to be positive at all.

Notice that, as the novels go on, she begins to settle with realizing that fun can be had in normal life, too...

I think the show is fairly anti-escapism, which, of course, is rather ironic, given the escapist nature of anime istelf.
Something like that, Haruhi served as an example to many otaku, growing teenagers etc.

She's sort of an example of our escapist minds.

But the best thing I learnt from her is to do whatever you think you want to do, go for your dreams and such. If you can't find it, keep finding.

Her hatred of the the normal also gave us many different ideas. If you are not normal, then don't bother being normal, just be out of the box and you'll probably be more successful or happy in life.

Old 2008-11-21, 03:21   Link #239
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:

I agree with this statement more than C.A.'s statement. In fact, I kinda prefer Sasaki. IF given the choice - that is, IF Kyoani does go this far.
Old 2008-11-21, 03:30   Link #240
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

There's a reason why I added a 'True' to True Haruhist lol

And there's a reason Haruhism has split into all sorts of -isms.

I've been using True Haruhist as the term to group people who really are Haruhists and not just fans of the show. Though a True Haruhist can also vary between someone who agrees or relates with Haruhi to someone who worship her fanatically for her ideals.

In the first place Haruhism was very simple especially because there weren't that many people who watched the show, but had considerally higher percentage who saw the wonder that was Haruhi-sama.

But as the popularity bursts exponentially, True Haruhists became rare as fans who did not view the story because of a core similarity became more. Today, in the enormous fanbase of Haruhi, True Haruhists are extremely rare.

Closed Thread