AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-04-10, 11:58   Link #21
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I still think it would work. If you do not seek a genderbent perfect carbon copy of the original. Just because male friendship have more openly vitriolic snark and slap-in-the-back it doesn't make less sentimental than its female counterpart.
It's called "amitié virile" in french for a reason.
Old 2010-04-10, 13:24   Link #22
Gordy Lechance

Ah, but then it will no longer be K-On at its heart.

The popularity of K-On lies in its catharcic escapism.

Let you in on a secret, ladies. Lean closer.

Being a macho and unsentimental man 24/7 is a very very tiring act.

Unless you have a very understanding and "different" group of friends (who themselves will be ostracized by mainstream society), petting kittens, hugging cute children, talking about belieiving in your dreams and (shock horror) crying at movies is a one-way-ticket to be ostracized from the rest of the masculine race.

K-On allows you, for 30 minutes a week, to be that kid who enjoys watching golden sunsets, petting kittens, hugging your friends and bravely going out to purusue your dreams without having your perceived masculinity be compromised.

Now if only the rest of an entire generation whose hearts have been rotted by the cynicism of Jewish comedians like Seinfeld can mind their own bloody business and keep their completely unecessary sarcasm and homophobia to themselves.
Old 2010-04-10, 14:20   Link #23
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post

Anybody still want a male K-ON?
OBJECTION!

Looks like a possible otome game to me or something.

A genderbent version of K-on would just have a totally different audience in my opinion.
Old 2010-04-11, 02:50   Link #24
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Sheba's suggestions are genius. Slice-of-life involving Takehito Koyasu and five metalheads doing shit-all?

Manliest anime ever. FUND IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
*snip*
See, this guy doesn't get it. Being macho all the time isn't an act, it's a way of life. If you like rainbows and kittens (and I myself like rainbows and kittens) you don't have to be a girl about it. You too can still be manly while liking rainbows and kittens.

GRR THIS KITTEN IS ADORABLE
IT MAKES ME WANT TO LISTEN TO BLACK SABBATH WHILE PUNCHING BRICK WALLS

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-04-11 at 03:01.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 04:49   Link #25
Unellmay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sheba's suggestions are genius. Slice-of-life involving Takehito Koyasu and five metalheads doing shit-all?

Manliest anime ever. FUND IT.

See, this guy doesn't get it. Being macho all the time isn't an act, it's a way of life. If you like rainbows and kittens (and I myself like rainbows and kittens) you don't have to be a girl about it. You too can still be manly while liking rainbows and kittens.

GRR THIS KITTEN IS ADORABLE
IT MAKES ME WANT TO LISTEN TO BLACK SABBATH WHILE PUNCHING BRICK WALLS
......................Marry me?
Unellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 05:20   Link #26
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unellmay View Post
......................Marry me?
Only if you're a woman.
Old 2010-04-11, 10:25   Link #27
Unellmay

Quote:
Only if you're a woman.
Will a trap do?
Unellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 12:31   Link #28
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigurashinoUmineko View Post
Perhaps For Azuma he could be voiced by Soichiro Hoshi or Akira Ishida? I'm just making a suggestion.
I sadly did not hear enough of Ishida. But Hoshi is fine.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 14:00   Link #29
Bri

Hmm, tough one. The normal Fujoshi shows with dark edgy brooding Bishonen characters can't copy the easy going friendly atmosphere of K-on!

Closest thing I can think of would be Clannad's guys forming a band in a spin-off show without the girls:

Tomoya Okazaki : Friendly and serious but with a sense of humor. Totally different from Yui but also main character so lead guitar.
Youhei Sunohara: Closest thing to a male Ritsu: the drummer.
Akio Furukawa : former actor, baker and 100% GAR. Opposite of Tsumugi but just as positive a person. More nuts then Sawako. On keyboard.
Yusuke Yoshino : former rock star, fits the bill. Distant, sad, somewhat insecure, kind. Can be a sort of Asuza/Mio. On base guitar.

They wouldn't be carbon copies of K-ons girls, but I think they could function as a group without being unpleasant or angsty and still be good for a laugh.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 14:54   Link #30
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosign View Post
Would a K-on! with males-only work? Not replicas of the current K-on personalities, but perhaps similar. Would the fangirls buy it? Or perhaps this has already been done in a myriad of different anime, game and manga that I haven't seen?
yes if they make 'em look bishounen or (borderline) shota
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 16:47   Link #31
Flame-X
Anti-fan

You can say Kaikan Phrase is like the male K-ON without the whole school thing but experienced musicians and grown up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6PWTB_PLaI
Old 2010-04-11, 19:10   Link #32
Aaerul

The point of a K-on show but with males only in it is that it would appeal to the female crowd.
Retaining the Male audience of the current K-on is not the point.

So I gathered from the responses that it is possible but the characters will all need a personality make-over. See the thing is - I still don't see why it necessarily NEEDS a character make-over. Wouldn't it work as moe-blobs but of boys? What if we lower their age to middle school adolescents who are just beginning their growth spurts so they have semi-slender bodies? Now would it work?

And honestly those who said "booed and hissed as camp-gay" - that's a very culturally-constructed viewpoint. To me they retain the innocence of moe but just of boys. Sure you can say: they're not girls with girl parts so I'm not interested, that's fine. But that's because the show isn't intended for you.

See Ōkiku Furikabutte OR Big Wind Up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Windup!
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 02:38   Link #33
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unellmay View Post
Will a trap do?
...Hmm.

Quote:
So I gathered from the responses that it is possible but the characters will all need a personality make-over. See the thing is - I still don't see why it necessarily NEEDS a character make-over. Wouldn't it work as moe-blobs but of boys? What if we lower their age to middle school adolescents who are just beginning their growth spurts so they have semi-slender bodies? Now would it work?
No, see, you're missing the point. Boys and girls are different.

If you're going to turn an anime about girls in a light music club sitting around doing nothing into an anime about guys in a light music club sitting around doing nothing, stuff is gonna have to change.

Yes, the characters are going to need a personality makeover. If you're going to genderbend K-On, you're going to have to remove all traces with moe and replace it with significant amounts of MANLYAWESOME.

What I'm suggesting is that we convert the female character traits to equivalent male ones while still keeping the character dynamics intact. Yes, this can be done. I hail from the Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya thread; I'm an expert at this.
Old 2010-04-12, 03:10   Link #34
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

The other selling point of K-on is the highschool nostalgia when girls or boys hanged around their own tight-knit clique and don't have to worry about complex and dramatic "adult matters", in this transition age between the innocence of childhood and the thrill of new experiences, or just chilling with people having the same interests as us.
Old 2010-04-12, 03:12   Link #35
imbehindyou
turn around...

Quote:
Would the fangirls buy it?
For this to be accomplished, we need not GAR/MANLINESS but male moe-moe-hotness. Hot guys chilling out doing whatever they usually do. Mmmm. I want some of that. Would normal fangirls prefer SUPERMANLINESSGAR over male moe-moe-hotness? I think not.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 03:16   Link #36
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

But that's just as shamelessly pandering and bad as the original K-On. Frankly, I'd like to improve upon it. I'd also like to see male characters marketed to a male demographic for once in my life outside of mecha dear god.
Old 2010-04-12, 03:21   Link #37
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
But that's just as shamelessly pandering and bad as the original K-On. Frankly, I'd like to improve upon it. I'd also like to see male characters marketed to a male demographic for once in my life outside of mecha dear god.
Quoted for Truth.
Old 2010-04-12, 05:25   Link #38
Bri

Quote:
But...but...mecha is filled with males marketed to women. Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, Macross Frontier, Code Geass. These popular shows are filled with Fujoshi bait, just look at the popular male rankings... Heck, mecha DVD sales these days depend on scoring with the female demographic.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 05:35   Link #39
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
But...but...mecha is filled with males marketed to women. Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, Macross Frontier, Code Geass. These popular shows are filled with Fujoshi bait, just look at the popular male rankings... Heck, mecha DVD sales these days depend on scoring with the female demographic.
Ah, yes, but I didn't say that "all men in mecha are marketed towards men" but "the only genre in which 'men marketed to men' exist is in mecha". It's just as rare there; Gurren Lagann is one of the only (recent) examples of MANLY marketing that I can recall.

Anyway, my point still stands. I'd really like to see a slice-of-life that makes male watchers feel like men and not either like perverts or little girls.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-04-12 at 16:41.
Old 2010-04-12, 06:08   Link #40
Aaerul

t

Quote:
...Hmm.
No, see, you're missing the point. Boys and girls are different.

If you're going to turn an anime about girls in a light music club sitting around doing nothing into an anime about guys in a light music club sitting around doing nothing, stuff is gonna have to change.
Plenty of girls have accepted K-on for what it is. They feel like they can watch it despite the ridiculous moe-antics and its fanservice-y nature. Girls can relate to it from time they spent themselves playing in a band or stuffing around in afterschool clubs.

Do you think if we gender switched the characters suddenly the girls wouldn't watch it anymore? I think they would like it all the same if not even more.

Men depicted in Shoujo manga are incredibly idealized and effeminate. They also come in numerous archetypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbehindyou View Post
For this to be accomplished, we need not GAR/MANLINESS but male moe-moe-hotness. Hot guys chilling out doing whatever they usually do. Mmmm. I want some of that. Would normal fangirls prefer SUPERMANLINESSGAR over male moe-moe-hotness? I think not.
I would also watch this male moe-moe hotness. Not so much for the hotness (being a male myself). I actually LIKED the time before females entered my school. When females entered my school, all the guys turned into jerks. All they cared for was to impress the girls and a lot of the 'innocence' was lost.
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote