Complete Novice (コンプリート・ノービス) [Light Novel]

Original Title : コンプリート・ノービス
Alternative Title: Complete Novice
Author : Tao Noritake (田尾典丈)
Illustrator : Kagome (籠目)
Publisher : Fantasia Bunko

Synopsis translated by EnigmaticAxiom
Quote:
Nogami Hajime is a player who enjoys game challenges such as clearing things at the lowest level possible or playing games with one character. In the VRMMORPG, he plays as Ichino, taking advantage of a certain system in the game which allows him to modify his exp gain such that he remains Level 1, giving him the nickname of "Complete Novice." Three months before the start of the story, his sister, Nogami Ren, had her character data split into 8 key items called "Memory Fragments" when a cracker hacked into the game system. Though the company tried to respond to this, the cracker sent a message to them saying "Continue to manage the game as it is. If you try anything, the same thing will happen to other players." Hajime, along with his father who is one of the game developers, Nogami Jin, and some of his coworkers, decide to do everything they can by the rules. With information he finds from players in game and information his father finds by sifting through the game data, Hajime goes is on a search for the Memory Fragments.

Spoiler for Volume 1 illustrations, hmm... one is NSFW?:

Amario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 08:04   Link #2
SineMora
Wait for it...

What. The. Fuck?!?!?!
This guy is boss!!!
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 18:59   Link #3
Amario

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineMora View Post
What. The. Fuck?!?!?!
This guy is boss!!!
Well Hajime has his moments.
Old 2014-01-13, 19:04   Link #4
BW95
Banned

Okay. So he's stuck himself at level 1. I assume that he finds alternative methods of raising his stats? Don't certain quests and items have level requirements?
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 19:14   Link #5
Amario

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Okay. So he's stuck himself at level 1. I assume that he finds alternative methods of raising his stats? Don't certain quests and items have level requirements?
As said by EnigmaticAxiom
Spoiler:
Old 2014-01-13, 19:28   Link #6
BW95
Banned

That doesn't answer my questions at all. Damage dealt is dependent on stats, not level. So no matter how many times a level 1 character attacks a much higher level character it should be impossible considering the difference in HP and any attack landed by a level 1, even with critical hits, would be measly in terms of damage.

Furthermore, with only 1 level, the range of equipment he can wear must be severely limited and low in quality.
Old 2014-01-13, 19:33   Link #7
Amario

Looks like you went directly to the source to get the answer.
Old 2014-01-13, 19:40   Link #8
BW95
Banned

I went to Jcafe since you mentioned EnigmaticAxiom. I originally started out at Jcafe.
Old 2014-01-13, 19:59   Link #9
TJP1600
小桃姑娘

lol another SAO, no thank you. Speaking of which, there seems to be a lot of SAO-like/mech girl novels popping up here with World of Sword and Dragon, Knights and Magic, Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, Hundred, and now this. Dear JP authors, please stop the trend.
Old 2014-01-13, 20:18   Link #10
SineMora
Wait for it...

Anyone who played The World Ends With You wil find the system familiar (and I myself done this to obtain all rare badges)
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 20:20   Link #11
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

What's with this ton of new fantasy LN?
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 20:22   Link #12
BW95
Banned

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari is the farthest thing from SAO and Knights and Magic isn't even mecha girls.
Old 2014-01-13, 21:28   Link #13
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
That doesn't answer my questions at all. Damage dealt is dependent on stats, not level. So no matter how many times a level 1 character attacks a much higher level character it should be impossible considering the difference in HP and any attack landed by a level 1, even with critical hits, would be measly in terms of damage.

Furthermore, with only 1 level, the range of equipment he can wear must be severely limited and low in quality.
Spoiler for Holy Answers:
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 21:37   Link #14
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
Spoiler for Holy Answers:
WOW. That is friggin' hardcore. There's nothing that says better about a player's skill than using solely combat skills to win. He'd be freakin' beast if he allowed himself to level up and get better gear.
Old 2014-01-13, 21:43   Link #15
iCK

Quote:
WOW. That is friggin' hardcore. There's nothing that says better about a player's skill than using solely combat skills to win. He'd be freakin' beast if he allowed himself to level up and get better gear.
This is actually a better read though. With all the novels with op heroes, we have a mc who loves to challenge himself. It keeps it interesting. He reminds me of Izayoi from Mondaiji because he would fight with the same power as his opponent to challenge himself.
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 21:47   Link #16
BW95
Banned

What does he do about defense and magical attacks? With his low HP and paper thin defense he couldn't afford to take a single hit and I'm sure his opponents would have time to take at least one shot at him. He can't even block. Can he dodge even AoE attacks?
Old 2014-01-13, 21:52   Link #17
omegasereon

I saw this at bt and was really interested in it. So if the MC finds all 8 fragments, they can restore his sister?
omegasereon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 21:52   Link #18
BW95
Banned

Presumably.
Old 2014-01-13, 21:55   Link #19
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP1600 View Post
lol another SAO, no thank you. Speaking of which, there seems to be a lot of SAO-like/mech girl novels popping up here with World of Sword and Dragon, Knights and Magic, Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, Hundred, and now this. Dear JP authors, please stop the trend.
LOLOL. Just because it's a game setting and it's SAO? Why don't you ask the romcom authors to stop writing another romcom?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 21:58   Link #20
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP1600 View Post
That's just insulting. Calling something an SAO knockoff just because its involves a VRMMORPG setting. This is hardly a dual-wielding Gary Stu winning because he's the chosen one.