AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-09-23, 03:47   Link #181
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have this image of a huge whiteboard in your garage filled with timelines, notes, etc
Old 2012-09-23, 12:06   Link #182
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Naw, just several typed pages here and there. Some on the Internet which has survived (navalism.org), and a memory for useless material.
Old 2012-09-23, 15:28   Link #183
thankonomics

All I know is that a lot of people are iffy about the whole 48fps thing. If it ends up looking like a cheesy soap opera...ehh >_> I'll just watch it in standard movie format please.
thankonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 16:00   Link #184
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankonomics View Post
All I know is that a lot of people are iffy about the whole 48fps thing. If it ends up looking like a cheesy soap opera...ehh >_> I'll just watch it in standard movie format please.
I am sure they can add in imperfections for your benefit. If you want you can probably watch it in black and white, no sound, and with subtitles on. Now THAT's an authentic movie experience.

Seriously, isn't the point of watching a movie being that you WATCH it?

I mean, I barely watch TV, I watch everything online with the highest possible resolution. I would never imagine watching anything with a fog filter intentionally.
Old 2012-09-23, 16:16   Link #185
thankonomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am sure they can add in imperfections for your benefit. If you want you can probably watch it in black and white, no sound, and with subtitles on. Now THAT's an authentic movie experience.

Seriously, isn't the point of watching a movie being that you WATCH it?

I mean, I barely watch TV, I watch everything online with the highest possible resolution. I would never imagine watching anything with a fog filter intentionally.
I didn't mean to come off as a snob or something. I do mean to watch it as I was very excited once the first trailer came out. If they intended to make it look like a soap opera, the fine. But this film is sort of like a guinea pig with the whole 48fps deal. I guess I'm just a little unsure about the look since I've only heard about it from word-of-mouth from co-workers. As far as the content of the movie itself, I've no doubt that I'll be wowed.
thankonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 16:19   Link #186
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It depends.. sometimes the fog filter creates an artistic or emotional effect that ultra-sharpness simply can't. Sometimes black and white *is* the best way (Kansas in Wizard of Oz).

Personally, I get annoyed at the "we're having a huge battle but we're going to stand too close so its all just confusing and defocus the camera slightly". LOTR did this occasionally so it wasn't so bad but some movies used it all the time to the point I think it just substituted for good stunt work.
Old 2012-09-23, 17:00   Link #187
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

48fps and 3D (though it was filmed at 48fps in 3D as oppose to altered to be 3D).
Old 2012-09-23, 17:15   Link #188
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankonomics View Post
I didn't mean to come off as a snob or something. I do mean to watch it as I was very excited once the first trailer came out. If they intended to make it look like a soap opera, the fine. But this film is sort of like a guinea pig with the whole 48fps deal. I guess I'm just a little unsure about the look since I've only heard about it from word-of-mouth from co-workers. As far as the content of the movie itself, I've no doubt that I'll be wowed.
I am not trying to offend you, mind.

I just don't understand. The complaint is that TV technology has surpassed movies, and that's why mentally some people associate inferior frame rate as movies and higher frame rates as tv shows.

But as someone who stares at a monitor for fun, I don't see the argument. What's the point of the HD Blu Ray and the crazy prices we pay for them, if we intentionally nerf the video quality?

This is purely psychological.

Guess I get easily excited when something that seemed illegal pop up at me. Sorry for the outburst.
Old 2012-09-23, 17:18   Link #189
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm not sure what the phrase "look like a soap opera" is suppose to mean.
Old 2012-09-23, 17:25   Link #190
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm not sure what the phrase "look like a soap opera" is suppose to mean.
TV movies and TV dramas are made at a higher frame rate than movies because filming equipment stagnated. Some people psychologically then associate superior video quality to TV shows, and thus decided that higher video quality is a sign of an inferior product. People are insane.
Old 2012-09-24, 11:27   Link #191
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The best of both worlds is 70mm of course, but due to cost and the sparsity of theatres that can show it 70mm is almost never used these days. "The Master" was shot in 70, and supposedly looks unbelievably great.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 13:25   Link #192
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This is purely psychological.

Of course it is,old habbits die hard

The limitation has pretty much defined the medium until now,it's similar to how if an anime came out with full 24fps animation (instead of something like 12) then you'd have people saying it doesn't look like anime.
Old 2012-09-24, 13:35   Link #193
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well they don't use film anymore. They are digital filming at 5k resolution, at 48 fps, with 3D cameras.
Old 2012-11-27, 06:03   Link #194
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Is there any scrap of New Zealand left not plastered with Hobbit advertising?

Old 2012-11-27, 06:59   Link #195
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Of course it is,old hobbits die hard ...
FIFY

I just knoowww this is what you were actually thinking.

In other news I was quite delighted to see that someone I assume to be Radagast the Brown will be showing up in the Hobbit trilogy. Good call imo....
Old 2012-11-27, 11:31   Link #196
willx
Nyaaan~~

Single book childrens novel -> 3 movies

Outlook is not optimistic
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 11:58   Link #197
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I know what you mean.

Endless "Stretching" Soul
Old 2012-11-27, 12:09   Link #198
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Single book childrens novel -> 3 movies

Outlook is not optimistic
Actually, I have yet to see any novel being incapable of fitting multiple films. Most film adaptations of books are condensed and stripped to bare bones.

For example, TLotR Trilogy really could be 4 films, or even five, if you put all the existing extended scenes into account. Nevermind the fact that the final battle in Hobbiton was never actually filmed.

I guess my point is there had never been a movie adaptation of a book that was too long.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2012-11-27 at 14:41.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 12:25   Link #199
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If I don't miss my guess, we will have:

Film One: Shire to Mirkwood Forest

Film Two: Dale to the Lonely Mountain

Film Three: Battle of the Five Armies, back to the Shire and some of what happened to lead up to the Lord of the Rings.

They are adapting more than just one novel. They are also adapting materials of the surrounding events of that novel that are only mentioned in passing. Details of what Gandalf was doing for most of the novel are from other sources, and would be very entertaining to watch. In the Hobbit, Gandalf mostly just evades questions about what he was doing, or sums them up quickly.

Radagast the Brown for example was from the Fellowship of the Ring, but only there to give Gandalf a message. There is more stuff on him, but it is from other source than the Hobbit. The whole story about what the White Council did during the events of the Hobbit and the Necromancer, were barely covered in the Hobbit, but have major importance to the setup for Lord of the Rings.
Old 2012-11-27, 23:24   Link #200
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

There really going to milk this I wounder if there going to do the extended edition for all 3 films

Tags
movie