AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 74 41.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 68 37.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 9.44%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 8.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.56%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-26, 09:14   Link #221
HinaThePrince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I actually like how Claymore isn't full of high pitched voices but hey maybe I like hearing realistic voices for a change....
I didn't say they should be high-pitched. I said they should fit the characters, which they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
Jean had no emotion? Haha, she was having a hard time when she was Awakened. Weren't those emotions?
They were supposed to be emotions, but sadly, Jean's VA seemingly forgot how to act.

Quote:
This episode was top notch animation quality.
...If you say so. o.o All I know is that the characters stared into the air while talking into each other, their faces and bodies were distorted [and no, not on purpose] and the drawings were lacking in detail.

Quote:
That line was the best thing in the episode?
For me, who wanted to commit suicide by repeatedly banging my head against a big, blunt object for nearly the entire episode, yes, it was. It was one of the few moments I actually enjoyed.

Quote:
Riful's design is supposed to make her huge and terrifiying. No wonder it's something big and something that looks like it has no weak points.
It doesn't look terrifying. It looks like a blob made of clay. |:

Quote:
Ah well, lolololol opinions eh?
lol rly
Old 2007-07-26, 10:02   Link #222
half_awake
...and faintly smiling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinaThePrince View Post
And what the hell is up with Awakened Riful's design? It's like a blob with eyes. Ew. 2/10.
Well, OK, I have to admit they skimped on the Riful animation, no question. For those who have read the manga - this is no spoiler, it's just a difference in detail - you know that her facial features are visible and seem to be made up of the same ribboned layering that her body is made out of (at least she has contour to her face, like vertical grooves). In case you're interested (not a real spoiler, but I cloaked it just in case):

Spoiler for Riful's appearance in the manga:

And I do think the animation has suffered a little bit since the early episodes - the blurry flash with sword strikes on Dauf was a good example.

But I disagree with the voice acting. While this episode didn't include some of the truly great VA (e.g., Irene, Rubel, and Teresa), Riful's voice over is tremendous. It really captures both the childlike and the manipulative nature of her character.

But, to each their own...

Last edited by half_awake; 2007-07-26 at 10:32.
Old 2007-07-26, 10:33   Link #223
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinaThePrince View Post
The only good thing about this episode was Riful's "Hey, I'm trying to share in those people's sentiments, you know!" line. The rest - animation, voice acting, pacing, directing - everything sucked so bad I wanted to bash my head repeatedly against the wall. It's been bothering me for the whole series - no emotion is put into it. It's as flat and monotonous as Galatea's voice. Jean's VA should really be shot. And what the hell is up with Awakened Riful's design? It's like a blob with eyes. Ew. 2/10.
I don't know. But it seems that we've watched a completely different episode. IMHO.

The most disappoint thing to me in this episode was that it didn't have "that person" at the end of the episode. Ah! Don't tell me that I won't see "that" character in anime. But this is anime not manga, so I should bear with it.

This episode is in fact one of the best. IMO. The tension is high and very intriguing. The heartbeat sound when Riful awaken her arm could increase the tension dramatically.

The animation was also very good. At least their face was drawn properly now. I personally don't have any problem with the speed slash in fighting scene because it was exactly the same as I had imagined when I read manga.

In this episode, only Clare could do that because of Irene gift. Galatea's slash was bigger and looked more severe but it was slower than Clare. Clare's slash was like a jab attack. Faster but each slash was weaker. Too bad that their combine strength couldn't harm Duff. I might prefer Clare to fight with more motion like before but her sword shouldn't be called "flash" sword anymore. I thought she looked cool and her sonic boom attack was very good portrayed too. IMHO.

Jean awaken form was very beautiful.

Riful awaken form has less tentacle. But I really like it. She looked creepy and very evil. And her flash speed was very cool too.
Old 2007-07-26, 11:26   Link #224
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Not much more to add that hasn't already been pointed out. I am disappointed over the omissions of key scenes and important dialogue, but then that's my fault for having read the manga.

Objectively? This is probably about as good as the animation can get, given the crew working on the series. Whatever my personal reservations, I have to concede that if I were watching this for the first time, I would be enthralled by it.

(But why is everything always so dark? )

Butterfly Jeane, Riful's true Awakened Form, "teamwork saves the day", etc, are part of what makes both the anime and the manga very engaging by this point. Plus the insights on Jeane's morality and Galatea's pragmatism demonstrate that this isn't your typical shounen drama. It's quite a fair bit more "realistic" (well, as realistic as silver-eyed-girls-in-tights-swinging-giant-swords can get).

Things will get a lot grittier pretty soon. And so far, the episode line-ups are matching my predictions, so once again, I'm not so sure it would be a 26-episode series (but that would be a topic for the other thread.)
Old 2007-07-26, 11:28   Link #225
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Alot of people in this thread would be alot happier if they didn't follow the manga

Hell, the least it would do is make me thankfull not seeing a "...but in the manga" line again

I think it should be obvious after 17 eps you're not reading the manga

I'd rather have the ethics/morality debate concerning Yoma, humans and rabbits
than this broken record repeating through all the episode-threads
Old 2007-07-26, 11:44   Link #226
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Must say a very good episode worthy of a 10 imo. Clare fought Valiantly as she always does and this time she didnt seem she fight desperately. Seeing Miss loli Riful in her true awakened form was freakin scary. Her cheerful and somewhat cute personality sometimes made me forget that shes truly a monster yet she kept her word and said she did not want to kill them. Her compassion surprised me as did her love for Duff i truly thought she was going to let him die. This gets me thinking about the personalites of the other dark dwellers.

Riful had a line that made me laugh. I think it was something like "your the only one that can endure me without breaking" now what does tha sound like you? LOL

Jeane special attack was pretty damn cool the problem I see is it takes too long to get it ready and it seems to be very hard on her the max routation being 21. When i saw it i kept think about the Giga driller move of Simons from Guren Lagann. Also, I kind of liked Jeane sense of honor by saying she owed Clare her life. I mean she was ready to take on Galatea when she again tried to take Clare back. Galatea is not one for failuer so going back empty handed seemd unreal.

From last scene it looks like Claymores are being attacked all over and have been getting owned at every turn. Just when i think i cant love this series anymore i watch the next epsiode and im proven
Old 2007-07-26, 12:32   Link #227
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

There's one thing I didn't like in the animation of the fight: Jeane's second drill.

In the manga, it looked like Clare jumped after her and used the Flash Sword to keep Duph's arms at bay. In the anime, it looks like the Flash Sword suddenly became a kamaitachi.

Other than that, well... I liked the voices, and I'm not that picky about animation.
Old 2007-07-26, 12:38   Link #228
ArmisaelXVIII

Another great episode *-* Interesting how they manage to get out alive of this.

For people saying weather Riful is good or evil. I think that it's just as Teresa said, no everything works so ideally in the real word (or something like that). Maybe Riful isn't a saint, but she isn't completely a devil that just enjoys being evil for no reason.
Old 2007-07-26, 12:41   Link #229
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She's an Awakened Being. I don't think they have the ability to tell good from evil, at least as humans understand it.
Old 2007-07-26, 12:45   Link #230
Lecrew

Send a message via ICQ to Lecrew Send a message via MSN to Lecrew
Besides, at least Riful gave a hint to Clare where to find Isley and Prsicillia to get her revenge, so I guess I would called her neutral.
Old 2007-07-26, 12:46   Link #231
witchking99
Lord Of Spoils

To quote another user:

CLAYMORES!!! Tonight we dine in Hell!!

I guess that by now everyone knows that next Tuesday is the start of The North War arc.But has anyone notice it's also the release date of 300.

Maybe more than just coincidence that the two stories of the Claymores series North War arc and 300 which have certain similarities are released the same day, Hmmm!!!

What do you think about this?
Old 2007-07-26, 12:52   Link #232
half_awake
...and faintly smiling!

wouldn't the movie be called '47'?

Old 2007-07-26, 12:55   Link #233
Lecrew

Send a message via ICQ to Lecrew Send a message via MSN to Lecrew
lol that's so hilarious. I wonder how many single-digit claymores will be there?
Old 2007-07-26, 12:55   Link #234
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchking99 View Post
To quote another user:

CLAYMORES!!! Tonight we dine in Hell!!

What do you think about this?
I think you need to edit that before the mods see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_awake View Post
wouldn't the movie be called '47'?

I would answer but that would be another ban.
Old 2007-07-26, 12:56   Link #235
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

NEVAH!!!!

I would just love to hear those

Anyways Easly must be strong as HELL to tame Priscilla. I guess Priscilla ain`t got nothing agains´t these Dweelers of the deep....SERIOUSLY I HATE THE NAME! ;_;
Old 2007-07-26, 13:00   Link #236
witchking99
Lord Of Spoils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I think you need to edit that before the mods see it.

I would answer but that would be another ban.

Why would I need to edit the post.The phrase is not a spoiler or anything like that.And I was just quoting another user who use the phrase in an earlier episode thread.
Old 2007-07-26, 13:01   Link #237
HinaThePrince

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_awake View Post
But I disagree with the voice acting. While this episode didn't include some of the truly great VA (e.g., Irene, Rubel, and Teresa), Riful's voice over is tremendous. It really captures both the childlike and the manipulative nature of her character.
I agree, Riful's VA is epic. I was referring to Jean, Galatea, and at some parts of this episode, Clare~
Old 2007-07-26, 13:06   Link #238
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

tbh Dwellers of the Deep grates on my nerves alot, Dwellers of the Abyss would have atleast been acceptable to me, but it just seems like a very odd translation choice to me.

As for animation and VA and such, I believe the VA is quite well done most of the time, but the animation for expressions usually get butchered imo (since Teresa arc ended) and, as i sort of predicted, once Clare got the Flash-Sword, the fights became alot less well animated.

Riful's awakened form was done...mildy well, not where near as good as the manga (because you have to compare them if your a reader) I was just disappointed in them "darkening" everything and blotting out some of the finer detail.
Old 2007-07-26, 13:31   Link #239
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Well....you get alliteration if you go with "Dwellers of the Deep". It sounds aesthetically more pleasing than "Dwellers of the Abyss". But of course, since we're discussing aesthetics, everyone is entitled to his opinion of what sounds good and what does not.
Old 2007-07-26, 13:36   Link #240
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Riful is smart, and I think after Duff is beaten she don't have much choice but to either kill the Claymores or leave. If she make one of them awaken, there is no guarantee that the new AO will follow her. In fact she don't seem to have a successful example of a pre-tortured henchman. And if the new AO is hostile and strong enough that Riful alone cannot kill, then she just created a powerful enemy. She need Duff for more than "love" - he is loyal to her and has really powerful offensive and defensive capability, only a little short on the brain and re-generation.

I am a bit surprised by Galatea, being #3, get beaten by Duff in 1-on-1. Compare to her super long range yuki reading ability, she can't seem to use it in battle to dodge or reduce damage like Clare or Teresa.
Closed Thread