AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-08-19, 06:46   Link #701
RollingPenguin

I think he is more known for his Moomin work, Ben Ettinger has written a pretty good entry on him http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/yasuhiro_nakura .
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 19:26   Link #702
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's hard to imagine anyone could find fresh ground in a subject that's already had Spinal Tap and That Thing You Do, but Space Dandy managed to make zombies feel fresh so no surprise they could pull it off here (same writer). Especially loved "The argued about drugs" with Dandy and Johnny fighting in front of a drugstore.

Also, loving the way Meow drinks like a cat trying to drink out of a mug. And his beer had a preserved claw in it.
My first thought was which 80's making of the band video did I just step into. The episode was great from start to finish, and I swear that song's going to be stuck in my head for the next three days.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 08:46   Link #703
Random14

Well, that was one of the most surreal episodes of the series, and that's saying something. Yet also somewhat sweet, especially at the end. And a few hints or references to whatever is so special about Dandy. The whole episode felt kind of like a combination of a Miyazaki movie, Labyrinth and maybe a few myths about the afterlife/underworld.

Looks like next week will be more pure slapstick. Gotta love how many themes this series can bounce between.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 09:09   Link #704
neshru

Haha, what the hell:

Spoiler:

I wonder what was the reaction from the American audience.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 11:43   Link #705
MCAL

It's official. The more surreal this show gets, the better it is. This visuals in this episode were enough to take my breath away. Not to mention, this was the episode with the biggest connection to the "plot" yet. 10/10.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 11:50   Link #706
AntonKutovoi

Easily the best episode of the season 2, if not the entire show.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 12:38   Link #707
neshru

Could have done without the "mysterious anime girl" design though. Pretty jarring when compared to the aesthetics of the episode.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 13:42   Link #708
Dop
Mmmm....

Wow...

If there's an award for "Best single episode of any anime series in 2014" then that episode should win it hands down. It was a real feast for the senses both visually and aurally. Surreal in a really fascinating way.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 14:09   Link #709
Dr. Dahm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Could have done without the "mysterious anime girl" design though. Pretty jarring when compared to the aesthetics of the episode.
Lol she does kind of run down the checklist of mysterious anime girl/deity tropes a little. You've got the wispy voice, the exotic flowing hair that seems to have a mind of it's own, the diminutive features, the atypical eye color and piercing gaze, the speaking in riddles, random blue butterflies and the whole floating and dancing in the aether thing. I don't know I kind of dig it though. The general rule of Space Dandy by it's very nature is that anything kind of goes.

This show has been something else this season. I know it's probably an impossibility because it's basically constructed with the knowledge that it's going to take a loss but I can only hope there's possibly a third season somewhere down the line. Anime really needs this sort of fun open-ended kind of format where creative types can be unleashed to just do the things they really want to do without having to worry about whether it's going to result in producers breathing down their necks. Bandai Namco may be a generally money grubbing nickel and diming kind of company on average, but it's really cool that they are willing to bankroll stuff like Short Peace as well as this and allow Bones, Watanabe and co. to just unleash their inner beast.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-24, 15:39   Link #710
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Am I the only one here who didn't like last night's episode?

While it's likely that the episode does get better around the second half, the first half was just too "surreal" for even me, with me pretty much turning it off once the commercial break happened.
Old 2014-08-24, 18:32   Link #711
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

What just happened. What was with the ending? Ugh, I hate feeling sick to not comprehend what just happened.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 03:42   Link #712
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
What just happened. What was with the ending? Ugh, I hate feeling sick to not comprehend what just happened.
Dandy died, his spirit drawn to a dead planet filled with wandering souls. An immortal girl who became the personification of the planet itself fell in love him. Upon realizing who and what he is (a multi-universe paradox) she sends him back to a universe where he survived.

In the end Dandy came back for the lonely girl who confessed her love for him.

Meaning a girl won the Dandy... For the rest of eternity. (Sorry Adelie and Flower Girl somebody beat you to it.)
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 07:34   Link #713
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Easily the best episode of the season 2, if not the entire show.
If not the entire year.

How can so much be packed into a 22-minute anime episode? That was top-notch theatrical quality on every level.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 10:50   Link #714
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post
I know it's probably an impossibility because it's basically constructed with the knowledge that it's going to take a loss but I can only hope there's possibly a third season somewhere down the line. Anime really needs this sort of fun open-ended kind of format where creative types can be unleashed to just do the things they really want to do without having to worry about whether it's going to result in producers breathing down their necks.
Seconded. Anime needs a place for a creative spirit to thrive, and this show seems to be offering that place. I'm hoping for a third season next year.
Old 2014-08-25, 16:01   Link #715
desrtsku
Nympholept

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. The part where she saw multiple Dandies turned my curiosity switch on.
What does this mean? That dozens of Dandies from other dimensions were already transferred into that one? Does that imply that everytime he died in the previous episodes, he ... oh well, who cares.

That episode was so damn good on its own.
Limbo is one hell of a cute planet. I wish earth was a little more like her.
Old 2014-08-25, 16:57   Link #716
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. The part where she saw multiple Dandies turned my curiosity switch on.
What does this mean? That dozens of Dandies from other dimensions were already transferred into that one? Does that imply that everytime he died in the previous episodes, he ... oh well, who cares.

That episode was so damn good on its own.
Limbo is one hell of a cute planet. I wish earth was a little more like her.
It means while Dandy exist in multiple universes he is the same person. Whenever he dies also he goes on existing on other universes where he did not die.
While Dandy was sent back to the land of the living in a different dimension he also chose to stay for the girl. The wreck of the Aloa Oi is an indication one of him crashed on Limbo.

So you get a Dandy who is both alive and dead.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 17:46   Link #717
Dop
Mmmm....

^ Dandy has quantum immortality. Hey Everett?
Old 2014-08-25, 17:57   Link #718
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post

This show has been something else this season. I know it's probably an impossibility because it's basically constructed with the knowledge that it's going to take a loss but I can only hope there's possibly a third season somewhere down the line.
I'm not absolutely convinced this show was constructed to take a loss. In the world of modest episodic budgets of anime (this episode notwithstanding) what SD brings in with American ad revenue is likely not insignificant. The US TV ratings are good, and I wouldn't be surprised if BONES' deal with CN was effectively set up to guarantee they don't lose money on Dandy.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 21:12   Link #719
kamiyan89

wow, just wow, what an amazing episode, it was so beautifull that i felt the time was flowing slower, i have to show it to my parents just to watch their reaction.
kamiyan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 00:08   Link #720
Random14

Multiple universes/timelines/dimensions are definitely involved, though its probably not that simple, considering occasionally there have been references to previous dead-end timelines (such as the zombie one).

Not sure if I'm overthinking it, but wonder if that star on the cable-car was possibly a clue or a link to Dandy. Poe recognized Dandy, but not sure if that was due to Dandy's multiversal nature (with all those Dandies at the end) or she had met him before. Otherwise the declaration of love is a bit sudden, but Dandy returning (or arriving in the past originally, given Poe's dress?) was sweet.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, retro sci-fi