AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-20, 15:08   Link #1
VampirePaladin

Magical Girl/Mahou Shoujo Recs

I am looking for advice on magical girl series to consume. I will gladly take anime recs, but at the moment I am more interested in manga recs. Current and on-going manga series and less well-known anime are what I am really looking for. Here is a list of what I have seen and in some cases my opinion.

Sailor Moon
Magic Knight Rayearth
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
Pretear
Princess Tutu
Devil Hunter Yohko
New Cutie Honey
Re: Cutie Honey
Cutie Honey live action movie
Cutie Honey The Live - This is actually one of my favorite series. I love it to pieces.
Mai Hime
Mai Otome - I liked it better than Hime
Umi Monogatari
Tokyo Mew Mew
Futari wa Pretty Cure - Great characters and show but it got repetitive in the second half.
Heartcatch Pretty Cure
Suite Pretty Cure - I love Kanade, Ellen and Ako
Wedding Peach - I think Momoko's hate to love relationship was done FAR better than Usagi's
Kannazuki no Miko - I am not sure I like it, but I am glad I watched it at least once
Kore Wa Zombie Desu ka?
Madoka Magica
Nurse Witch Komugi
Twin Angels - Misty Knight is such a cool Tuxedo Mask parody
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Shugo Chara - I found all the characters likable and well rounded except for Ikuto who I found to be bland and the same thing I see all the time in magical girl series

I am currently watching
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
Smile Pretty Cure
Fresh Pretty Cure
Symphogear

Please do not recommend Cardcaptor Sakura or Nanoha. I am well aware of their existence. Thank you for your time.
Old 2012-03-20, 15:25   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I urge you to take a look at Mahou Shoujotai Arusu. It's quite unlike most magical-girl shows, and it has both beautiful animation by Studio 4°C and an excellent soundtrack as well. The OP will give you an good introduction into the style and score. The story itself is complex and dark so it can appeal to both adults and kids.
Old 2012-03-20, 15:43   Link #3
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I urge you to take a look at Mahou Shoujotai Arusu. It's quite unlike most magical-girl shows, and it has both beautiful animation by Studio 4°C and an excellent soundtrack as well. The OP will give you an good introduction into the style and score. The story itself is complex and dark so it can appeal to both adults and kids.
Thanks for the rec. Sadly, I did start watching Arusu before it was licensed. I have been trying to get my hands on the DVDs so I can finish it for awhile now.
Old 2012-03-20, 15:58   Link #4
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Try Vita Sexualis : like Symphogear, it's focused on girls transforming into futuristic magical girls, but unlike most magical girls, the male lead must fuse with one of the main heroines using his strategic tactics. The story is similar to Mai-Hime. Here's a picture :
Spoiler for Pic:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-20, 16:28   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePaladin View Post
Thanks for the rec. Sadly, I did start watching Arusu before it was licensed. I have been trying to get my hands on the DVDs so I can finish it for awhile now.
The DVDs used to be quite expensive, but they were repackaged in R1 at a more reasonable price ($30). The link in my post points to the DVD collection at RightStuf.
Old 2012-03-20, 16:39   Link #6
VampirePaladin

Oh! Thank you Seiji! It was the cost that had been prohibitive before! I will be going to a con this weekend, depending on price I might get it there. If it isn't affordable there I'll be ordering it.

Misao, how graphic is the series in terms of sexual content? Being graphic won't necessarily turn me away, but I like to have an idea what i am getting myself into and the character designs are very fanservicey.
Old 2012-03-20, 17:05   Link #7
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePaladin View Post
Oh! Thank you Seiji! It was the cost that had been prohibitive before! I will be going to a con this weekend, depending on price I might get it there. If it isn't affordable there I'll be ordering it.

Misao, how graphic is the series in terms of sexual content? Being graphic won't necessarily turn me away, but I like to have an idea what i am getting myself into and the character designs are very fanservicey.
You should look at the summary on MangaFox and you should try the first 9 chapters to decide if you should continue reading or not.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-20, 20:55   Link #8
mecharobot

It's not a battle or sentai type mahou shoujo, but maybe you should consider watching/reading Full Moon. I hear the manga is better, but the anime has songs, which are kind of important as it has a music theme. Maybe consider getting the soundtrack/songs if you want to listen to them while reading.

Last edited by mecharobot; 2012-03-21 at 03:15.
Old 2012-03-21, 02:00   Link #9
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Sekirei has some magical girl elements in it. Boys or girls meet destined partner(s) and they work together in a tournament against other Sekirei and their contractors who can draw their full potential from them with a...

You'll have to watch and see for yourself.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-03-21 at 12:16.
Old 2012-03-21, 08:58   Link #10
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

akazukin cha cha.
gakuen alice - not magical girl but sorta close lol.
Slayers NEXT - it's the second installment but i just recommend watching this one first just because it's the best out of the 3 seasons. For me the first season is okay.
Old 2012-03-21, 10:02   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you seen Oku-sama wa Mahou Shoujo? It's about a magical girl who's also a house-wife (maybe it's more appropriate to call her magical woman instead ). You can also watch Minky Momo for a more simple, light and cheerful watch.
Old 2012-03-21, 19:53   Link #12
Undertaker

Has anyone mentioned Ojamajo Doremi yet?
Old 2012-03-22, 15:45   Link #13
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

there's also kaitou saint tail.

Tags
anime, magical girl, mahou shoujo, manga, recs