AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-03, 14:24   Link #201
Raiga
tl;dr

Wow! Everything from the animation to the direction to the sound felt more like a movie than a TV anime. I was really looking forward to this so color me suitably impressed. ^^

Though as a huge Itou Kanae fanboy I suppose I'm a bit biased. XD
Old 2011-04-03, 14:30   Link #202
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 1:
Old 2011-04-03, 14:55   Link #203
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

So far, the best pilot episode of this season for me:
Already mentioned by many, but this episode certainly has a very good direction and definitely introduced the characters properly so far.
It is also nice to have a OVA-level of budget, similar to Canaan (it would arguably not be the same impression if it was the same level of Angel Beats).

The drama is not exaggerated and it is a breath of fresh air compared to what we have got so far.
I must admit that it is a bit a pity that there isn't any other likable characters aside of Ohana, but I guess I should give more time for characters like Minko.

But damn, I hope we won't have that insert song again in the future...
Old 2011-04-03, 15:14   Link #204
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This is the first Spring 2011 anime that I've watched, so I'm not in a position to compare it to anything else yet.

The animation/art work is excellent, as is to be expected of P.A. Works.

Ohana is a pretty good character. I like her well enough.

The supporting cast has some interesting characters.

However, I'm afraid that my take on this episode differs considerably from the general consensus of this thread after those three points.

Maybe watching Madoka Magica has made me particularly tire of this, but I'm not really in a mood to watch another likable female lead be made to suffer.

And like Klashikari, I don't find any of the other characters likable so far, and that is a significant disappointment for me.

Hopefully that will change, but let's just say that this anime hasn't won me over yet.
Old 2011-04-03, 16:35   Link #205
Master Anime
Miracle Man
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Master Anime
Nice 1st episode And it's truly give me feeling of fresh air seeing this
Best episode 1 of this season so far

ohana is nice girl but is not my type, i want see other girls story soon
Old 2011-04-03, 16:49   Link #206
Tworble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Wow! Everything from the animation to the direction to the sound felt more like a movie than a TV anime. I was really looking forward to this so color me suitably impressed. ^^

I was biased against it and
I feel the same way. When I first say the images and description I thought; "Stupid, banal, moeblob otaku fantasy: next please". Now I am wondering what other series I have passed over for the same reason.
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:50   Link #207
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Third show I've watched this season. While I still anticipate Steins;Gate to be my favorite of the season, this will probably be neck and neck with it in the battle for my favorite of the season.

The direction is fantastic. It may very well be a new standard for these sorts of slice-of-life/coming-of-age type stories.

Ohana managed to spark the audience from the getgo, as the main character she seems to be very relateable to anyone. She's dissatisfied with her city life and when further complications from her mother arise, she is given a chance for a new life which she hopes will be a good one. Unfortunately life doesn't seem to have shined brightly on her. The transition went rough, and the people she has met are less than friendly to her.

The character interactions are not oerly-reactive or expressive, there's no useless fanservice, the visuals are great, and there's interesting challenges with a wide cast.

All I can say is I should fasten my seatbelt, since I am going to enjoy this ride .

I give this episode a 9/10.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 16:57   Link #208
cyth
Banned

This show is awesome and I can't stress that in a better way. Not sure how well it'll click with NEETs though because of its theme; it's certainly a double-edged blade in that regard. Other than that, has anyone figured out where Kissuisui or Yunosagi are located? The kanji on the train station's platters weren't of any help, but I'm guessing it's located somewhere in Ishikawa as that's what promotion for this series was saying before it aired. Perhaps Toyama?

EDIT: Ohana definitely reminds me of my younger sister, at least from the way she acted before the bitchslap fest.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 17:04   Link #209
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I am not usually a huge Itou Kanae fan, but she was absolutely outstanding here, creating a character with potential depth.

Completely agree,not one of her fans but I have to give credit where credit is due and she's doing a great job here,those monologues really put the pressure on the VA and she delivered.

Quote:
And maybe Okada Mari is better at doing original stories than adapting other people's.
To me it seems Okada Mari is just better at "down to earth" type shows,where there's no fantasy,action etc,even if its not that popular I consider "sketchbook full color's" to be a brillant 4 koma adaptation and I like Toradora quite a bit too (though unlike sketchbook I havn't read the original work so I can't compare) meanwhile Canaan is original and I had quite a few problems with it.

edit: Zakuro also comes to mind as another "down to earth" adaptation I liked ,it wasn't really an action show despite the action scenes here and there.

Quote:
Maybe watching Madoka Magica has made me particularly tire of this, but I'm not really in a mood to watch another likable female lead be made to suffer.
The big difference with Madoka is that here I can guarantee you we'e going to get a heartwarming ending while Madoka is going to be bittersweet at best.
Old 2011-04-03, 17:07   Link #210
Bri

The first episode is promising. Seems more like an animated J-drama then an otaku bait show. As expected some truely gorgeous animation from P.A.Works. Hopefully this time they will be able to leave out their equally expected pacing issues that plagued Angel Beats, Canaan and True Tears. First episode at least got that part right. Characters look interesting and Ohana is adorable as a modern day Cinderella. Will keep watching this show.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 17:24   Link #211
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hah, Ohana's pretty awesome. I like her deadpan humor, but she's also full of life and willpower. Sounds like a wise character, probably needed to due to her epic fail of a mom. (Why are anime parents always so shitty?) And now she's stuck in this crappy job place; so how is she gonna adapt to this environment?

First episode is a very good introduction and gets an umm... 8/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 17:24   Link #212
Xacual

After watching the episode, I find it really hard to side against Ohana. No one really told her where to go to take care of her things and it honestly seems like most of the people are already prejudiced against her without even knowing anything about the girl. I can understand the Chef being mad that she butted in, but Ohana was right, you don't learn anything from being yelled at and scolded.

At the same time it is an inn and the customers always come first so I can understand how angry the grandmother would be over what Ohana did.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 18:08   Link #213
FireChick

Quote:
After watching the episode, I find it really hard to side against Ohana. No one really told her where to go to take care of her things and it honestly seems like most of the people are already prejudiced against her without even knowing anything about the girl.
I think it's because the people at the inn aren't on good terms with Ohana's mother. But I do hope they learn that Ohana and her mother are different people. Ohana shouldn't be treated badly because of her mother's mistakes (which I hope we get to learn more about).
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 18:09   Link #214
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Have you ever encountered something extremely simple, but you know deep down that it's high quality and absolutely fantastic?

That's how I feel about Hanasaku Iroha (or Hanairo).

It's nice to see that Ohana isn't a shy, doormat type of girl. She seems to be level-headed, responsible, and is optimistic (but not overly so to the point that she becomes annoying or is heavily disillusioned -- she has what I would call "true realistic optimism"). Probably one of few characters I've seen in an anime series in a LONG while that has such a real-life average attitude about things.

My first impression of Minko was that she is the stereotypical "tough on the outside, soft on the outside" type. But that quickly changed after her last two appearances. She may have a deeper issue of some sort that makes her act that way. She pisses me off... in a good way. I can see a LOT of character development coming her way. Nako doesn't interest me as much, but I like how she's like Ohana in the sense that she isn't that typical "easy to walk all over them" shy girl, either (albeit being soft-spoken).

Grandmother is kind of awesome in an angering way. I like her. I wonder if she's hoping that Ohana will bring into her life what her own daughter couldn't?

I know it's just the first episode, but I went in not expecting much and ended up getting impressed. I will definitely stick with this one. I can't wait to see Ohana win everyone over. If the plot can avoid being predictable or boring, then it'll be quite a treat.

Oh, and this show as a whole is giving me strong Spirited Away vibes. Not the plot, but there are a lot of lesser elements they share (bath house/inn setting, angry old boss woman, the whole "newcomer helps improve the employees' lives" and "young lead (possibly) eventually learning the importance of hard work" themes).
Old 2011-04-03, 18:17   Link #215
bbee

Great first ep! The show without a doubt has heart, it plays on your emotions without becoming melodramatic and while keeping a good pace. The dialogue is witty and charming, the setting is interesting, the cast is varied.. The protagonist is appealing! The story looks like it will turn into one of self-discovery, maybe combined with overcoming adversity, which is among my favorite plots if done well and with subtlety, which this show displays every intention of achieving.

Only thing I'm worried about is caricatures/stereotypes among the cast, but even if the characters are developed only to the depth that Ohana was in ep 1, this will be an amazing show.. And I didn't even mention the animation.. One to watch, for sure.
bbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 18:40   Link #216
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Best show of the season. we have our set couple, Ohana and Ko, and several other characters who have 26 eps to be developed. I'm super excited. animation is what i expect it to be from PA Works, music was great, and the VAs were very fitting.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 18:41   Link #217
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
This is fantastic
No "cute girls doing cute things at an onsen"
No "moeblob and nothing happens"
No "panties and boobies flashing harem"
Anime-infused lunchtime soap opera?

Sign me up!
I just came to the realization that my viewing age has become that of a middle-age housewife...

Real life is tough. Work is tough. Coming of age.

Plus the gorgeous production value that PA Works is known for.

This is exactly what I am looking for and what I expected.
I'm with you on that one.

Nothing flashy, nothing like the norm that I've seen in the last two to three seasons of animes lately.

This is different. The production value from PA Works is incredible and it shows in every single frame of the first episode.

I cannot wait for the second episode now and hopefully the single from nano.RIPE comes out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post

Yup, I felt the same way. This is one of those rare animes that felt more like a movie than a thirty minute show.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode.
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 18:45   Link #218
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I'm feel a bit exhausted just after watching this, the animation level might capable to cure cancer.
Old 2011-04-03, 19:10   Link #219
D-Gold
Aurum

Well this is the first show I watched in the spring season and i really like it so far. I watched it without not knowing anything about it but i feel this will end up being one of my favorite shows of this season the others being hidan no aria and kami nomi zo shiru sekai season II.

Spoiler for ko:
Old 2011-04-03, 19:14   Link #220
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
To me it seems Okada Mari is just better at "down to earth" type shows,where there's no fantasy,action etc,even if its not that popular I consider "sketchbook full color's" to be a brillant 4 koma adaptation and I like Toradora quite a bit too (though unlike sketchbook I havn't read the original work so I can't compare) meanwhile Canaan is original and I had quite a few problems with it.

edit: Zakuro also comes to mind as another "down to earth" adaptation I liked ,it wasn't really an action show despite the action scenes here and there.
Okada's excellent at adapting pre-existing works, IMO. She's also great at writing original, dialogue-driven episodes (which is important for dramas, as you say) within series structured by either herself or other writers.

So far, I'm not overly fond of how she structures and develops original content though. That includes the original parts to Toradora (done from an outline for the last light novel), Zakuro, and Fractale (whole series developed from Azuma's plan), as well as True Tears (some stellar dialogue but lacklustre pacing and development) and CANAAN. Supposedly, the original episodes for Kuroshitsuji suffer from similar issues, although I've never watched that show.

Okada's a superstar writer at the moment - she's getting contracts from everywhere for both adaptations and flagship originals - but unless she pens a winner fairly soon, I have a feeling that the industry may lose confidence in her ability to deliver original content. The excitement over True Tears can only carry her for so long.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life