blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Ultra-wide 21:9 key visual w/wide color gamut

Spoiler:
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 13:14   Link #222
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Okay, that recent PV actually looks really good! Wow. Looking forward to this one!
Old 2016-09-10, 13:34   Link #223
AB079
Banned

Just saw that PV and it looks amazing, what Kyoani always have is that amazing visuals (even when the character design are usually the same over and over), those really good VA's and the atmosphere around certain scenes which makes this so special.

One thing that I think is important to say is how Kyoani used this movie in Japan to show the people what bullying can do to a person, especially if that person have some disadvantage like Shouko. I'm surprised that Kyoani did this cosidering most of their works in the last years were pure pandering stuff instead of doing something remarkable, this bring some hope on this studio again.

I really want to see this soon, it's gonna be amazing, maybe not at the level of Kimi no Na Wa but pretty close to that.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 14:07   Link #224
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
Tweet from Makoto Shinkai

Rough translation (credit to Takana_no_Hana)
Singling out Miyu-Miyu's acting once again shows Shinkai is a man of discerning and taste.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 05:44   Link #225
PhoenixRising

I read the entire manga a couple of months ago and I loved it! So I'm really looking forward to watching this.
I love the fact that Saori Hayami and Miyu Irino are voicing the leads.

I haven't really seen too many Kyoani films, but this film looks really good judging the trailers.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 2016-09-13 at 08:14.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 13:46   Link #226
AB079
Banned

Checking how is Koe no Katachi doing at the moment on japan, I must say is pretty decent compared to Kimi no Na Wa. Obviously is not even close to get the same numbers but is pretty good.

Overall most of the comments about the movie are possitive and shows how the movie did a good job with the audience, some of them says that the animation was weird sometimes using the same faces and desings on some characters, and others saying "it was too cute" which I agree considering the art in the manga.

Spoiler for Comparison first week:
Old 2016-09-17, 22:31   Link #227
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Im thankful that people on Animesuki are more sensible but it is annyoing to note that people like to compare kimi no na wa/shinkai and koe no katachi/kyoani for whatever reason atm. Leaving aside kyoani fanboy cults shitting up a storm claiming that "their movie" will trump it (theres a lot of salt and resentment that kimo no na wa is #1 on MAL atm) that its somehow both visually better (kyoani visually better than shinkai?) and better than a show with a director that tends to produce weak plots (I see great irony here) the target audience and directing styles (and in this case also the type of material) couldnt be further apart.

Since when did shinkai ever create anything for a latenight otaku auidence. Since when did shinkai ever use moe character designs? Since when was a somewhat lighthearted scifi youth drama comparable to a movie about a socially sensentive theme of bullying. I also dont see how shinkai praising this movie conceding that its a better film than his (another claim the kyoani cultists seem to lap onto).

I honestly dont see much comparison here aside from both movies being from same broad genre of youth drama and the movies screening relatively close to each other. Its annoying enough to deal with "next miyazaki" comments for shinkai as it is. It would be very nice if the movies could be assessed on its merits rather than some fanboyish studio wank or comparison to a director (miyazaki) whose type of works and direction is in no way comparable. I have little doubt that this movie will be great but no need to compare it or worse bash a unrelated movie.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2016-09-17 at 22:46.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 02:09   Link #228
Peanutbutter

There's a chinese sub for the behind-the-scenes production on the movie. Especially for someone like me who's curious about Kyoani itself, it's definitely a treat to watch.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 18:02   Link #229
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is certainly Shinkai's most otaku-friendly movie, I'll say that much.
Old 2016-09-19, 17:11   Link #230
RollingPenguin

I agree, it would be really unfair to compare Naoko Yamada to kitschy director who keeps trotting out same old shit for years. The photography in Tamako Love Story is astounding, certainly one of the best in the medium.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-20, 14:23   Link #231
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, kinda lost track in this discussion. Who's the kitscchy repetitive director? I didn't realize Shinbo somehow entered the discussion

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-20, 21:48   Link #232
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Is this movie oscar worthy or nah?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 00:09   Link #233
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Anime. Oscar. Does not compute.

