AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-15, 20:57   Link #881
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
with the addition of the disturbing screams of horror and pain? Not for me. It was bad enough in the novels already.
I even had doubts of watching the anime because of the gore... but thanks for the babes and the suit...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:07   Link #882
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
with the addition of the disturbing screams of horror and pain? Not for me. It was bad enough in the novels already.
Read the Posleen war series by John Ringo for more of that kind of stuiff. Watch on the rhine by Tom Kratman and John Ringo also features that.
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 22:39   Link #883
-khriz-

I really like Top Gun(Yuuya) but looking at how the events of the first episodes went I don't think he will be surviving all this.
-khriz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 22:45   Link #884
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Also, the fact that they STILL use mecha is exactly one of the reasons why Man keep losing. Which is ironically realistic given that we have yet to develop one, or will ever build one.
Because the Laser-Class shown last episode completely shuts down everything in the air.

Near 100% hit rate, 12 sec firing intervals, insane range, no friendly fire. They're even accurate enough to shoot down missiles/shells.

They use these mechs to punch a hole in the enemy line and take out all Laser-Classes in the battle, afterwards they can send in air support to win the battle.
Old 2012-07-15, 22:46   Link #885
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 22:53   Link #886
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -khriz- View Post
I really like Top Gun(Yuuya) but looking at how the events of the first episodes went I don't think he will be surviving all this.
Well I won't be surprised if he is the ONLY survivor, as you can make him to be Yui mk 02 where he is the most talented of the group, but still untested in real combat. And Yui herself now becomes the badass teacher who sacrifices for the sake of her student, while you have sweden girl be the one eaten and chobi girl be the one that's asking to shoot her before the beta gets her.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:07   Link #887
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
These are the last aces of the country? or their best.... then why was that loud mouth girl in their too? She doesn't act a professional at all. Top Gun looks cool and has skill but his flashback with the other pilot interest me. What did he do to warrant that reaction. It looks to me that he is good and skilled. Specially the now long haired "Japanese Doll" Lt. She looks so stuck up on her work to me and take it too seriously and also strict but why would he said that? and why was this project centered to Top Gun? I have too many questions on this series because I don't have any prior knowledge of it and even seeing people discuss about the types of mechs and some info's given. I still didn't understand much. Maybe I would just play the game if I had free time. Another question. When I look at vndb it said that total eclipse run in the same world of alternative. What does this mean? these 2 story is played at the same time? like the alternative is main story and total eclipse is side story? or both are main story and has each own ending that doesn't effect the others without prior knowledge of the other one?

Overall the episode is good to me but Yui leave a bad impression to me on the near ending. I don't know her reasons are and I wish it will be answered next episode or at least someone answered it for me. Even via PM is welcome because I don't get the story at all. I only understand is nomnom that people keep typing with.
TE is the side story / prequel to MLA. It runs before, during and after the events in MLA. As far as I know, they both are their own stories, with minimum cross over events.

If anything, the closest in character would be Macross Plus, since they are both about test pilots. They tend to be the wildest and most independently minded pilots with problems, which is why they are given one last chance to be useful before they crash and burn, sometimes literally.

So their officers always have to cut their egos off at their legs. What better way then to say, I've seen better. Since she is combat experienced, and Top Gun isnt, its true too.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:08   Link #888
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Why do ppl keep referencing to Top Gun? Thats a Jet show propaganda that has so many things wrong just to get ppl to sign up... They even used the wrong aircraft and called them Migs because they cant get any, being in a war at that time.

If anything, the closest in character would be Macross Plus, since they are both about test pilots. They tend to be the wildest and most independently minded pilots with problems, which is why they are given one last chance to be useful before they crash and burn, sometimes literally.
That's the nickname Yuya was given in the episode.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:10   Link #889
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Who did the animation for macross plus? Was it satelight?
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:11   Link #890
YF19EX

Should have been Studio Nue.

On that note, Top Gun is Yuuya's Nick name as mentioned. Makes sense since he is American and is still one of the best aircraft training programs in the world.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:12   Link #891
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
These are the last aces of the country? or their best.... then why was that loud mouth girl in their too? She doesn't act a professional at all. Top Gun looks cool and has skill but his flashback with the other pilot interest me. What did he do to warrant that reaction. It looks to me that he is good and skilled. Specially the now long haired "Japanese Doll" Lt. She looks so stuck up on her work to me and take it too seriously and also strict but why would he said that? and why was this project centered to Top Gun? I have too many questions on this series because I don't have any prior knowledge of it and even seeing people discuss about the types of mechs and some info's given. I still didn't understand much. Maybe I would just play the game if I had free time. Another question. When I look at vndb it said that total eclipse run in the same world of alternative. What does this mean? these 2 story is played at the same time? like the alternative is main story and total eclipse is side story? or both are main story and has each own ending that doesn't effect the others without prior knowledge of the other one?

Overall the episode is good to me but Yui leave a bad impression to me on the near ending. I don't know her reasons are and I wish it will be answered next episode or at least someone answered it for me. Even via PM is welcome because I don't get the story at all. I only understand is nomnom that people keep typing with.
Alternative is the main story, Total Eclipse takes place before the main story of Alternative begins. Both have completely different characters/takes place in a different location.
Old 2012-07-15, 23:13   Link #892
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezexal View Post
Read the Posleen war series by John Ringo for more of that kind of stuiff. Watch on the rhine by Tom Kratman and John Ringo also features that.
Hmmm... Will look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually reading through the two threads on Muv Luv in the Games section (go visit them now, you have no excuse not to), the setting itself is pretty bleak. So yes, I fully expect the majority of the cast to NOT live through the series.
if none of you plan to read the main trilogy, then go on ahead. Otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea. ML can only be read once, and if you already know the events and other key points to the story, it's unlikely you'd experience the best ride you can possibly have. It's your choice to make, but I thought I should at least warn some of you here who are considering to read it...
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:19   Link #893
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Hmmm... Will look it up.
I think you'll be quite pleased. It was so much like MLA that I actually wrote to the author asking him to check out MLA once. Just stop after the end of the earth arc, the last few novels add almost nothing to the flavor.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2012-07-16, 00:02   Link #894
Utsuro no Hako

So did the writers deliberately set out to make a character more annoying than Sumika when they created Mandala? If she ends up being the main girl, I'm not sure I'll be able to get through the series.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 00:07   Link #895
Belgaesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So did the writers deliberately set out to make a character more annoying than Sumika when they created Mandala? If she ends up being the main girl, I'm not sure I'll be able to get through the series.
I think the main heroines are Yui and the Crimson Sisters, Innia and/or Cryska. At least I hope so...
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 00:24   Link #896
Markerlight

Not sure what to make of this series. Episode 3 has total different atmosphere to the previous 2 episodes, not to mention all new characters, and I was confused by Top Gun's hostile reaction to Yui.

I've always wondered why Sci-Fi stories use lasers so often because couldn't you just cover your ships and mechs with a reflective surface? Lasers just harmlessly bounce off mirrors.
Old 2012-07-16, 00:27   Link #897
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markerlight View Post
Not sure what to make of this series. Episode 3 has total different atmosphere to the previous 2 episodes, not to mention all new characters, and I was confused by Top Gun's hostile reaction to Yui.

I've always wondered why Sci-Fi stories use lasers so often because couldn't you just cover your ships and mechs with a reflective surface? Lasers just harmlessly bounce off mirrors.
Indeed, ep 3 is tangibly lighter and less cool than ep1-2. Soooo many new characters and terms it was hard to keep track.

Instead of conventional lasers, they've developed more awesomesauce lasers that hits and destroys even mirrors.
Old 2012-07-16, 00:28   Link #898
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Hmm, just checked out ep3, cause the live stream was not on last night.

Firstly, I think this is one series where the manga and the anime would complement each other, as the things shown in each medium helps the other. I would like to see how the VN does it.

Old 2012-07-16, 00:29   Link #899
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markerlight View Post
This little bit got answered for me in the thread on military and geopolitics (please visit!). [mod edit: removed the answer summary]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-16 at 20:25.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 00:29   Link #900
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
I think the main heroines are Yui and the Crimson Sisters, Innia and/or Cryska. At least I hope so...
The mains are Yuuya, Yui and Crys. Inia is a bonus added with Crys.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen