Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-19, 18:40   Link #3021
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Animation and artwork are two very different things. The latter is what many viewers are most concerned about. If something doesn't look "pretty", there's a good possibility it'll be dismissed by many viewers today. And did you not read my post? You just proved my point about those very viewers watching crap all because they're so focused on the exterior layer (artwork/animation) of the show.
well if you say artwork and that includes coloring then fine i get it, i thought your specifically saying animation as most ecchi and shounen anime have low quality animation, i say the old shows do not have much good coloring than today's anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You're wrong. One Piece is also done by Toei Animation (the same company that did DragonBall). That being said, it also has various styles of animation/artwork because of the different teams working on the series.
i know its done by Toei studio too, im not that a consistent viewer of One Piece but when i watch random episodes and youtube videos their are not much difference on the artwork when i look at it, compared to that to Naruto (and Shippuuden) you can tell that their is a lot of artwork variation between arcs and episodes
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 04:29   Link #3022
Peanutbutter

No DB Kai this week?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 04:56   Link #3023
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
No DB Kai this week?
There is an episode today. 18 got puked out, and it ended in Cell's self-destructing sequence, fat Cell and all.

Next week concludes the arc.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 05:13   Link #3024
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottocycle View Post
Next week concludes the arc.
Nope, the Tokyo Marathon 2011 is next week during Kai's slot, so 98 is definitely the magic number.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 05:14   Link #3025
Peanutbutter

And I was wondering why my usual places are taking longer than usual.
Old 2011-02-20, 06:05   Link #3026
Blaat

rotflol @ the preview, spoiling big things in the previews still cracks me up after 94 episodes.
Old 2011-02-20, 06:52   Link #3027
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
rotflol @ the preview, spoiling big things in the previews still cracks me up after 94 episodes.
At least they didn't show:

Spoiler:

Feels like the entire thing will end at 97. Then 98 will be Trunks' part.
Old 2011-02-20, 11:46   Link #3028
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Notice the ironic use of music here.

The theme of Vegeta's despair as he fails to vaporize Cell is played here to emphasize Cell's hopelessness and terror as everything he throws at Son Gohan falls off the boy like so much rain.

And THEN "One Strike of Victory", Vegeta's "Final Flash" thunderously roars into the speakers as Son Gohan reflects the monster's Kamehameha back with his own and humiliatingly tears it apart with triumphant fury.

The sheer power of this recut sent shivers down my spine.
Old 2011-02-20, 12:04   Link #3029
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Gohan is sounding more and more like his father. What a stark contrast to his adorable voice when he does the "this episode is sponsored by x company" at the end of the show.

Anyways, back to the story. Did Gohan have that smirk in DBZ and mess around with Cell?
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 22:16   Link #3030
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Yes, unfortunately he did. Super Saiyajin Level 2 basically awakens the beast sleeping within every Saiyajin's true nature, turning even the kind hearted Son Gohan into a cold blooded and sadistic murderer.
Old 2011-02-20, 23:06   Link #3031
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Boy I remember the first time I saw this episode, it was on a $hitty 3,000 times dubbed-over SVHS tape...Lines all over the damn picture, and with tracking problems galore, we absolutely LOVED it^^...

Cartoon Network's original run by Pioneer (before Funimation) with the better voices no one knows about, used to always end on the episode where Goku landed on Namek >_<...It was infuriating and it made us search hi and low for any eps we could get...Hence the crappy but awesome Gohan 2 vs. Cell eps which were actually the first Super-Sayain stuff I ever saw, so this episode brought back lots of memories (Yes even annoyed memories of how the the animation teams switched midway giving us an awesome drawn Gohan2 and a rolleyes Gohan2 ) ....

As enjoyable as it was seeing it again in Kai, I gotta give Funimation's version the win...I remember being on the edge of my seat and totally hyped up when Gohan started turning those Cell Juniors into Barbecue ash...It's mostly because a bitchin' music track was used that really captured the moment...I know Kai just uses like 4 BGM's and for the most part they do the job, but maybe they should have dropped an insert song in like "Sayain Blood" (for Vegeta vs. Freiza), because I just didn't feel it as much this go, although killing the Cell Jr.'s somehow looked more graphic this time around...
Old 2011-02-21, 12:54   Link #3032
Ahiru77
あひる

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Yes, unfortunately he did. Super Saiyajin Level 2 basically awakens the beast sleeping within every Saiyajin's true nature, turning even the kind hearted Son Gohan into a cold blooded and sadistic murderer.
You used "sadistic" and "Gohan" in the same sentence. What has the world come to ?

Angel...thou has fallen, thus thou lost thy wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
As enjoyable as it was seeing it again in Kai, I gotta give Funimation's version the win...I remember being on the edge of my seat and totally hyped up when Gohan started turning those Cell Juniors into Barbecue ash...It's mostly because a bitchin' music track was used that really captured the moment...I know Kai just uses like 4 BGM's and for the most part they do the job, but maybe they should have dropped an insert song in like "The Lone Warrior", because I just didn't feel it as much this go, although killing the Cell Jr.'s somehow looked more graphic this time around...
Fixed. I concur.

Last edited by Ahiru77; 2011-02-21 at 13:21.
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 16:09   Link #3033
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
God watching Gohan just toss Cell around like he's nothing is a beautiful thing to watch. Think it's fine for him to get a bit of a darker streak during this fight. Cell has caused so much death and devastation that he deserved getting owned like this. Absolutely nothing was slowing Gohan down and the music was spot on.

I can't get on Gohan much for not finishing him off sooner. It's not like Vegeta's blunder in letting him go and absorb 18. Cell definitely deserved some pain and really with that big of a power gap there didn't seem to be a rush.
Old 2011-02-21, 17:03   Link #3034
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I never was a fan of Gohan vs Cell, so i'm not that huge on this part of the story. Some really nice music placement in this episode though, so it was worth my time.

Sure that is one hell of a huge spoiler preview, though you could skip watching it and only check out the episode title, and you'd still see a huge spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I can't get on Gohan much for not finishing him off sooner. It's not like Vegeta's blunder in letting him go and absorb 18. Cell definitely deserved some pain and really with that big of a power gap there didn't seem to be a rush.
Well i can. An enemy like Cell can easily have a few hidden tricks up his sleeves, so it's best to finish him off when he had the chance.
Old 2011-02-21, 21:06   Link #3035
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

I always thought it was clever of Toriyama to bring back Cell's 2nd stage here. It never really got any good hits in the first time around and it turns out, in effect, to be Cell's trump card.

Next ep is going to be another great moment, too. Maybe we'll get some new soundtrack action out of it.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 22:39   Link #3036
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

If Gohan finish things too quickly, then we won't have our sexy 18 still being alive
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 22:56   Link #3037
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Well i can. An enemy like Cell can easily have a few hidden tricks up his sleeves, so it's best to finish him off when he had the chance.
Then why not blame nearly every character in this series for not getting things done faster. Other than Trunks trying to beat the second stage Cell quickly, everyone else was more than willing to take their time. Goku let Freeza power right up, Vegeta let Cell get to his perfect form after spending a lengthy time beating him up, Freeza played around for a long time with Goku when he could have finished him off, and of course Cell let Gohan power right up via anger. Can say they all made mistakes, but Gohan's miss is hardly worse than anyone else. Besides again with that massive gap there isn't a usual worry about hidden tricks.
Old 2011-02-21, 23:41   Link #3038
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^What are we arguing here? Normal Super Saiyan requires a large amount of anger and//or hate, SSJ2 requires exponentially more as exampled by Gohan in this arc...SSJ3 (atleast Gotenks) makes you ridiculously arrogant...Gohan was as mad as he's ever been, and slightly arrogant with his new found powers...

Remember how bonkers Gotenks was when they powered up? They don't wanna listen to anyone because they don't think anyone can perceive their power...Gohan, slightly older but a kid nonetheless experience a bit of that same hubris...

What's crazy about all of this is that Vegeta (my fav character BTW) never reached more than ascended Saiyan in the entire series (Not including his Majin Powerup or Bulma cheat coding him to get to SSJ4 in GT)...Gohan on the other hand seemingly never became stronger than SSJ2...Mystic Gohan never came across to me as on the same level although scouter numbers prolly don't confirm that...
Old 2011-02-22, 00:33   Link #3039
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Gohan on the other hand seemingly never became stronger than SSJ2...Mystic Gohan never came across to me as on the same level although scouter numbers prolly don't confirm that...
Mystic Gohan was the strongest non-fused character in the Buu arc. SSJ3 Goku and SSJ3 Gotenks were inferior to him.
Old 2011-02-22, 00:36   Link #3040
sbk

I thought it was a nice touch that SSJ2 had a drawback (Gohan's personality tainted, he becomes sadistic). It revisits the idea that SSJ taints your mind unless you're used to the transformation, like was seen in the Freeza saga (Goku became way more aggressive when he became SSJ and he said something like "while I still have some reason left" when he told Gohan to go home).
sbk is offline   Reply With Quote