AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-26, 00:16   Link #22661
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think his point is that they're a lot cheaper than iPads, and up to the task.
Up to what task? Isn't "the task" a variable and subjective thing?
Old 2012-07-26, 00:18   Link #22662
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The task he's being asked to help with. Presentation.
Old 2012-07-26, 00:19   Link #22663
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
To me that reads as "Priced to compete with similar overly marked up products because of its name tag." Like Alienware PCs. Apple has good marketing, but their products have been far to restrictive in the past, that is changing slowly though. However you still need to use Bootcamp for a bulk of applications. Bit of research and know how you can build yourself something way better than any of the brand name guys for way cheaper.
Bootcamp is for people who either want to game or who don't know about virtualization. And Apple has been getting more restrictive with time, I'd say, not less.

If you want to do it yourself, it's almost always going to be cheaper. That applies to cooking, home improvement, computers... with the exception of things where economies of scale can be leveraged, what isn't it cheaper for? But in some ways, that's false economy. Because what you save in dollars is generally paid for with time. If you have the time and the skills, great; if you don't, well...
Old 2012-07-26, 00:24   Link #22664
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Kinda like getting fast food vs cooking it yourself, I'd say. Used to have a mac a few years ago, bootcamp was the big thing then. Was about when VMWare and the like started to take off if I remember right, I've only used visualization in windows machines since then for running virtual servers and the like for testing.
Old 2012-07-26, 00:32   Link #22665
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The task he's being asked to help with. Presentation.
If this is a company machine and presenting is all that it will be used for, then sure; you can present off of almost anything. I don't know that it's the best for marketing purposes, but we're already speculating too far so I won't go into that. Suffice it to say, if this is a person's personal machine that is now being used for work, for all of our technical knowledge, who are we to dictate what is sufficient or not for the user? Without knowing greater details about how the user intends to use their device, isn't it just arrogance on our part to say that they wasted money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Kinda like getting fast food vs cooking it yourself, I'd say. Used to have a mac a few years ago, bootcamp was the big thing then. Was about when VMWare and the like started to take off if I remember right, I've only used visualization in windows machines since then for running virtual servers and the like for testing.
Virtualization makes things a lot easier compared with Bootcamp. It's a wonderful development. I almost wish I had more reasons to virtualize regularly, because I still marvel at what we can do now.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:43   Link #22666
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Apple's invincibility fades on iphone miss, global woes
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86P02Z20120726

Analysis: Tax haven clampdown yields cash but secrecy still thrives
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86P0DD20120726
Old 2012-07-26, 08:01   Link #22667
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Bo Xilai’s Wife Is Charged in Killing of British Businessman

Quote:
Although the announcement repeated earlier accusations that tied the murder of Mr. Heywood to “a conflict over economic interests,” it added fresh detail, saying that Ms. Gu committed the crime in order to protect her son, Bo Guagua. The article did not mention Mr. Bo’s full name, suggesting prosecutors have decided not to implicate him in the crime.
Can someone with local knowledge tell us a bit about Bo's son? This is the first time I can recall his name coming up in connection with this scandal.

Update: Listening to the BBC's story on Ms. Gu reminded me that the son is the one who went off to study in England and is now currently at Harvard. Supposedly Gu feared that Heywood would injure her son somehow, though as I recall Heywood helped arrange for the younger Bo to study in Britain. How Heywood would be able to endanger the boy from thousands of miles away is a bit murky, at least to me.

Looks like we could be in for a rollicking good time watching this fall's power transition in Beijing.

Meanwhile, back in Tokyo,

Nomura Chief Resigns Over Insider Trading Scandal

Quote:
In a resignation more reminiscent of Nomura’s scandal-plagued 1990s than the global investment bank it has sought to become, the firm’s chief executive and his top lieutenant resigned on Thursday over recent revelations that bank employees had abetted insider trading.
It sounds from the article that Nomura acquired some of Lehman Brothers bad habits when it took over Lehman's Asian operations in 2008.

Quote:
The scandal at Nomura, the biggest Japanese investment house, has prompted much soul-searching. Some experts see roots of the scandal in Nomura’s acquisition of Lehman’s European and Asian businesses, which they say was an audacious pursuit of scale and profit that diverted attention from compliance, even as investment banks came under increased regulatory scrutiny.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-07-26 at 08:35.
Old 2012-07-26, 08:25   Link #22668
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I think a lot of people dislike how apply restricts the activities of it's customers. For me, with my PC (be it windows or linux), I feel like I can use it exactly how I want, I can install the programs I want, I can use whatever functionality I want, I'm free to choose from a dozen different alternatives, and those alternatives often can be configured to use however I like.

With Apple, I feel like I have to use the device the way the late Steve wanted. He would choose what programs would come on my machine, and he would force me to use certain programs to interface with certain devices. It's particularly acute with the device side of things (iPad, iPod, iPhone), where with the iPod I'm forced to go through iTunes, and buy music from the iTunes store. With the iPhone/iPad, i can only download apps that Steve approves of, and I can't change the way the OS works.

It's basically vendor lock in. They don't use any industry standards. Their wires use non-standard plug, so you have to buy over priced wires from apple. You can't directly interface with your iPod from your PC (instead you have to go through iTunes), they even use nonstandard screws so you can't even open up your iWhatever if you wanted to. All this is to lock you in to using overpriced apple products and services, and prevent you from using third parties. With a Dell PC, I don't have to go to Dell for my wires, or repairs, I can go to any number of third party companies, who may be cheaper and provide a better service. What Apple does is like the worst of Microsoft's business's practices in the 90s, but on a whole level higher.

Given that computer's are such a central part of most of our lives, and we tend to often form a personal connection with our machines, I find that lack of control and options to be poor, and very bad for the customer, and forces them to pay more money for products that are no better then what the rest of the market offers.

Open platforms, like the PC are the future.
Old 2012-07-26, 23:51   Link #22669
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
You can't directly interface with your iPod from your PC (instead you have to go through iTunes), they even use nonstandard screws so you can't even open up your iWhatever if you wanted to.
The only time I've had something go wrong with my $415 Thinkpad X120E (named Yune, because my first thought on receiving her was that at 3.3 pounds she felt like a toy compared to my previous Dell and that reminded me of the scene in Ikoku Meiro no Croisee where a Frenchman says he almost mistook Yune for a doll) is when the latch for the keyboard cable came loose. I diagnosed the issue using an external USB keyboard, Google, and a Lenovo forum, then fixed it using a screwdriver, needle nose pliers, and a tutorial video and repair manual Lenovo had posted online for field technicians. Total time: about 15 minutes to diagnose and 30 minutes to figure out how to perform the repair and then do it, though I did get some help from my dad at one point because one step seems like it expects you to have three hands.

Now that said, if you can get warrenty work for Apples done at their stores, I could see them being an excellent option for fast servicing as well. Most PC laptops aren't as well designed as Thinkpads as far as servicing goes, leaving you with sending it to a repair depot (ick).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-07-27, 06:13   Link #22670
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

How Spain dumped a bad bank on the little guy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86Q07Y20120727
Old 2012-07-27, 07:36   Link #22671
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The only time I've had something go wrong with my $415 Thinkpad X120E (named Yune, because my first thought on receiving her was that at 3.3 pounds she felt like a toy compared to my previous Dell and that reminded me of the scene in Ikoku Meiro no Croisee where a Frenchman says he almost mistook Yune for a doll) is when the latch for the keyboard cable came loose. I diagnosed the issue using an external USB keyboard, Google, and a Lenovo forum, then fixed it using a screwdriver, needle nose pliers, and a tutorial video and repair manual Lenovo had posted online for field technicians. Total time: about 15 minutes to diagnose and 30 minutes to figure out how to perform the repair and then do it, though I did get some help from my dad at one point because one step seems like it expects you to have three hands.

Now that said, if you can get warrenty work for Apples done at their stores, I could see them being an excellent option for fast servicing as well. Most PC laptops aren't as well designed as Thinkpads as far as servicing goes, leaving you with sending it to a repair depot (ick).
Yeah, the other thing Apple achieves by introducing non-standard screws is that it prevents people from modding and jail breaking their devices. If you own a device, you should be free to mod and jailbreak it however you like (obviously you'll lose your warranty). They just want to restrict what their customers can do, in order to maintain their monopolistic control over the system. Once you have an Apple product you've entered a monopoly for he duration that you own it, any services related to the system have to go through Apple. Microsoft used to have these same kind of shenanigans, but they've at least gotten a lot better about it (Windows is a much more open platform then it used to be).
Old 2012-07-27, 12:05   Link #22672
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Yeah, the other thing Apple achieves by introducing non-standard screws is that it prevents people from modding and jail breaking their devices. If you own a device, you should be free to mod and jailbreak it however you like (obviously you'll lose your warranty). They just want to restrict what their customers can do, in order to maintain their monopolistic control over the system. Once you have an Apple product you've entered a monopoly for he duration that you own it, any services related to the system have to go through Apple. Microsoft used to have these same kind of shenanigans, but they've at least gotten a lot better about it (Windows is a much more open platform then it used to be).
The thing is, most Apple users are not savvy enough, so they thought they didn't need to bother.

Apple is a smart company by feeding off people's laziness and lack of desire to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

Someone call child protection. This guy is a lolicon! Arrest him!

Nonetheless, I am one who enjoys screwing around with my machine, though I don't possess as much time in the past as before to do it. Though that lifeskill actually paid off...... instead of just sitting around and bearing with a boring job, I chose to walk out there and explore - in the end I learnt a whole lot more that helps suppress my cost of living because I can do alot more things myself.

Maybe that is what is actually destroying our societies - the lack of desire to learn and attempt everything.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-07-27, 12:12   Link #22673
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The thing is, most Apple users are not savvy enough, so they thought they didn't need to bother.

Apple is a smart company by feeding off people's laziness and lack of desire to explore.
To be honest, people wouldn't feel the need to jailbreak iphones if apple didn't so arbitrarily restrict how customers used their devices (no flash? forcing you to use the appstore, while preventing certain apps from being released, due to not toeing apple's line?). Ultimately Android will win, and the iphone as a platform will just wither away.
Old 2012-07-27, 12:25   Link #22674
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
To be honest, people wouldn't feel the need to jailbreak iphones if apple didn't so arbitrarily restrict how customers used their devices (no flash? forcing you to use the appstore, while preventing certain apps from being released, due to not toeing apple's line?). Ultimately Android will win, and the iphone as a platform will just wither away.
But they already earned millions from lazy people.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-07-27, 13:55   Link #22675
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
But they already earned millions from lazy people.
And Android will earn Billions from everyone else!
Old 2012-07-27, 14:38   Link #22676
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I like to remind you all that this is news stories thread. This discussion about Apple seems to be fairly far removed from the original story about the socket on an iPhone. Maybe you might consider carrying on this discussion in the Tech Support forum or starting another thread here in General Chat about Apple?
Old 2012-07-28, 20:02   Link #22677
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

At least three banks seen central to Libor rigging
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86R03220120728
Old 2012-07-29, 12:29   Link #22678
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

this person think we should remove algebra from US education system

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/op...=1&ref=opinion

Old 2012-07-29, 12:32   Link #22679
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
this person think we should remove algebra from US education system

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/op...=1&ref=opinion
the writer is a comedian and this article is satire...I hope.
Old 2012-07-29, 12:34   Link #22680
GDB

I stopped after the first paragraph. "Millions are failing, so why subject them to it? I think we shouldn't." Wow, okay, so if enough people don't grasp something, or struggle with it at all, we should just get rid of it? Idiocracy, AHOY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the writer is a comedian and this article is satire...I hope.
He/it is not. He's a political science professor. That should explain why he thinks math should be removed.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international