Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-04, 09:23   Link #81
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
How big is the story atm? Think this will be a long running (i.e. 100+) series? Or something that can be wrapped up in 52 episodes, TBC whenever the manga finishes. Although Madhouse has in the past faithfully adapted another series and went with an original ending at the very end (Claymore anyone?), so that's a bit worrisome.

Also, from my understanding the manga is far from over and will likely take a long time. (Right?) So what's the point of this reboot now? If the manga doesn't finish for several years are we gonna look at another Natruto or Bleach (200+ episodes adding filler while waiting on the manga) or we looking at ANOTHER remake in 5 years from now?
Claymore was adapted with beautiful animation, it was slated for 2-cour anyway; Madhouse'only choice then was finish it or make a sequel. Claymore's a monthly series so it was hard to expect a sequel after already getting caught up with the manga which probably lead to the original ending.

HxH ha hundreds of chapters waiting to be reanimated. Madhouse is on par with Bones who did the FMA remake which was awesome in every way. Its for the new generation anyway, and old fans will probably think of it as a throwback to the past. For me, its hard to get worried.

Reboots are really needed for sales rather than sequels. Inuyasha did horribly with the Final Act as some old casual fans have probably forgotten everything.
Old 2011-08-04, 09:34   Link #82
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
How big is the story atm? Think this will be a long running (i.e. 100+) series? Or something that can be wrapped up in 52 episodes, TBC whenever the manga finishes. Although Madhouse has in the past faithfully adapted another series and went with an original ending at the very end (Claymore anyone?), so that's a bit worrisome.

Also, from my understanding the manga is far from over and will likely take a long time. (Right?) So what's the point of this reboot now? If the manga doesn't finish for several years are we gonna look at another Natruto or Bleach (200+ episodes adding filler while waiting on the manga) or we looking at ANOTHER remake in 5 years from now?
The original anime adaptation was 92 episodes long (TV series + Three OVA series) and it covered 184 chapters. Seeing as the manga is currently up to chapter 311, then obviously, if this new anime plans to adapt it all the way, it'll easily surpass 100 episodes.

As for when the manga will finish, nobody can tell, because in the past half-decade or so the author has been notorious for taking long breaks in between coming back for another batch of serialisations, which have always only lasted for 10 chaptes before he disappears again. He just came back and released a new chapter this week for the first time in roughly 433 days.

So yeah. Who knows what their plan with this new anime adaptation is. I can only hope that, in FMA:B fashion as others have said, it's a sign of Togashi finally planning on truly wrapping up the manga, which has been basically stuck in limbo for so long, and the manga and the anime finishing at roughly the same time like with the FMA manga and Brotherhood. That'd be nice I guess.

I doubt I'll ever come to prefer this new adaptation to the already damn near perfect original one though, but we'll see.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 09:53   Link #83
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Yeah, but the original anime had a decent amount of filler stuff in it. Not that it was bad or anything, cause it mixed in really well with canon stuff.
I wonder how many episodes this will be if they go the non filler road and use around 1.5-2 chapters an episode.

@ahelo, "Claymore adapted with beautiful animation"? I don't even understand how can you put those 2 words in the same sentence together with Claymore.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 11:58   Link #84
Ronny

I think Claymore looked pretty nice, and I enjoyed the anime - but my point only was: it had an original ending. It being a monthly series is no argument 'cause the HxH mangaka is famous for his hiatuses.

However, seeing how the new anime will very likely last at least 2 years following only the manga plot (thanks for answering Endless Twilight), there's a good chance the mangaka will have advanced the manga for even more episodes... hopefully coming to a conclusion at one point.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 16:22   Link #85
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Loving these reboots. Just need one for Negima (don't care about the movie--I want a television series) and Air Gear and I'll be happy. Seeing a good manga given updated animation and a more complete story makes me happy.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 18:03   Link #86
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Shinigami View Post
Seeing a good manga given updated animation and a more complete story makes me happy.
Lets hope this is true. Not that the the older series needed any updates. It was pretty awesome, just release it in HD and you're golden.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 22:27   Link #87
dragon132004

Honestly.. I was hoping for a sequel, we got around 92 episodes from the first TV series and OVAs so what's the big deal of changing it now and start from the beginning they will make it look like that the previous episodes were irrelevant which is not a good point so the question now... Will this new remake cover the same pace and materials as the old ones? I doubt it because most shounen series nowadays is 25 episodes or so at the very best, we get 52 episodes or so like Beelzebub.
Old 2011-08-05, 00:00   Link #88
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Yeah I wonder has Madhouse even done a lengthy series that extends to 100 episodes? I wonder if they will go the Black Lagoon route and release OVAs at a certain point too?

I also have to say Claymore had beautiful animation, I don't recall anything horribly wrong, off scale. *I just dont hope for a horrible original ending like Claymore). I have seen some not so great animation and madhouse usually does a very decent job.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 01:20   Link #89
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Yeah I wonder has Madhouse even done a lengthy series that extends to 100 episodes?
I don't think so. The longer they got as the main animation producer was 75 episodes or so (like Monster or the first Hajime no Ippo). There is also Yawara (124), but that was a co-production and finished almost 20 years ago.
But they rarely get a friendly timeslot like this time, not to mention it's a freakin' Shonen Jump franchise. I can see this running for a long time.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 01:34   Link #90
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
I don't think so. The longer they got as the main animation producer was 75 episodes or so (like Monster or the first Hajime no Ippo). There is also Yawara (124), but that was a co-production and finished almost 20 years ago.
But they rarely get a friendly timeslot like this time, not to mention it's a freakin' Shonen Jump franchise. I can see this running for a long time.
I'm more worried about their budget, it looks like that their past few series are not good in term of BD/DVD selling (Iron Man, Wolverine, X-men, Blade, Kaiji)
Old 2011-08-05, 03:56   Link #91
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
I'm more worried about their budget, it looks like that their past few series are not good in term of BD/DVD selling (Iron Man, Wolverine, X-men, Blade, Kaiji)
I'm pretty sure this won't have Dennou coil quality animation,I bet they're going to outsource a least a bit of it to korea,claymore still looked ok (not great) when madhouse did that.
It also works for Kaiji but I hope there's a lower amount of still frames in HxH than in Kaiji
And I hope they don't dare release something as dreadful as Allison to Leila.

And I never thought I'd say this but I'm so glad I watched the original one in french because now it means I don't have to get used to new japanese voices.
Old 2011-08-05, 05:45   Link #92
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Ignoring the fact that DVD/BD sales of one series has no effect on the budget of unrelated projects, those 5 do not have DVD/BD releases in the first place. The Marvel anime were only made to promote Marvel in Japan and there was never any plans to release them on discs, and Kaiji's revenue comes from ratings, not disc sales.
Old 2011-08-05, 05:58   Link #93
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Ignoring the fact that DVD/BD sales of one series has no effect on the budget of unrelated projects, those 5 do not have DVD/BD releases in the first place. The Marvel anime were only made to promote Marvel in Japan and there was never any plans to release them on discs, and Kaiji's revenue comes from ratings, not disc sales.
Actually, they do release Marvel Anime on DVD/BD. Iron Man and Wolverine have been released in sets in Japan.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 07:26   Link #94
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Ah okay, since they were sets and not individual volumes I never noticed them on Stalker. Even so, the primary goal of those anime were definitely not to move discs.
Old 2011-08-05, 11:34   Link #95
Belial13

This is good news for me, can't wait to see it, and hope they will animate past the original anime / OVA's as i never read the manga
Belial13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 22:31   Link #96
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
@ahelo, "Claymore adapted with beautiful animation"? I don't even understand how can you put those 2 words in the same sentence together with Claymore.
Haha lol I meant really good animation. Still those gory fights looked really awesome.
Old 2011-08-06, 02:51   Link #97
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Ah okay, since they were sets and not individual volumes I never noticed them on Stalker. Even so, the primary goal of those anime were definitely not to move discs.
did they do well in rating? well from what I saw in ANN's article (Japanese Animation TV rankings), I never saw Kaiji, Blade, Iron Man, X-men or Wolverine on the list.
And they didn't do well in the BD/DVD's selling too...
That is why I'm worried if they (MadHouse) could do long running series (if it is long running series) or not.

I hope they didn't remake the anime just to end it with original ending (like FMA, Claymore, Tegami Bachi).
Old 2011-08-06, 10:07   Link #98
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
I'm not sure about the Marvel series, but Kaiji gets really good ratings for its timeslot, about 3~3.5. It's higher than current Noitamina and even shows like Bleach, for instance.
Not surprising though, it's a fairly popular series.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 23:49   Link #99
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That is why I'm worried if they (MadHouse) could do long running series (if it is long running series) or not.
I don't think Madhouse has relatively produced any bad looking series at all and they've always been consistent with animation. Madhouse is a pretty big studio and if there is anything to worry, it's not the animation (they've made long series before like Monster). I'd worry about the ending.

I'm pretty suspicious though, now that I know that the original anime sticked closely to the manga unlike FMA. I think the announcement probably went with HxH author wanting to close the series. The only series that I know ended at the same time frame as the anime was Brotherhood and Cross Game.

Or they just want to introduce the series to younger people like me and create buckets of money from it. I remember HxH vaguely and I'll probably enjoy it tremendously if I watch it now.

This is all just hoping though; who knows it might be terrible.
Old 2011-08-21, 01:08   Link #100
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I don't really understand why they want to do a remake, cause the first serie was ok in my opinion. And OAVs are not bad too. It would be more interesting to see the last arc animated but well... My favourite character of HxH has not a great role in the last arc so... (it's Kurapika).

The first serie had some good soundtrack. Great moments of the manga were great like the fight between Kurapika and Uvo. The Genei Ryodan arc, with Kurapika, was amazing, the atmosphere was awesome.
But if I can see more Kurapika, I will be happy I think...

By the way, Yuki Kaida was great as Kurapika... I hope Sawashiro will do a good job too...

Tags
action, shounen