AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-01, 15:52   Link #31541
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I called it "faith" to imply that the person "creating" it isn't the lier, but the believer.

I think you're right. I think that although chick Beato knows that it was a simple trick, she still chooses to believe it's magic. When I coin it as "faith", I am encompassing this concept as well.
The creator could also believe it though. In fact, couldn't the creator believe it even if nobody else does? The main thing is somebody is presented the gold and chooses to embrace it. Whether that's a person doing it to themselves out of genuine belief or self-deception, or a person deceiving others or simply representing a belief they hold for others. Still, I wouldn't use "faith" as that's something of a loaded term. A gold truth can be approached rationally, I think, by a person who believes the gold truth to accurately represent reality as they understand it, so long as their misunderstanding is wrong in some fashion.

As an example, let's say I observe that the stars in the sky appear to rotate in a mostly regular pattern around the earth. From this I profess that the Earth is the center of the universe. Supplemented with other information (such as religion and other observations), this is a truth that people would come to accept, although the conclusion is in fact faulty. However, it would take a much deeper degree of rational study to conclude things like the transversals of the planets do not conform to the model of a geocentric universe. And a greater degree of courage still from there to conclude that the "gold truth" of Earth at the center of the universe is wrong.

Nobody deceived me into believing the Earth was the center of the universe and I wasn't deceiving others when I suggested it to them. They believed me because my facts (red) appeared to present that scenario as the most reasonable truth. We weren't exactly accepting on faith that my conclusion followed from my premise, we were just wrong. Jumping to conclusions. Failing to notice all the data.

I'm not disputing your claims, just that I'd use a different word than "faith," because it implies the person accepting it isn't doing so based on reasonable facts that appear conclusive (but aren't) when in fact they could be.
__________________
Redaction of the Golden Witch
I submit that a murder was committed in 1996.
This murder was a "copycat" crime inspired by our tales of 1986.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 20:38   Link #31542
jjblue1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
The creator could also believe it though. In fact, couldn't the creator believe it even if nobody else does? The main thing is somebody is presented the gold and chooses to embrace it. Whether that's a person doing it to themselves out of genuine belief or self-deception, or a person deceiving others or simply representing a belief they hold for others. Still, I wouldn't use "faith" as that's something of a loaded term. A gold truth can be approached rationally, I think, by a person who believes the gold truth to accurately represent reality as they understand it, so long as their misunderstanding is wrong in some fashion.

As an example, let's say I observe that the stars in the sky appear to rotate in a mostly regular pattern around the earth. From this I profess that the Earth is the center of the universe. Supplemented with other information (such as religion and other observations), this is a truth that people would come to accept, although the conclusion is in fact faulty. However, it would take a much deeper degree of rational study to conclude things like the transversals of the planets do not conform to the model of a geocentric universe. And a greater degree of courage still from there to conclude that the "gold truth" of Earth at the center of the universe is wrong.

Nobody deceived me into believing the Earth was the center of the universe and I wasn't deceiving others when I suggested it to them. They believed me because my facts (red) appeared to present that scenario as the most reasonable truth. We weren't exactly accepting on faith that my conclusion followed from my premise, we were just wrong. Jumping to conclusions. Failing to notice all the data.

I'm not disputing your claims, just that I'd use a different word than "faith," because it implies the person accepting it isn't doing so based on reasonable facts that appear conclusive (but aren't) when in fact they could be.
That's more or less why I call it someone's belief.
I can believe in something because I valued all the fact and that seems the truth and I can believe in something merely out of faith or out of personal will.

All this regardless of my belief being the truth or not.

Probably whoever read Umineko, valued all the facts and believes Yasu is Ikuko can say it in gold and whoever believes Yasu isn't Ikuko can say it in gold as well.

In the same way if someone heard by a friend that Yasu is/isn't Ikuko and believes him, even if he had never read Umineko, he too will be able to say it in gold.

But more interesting, who believes that Rosa is the culprit is likely able to say it in gold and his gold truth can be stronger or weaker than the red truth Yasu did it, according to the strenght of his belief (which can be based on reasoning or an 'I heard it from my friend' or 'I dislike Rosa and I want her to be the culprit' or whatever else...)

Going along on this line probably the game master could have said the description of all the fantasy scenes in gold if he was good enough to delude himself that was all it went...
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 22:03   Link #31543
Wanderer
Goat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gnawing away at Rokkenjima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
The creator could also believe it though. In fact, couldn't the creator believe it even if nobody else does?
It's more than "could"; they have to.

What I've been trying to say all along is that the creator and the believer are one and the same. Gold truth is not "presented", since its creation is the belief itself.

Gold truth can be the result of belief in presented information, but it is not that presented information itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'm not disputing your claims, just that I'd use a different word than "faith," because it implies the person accepting it isn't doing so based on reasonable facts that appear conclusive (but aren't) when in fact they could be.
Fair enough. But I still can't see a better term for it.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 13:02   Link #31544
haguruma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Fair enough. But I still can't see a better term for it.
I thought a long lot about this and was turning it around in my head. I have a problem with the term "faith" as well, because it implies exactly that the one presenting this truth must have faith in it's validity on the same level as the red truth. I think this is the fundamental point where the to "truths" branch off from another.

I would call the red truth "the truth of the world" and the golden truth "the truth of the heart". The truth in the world of Umineko is that everybody except Eva died between the 4th and 6th October 1986 and even the one who survived is so crippled that he regards "the survivor" in himself as nothing more than a ghost. Yet Ange sets her heart on her family living on, it is not something that can be proven in any way, it can only be felt.

I would consider it, setting your heart on something so decisively, that no evidence, no proof, no testimony can convince you of something else.
Rosa went to get the key, thus the chapel must be locked.
This corpse has 6 toes therefore it is Kinzo's.

EDIT: Btw because I can just check the anime right now. Did Rosa try the door in the VN before going to get the key? Or was she just told that it would be locked and ran to the guesthouse?
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 13:06   Link #31545
Drifloon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
She did try the door, yes. Though that whole scene is unreliable given that Shannon and Kanon are both there.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 14:44   Link #31546
qno2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Especially given Will's hint as well, about the "gold truth locking the lock of illusions." Not that this makes the discussion about how to exactly interpret the gold truth any clearer, but it's pretty clear what he's implying.

Though it's kind of odd that Rosa went for the key while the cousins were still asleep, considering that Yasu wanted to present this mystery to Battler. Wouldn't it be way more impressive if they'd first lead the cousins, and thus Battler, to the "locked" chapel, just for the key to turn up in Rosa's bag, seemingly having been there the entire night? Maybe something did indeed go wrong. For example, the door, old and rusty as it might be (implied by the magic scene later), refused to open when they wanted to check on the adults.
Possibly Will's hint is about how the twilight was supposed to be, minus the little accident.

If everyone still believed that it's just a game, they'd obviously be concerned if they can't open the door to see how they're doing. Maybe Yasu was the first to check the door, when she went there to paint the symbol, and got flustered enough to call her accomplices.


Crack Prime-theory: Battler didn't actually go to Rokkenjima.

Two possibilites:

a) he got so drunk the night before the trip that he forgot... and a car hit him on the road. Not sure whether Kawabata actually confirmed that he went there. Quite crack but not crack enough.

b) The hint was there from the start - FALL FALL KYAKYAKAYKYAKYAKYA. When Kawabata showed off his new boat Battler fell off without him or anyone noticing. Well, not everyone; Maria obviously saw it, but who believes her anyway? Only later, on Rokkenjima after Kawabata had already left, it dawned on them.
Erika's made-up backstory is obviously just another hint. Or Battler's absence during EP7. As well as the "third day"; Dlanor can't touch this.

Yasu was so disappointed and frustrated that she just pushed the headship on one of the adults (Eva in this case), lead her to the tunnel towards Kuwadorian to go meet "father" in form of the ring, said "fuck it" and blew the rest up.

= Kawabata accidental culprit theory. <What do you think, everyone?!>

If this was the reason for all my hardship in life, I'd throw myself from a skyscraper too.
qno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 15:53   Link #31547
jjblue1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by qno2 View Post
Crack Prime-theory: Battler didn't actually go to Rokkenjima.

Two possibilites:

a) he got so drunk the night before the trip that he forgot... and a car hit him on the road. Not sure whether Kawabata actually confirmed that he went there. Quite crack but not crack enough.

b) The hint was there from the start - FALL FALL KYAKYAKAYKYAKYAKYA. When Kawabata showed off his new boat Battler fell off without him or anyone noticing. Well, not everyone; Maria obviously saw it, but who believes her anyway? Only later, on Rokkenjima after Kawabata had already left, it dawned on them.
Erika's made-up backstory is obviously just another hint. Or Battler's absence during EP7. As well as the "third day"; Dlanor can't touch this.

Yasu was so disappointed and frustrated that she just pushed the headship on one of the adults (Eva in this case), lead her to the tunnel towards Kuwadorian to go meet "father" in form of the ring, said "fuck it" and blew the rest up.
LOL

Well, in a fashion this would match with Ep 7, in which Battler didn't went on the island for random reasons... (probably Bern didn't want/couldn't let him him to meet Will...)
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 16:04   Link #31548
qno2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
We could go even further: Ange was convinced in EP4 that if she hadn't "betrayed" Maria, nothing would've happened. Maybe Maria didn't just know about Battler's fall, maybe she pushed him off to get back at Ange! Gives "FALL FALL KYAKYAKYAKYAKYAKYAKYA" a whole new meaning - it's actually "FALL!!!!! FALL!!!!! KYAKYAKYAKYAKYA!"

Of course, had Battler returned a year earlier either Kawabata's tuning hadn't gone out of hand yet (just read the scene in EP1, apparently he has been tinkering continuously with his boat) or Ange was still part of Mariage Sorciere (when exactly did their breakup happen anyway? I always assumed it happened during the 1985-family conference). A year later... and Yasu might've not been there to blow everyone up.

No wonder Battler seemed pretty clueless in EP1-4!

Alright, that's enough crack from me for now. Sorry if those kind of "lol-theories" belong to the fanfiction topic as this is obviously just as serious as the parallels between Willy Wonka and Beatrice. Though, in the end do we know whether Battler was really there? Sure, everyone expected him to be there...
qno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 16:46   Link #31549
RandomAvatarFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Willy Wonka and Beatrice.
Oh my gosh.... that gives new meaning to the Land of Sweets of EP2 First Twilight... the six who got their own golden ticket?
__________________

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 16:55   Link #31550
qno2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
Oh my gosh.... that gives new meaning to the Land of Sweets of EP2 First Twilight... the six who got their own golden ticket?
Yeah, Renall and AuraTwilight were at it (again).

Oh god, too off-topic. Must talk about Umineko. Erm, EP2, 4-6th Twilight. Shannon doesn't even need to hide the weapon she killed herself with: after shooting George and Gohda, to make the magic perfect she threw her gun out of the window (and locked it again)...

...sat in front of the Natsuhi's night table... put the stake on the night table...

...pointed the stake upwards. Imagine the rest. Both her head and the stake were lying on the night table. She didn't hide the weapon, it was lying right there.

It's hard to get a good grasp of the stake so staking is normally impossible. Unless the "victim" is pretty "willing" and "committed" to the staking process, then it might work.

Not important, just another take on it and probably common knowledge: but I saw some here refer to her "hiding the weapon she kills herself with via a trick as usual" in EP4. "as usual" = there is only one other moment where she is actually dead (AND observed) before the end of the game in EP1-4. Therefore they seem to refer to EP2, so I thought that its still worth to mention this. I don't think she pulled this one in EP4 though: luckily there is a hole in the ground right beside her for a gun to fall into.

Last edited by qno2; 2013-01-06 at 17:16.
qno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 18:23   Link #31551
RandomAvatarFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
The forehead smashing stake on Natsuhi's night table was what I thought the commonly accepted theory was.

I still don't know how she managed to kill herself in EP4 though now that I think about it...
__________________

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 18:49   Link #31552
qno2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Thought so too but... hey, I didn't want to go too much off-topic now.

In EP4: assuming that the grate is large enough for medium-sized objects to fall through it's just a pretty simple trick:

For example, attach something heavy to the gun with a rope (my english fails me here and I'm not a gun-expert to begin with... at the part of the gun that points towards the user), let the weight hang through the the grate; the weight should pull it down after you stop holding it - shoot.
Though there might be issues with the depicted distance between Shannon and the well.
Even easier: just stand above the well, look down right into the barrel... carries the risk that the gun might not fall through the grate or the body's placement being too obvious (too close).

Just like Kumasawa and Gohda in the same EP, looks like more than it actually is. In some other mystery novels you'd get some weird, convoluted structure that somehow made it possible to achieve the same thing. Especially in something like Detective Conan.

In fact, Nanjo and Shannon are - as far as I know - more less the only ones that could've pulled this one off, and Nanjo has this one nifty red about him and murder. I don't want to know how Rosa managed to fall on shotgun she killed herself with (if that is KNMs explanation), while still hitting her head with the bullet. Well, there is one exception though: anyone from "Kyrie's group" except for Kyrie could've hid the gun "somewhere in the woods" (another dumb trick: with remote fire... just block the trigger with a piece of wood that's attached to a line while a tree-branch exerts pressure on it... pull the line when ready; add more convoluted tricks to get rid of the line and wood), so here goes Krausstrice.

I just highly doubt that Ryukishi has used any such "complex" tricks for just this one thing because he never used any during the story. Or they were at least not necessary.

Last edited by qno2; 2013-01-06 at 19:27.
qno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 19:28   Link #31553
RandomAvatarFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
You know...

Thinking about EP4, and Kyrie's group, there were only two people who didn't do anything, and that's Nanjo and Kyrie.

The others had fought.

Shannon and Kanon linked up to fight against the Chiesters. Krauss had his battle against Virgilia's strongest Goat.

Nanjo... he... ran super fast for someone his weight and age? Kyrie... she hid for a while inside a locked room.

Especially for Kyrie, who had been shown to slow time down during her fight against Leviathan in EP3, in EP4 she was reduced to running away.

It's been a while since the last time I've read EP6, but even that had boiled down to the same thing: Kyrie running away to lock herself in a room.

This contradicts the images of her given in Bern's EP7 Tea Party, and her EP8 game. I'm willing to claim that the images of Ep4 represents a form of their actions: Shannon and Kanon personalities were fighting for control against Beatrice, Krauss may have fought against Yasu physically even... but Kyrie and Nanjo? They ran and hid. Any reason they may have had in aiding Yasu may have just been because they trembled in front of Yasu, and Kyrie was never really all that to begin with.

Even what she tells Jessica about "killing Asumu," fits this. She was "prepared to take Asumu's life herself." so that when Asumu did die do to circumstances beyond Kyrie's control, Kyrie still says that she did it herself.. But that's just the thing: Kyrie did not kill Asumu, and this will not change regardless of what Kyrie claim.

I think Kyrie is just a sham, and is not as mentally prepared to carry out a mass murder as shown in Ep7 and 8.
__________________

Without love this picture cannot be seen.

Last edited by RandomAvatarFan; 2013-01-06 at 19:40.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 19:30   Link #31554
AC-Phoenix
Detective
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 31
I heard KnM's Rosa=Beatrice theory recently too...
Though it doesn't line up.

At least not if we all agree that the culprit is the same for every game.
here are a few of my problems with Rosa=Beatrice

It is true that Rosa would have an easy time dressing up as beatrice - she is a fashin designer after all, and her clothes have pretty much the same color pattern as the ones Piece-Beato used in the 2nd Game.

So yeah I rewatched the anime as it was said Ryokishi hid additonal hints in there a few things I realized there for the first time:

- The locked/unlocked status of a room is almost never checked by the detective, in most cases it isn't checked at all and everyone just assumes them to be locked simply because their owners have the habit of locking them.


- Genji took a knife out of the kitchen. both Kumasawa as well as Najo had their throats cut open in the second game - it is later shown that he still has that very knife even at the point were He stays behind in the kitchen while the other 3 leave. He is also the one to discover the corpses of Najo and Kumasawa.

- You never actually see Kanon Slit their throates, you do however see how Shanon jumps back. if Genji had given her the knife she could have easily done that in the process.


When 'Kanon' came in claiming Rosa is the culprit whiel having a would you can pretty much assume that he is telling the truth, however please don't forget:
At the time Jessica was killed, Rosa was with several other people.

Now lets compare all this to a few rules we already know about:

Batler's sin and Beatrice:
It is a sin Batler comitted against Beatrice, 6 yeras ago, meaning while he was 12.
I saw someone claiming the sin was him being Maria's father(Comment at the KnM Video) ... Aehm, hello? Its not like we haven't seen Rosa flirting with him, and going easy on him no matter how much he opposed her, and cut into their family affairs. however please note: Maria is NINE, not six, nine. Meaning battler would have been 9 when Maria was born.

So nope being Maria's father was most certainly not his sin against Rosa. In fact the only other way you could connect Rosa to battler is the theory some people brought up in the past that Rodulf is Maria's father.
Still no sin Battler --> Rosa

Rosa Culprit:
No matter how you loo at it, Rosa couldn't have done any crime after the first twilight.
The first one was indeed possible for her, the others though not.
So she would have needed genji's help. He was the only one who could have comitted all the other crimes, as Shanon/Kanon was with Jessica at that time, leaving Genji unaccounted for.