The oscars think animation is for children only anyway. Why would anyone want oscars recognition for animation in the first place.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 00:38   Link #234
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Only Studio Ghibli has really made inroads at the Oscars but they're usually biased against non American animation anyways.

Not that this should be in the conversation anyways.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 00:56   Link #235
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The Oscars almost never reward the best in any given category, it's true. But Spirited Away winning was a watershed moment for anime in America and helped fuel its current presence in the festival/arthouse circuit, like it or not. And that film actually made some money at the U.S. box office, too.
Old 2016-09-21, 01:27   Link #236
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I will say that if this were a non japanese live action, the theme would definitely be Oscar bait, because that's the only term to describe a story about a deaf girl and her struggles with bullying and so on...
Old 2016-09-21, 01:43   Link #237
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
I agree, it would be really unfair to compare Naoko Yamada to kitschy director who keeps trotting out same old shit for years. The photography in Tamako Love Story is astounding, certainly one of the best in the medium.
I take it that the post above is the kind of comment that Pocari was addressing in his previous post? I wasn't even aware of this issue before he pointed it out. But seriously, why are people even comparing and taking sides between Koe & Kimi (or Kyoani & Shinkai) movies? Did Kyoani-fans (and Shinkai-fans?) somehow got infected by the terrible "Marvel vs. DC"-virus and looking for object to unnecessarily bash? Why can't they just enjoy both movies like normal people without feeling obligated to trash the one they considered "rival" (for some random reason)? *smh*
Old 2016-09-21, 09:14   Link #238
moodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I take it that the post above is the kind of comment that Pocari was addressing in his previous post? I wasn't even aware of this issue before he pointed it out. But seriously, why are people even comparing and taking sides between Koe & Kimi (or Kyoani & Shinkai) movies? Did Kyoani-fans (and Shinkai-fans?) somehow got infected by the terrible "Marvel vs. DC"-virus and looking for object to unnecessarily bash? Why can't they just enjoy both movies like normal people without feeling obligated to trash the one they considered "rival" (for some random reason)? *smh*
You are mistaking anime fans for idiots who baitpost and start studio wars. Most fans think both are great (those who seen it) and most fans want to watch both.

There is just a strong bias against Shinkai, not because of the sales, but because of his direction ability. Many people think he hides all his storytelling flaws with great looking art and animation. Are they wrong? Thats for you to judge.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 10:06   Link #239
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Whatever hate there is for Shinkai (I think you're overstating it a bit) is certainly going to be amplified now. If there's anything otaku hate it's directors who have mainstream success.
Old 2016-09-21, 10:10   Link #240
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
People who can enjoy both movies and tell what are their flaws can compare Kimi no Na Wa and Koe no Katachi, the problem is when you mix the obnoxious fans of certain Studio/Director with the people who can do what I said and well... you can see what happens. Both movies has their good things and bad things but as you said there are the "fans" trying too hard to say "X movie is better!" which leads to pointless discussion.

The only point where you can be objective at the moment of making a comparison is the sales where Koe no Katachi is doing a great job compared to a huge seller like Kimi no Na Wa, other than that both have great visuals, nice story (a bit stronger on Koe no Katachi just because the source was already out for years when Kimi no Na Wa was just a story created just recently), and basically both of them are good, is your choice to pick one or another. For me I enjoyed Kimi no Na Wa more than Koe just because Kyoani didn't bothered to at least use different desings as the usual ones (you know the moe faces without difference slapped on every character).

Now back to the point, I agree with the fact that there are a huge amount of obnoxious fans trying to shit on either of those movies, especially from Kyoani side. You just need to stop paying attention to them and move on, also read the comments and see what opinion truly matters.