AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 2 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 9.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 54.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-05, 12:40   Link #641
wredsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersault View Post
Still. Somebody might find Gundam repetitive and boring, it's not like everybody will jizz their pants over it.
Personally, if it wasn't for Char, who is arguably the best character ever in the Gundam-verse, I wouldn't even bother that much.
I think Gundam Unicorn is the best ( in Gundam verse ) , and it does not have Casaval either.

However I think Code Geass already proved alot more awesome than the gundams.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 12:47   Link #642
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Be that as it may, there was once an entire forum/blogsite dedicated to R2 called "Code Trainwreck."
Be that as it may, to use your same exact phrase, I believe this has little or nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Once again, we were talking about the direction and content of Akito, not the quality of R2 (or the relative lack of it).

I'll just say that website, much like the show and its fan base as well as its hate base, gave me mixed feelings and a wide range of thoughts. My praise for it would be rather qualified and restrained, at best, but this isn't the right time and place to elaborate on such matters.

Quote:
Honestly I get cold feet on an R3.
While I still think that any Code Geass series with Lelouch in it will sell (look at Nunnally in Wonderland), if they can do a great job of Akito (keep up what the 1st OVA gave us) then methinks they can wean the fanbase off of Lelouch.
Better to leave the wreckage behind and start over.
Akito looks like it will do just that.
You could argue that's the point, yes, but I think it's also what any property should always aspire to do, even in the best of cases. Repetition limits creativity by default and Akito, by virtue of not being exactly the same as either season of the show, actually seems to promote it.

The European theater was a non-issue other than in a small glimpse and some passing references, but a world with its own alternate history and internal logic would surely be capable of having more than that, even if the original story did not demand going into all those aspects. Ironically, that absence of pre-existing information is what gives the new director and his staff the chance to engage in something different.

Which is why I find precisely this type of expansion (change of setting, characters and premise) to be a much better alternative when compared to other possibilities, though perhaps only time will tell. For now, like I said before, the Akito OVA is more than good enough from my point of view.

Quote:
Really, it's the proverbial "apples and oranges" comparison since Gundam is a military Science Fiction story and Geass is more of a dramatic SF Fantasy.
Leaving the other details aside, I think we can agree on this once again.

However, I would say that Akito might be able to combine the two approaches a bit more effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
We're not talking about the new ones.. we're talking about the UC Gundam series's -- Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, MS 083, MS 080, Char's Counterattack, etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Yes the pinacle of anime awesome.
So much so that there is a lifesize Gundam in Japan to honor the Epic Win that is UC Gundam.
The statue is quite awesome because it represents that Gundam is a cultural phenomenon, but...without going into the details, because this isn't necesary, I don't think you can say ZZ and 0083 are the pinnacle of awesome. I'd be more explicit if I were feeling cynical enough.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 12:57   Link #643
somersault
thus spoke zarathustra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredsa View Post

However I think Code Geass already proved alot more awesome than the gundams.
A lot more entertaining for sure. If Char was in every Gundam series, even as an AU character that only wants to troll, maybe my opinion would be different.
I mean, how do you expect for a series to be pleasurable to watch, when their main character is Jesus Yamato and a forever stiff rock called Setsuna. Thank God for Cagalli and Lockon otherwise, it would be bai bai.

Anyway, this is the Akito thread, so we should keep it like this and not turn it a Gundam shrine.
somersault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 22:08   Link #644
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Be that as it may, to use your same exact phrase, I believe this has little or nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Once again, we were talking about the direction and content of Akito, not the quality of R2 (or the relative lack of it).

I'll just say that website, much like the show and its fan base as well as its hate base, gave me mixed feelings and a wide range of thoughts. My praise for it would be rather qualified and restrained, at best, but this isn't the right time and place to elaborate on such matters.
That's good for the fanbase and the franchise though. Helps find out the problems with the story and weed out the kinks.
If any of the people at Sunrise get some of this feedback it should only help improve any future projects I would think.

Quote:
You could argue that's the point, yes, but I think it's also what any property should always aspire to do, even in the best of cases. Repetition limits creativity by default and Akito, by virtue of not being exactly the same as either season of the show, actually seems to promote it.
I agree.
That's actually what's happening with the new SBY remake.
Hopefully Akito will move in an entirely new direction than the original series.

Quote:
The European theater was a non-issue other than in a small glimpse and some passing references, but a world with its own alternate history and internal logic would surely be capable of having more than that, even if the original story did not demand going into all those aspects. Ironically, that absence of pre-existing information is what gives the new director and his staff the chance to engage in something different.

Which is why I find precisely this type of expansion (change of setting, characters and premise) to be a much better alternative when compared to other possibilities, though perhaps only time will tell. For now, like I said before, the Akito OVA is more than good enough from my point of view.
I agree, it is also what I find so appealing about this new Geass show.
The fact that Okouchi and Taniguichi didn't really go into what was happening in the EU gives the new team a lot of room to be creative and expand.
I watched some of the first episode and I must say it is impressive.

Quote:
Leaving the other details aside, I think we can agree on this once again.

However, I would say that Akito might be able to combine the two approaches a bit more effectively.
Again we agree. I see that in the first episode as well, and if they keep it up this new Geass may stand alone as an excellent new military SF anime in its own right.
That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Quote:
The statue is quite awesome because it represents that Gundam is a cultural phenomenon, but...without going into the details, because this isn't necesary, I don't think you can say ZZ and 0083 are the pinnacle of awesome. I'd be more explicit if I were feeling cynical enough.
Aw....sacrilege!
0083 was excellent, with designs by Shoji Kawamori, and the guys at Studio Nue.
I loved that series.
Though, I do agree that ZZ did leave much to be desired unfortunately.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-10-06 at 01:45.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:52   Link #645
wredsa

Requesting separate threads for each episodes of the OVA.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:07   Link #646
azul120

Huh, dunno. One thread should be enough to cover 4 eps.

Re: 0083, I didn't care for the ending.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 08:51   Link #647
arkxkra
全力全開

finally got chance to know what EU doing, the animation is very well done and the pace ok as well. Akito seem like a very badass character, another bug that same a Suzaku?

able see C.C. on episode 2 . and I wonder Suzaku will fight against the akito, bug vs bug? will look forward to it
Old 2012-10-07, 10:12   Link #648
klare

yeah the mecha fights at the start are very well done, tho Alexander looks like Drossel...

his team said Akito has no family but that Xin guy with geass has Hyuga in his name, they brothers?

overall eps 1 is good, the preview for eps 2 also look promising
Old 2012-10-07, 11:03   Link #649
PzIVf3

Looks like ep. 2.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 12:10   Link #650
gordol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Looks like ep. 2.
Just OVA 1 promo
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 06:32   Link #651
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Looks like ep. 2.
Spoiler for image:
For a split second there I saw that pie as a pizza.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:37   Link #652
shinigami99

I wonder if the ENTIRE OVA is going to be set before R2 or will there be some kind of time skip to after or right before ZR. I would have really wanted to see if they ever interact with the main characters of Lelouch of the Rebellion (besides C.C. and Suzaku)
shinigami99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 23:34   Link #653
Ergnes
Inactive Member

I hope it's not Akito vs Suzaku, because Geassed to die vs Geassed to live can only end one way, not to mention our "foresight".

It's kinda interesting to speculate who gave Shin his Geass, would it be V2 or C2?
C2 would want to give out powers so she can be killed, but V2 on the other hand would only do so because it makes a tool more useful.
Having C2 do it would make Shin's actions less predictable, but considering how a 11 is able to rise to such a high position Suzaku must have had a hand in this, so the chance it was V2 becomes quite high. Which means the Hyugas were probably planning a rebellion, or maybe joining the Black Knights, and their son killed them(by order of Suzaku?) after acquiring Geass from V2. Sasuke and Itachi all over again?

P.S.
Is it just me or did anyone else think of "Code Geass: Napoleon Shogun" after this episode?
Ergnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 22:04   Link #654
rinichan

that cat... what is the connection between that cat and our arthur~san... sh** Ms Clement is becoming my main girl in this series...
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 06:02   Link #655
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

finally watching this. it's a good OVA. definetlly a nice set up episode

the fight scene is kinda disappointing. while it smooth, the choreograph feel strange. it just feel awkward to see a have mecha that can do acrobatic move as easy as expert gymnast.

but it still nice fight scene

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 09:47   Link #656
wredsa

I wonder in Code Geass universe it is harder to recognize a Japanese, as the driver who picked up said "Oh you are an eleven"
Old 2012-10-12, 13:49   Link #657
Tetsu Aero

I'm pretty sure there were plenty of japanese that had migrated to other countries, and seeing an asian might not mean much.
Tetsu Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 12:09   Link #658
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Seems like being Japanese in this universe just plain fucking sucks lol. Even outside Britannia they're called Elevens and treated like garbage. IIRC the EU even has its own ghettos for Elevens where they live no worse than they do in Area 11...Seeing how messed up this world is with the EU not being much different than Britannia, somehow Lelouch's plan all of a sudden don't feel so radical.
Old 2012-10-16, 18:17   Link #659
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Seems like being Japanese in this universe just plain fucking sucks lol. Even outside Britannia they're called Elevens and treated like garbage. IIRC the EU even has its own ghettos for Elevens where they live no worse than they do in Area 11...Seeing how messed up this world is with the EU not being much different than Britannia, somehow Lelouch's plan all of a sudden don't feel so radical.
Yes! Fighting for freedom and independence is all well and good. Too bad they mucked it up with the Zero Requim though!
Just speculating here, but maybe Akito will fix that situation...unless he dies too.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 18:54   Link #660
shinigami99

Akito is probably going to die, especially since it seems that that is what he wants
shinigami99 is offline   Reply With Quote