However as soon as you turn Genji into her accomplice for the other murder's he becomes much more than an accomplice - he becomes a culprit.

Accdoring to Will none of the servants must be the culprit

George accomplice:
What applies to Rosa in game two applies to him as well, during several murders he was within eyereach of battler thus not able to commit any crime.


then there is another rule one must not overlook:
There are no accomplices. There is but one killer and he did it all alone.

And here a soft rule:
'Beatrice' killed them all

Adding that and a few other things together only few arguments for Rosatrice are left, like for example 2nd game Beato's apparance and the fact that Rosa was the one having seen her dead - so she could have devleoped a 'Beatrice personality'.
__________________
Those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat it - Santayana

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 20:30   Link #31555
qno2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan
This contradicts the images of her given in Bern's EP7 Tea Party, and her EP8 game. I'm willing to claim that the images of Ep4 represents a form of their actions: Shannon and Kanon personalities were fighting for control against Beatrice, Krauss may have fought against Yasu physically even... but Kyrie and Nanjo? They ran and hid.
EP4 has way too many unknown variables anyway. Sure, Kanon was the 9th victim and the first of Kyrie's group - it does tell us a bit about the order, but to find the one "logic" that makes sense out of everything...

Though it is possible that Kyrie was the first actual human of the group to die: after making the phone call - as per Yasu's instrcution - she's shot... considering your points: Krauss witnessed this, tried to talk some sense into Yasu. However he does not succeed and starts running towards the back door, *bang* another one down. Don't know where exactly his body was placed, if he was actually turned as if running inside he might've run into Nanjo who came to check what is going on.

Forced? Well... it's EP4, not a whole lot we can do here.

Nanjo being reduced to running away is quite fitting for him actually. After seeing all that he'd better get the F out.

First twilight? ... well, if Kanon is the ninth it must've happened already. So what happened there exactly? How did she get Kyrie and Krauss (it'd be so much easier with Rudolf instead) to play along? Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan
Even what she tells Jessica about "killing Asumu," fits this. She was "prepared to take Asumu's life herself." so that when Asumu did die do to circumstances beyond Kyrie's control, Kyrie still says that she did it herself.. But that's just the thing: Kyrie did not kill Asumu, and this will not change regardless of what Kyrie claim.

I think Kyrie is just a sham, and is not as mentally prepared to carry out a mass murder as shown in Ep7 and 8.
Possible. In the end, EP8 itself said that the Kyrie (or Rudolf's family) culprit theory doesn't make more sense than the others.
Similiar to how George is probably not mentally prepared to kill everyone for Shannon, despite what a magic scene said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix
- The locked/unlocked status of a room is almost never checked by the detective, in most cases it isn't checked at all and everyone just assumes them to be locked simply because their owners have the habit of locking them.
Definitely. It's amusing how much they talk about keys without checking this first, blasted unreliable narrator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix
George accomplice:
What applies to Rosa in game two applies to him as well, during several murders he was within eyereach of battler thus not able to commit any crime.
It's quite obvious to me that George was only added for EP3. Even Natsuhi's locked room... you could, with Rosa as the culprit, still claim that we don't have Battler's point of view for what Rosa was doing the entire time. Maybe Rosa threatened him and whatnot, went to the "toilet", etc. without Battler saying anything.

He got threatened and is no longer reliable or at least conveniently hiding part of his knowledge. There is no red that Rosa never left the parlor in this timeframe (I know I know, dumb and cheap argument, don't tell me ). Therefore, Rosa, who has the master keys, could've killed them; George is not necessary.

So... everything could be done with Rosa in KNM's theory (albeit some ... well, Shkanon has its own weird explanations sometimes, let's just not talk any more about this aspect), though EP4 is even harder and weirder to make sense out of. Except for EP3. But KNM wanted Rosa to be the culprit, what a quandery!
It is a common rule in science that the more you have to change and adapt aspects of your theory, the more special cases exist, the more its credibility has to be doubted. Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix
then there is another rule one must not overlook:
There are no accomplices. There is but one killer and he did it all alone.
That's new - is it one of Van Dines rules? Those don't necessarily apply. And do you mean "accomplices in murder" or "accomplices in protecting the murderer"? Because Shkanon certainly has a few of the latter that probably know what's going on, plus one of the siblings as helper (EP1: Eva, EP2: Rosa, EP3: Krauss?, EP4: Kyrie, Krauss, probably more), the "accomplice that's doesn't know anything". And depending on whether you think that Yasu claimed to prepare a mystery game even more, namely nearly everyone. In fact, if you follow http://goatsreadingseacats.tumblr.com/ you'll notice that Genji was hanging out with Yasu the entire time, providing a steady alibi.

And there could be multiple murderers, at least for EP3... Will even implies in EP3 that Eva might've actually killed Natsuhi and Krauss ("the obvious culprit wields a mutable blade", which was clearly her role in that episode). At least I can't remember a rule that there can't be more.



There is an interview where Ryukishi claims that if you do not understand a certain action by Beatrice, you do not understand the story. With Shkanon it's not hard to understand, but I couldn't make the logic work with Rosatrice (and how KNM explained the love duel). Sure, in theory I can accept the notion that Ryukishi might be lying to protect those that found the answer, but to say "if you don't understand this, you don't understand the story" is a mighty strong statement to still lie about.


Well, in general I don't have anything against them or anyone just proposing different and new theories for fun. I personally enjoy trying to make Kyrietrice work (then again, getting her out of the chapel in EP2 was the biggest problem anyway and with loads of assumptions it's possible to twist the red).


Since I'm already posting... I feel bad for bringing up this topic. I'm sorry. So sorry, please don't hit me. Everyone here has to bang their head against this issue at least once, right? Just ignore me.

Spoiler for Protect your sanity, it's EP5 parlor-time:


So sorry. Let's just not discuss this and move on.

Last edited by qno2; 2013-01-06 at 20:49.
qno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 21:02   Link #31556
Valkama
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Van Dine's 12th. There must be but one culprit, no matter how many murders are committed. The culprit may, of course, have a minor helper or co-plotter; but the entire onus must rest on one pair of shoulders: the entire indignation of the reader must be permitted to concentrate on a single black nature.

A problem with this rule is Ep8's murder scenerio. Perhaps something like "The Rudolf family is the one true culprit" would work. Of course this rule also wasn't stated in red so who knows.
Valkama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 21:08   Link #31557
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Natal-RN, Brazil
Age: 23
@RandomAvatarFan

I may be nitpicking, but Kyrie did do something during the chase scene. She helped Krauss in stalling the goats while Kanon cut through the last set of iron bars. Nanjo was the truly useless one.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 21:15   Link #31558
AC-Phoenix
Detective
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by qno2 View Post
So... everything could be done with Rosa in KNM's theory (albeit some ... well, Shkanon has its own weird explanations sometimes, let's just not talk any more about this aspect), though EP4 is even harder and weirder to make sense out of. Except for EP3. But KNM wanted Rosa to be the culprit, what a quandery!
It is a common rule in science that the more you have to change and adapt aspects of your theory, the more special cases exist, the more its credibility has to be doubted. Same here.
I disagree about everything being explainable with Rosa. You can fill her in as Beatrice for some parts but thats everything. The only crime she could have comitted hrself in EP 2 was the first one. We have no clue that she ever left Battlers side from then on. I would even go further and claim she is the detective for the 2nd game as battler stopped thinking rationally at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qno2 View Post
That's new - is it one of Van Dines rules? Those don't necessarily apply. And do you mean "accomplices in murder" or "accomplices in protecting the murderer"? Because Shkanon certainly has a few of the latter that probably know what's going on, plus one of the siblings as helper (EP1: Eva, EP2: Rosa, EP3: Krauss?, EP4: Kyrie, Krauss, probably more), the "accomplice that's doesn't know anything". And depending on whether you think that Yasu claimed to prepare a mystery game even more, namely nearly everyone. In fact, if you follow http://goatsreadingseacats.tumblr.com/ you'll notice that Genji was hanging out with Yasu the entire time, providing a steady alibi.
If my memory serves me right its a VanDine rule. The VanDine rule would still allow minor helpers though so it probably comes from EP 8. Even if its just the VanDine rule itself though. Carrying out the murders for her is already against the rule again.
If you want, as Rosa would say it, a Rosa-Wolf you also need a Genji Wolf, as he is the only one alone long enough to kill Kanon/Jessica and and the other 3.
And yes 'we don't know if VanDine truly applies' was one of my base arguments back then too. However, he was allowed to state them in red, so the most likely have a significance.
Another thing to note is that Kanon/Shanon can't be at two places. So they were either with Jessica or Genji. Yet there is another eye witness for Kanon being there, namely Gouda. Genji has no such witness since Kinzo is already dead. he was thus alone during most of the 2nd game.

However a servant must not be the culprit either, without him you can't pin Rosa though.
I wouldn't put it past Rosa to having tried to cheer Maria up pretending to be Beatrice, and running into the masnion afterwards - being seen by Kyrie.

However she was always observed by Battler, if not Knox would require us to get a hint that she had enough ime to kill said 4 people. Not to talk about carying Nanjo out of the room without leaving scrub marks.

The only way out of that room for the two bodies is the window, which is likely since Nanjo is probably pretty heavy. Yet, even then her clothes would be full of blood.
Add the time she needs to change clothes to the time she needs to make the bodies vanish and you can pretty much say that is more than walking to the toilet already.


Still the biggest issue about his theory remains the Beatrice-Battler relationship in my eyes.
We all know how twisted Rosa is, but that goes a bit too far, even for her.

it probably depends on whether the culprit is truly the same for every Episode.
My personal take on it is that its always the same person, solving it would otherhand be truly 'by chance'.



@EP 5:
Its not the only thing that doesn't match up.
The George-knocking theory is too bold in my eyes considering how Natsuhi was still walking around at that time. But yeah he is probably right about the clock.

Though don't forget, even if Erika joins up with them, the number of person's won't increase.
__________________
Those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat it - Santayana

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 22:30   Link #31559
rogerpepitone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I disagree about everything being explainable with Rosa. You can fill her in as Beatrice for some parts but thats everything. The only crime she could have comitted hrself in EP 2 was the first one. We have no clue that she ever left Battlers side from then on. I would even go further and claim she is the detective for the 2nd game as battler stopped thinking rationally at some point.
I pointed this out a while back:

1) For the second twilight, Rosa was alone (briefly) while going to find Kinzo. Even then, her story of being with Kinzo is definitely false.

2) Rosa is mentioned as having child-strength sedatives in Episode 3.

3) Rosa is mentioned as making dinner for Battler.

4) When Genji knocks on the parlor door to report finding Nanjo & Kumasawa, he wakes Battler up
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 01:08   Link #31560
AC-Phoenix
Detective
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 31
There was something I forgot when I wrote my post yesterday:

EP 2 Natsuhi's room
Gohda closed the door several times yet it always re-opened.
I think we can take this scene literally.

Think about it: You can only see him closing the door and opening it. You never see him taking the key though so it was probably still in the lock on the outside of the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
I pointed this out a while back:

1) For the second twilight, Rosa was alone (briefly) while going to find Kinzo. Even then, her story of being with Kinzo is definitely false.

2) Rosa is mentioned as having child-strength sedatives in Episode 3.

3) Rosa is mentioned as making dinner for Battler.

4) When Genji knocks on the parlor door to report finding Nanjo & Kumasawa, he wakes Battler up
I knew I should have re-read EP 1 and 2 instead of watching it lol.
Then again we got additional hints in the anime...

ad1) I still knew about that one. This and Rosa called the servants furniture is basically what he builds hi claim upon.
ad2) I think it was just something to stop her tantarums

However if you combine 2, 3 and 4 you could guess that Rosa drugged Battler.

The question is though: If Rosa was the Wolf, she could have, as she said, just shot him.
Picking up the line of thought were she pretended to be beatrice for Maria, she could have just told Maria to face the wall again and kill battler off. You would have 2 wolfs and 1 sheep.
I'm also not sure were she made his dinner as several other rooms than the kitchen are suitable for cooking.

Don't misunderstand I could probably make a sound Rosa-culprit theory, yet there is one other rule to this game: Eva must survive.
So we have to find out how she survived in game one and two.
In game 3 Rosa is already dead, yet Beatrice still appears.

I can't deny that Rosa is the only one who could change herself into a believable beatrice though.(A Kyrie save one that is).
Another problem is the part where Batler becomes the head, with Rosa assisting this even before Rudolf. It wouldn't make sense if she was the culprit.

Rosa's motive would however be money, so one still has to explain the sudden love for Battler, otherwise she lacks a motive. And it notably has to be one where she would still be killing Rodulf, while leaving Battler alone and even giving him the 10 tons of gold.




I wish they'd just do Chiro as an anime, that would make things a lot easier to understand...
__________________
Those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat it - Santayana

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.