AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-11-16, 21:18   Link #21
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
I'm just using some option list some other encoder gave me (--> using same settings as for encoding stuff) which makes it run at 9fps, but oh well ;;
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 21:38   Link #22
Eviltape

You're probably using the Anime Max Quality preset for MeGUI or something. It does work very well for its purpose, though.
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 00:13   Link #23
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltape View Post
You're probably using the Anime Max Quality preset for MeGUI or something. It does work very well for its purpose, though.
Which would be the one using --me esa along with --ref 16 and too few bframes... Or have they managed to kill it even further since a year ago when I last looked at it?

*shrugs*

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...29&postcount=4
Old 2007-11-17, 01:12   Link #24
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
If you can tell me how to play mkv files on Windows Media Player, I'll convert. Right now, I'm sticking with avi.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 02:20   Link #25
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
<<22, 23: uh, I'm using x264 command line, it has --me umh...
<<24: cccp?
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 02:25   Link #26
Meatrose
Antihero

Well, my computer is a 4 year old shitty pile of old technology, and I have no problems whatsoever with h264 mkv's. Heck, I can even play some Blue-ray-rips (not all though). The reason I abandoned avi completely is... it's crap. The day I watched KAA's GitS:SAC I decided not to touch an avi again, and I still haven't.

Sure, the xvid-versions still gets downloaded more often, but I think the reason is that people are lazy and scared of changing medium. I have a LOT of friends who simply avoided mkv-releases due to the fact that "avi is the commonly used container... why switch to something else?". Most of them had never even tried watching a h264-encode, some of them had tried it using BS-player or WMP and just gave up. A few had actually bothered to use VLC which sucks only to go "meh", then gone back to avi. I forcefully installed CCCP on their computers and made them choose between MPC and Zoom. Today, most of them laugh at avi's, and only a few of them have computers that are "better" than mine. Even my younger brother, who was the hardest one to convert, has now ditched avi ever since he bought his PS3 and noticed the fact that it supports h264-encoded mp4.

What I'm trying to say is that I can't even imagine how old/shitty the computer must be in order to experience performance issues playing SD h264-releases. But then again, I know very little about all this. It simply strikes me as odd that so many people are still sticking to the dying medium that avi is. The transition avi --> mkv/mp4 should be even smoother than the one from VCR to DVD, since the latter actually required you to buy new hardware. Most of us don't need to do that in order to watch and enjoy h264. One simply needs to install some free, easy to handle software to be good to go.
Old 2007-11-17, 04:58   Link #27
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
If you can tell me how to play mkv files on Windows Media Player, I'll convert. Right now, I'm sticking with avi.
Okay, first, install CCCP:

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...oad_Here.21.29

Then, take a look at this:

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/ind...able_Player.29

Then I suggest that you simply use Media Player Classic, since everything will work like it should with it. Of course, you can still use WMP, but since there could be problems with it, using a better player would be for your own benefit.

EDIT: Could someone also fix the typo I made in the topic name? It's supposed to be "Why are people still sticking to old and outdated technology?"
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 07:20   Link #28
Eviltape

Actually, if you want to encode also, install an ffdshow tryouts build (get a nightly, the generic lacks some useful features) and Haali Media Splitter. It's the most minimalistic process I can tell you, aside from just installing CCCP. (which I'd love, except that it uses the old ffdshow non-tryouts build)
Old 2007-11-17, 07:35   Link #29
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
CCCP uses tryouts builds of ffdshow.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 07:48   Link #30
Eviltape

Sorry, should've rephrased that. OLD ffdshow tryouts-builds. As in Febuary.
Old 2007-11-17, 08:39   Link #31
X10A_Freedom

Thanks for the tip Daiz. Does CoreAVC actually give better image quality as well as opposed to the VLC that I'm currently using for .mkv?

Another factor in people not converting - I have 7 different media players to get the best out of various formats. The average Joe and Mary will only have one or two, with WMP being the main. Geeks like us are the minority.

There are also plenty of people still on 15' and 17' monitors who don't really get any benefits from .mkv I think.

I use mp3s as opposed to AAC. Sorry, it's just a way more common format with far more support. Not all mp3 players support AAC.

I'm personally content with sticking with "good" (xvid, mp3) stuff rather than having to get the "best" (mkv, AAC).
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 08:52   Link #32
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

X10A_Freedom, here's some answers:

About CoreAVC: Well, I don't know if it actually gives better image quality, but it makes H.264 decoding faster and less processor-heavy. You can set options about deblocking and deinterlacing in the CoreAVC configuration, too, but I don't know if ffdshow can do these as well.

Also, using VLC with MKVs is a BIG MISTAKE. VLC's softsub support is literally HORRIBLE. You will only harm yourself by using VLC with MKVs.

About 7 different media players: You don't need them. If you install CCCP, you will be able to play pretty much every fansub (and other video, expect for maybe RMVBs, install Real Alternative if you for some unknown reason would ever want to play Real Media) ever with Media Player Classic perfectly. You won't simply need other players. I have never had to resort to using another player after I started using CCCP.

I myself have a 17" CRT with 1280x1024 resolution, and I can easily see the difference between quality with HQ MKV releases and MQ AVI releases.

And I use MP3 for music too. Pretty much everyone does. But video files are a different subject. They actually benefit from AAC, so there's no reason to not use it.

So, the bottom line is that it only requires one download (CCCP), one installation and one player (MPC) in order to play everything completely fine. And one extra install if you are going to get CoreAVC.

CCCP+CoreAVC+MPC is the best playback combination for everything, period.
Old 2007-11-17, 09:12   Link #33
X10A_Freedom

Will give CCCP and stuff a try soon.

For the record I currently have:

DivX Player - just for the codec
PowerDVD - for *real* DVDs
QuickTime Player - .mp4 .mov (my camera)
RealPlayer - for the rare .rmvb anime source
VLC - .mkv and any obscure format which I have trouble with.
Winamp - .mp3s, really gives better sound quality than WMP.
WMP - for .avi

Edit: MPC = mplayer2.exe right?
Old 2007-11-17, 09:14   Link #34
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltape View Post
Sorry, should've rephrased that. OLD ffdshow tryouts-builds. As in Febuary.
The latest CCCP was built around the 7th July. Betas are generally done every few weeks if you have some insatiable need to be on the bleeding edge.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 09:23   Link #35
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Will give CCCP and stuff a try soon.

For the record I currently have:

DivX Player - just for the codec
PowerDVD - for *real* DVDs
QuickTime Player - .mp4 .mov (my camera)
RealPlayer - for the rare .rmvb anime source
VLC - .mkv and any obscure format which I have trouble with.
Winamp - .mp3s, really gives better sound quality than WMP.
WMP - for .avi

Edit: MPC = mplayer2.exe right?
No. MPC = Media Player Classic

and even notepad can be mplayer2.exe in this case... :/

And honestly, I have no clue why one would need so many media players. And regarding your previous post, as far as I'm aware it's not like your average geek uses a player for every single different format... because that's just really silly. And VLC for MKV... (Please don't tell me the softsubbed ones )

CCCP will handle all those (without any need of installing a crapload of codecs *cough cough KLite, ACE, etc...*), as will our good friend mplayer.
Old 2007-11-17, 09:51   Link #36
X10A_Freedom

Yes, I did indeed use it VLC for .mkb softsubs - didn't have anything else. I also didn't know a thing about CCCP until I read this thread. I'm now down to 5 media players (RealPlayer, DivX, QuickTime eliminated!)

And MPC - didn't realise it was a hacked version of mplayer2.exe!

(and I'm no true geek! )
Old 2007-11-17, 09:59   Link #37
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

X10A_Freedom, MPC will handle all of those (CCCP doesn't have codecs for Real Media, but you can install Real Alternative to watch RMVBs in MPC), but just keep using Winamp for your music.

So in the end, you should only have Media Player Classic (the executable name is usually mplayerc.exe, by the way) for video and Winamp for audio. Makes life simpler, huh?
Old 2007-11-17, 10:11   Link #38
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I use MPC for -all- my video. A ton of different formats/codecs used over the years, and my DVDs. Plays them all no worries with CCCP.

I use Winamp for all of my audio, mostly mp3, some ogg, flac, MODs, etc.

Having used most of the video players out there, I really do like the light weight nature of MPC, and it's nice and powerful to boot. Does everything without any issues while using very little memory (unlike WMP, BS, Zoom etc.) and CPU, which would certainly help people on lesser machines. But I don't really have an issue in that regard; when playing back 720 encodes, MPC only uses 8-12% CPU. More people should consider lightweight players to deal with modern formats. >.<
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 10:22   Link #39
X10A_Freedom

One issue though. MPC couldn't playback my Otoboku .mp4s so VLC came back in. I'll keep it as the fallback media player.

WMP10 stays because it's easy to scroll back and forth with 1-second precision, important for transcribing for my dissertation!

PowerDVD stays as well because I have "history" with *real* DVDs. I don't have a region-free DVD to test MPC with right now, nor do I have the installation CD for PowerDVD!

I gave MPC a try with .mkv Code Geass and it's an instant improvement. Thanks for all the help! I'm actually a person who hates change!
Old 2007-11-17, 10:42   Link #40
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Did you uninstall all your previous codecs and reboot before installing CCCP? Because you should be able to play all MP4 media with CCCP, seeing that MP4 can only contain MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.263, MPEG-4 ASP, VC-1/WMV and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video, and CCCP can handle all of them properly (except for maybe VC-1, but I don't think there even is any free encoders available for VC-1, so it can't be VC-1). Same for audio formats, CCCP should be able to play all of them properly. Sounds like the video file itself is broken, maybe it's not complete or something.

Also, you can configure the MPC hotkeys and jump rates. Look around in options, you can for example change things so that you can jump one second backward/forward when pressing left or right arrow key.

MPC can also open any real DVDs without trouble, just open MPC, go to File and choose Open DVD, or press Ctrl+D.