AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-16, 11:11   Link #61
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I was impressed with how the movie depicted the aliens as people, so to speak, and not heartless monsters or some such. I certainly wasn't expecting the alien infantry to pull their wounded to safety and such.
Old 2011-03-16, 14:14   Link #62
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I was impressed with how the movie depicted the aliens as people, so to speak, and not heartless monsters or some such. I certainly wasn't expecting the alien infantry to pull their wounded to safety and such.
Indeed.

You certainly don't feel sorry for them (perhaps with exception to the vivisection scene), but the whole faceless evil mook thing was certainly disrupted by having them do little things like that.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 14:31   Link #63
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I felt sorry for them, then again. I've always routed for the bad guy in these types of movies.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 05:32   Link #64
Child_of_Sierra

Not clear if this was just the initial wave of alien invaders or even just the vanguard of a greater force.

They were clearly there for surprise so I suppose they brought in only the "lightest" of their military arsenal. The war will be decided depending on how powerful the actual "big guns" of the aliens are... The movie ends in a hopeful note but I think the aliens would win if the story continued.
Old 2011-03-17, 06:11   Link #65
killer3000ad

The Razzies were a few weeks ago and already we have a contender for the 2011 Razzie. Ugh this movie was the worst. I'd like to quote Roger Ebert,"Young men: If you attend this crap with friends who admire it, tactfully inform them they are idiots. Young women: If your date likes this movie, tell him you've been thinking it over, and you think you should consider spending some time apart."

Stay away from this ham-fisted 2-hour recruitment ad for the USMC.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-04-13 at 12:26.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 06:13   Link #66
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
The Razzies were a few weeks ago and already we have a contender for the 2011 Razzie. Ugh this movie was the worst. I'd like to quote Roger Ebert,"Young men: If you attend this crap with friends who admire it, tactfully inform them they are idiots. Young women: If your date likes this movie, tell him you've been thinking it over, and you think you should consider spending some time apart."

Epic Lulz are Epic. That being said, I was simply planning on downloading it considering I'm hearing mixed opinions on it (and my friend is intent on seeing this so yeah).
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 07:13   Link #67
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:

yep, just like how District 9 is trying to make you hate the human race
Old 2011-03-17, 07:32   Link #68
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
yep, just like how District 9 is trying to make you hate the human race
To be fair, that wasn't the intention of District 9 from my pov. District 9 was more about the racism situation in South Africa and how the black population was isolated and separated from the white population, who lived in District 6, an area in Cape Town that was declared "whites only" back in the 60's and also makes references to evictions to new suburban ghettos. T'was never meant to promote hatred for the human race, but was meant to make you think about what's going on today. I'm sure you knew this already but I feel these are the reasons it's unfair to really compare themes in District 9 to the movie being discussed here.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 10:04   Link #69
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

Don't think I've ever agreed with Ebert's movie critics, so I'm glad I didn't start last week.

I guess people shouldn't sit down and watch Topgun either since it's basically a 2 hour recruitment ad for the Navy.

Clueless, is clueless.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:45   Link #70
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
Not clear if this was just the initial wave of alien invaders or even just the vanguard of a greater force.

They were clearly there for surprise so I suppose they brought in only the "lightest" of their military arsenal. The war will be decided depending on how powerful the actual "big guns" of the aliens are... The movie ends in a hopeful note but I think the aliens would win if the story continued.
The invaders came with a force of 30 million strong. Not sure if that counts for all of the infantry types, or everything they brought.
Old 2011-03-17, 19:13   Link #71
Child_of_Sierra

I must have missed that fact when watching the movie. A big number by Earth's standards but we don't know what their base population is to decide how "serious" this invasion is.

From an expeditionary force to a full blown everybody-signed-up deal.
Old 2011-03-17, 19:14   Link #72
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
I must have missed that fact when watching the movie. A big number by Earth's standards but we don't know what their base population is to decide how "serious" this invasion is.

From an expeditionary force to a full blown everybody-signed-up deal.
The information came from a website for the movie where they revealed technical details about the aliens.

edit: Is it just me, or was this film rather popular in South Korea?

I wonder if the motif of sudden attack by an outside force is resonating with South Korean people due to the current tension with the North.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2011-03-18 at 09:17.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 23:22   Link #73
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

There's something here I've just gotta comment on because it surprised me so much:

Spoiler:
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 00:39   Link #74
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Can't help but feel that semicolon between "Battle" and "LA" means it's a series.

I liked this movie. A lot. After the horrid failure of an alien flick that was Skyline, I found what I wanted in this. Finally, an alien invasion movie that doesn't bring out so many cliche's.

Water as fuel.
Biological differences (no more "aim for the head!).
Tech design.
Seemingly human personalities, carrying wounded and such. I felt slightly bad for the dissection scene. But eh, that's war.

I felt for Hector (the kid), really. I was gritting my teeth and gripping the seat. Pretty intense and interesting. I recommend it to anyone who likes the sci-fi genre.
Old 2011-03-20, 01:33   Link #75
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Just saw the movie, and honestly I'm of the opinion that critics don't like this movie much because they're jaded. When I first saw the ads for this movie and the concept a year ago, I thought "USMC fighting off Aliens in a somewhat realistic portrayal". I've been wanting such a movie every since one of the scenes in the War of the Worlds remake showed some Army units in guerilla warfare against the alien invaders, and I got what I expected: USMC fighting alien invaders without using high-flying outlandish technologies or plot devices *cough* computer viruses *cough*.

The movie is kinda light on actual dramatic story (even though there's still some expected drama to be had), and it's not really award-winning material. But still, the movie basically portrays the invasion as "A day in the life of a US Marine in combat with aliens" with more an emphasis on the military end than on the dramatic end. It's an alien invasion movie showing humans fighting off aliens by the skin of their teeth using modern-day technology, and its presentation sold me on it - nothing more, nothing less, a good way to pass 2 and a half hours of time. I honestly just don't think this movie deserves all the negatives the critics give it, since it was a solid action romp. Is it the greatest movie of all time? Hell no. Is it the worst movie of the year? I really don't think so.

Now to inject a more extreme opinion of mine:

Ebert can tactfully call me an idiot all he wants. I've never taken much stock on his movie reviews anyway.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 01:38   Link #76
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Just wanted to share an observation I made during my third viewing. During one of the news reports talking about the meteor shower, they show in image taken from a telescope. The date of the image shows April 2011, when the meteors first showed up in our solar system. The previous image before that one, shows the same date, but with nothing there.

IMO, it seems that MAYBE the aliens came out of warp drive, and then cruised at interplanetary speeds to Earth.
Old 2011-03-20, 02:10   Link #77
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
There's something here I've just gotta comment on because it surprised me so much:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-27, 12:17   Link #78
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Can't help but feel that semicolon between "Battle" and "LA" means it's a series.
It would be interesting, then, to see: Battle; New York/Moscow/Beijing/Berlin/etc.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 16:01   Link #79
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
It would be interesting, then, to see: Battle; New York/Moscow/Beijing/Berlin/etc.
If they were done half as good as Battle: LA, I'd pay movie ticket prices to see them.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 04:30   Link #80
Tiberium Wolf

Cool movie. Only watched today after playing Crysis 2 battle in New York. But the destruction wasn't so awesome like the ones in Crysis 2 plus the aliens and their ships were ugly compared with the Ceph.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2011-04-03 at 10:47.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, movies