AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-08, 19:54   Link #421
mistress_kisara

Nice ep.! Aww poor Nishida, he got distracted by that hairpins guy! Kana-chan is doing extremely well, I hope she pulls out a win! And yay Chihaya is going for a SuoxShibobu combi, I hope she wins!
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 20:30   Link #422
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Have to agree with Retro's decision about the order. Oh man Sudo returns! Didn't expect Nishida to lose, especially that early, and to a first year rank A player. He had so many mental problems going on. He even had his sister dating Retro. Leave it to Chihaya to try and combine both strengths of the Suo and Shinobu. Taichi really has to persevere here. Kana might get a win, don't know about Komano, Nice assist from sensei. This keeps getting better and better.
Old 2013-02-08, 20:31   Link #423
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yay, "Boobie-chan." You go, girl. Sorry my nomination for you as best supporting character didn't make the cut at this year's Choice Awards, but you'll get another chance next year.

I choked up a bit when they all bowed to their sensei. I thought that was an especially touching moment of mutual recognition and respect.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 20:31   Link #424
HandofFate

lol @ Kana being boobie girl.

What was those things they used to tie their kimonos called? Does it just hold up their sleeves?
Old 2013-02-08, 22:49   Link #425
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Damn, if Taichi learns Suo's secret, I guess he's going to incapacitate all the readers Suo's researched on and to become Meijin...bastard!
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I choked up a bit when they all bowed to their sensei. I thought that was an especially touching moment of mutual recognition and respect.
Me too. I'm actually surprised such a small gesture was making me feel this way.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 23:22   Link #426
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Me too. I'm actually surprised such a small gesture was making me feel this way.
I also teared up at that scene as well. It was really beautiful & touching.

Thought this was a fantastic episode. One of the strengths of this series is you really don't know who is going to win at all. It's entirely unpredictable & I am always on the edge of my seat.

Now I do hope Kana at least beats that boy she is playing, "boobies girl"? Someone has to teach that boy some manners.

Now the weekly Chihayafuru withdrawal begins.
Old 2013-02-09, 01:14   Link #427
garbage

that was a very touching bow to the coach...

retro kun is right , what have you got to lose? they're already in the Nationals so why not give it you're all and get the trophy.

man chihaya will really be unbeatable if she's able to combine suo & shinobu's strengths.

and Go Kana-girl! she's the only one taking advantage of Sudo's reading style, i think she might even have same style as Suo being able to figure out Readers like that.

again a wonderful episode.
Old 2013-02-09, 08:53   Link #428
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

At last a good word for Taichi's mom. She teaches him to be strong. And Chihaya appreciates that, too. A nice moment of connection. Taichi's rejoinder, about how we are all made by others, is an important point. As Chihaya played the match, you could see how much Shinobu figures as an influence. But for Harada-sensei, Chihaya was too much revisiting the past. So we get a turning point when Chihaya remembers Tsutomu telling her she has 21 one-syllable cards, and just listens, and takes the card with impossible speed. To learn from others, yet to be yourself, to play on a team, yet as an individual...these are the contradictions that power the greatest players. And Chihaya has not yet opened her heart to her greatest influences: Taichi and most of all Arata, who taught her to play. When she does, she will become unimaginably strong.

Miyauchi-sensei's description of karuta is a key moment in the anime. The central insight, in fact, and spoken by someone who does not know karuta well. Which is why Harada does not say it. Miyauchi has made her own journey, as well.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 09:23   Link #429
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Miyauchi-sensei's description of karuta is a key moment in the anime. The central insight, in fact, and spoken by someone who does not know karuta well. Which is why Harada does not say it. Miyauchi has made her own journey, as well.
I loved the moment when Miyauchi was talking about how anyone can play Karuta. It reminded me of the scene in season 1 when Kana said men & women can play the game equally.

Although technically speaking it is a bit idealistic as at least in the case when she said older and younger people can play equally this is not entirely true. I think someone older would have more of a chance against someone younger compared to many other things but young people still have an advantage in terms of speed & reflexes (the same I imagine as someone in better shape).

Of course I guess you can argue that an older player might have the advantage of experience. I can't remember where I read it but I did read that usually younger players take the championships and like the anime portrays a strong player can win for many years.

However all that being said I actually do ultimately agree Kana & the empress one of the most wonderful things about Karuta is that everyone can play together no matter who they are (well I guess as long as you can understand the poems). There really is a strong sense of community in the series. Where we have mainly focuses on the high school kids, we have met many other characters of different ages & backgrounds who have also showed us their love for karuta and that is a very beautiful thing.

I also liked the moment with Taichi's mom and that was very good advice she gave. Although I am not a guy I will try to remember it for myself.
Old 2013-02-09, 09:35   Link #430
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
If you ask me ending an episode middle of a match should be forbidden, not saying 'but'.
I watched the whole first season in two days and I am already thinking of putting this on hold until it ends. The wait between each episode is just killing me.
Old 2013-02-09, 10:00   Link #431
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
What was those things they used to tie their kimonos called? Does it just hold up their sleeves?
Tasuki. And yes, it's used to hold up their sleeves. I'm surprised they didn't think about using it sooner. It makes it a lot easier for them to move.
Old 2013-02-09, 18:10   Link #432
Yume Hanabi

Another lovely episode. I particularly loved Kana in this one. I'm confident she will win this. Actually, for a while, I believed that it's the ones who Hokuo thought would lose who'll win, but Chihaya seems to be back in the game and I can't see her losing now that she's imitating Suo. It's fishy that Tsutomu's the only one whose match we haven't really seen. It might turn out to be the decisive one...

Can't wait for next week!
Old 2013-02-09, 18:16   Link #433
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think we might see Kanade, Tsutomu and Taichi be victorious with Chihaya losing along with Porky. That would be a great boost to team morale.

Of course, Misuzawa could lose this event then come back to defeat Hokuo in the finals in the larger tournament. I wouldn't be surprised to see Misuzawa lose this time around at all. In fact, it would add a note of realism and drama if our young heroes and heroines were not always invincible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I watched the whole first season in two days and I am already thinking of putting this on hold until it ends. The wait between each episode is just killing me.
I didn't watch this until after it was completed either. I was boycotting high-school shows at the time and was turned off by the shoujo stylings in the first episode. I only gave it another chance after prodding from Kim and Enzo and, like you, watched it all in a couple of days. I'm going to keep with it in real-time this season as nerve-wracking as that will no doubt be.

I really wanted to have an animated version of this avatar, but damn Chihaya keeps moving her head up and down. I tried to find the right set of frames where she kept her face still, but gave up and just went with a single still frame. I may try again some time when I have more patience. (I do have the time at the moment, considering that there is two feet of snow plus drifts surrounding my house here in the Boston suburbs.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-02-09 at 18:28.
Old 2013-02-09, 19:58   Link #434
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume Hanabi View Post
Another lovely episode. I particularly loved Kana in this one. I'm confident she will win this. Actually, for a while, I believed that it's the ones who Hokuo thought would lose who'll win, but Chihaya seems to be back in the game and I can't see her losing now that she's imitating Suo. It's fishy that Tsutomu's the only one whose match we haven't really seen. It might turn out to be the decisive one...

Can't wait for next week!
Actually, if I have a complaint at all about Chihayafuru it's that Tsutomu doesn't get nearly as much focus - inside the sport or out - as he should. He's a really interesting character but he seems to be a victim of the "only so much oxygen in the room" problem.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 20:13   Link #435
HandofFate

Is this the first time Kana's boob size was mentioned?
Old 2013-02-09, 20:21   Link #436
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Is this the first time Kana's boob size was mentioned?
Not even close.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 20:41   Link #437
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I loved the moment when Miyauchi was talking about how anyone can play Karuta. It reminded me of the scene in season 1 when Kana said men & women can play the game equally.
I'd have to rewatch season one, but don't the genders compete separately at the professional level like they do in Go and Shougi? Chihaya wants to become "Queen" not "Meijin." It's a big issue in Shion no Ou, too.

As a Westerner, I never understood the rationale for this at all. Since physical strength is largely irrelevant in these games, it seems purely a patriarchal notion about womens' abilities versus mens'. Women don't play professional poker at separate tables, for instance.
Old 2013-02-09, 21:19   Link #438
Kirarakim

Quote:
I'd have to rewatch season one, but don't the genders compete separately at the professional level like they do in Go and Shougi? Chihaya wants to become "Queen" not "Meijin." It's a big issue in Shion no Ou, too.

As a Westerner, I never understood the rationale for this at all. Since physical strength is largely irrelevant in these games, it seems purely a patriarchal notion about womens' abilities versus mens'. Women don't play professional poker at separate tables, for instance.

Funny enough my friend (who I successfully got to watch this series) said the same thing to me today. But my interpretation of this (and I am just speculating) is not that they think men and women can't compete together but isn't it nicer for publicity to have two champions a man and a woman each year.

After all don't men & women still compete against each other at other times?
Old 2013-02-09, 21:58   Link #439
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Quote:

True, but this is not entirely absent from the West. There are separate women-only variants of official chess tournaments and the like.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 22:17   Link #440
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
After all don't men & women still compete against each other at other times?
Perhaps. But the main championships do segregate male and female players. Here's a bit from the Wiki page on competitive karuta:
Quote:
The Japanese national championship tournament of competitive karuta is held every January at Omi Jingu (a Shinto Shrine) in Ōtsu, Shiga. Each winner of the men and women division are given the title as the Grand Champion - Meijin for males, and Queen for females. The national championship for high school students is held every July.
I can't find anything else about this subject as it applies to karuta through a Google search. Indeed one of the four pages my search returned was this very one!

In championship contract bridge, there are separate women's events, but women can also compete in open events and earn points that apply to both the womens' rankings and the overall world ranking of players. Mixed pair events have been a common feature of competitive bridge for decades.

In chess, there is again a separate women's division, but "[u]nlike most sports, women are able to compete against men in chess, and so some women do not compete for the women's title. Notably, the world's top rated female player for the past 20 years, Judit Polgár (and by far the highest FIDE-rated woman in chess history), has never competed for the women's title."

As for shogi,
Quote:
As of 2012, there are two organizations for shogi professional players in Japan: Japan Shogi Association (abbr. JSA, founded in 1947) for men and women and its fork Ladies Professional Shogi-players' Association of Japan (abbr. LPSA, founded in 2007) for women. Both organize shogi tournaments for professionals. They may co-organize or affiliate amateur tournaments.

JSA has two ranks of professionals, professionals (棋士 kishi?) that are nominally sex-unlimited but de facto men-only, and women-only female professionals (女流棋士 Joryūkishi?). Sometimes professionals are addressed as seikishi (正棋士?), a word from the Go world for distinction from other player ranks. Professional ranks and female professional ranks at JSA are offset. In 2006, JSA admitted women to the ranks of professionals, not promoted from Shoreikai (奨励会?), leagues of aspirant professional players, but through an admission designed for female professionals. No female however has got professional status yet through this new admission system.
So while gender segregation seems common in these types of competitions, the restrictions in Japan seem stricter than in Western games.

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports