Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-21, 14:31   Link #41
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post

Now, why am I bringing all of this up? Because that's just what it is. Each and everyone of us immigrants have a reason to want to come here - or go to whatever country it is that they want to go to. You complain of high violence rates, high taxes, poor healthcare, but you have absolutely no idea, and you can't even begin to understand what high violence rates are - violence high enough to begin arguing if your country is in a civil war or not. Have you ever been mugged as you walk back from school, in the middle of a crowd while passer-bys simply look on, fearing for their lives? I have. Were you ever denied life-saving care at a hospital? My grandfather had a stroke one faithful saturday morning at the age of 76. You know what my mother got told when she called our version of 911? "Sorry, we don't have any working units right now." He died later that day. Had that happened here, I can bet your ass we'd had the paramedics on our doorsteps minutes after. One funny story that I remember to this day is when I had an appointment to take a vaccine to be able to enroll in High School, a few years back. I arrived about five minutes early, to an irate lady who complained they were taking too long to give her own son's needed shots. She had been there for 45 minutes. I remember taking a shot in my country's public hospitals and having to wait 9 hours to be seen.

Of course you can say that I'm comparing apples to oranges - but I simply don't like to ignore when people have their mouths full and sit there complaining that they haven't had enough to eat.
Meh. When you see a lot of other places that may have it better in other aspects, it's hard to sit around and just say "well that's the hand I'm dealt with, have to just live it up". Much like you appreciating the fact that you're here in America, I could still appreciate the possibility that we can do better as a nation in a lot of other aspects that other nations have never had an issue with...especially when our very own country has the resources to make a change, they just aren't doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You have any data to back up your claims that a significant amount of people want to go to the US compared to anywhere else. To the best of my knowledge your country is not the most desired immigration destination. Also a lot of these "facts" you speak of seem to come from your Hollywood movies which you seem to be highly influenced by. Hollywood, even though it may not be too obvious, re-writes contemporary events/facts more so then it does historic events. Sadly movies are under no obligation to tell you factual truth, and the writers of movie scripts are not even close to properly educated into what they are babbling about.

There was a time when this was true, and numbers were in your favor. But at that time the world was either at war, under communist pressure and so on. Your political stand and likely hood of becoming a war zone has been far more appealing then any cultural influence or scientific development.
TinyRedLeaf already shot your point down with the data thing, so I won't go there. And Hollywood has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to convey. Come here and see various parts of the country and read the news. It's not that difficult to figure out.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2010-04-21, 14:51   Link #42
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
My girlfriend is from Macau and she's going to have to go through the entire process of trying to find an employer that will pay for her working VISA once she gets out of school. Lame.
what's so LAME about it...
Old 2010-04-21, 15:26   Link #43
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I live in America, and we had it good for a long time. We're starting to decline now, and other countries are pulling ahead. Our "empire" will remain for quite a few years, but we're slowly outsourcing all our manufacturing and call centers, and losing money because of it. We'll soon be poor but still have a ton of nukes and a large army; not a good combination.

Personally, I'd rather live in the Netherlands. They seem more level-headed and better off there, as far as social programs and laws go. Or maybe Sweden.
Old 2010-04-21, 15:43   Link #44
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I live in America, and we had it good for a long time. We're starting to decline now, and other countries are pulling ahead. Our "empire" will remain for quite a few years, but we're slowly outsourcing all our manufacturing and call centers, and losing money because of it. We'll soon be poor but still have a ton of nukes and a large army; not a good combination.

Personally, I'd rather live in the Netherlands. They seem more level-headed and better off there, as far as social programs and laws go. Or maybe Sweden.
The focus is definitely switching. Manufacturing and hardware is pretty much gone. What's left are the software and service industries, especially relating to the internet. Most of the larger Silicon Valley software firms have been hiring MORE people, not less. However, this means that unskilled laborers, hardware engineers, etc, get screwed, and there's not really a fix for that.
Old 2010-04-21, 16:43   Link #45
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
what's so LAME about it...
Just one of the many hassles of life. That's all.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2010-04-21, 17:02   Link #46
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
And Hollywood has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to convey. Come here and see various parts of the country and read the news. It's not that difficult to figure out.
My english isn't anything good but I'm sure you are asking me to be a mind reader here. What's the point you are trying to make? And I don't really hate (or love) america but geez for what is the simplest language (grammatically) on earth you all sure make the most ambiguous and defensive sentences/conversation. Don't you all find it awkward talking like that?
Old 2010-04-21, 17:13   Link #47
iLney

I knew a woman in her 30s who got her green card after 2 years. Magic...!!! not... get a better lawyer
Old 2010-04-21, 18:29   Link #48
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
My english isn't anything good but I'm sure you are asking me to be a mind reader here. What's the point you are trying to make? And I don't really hate (or love) america but geez for what is the simplest language (grammatically) on earth you all sure make the most ambiguous and defensive sentences/conversation. Don't you all find it awkward talking like that?
You claimed that I, a person you've never met, have had my judgment clouded by Hollywood and the way films portray aspects of American culture.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion or what basis you have for it in the first place, but I'm telling you that it's not that difficult to figure the things that are wrong/depressing in this country. You don't need Hollywood to help you realize that. Read the news.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2010-04-21, 18:44   Link #49
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I can't watch American Tv (obviously). This internal affairs of great doom you mention has yet to make breaking news, so I'm still inclined to say this is all a load of hot air and fantasy. Can you link me to these news articles you speak of?
Old 2010-04-21, 18:49   Link #50
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Halt, cease and desist.

While America is depressing in a certain light, it's also a mecca in another light. In other words, perspective. America is filthy, ugly, corrupt. This is factual on a varying degree depending on what you aim it on.

America isn't perfect, but it supposedly gives people freedoms that wouldn't be given to them otherwise. They are self-determined to live, acknowledge them for that.

Why is ambiguous, so is how and where. It's not as bad as it could be, but it's getting there.

Opinion wise: Believe what you two want, if you two believe tearing at each other's throats is the optimal way to do things, then by all means.

Though the reality of the situation is people view America differently, from person to person. From nation to nation, encroaching on those perspectives to feed them yours doesn't sound very... friendly, does it?

But to be more on topic, America is known for being 'The home of the free'.

The home of the free 'if you have money to pay the judge then your home free'

The home of the free 'if you have a good name on you to stand above others then your free to do what you want'

That is my perspective. If you have the high class standards then you are 'free'. Immigrants and ordinary people are just norm. I am a pessimist and cynical, which is why I view things in such a manner.

Though I can see where both of you are coming from.
Old 2010-04-21, 19:17   Link #51
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
I can't watch American Tv (obviously). This internal affairs of great doom you mention has yet to make breaking news, so I'm still inclined to say this is all a load of hot air and fantasy. Can you link me to these news articles you speak of?
You really can't find your way to CNN.com or any other major American news outlet?

And it's extremely easy to watch American television even if you aren't living in the United States...unless your internet is ridiculously slow.

And seeing as there are various/countless issues being debated about America, it would be pretty ridiculous for me to hold your hand and act as a personal guide and show you what aspects of the United States are being scrutinized.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2010-04-21, 19:48   Link #52
chichi13

well .. i guess that is because of the currency rate of your dollar .. dollar here has a big value .. and if it happens that they will have a big salary in there it is equivalent in a double pay here :P its like 1:2 or more .. that's the ratio of a dollar compared to peso :P
Old 2010-04-21, 21:35   Link #53
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichi13 View Post
well .. i guess that is because of the currency rate of your dollar .. dollar here has a big value .. and if it happens that they will have a big salary in there it is equivalent in a double pay here :P its like 1:2 or more .. that's the ratio of a dollar compared to peso :P
As of Apr 21, 2010, one American dollar is worth 12 Mexican pesos, or 1:12, dollar to peso. The opportunity to earn higher value salaries is the main driving reason why people, mostly from Mexico, bust their butts and risk death and deportation to come here illegally.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Mexican peso, but hey.
Old 2010-04-21, 22:35   Link #54
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
As of Apr 21, 2010, one American dollar is worth 12 Mexican pesos, or 1:12, dollar to peso. The opportunity to earn higher value salaries is the main driving reason why people, mostly from Mexico, bust their butts and risk death and deportation to come here illegally.

This is pretty much it.

Even under minimum salary, the amount made per week is just way too tempting for many Mexicans without a good job here.
Old 2010-04-22, 09:17   Link #55
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post

I think chichi13 was talking about the Philippine Peso, and not so much about exchange rates but salaries standards versus the local cost of a living.

BTW, our peso's value against the USD is much lower, albeit it somehow recovered those past few years, as 3 years ago it was something like 1:50 and now it is about 1:44. But it is still half of what it used to be a little more than a decade ago (darn political instability and Asian Crisis, would say my relatives there).
Old 2010-04-23, 00:21   Link #56
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Because you can speak your mind and not get kill for it or sent to prison that and you can make a shit loud of cash out of some thing so fucking stupied people cant help but buy it to see what is all about.

America Fuck Ya We all have fucking guns
Old 2010-04-23, 00:36   Link #57
Kafriel
Senior Guest

1. Why would I want to go to America?
- To study abroad and come back to Greece with higher chances of getting a better job, since anything we get here is useless unless we got acquaintances somewhere...
2. Do I want to go to America?
- Personally I'd love to go as a tourist, never been anywhere but here, so any place is tempting...but I wouldn't settle in and live there, I like my home too.
Old 2010-04-23, 02:40   Link #58
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
You really can't find your way to CNN.com or any other major American news outlet?

And it's extremely easy to watch American television even if you aren't living in the United States...unless your internet is ridiculously slow.

And seeing as there are various/countless issues being debated about America, it would be pretty ridiculous for me to hold your hand and act as a personal guide and show you what aspects of the United States are being scrutinized.
America has a ton of flaws definitely, but remember that the news networks and their supporting companies ultimately have to pay for those methods of reaching people, so they are driven by viewership/ratings more often than simply reporting the truth. It's very easy to change a few words and make something otherwise mundane or unimportant feel like the end of the world. Fox News pulls this off to great effect, for example.

The greatest strength of the country, and probably the most controversial and heavily debated even today, is the original documents left by the Founding Fathers. The freedoms granted by the Constitution and the design of the three powers governing the states and entire nation are amazing and have even been a model for other nations. In some countries you can go to jail or be killed for simply having an opinion contrary to your government. In the US you can create entire organizations that fight against it...as long as it isn't violent.

I can bitch about the stupid things, and there are plenty of them, but there are very few countries where the citizens are able to make the system as they wish through peaceful and legal means, and not bloody revolutions or wars. That there are people even to this day fighting for what they believe in is a good sign that the system is working, even if the results aren't what we always expect.

The day average citizens are no longer able or willing to better their country through means other than force will be the day the country has officially been ruined. Despite all the bad news and the frustrations of those feeling they can't do this, this day has not come. If anything, the desire to make the country a better place is greater than it has been in decades, even if its citizens can't always agree on what "better" really means.

In short, don't sell the country short. It's still one of the best places in the world to live, even if it isn't perfect. The days of the "American Empire" are likely drawing to a close, but the country itself still has many good things going for it, which is why people desire to come here and seek a better life for themselves and their families.
Old 2010-04-23, 03:15   Link #59
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
America has a ton of flaws definitely, but remember that the news networks and their supporting companies ultimately have to pay for those methods of reaching people, so they are driven by viewership/ratings more often than simply reporting the truth. It's very easy to change a few words and make something otherwise mundane or unimportant feel like the end of the world. Fox News pulls this off to great effect, for example.

The greatest strength of the country, and probably the most controversial and heavily debated even today, is the original documents left by the Founding Fathers. The freedoms granted by the Constitution and the design of the three powers governing the states and entire nation are amazing and have even been a model for other nations. In some countries you can go to jail or be killed for simply having an opinion contrary to your government. In the US you can create entire organizations that fight against it...as long as it isn't violent.

I can bitch about the stupid things, and there are plenty of them, but there are very few countries where the citizens are able to make the system as they wish through peaceful and legal means, and not bloody revolutions or wars. That there are people even to this day fighting for what they believe in is a good sign that the system is working, even if the results aren't what we always expect.

The day average citizens are no longer able or willing to better their country through means other than force will be the day the country has officially been ruined. Despite all the bad news and the frustrations of those feeling they can't do this, this day has not come. If anything, the desire to make the country a better place is greater than it has been in decades, even if its citizens can't always agree on what "better" really means.

In short, don't sell the country short. It's still one of the best places in the world to live, even if it isn't perfect. The days of the "American Empire" are likely drawing to a close, but the country itself still has many good things going for it, which is why people desire to come here and seek a better life for themselves and their families.
My entire point was that America could improve upon some issues like universal health care and role capitalism can be corrupt. Not to mention violence in the country (funny how we're the only top tier country that has so many homicides) and education. And it's all in our power to stop things like this. I'm sure it takes time, but when you see other countries like the UK or France have a higher mortality rate, better system of health care (in my opinion) and not as much violence it really speaks volumes about our own nation.

I agree that our constitution has been a great way as to how to build a government, but at the same time other places may have used a similar model based on our infrastructure yet are arguably doing better jobs at it...and we came up with the idea first!

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2010-04-23, 03:43   Link #60
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
My entire point was that America could improve upon some issues like universal health care and role capitalism can be corrupt. Not to mention violence in the country (funny how we're the only top tier country that has so many homicides) and education. And it's all in our power to stop things like this. I'm sure it takes time, but when you see other countries like the UK or France have a higher mortality rate, better system of health care (in my opinion) and not as much violence it really speaks volumes about our own nation.

I agree that our constitution has been a great way as to how to build a government, but at the same time other places may have used a similar model based on our infrastructure yet are arguably doing better jobs at it...and we came up with the idea first!
I agree on education, but here[florida] anyways crime/violence rates have dropped pretty heavily over the last 5 years, and I've got to disagree with person saying it's bad here, they must be in the wrong part of the state . Also while I think America is far from perfect, it's far from being awful, or the worst place to live as well.
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-04-23 at 08:22.
Closed Thread