Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-24, 19:32   Link #221
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Yomiko does more fighting but if you are looking for pure action keep an eye on Anita.
I don't like the English VA of Nancy, I'll check to see who it is and if it is different from the movie.
Where did you hear the English VA of Nancy from the TV series? The R1 DVD is not out yet and as far as I know, only G4 is airing ROD The TV and they have not broadcasted any episodes with Nancy in it. Anyway, I was comparing the Japanese voices.

I just saw episode 20. The first fight was pretty silent. However, the second fight in that episode was a RUSH! Look at Anita go!!! I was impressed and it ended in like...10 seconds? 15? Wow. Hopefully, they'll have better action scenes like that in episode 1. The last part of episode 20 was...shocking.

Also, does anyone know if Nancy will fight? I would like to see her fight again. I know in one of the R2 DVD covers, they have a Nancy in civilian clothes holding a gun. In episode 17 when Junior was holding the gun, I thought Nancy would pull her technique on us! But no...
Old 2004-10-25, 11:33   Link #222
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Where did you hear the English VA of Nancy from the TV series? The R1 DVD is not out yet and as far as I know, only G4 is airing ROD The TV and they have not broadcasted any episodes with Nancy in it. Anyway, I was comparing the Japanese voices.

Also, does anyone know if Nancy will fight? I would like to see her fight again. I know in one of the R2 DVD covers, they have a Nancy in civilian clothes holding a gun. In episode 17 when Junior was holding the gun, I thought Nancy would pull her technique on us! But no...
OMG You are right, I'm thinking of the Japanese VA for Nancy in RodTV and the English VA for Nancy in RoD. Bad Bad Forbin! Sorry I was having a flashback and the HORRIBLE subs I got in the Chinese version of RoDTV. I forgot the latest release of English RoDTV is 12.

Nancy fights, but less than Junior, he's the male star of the show. (Though Chase steals the show I think in the male category. Everyone already knows that Anita is the female star).
Old 2004-10-26, 23:50   Link #223
Sakuya
*Artist

So does Nancy remember her old memories or what? What episodes does she fight in? Who's Chase? Sorry, I'm too excited to wait for my downloads to finish.
Old 2004-10-27, 03:20   Link #224
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Heh Chase is the blonde money guy from ROD. He shows up in RoDTV at Episode 10? (The Ecchi Episode!! Hehe).

Nancy shows up in 18. She does fighting in most of the action episodes after that.

Spoiler for About Nancy:
Old 2004-10-27, 14:17   Link #225
Sakuya
*Artist

Do you mean the hot springs episode? That guy is Drake...
Old 2004-10-27, 16:28   Link #226
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Crap! It is Drake...I messed up again...why am I calling him Chase?
Old 2006-01-04, 02:07   Link #227
Morisato

Finished watching this series... few questions

1) Why did Joker want Nenene so much? At first I thought he wanted her as a backup for Gentleman but after she "escaped", even though he was starting the project, he just had to recapture her and make her go inside the chamber. Why don't bad guys ever kill their enemies when they have the chance?
2) What is the importance of Nenene? Everybody seems to fit into the whole Gentleman plot but she's just there...
3) Does Junior think of Michelle more of a mother figure than Nancy?
4) Why is Joker-san called Joker-san?
5) Whats an I-Jin?
6) How can Nenene hide a stack of paper under her shirt without being noticed OR falling out when she was swinging her arms around yelling at Joker?
7) Where is Michelle and Junior at? Do they live together now and Maggie/Anita seperately? If Nancy stays with Junior and Yomiko stays with Nancy and then Nenene stays with Yomiko, does that mean they all live in the countryside now and Maggie/Anita live by themselves?

How many volumes are there in Shin Read or Die? And does the anime follow the manga's ending?

Last edited by Morisato; 2006-01-04 at 02:59.
Old 2006-01-04, 03:03   Link #228
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morisato
Finished watching this series... few questions

1) Why did Joker want Nenene so much? At first I thought he wanted her as a backup for Gentleman but after she "escaped", even though he was starting the project, he just had to recapture her and make her go inside the chamber. Why don't bad guys ever kill their enemies when they have the chance?
2) What is the importance of Nenene? Everybody seems to fit into the whole Gentleman plot but she's just there...
3) Does Junior think of Michelle more of a mother figure than Nancy?
4) Why is Joker-san called Joker-san?
5) Whats an I-Jin?
6) How can Nenene hide a stack of paper under her shirt without being noticed OR falling out when she was swinging her arms around yelling at Joker?
7) Where is Michelle and Junior at? Do they live together now and Maggie/Anita seperately? If Nancy stays with Junior and Yomiko stays with Nancy and then Nenene stays with Yomiko, does that mean they all live in the countryside now and Maggie/Anita live by themselves?
1. Nenene is NOT a backup of anybody. You are confused. Nenene was first the primary target of Dokusensha in being the main component of the "Universal language" project, a means for Dokusensha to dominate the world via mass brainwashing. (similar to what the British Library ended up doing. But they are NOT the same.) But since they didn't have a "Mr Gentleman", they needed someone to write the script for the world to be. Nenene was a very good script writer, as such they need her.
(If you wondered why they couldn't just hire someone else, Nenene was an unmatched genius. Back in the days before she stopped writing, Nenene was known to type two different novels on two separate laptops in the same time with her two hands, while dictating a third story on microphone. That's why Yomiko worships her.)
(extra note: She managed to write a new novel in a few days while she was captured by Joker. Did you think she was scribbling non-sense?)

Anyway, Dokusensha underestimated her brain-power, and was unable to force her to become their story writer. Joker doesn't actually need Nenene at all, but captured her alive purely as a hostage.

2. Nenene, as I said, only fits into Dokusensha's plans. Otherwise she isn't that vital except as motivation for Yomiko to snap out of her depression.

3. Junior can have as many mother-figures as he wants.

4. Joker is the code-name short hand, like "The Paper". It is also the short version of "Joe Carpenter." But no one knows if Joe Carpenter is his real name or not. I don't believe "joker" meant "clown", but more like the trump card in a card game...

5. I-jin are the famous people in history who are, in ROD universe, exaggerated in their powers as to make them super-powered. People with superpowers are actually fairly common in the ROD universe, so there isn't any reason to think people in their past won't have powers too. Think of I-jins as mutants who have powers and/or abnormal intellegence. Some of the I-jins in ROD OVA had extra steam-powered cybernetics installed.
The DNA of past I-jins long-dead were stored in the British Library until they were stolen by Dokusensha. It is assumed that in the OVA, the Chinese made the I-jins from the stolen DNA, but were unable to control/command them. The I-jins rebelled, left Dokusensha, and attacked the world.

6. She has large breasts. Any more questions?

7. Yomiko and Nenene are on a long book-buying excursion, though in reality they are actually acompanying (right-handed) Nancy in her search for her clone (left-handed) sister, as she believe she is still alive somewhere. The "left-handed" Nancy was first sighted in India in the OVA, so they went there to track down people who knew her. Anyway both Nenene and Yomiko still have their own houses, and there is no way Yomiko would ever stop getting new books to read, so living in the middle of nowhere is out of the question. Yomiko's house, though big enough for a family of 20, is too stuffed full with books for anyone but her to live in. Nenene's apartment is still not big enough to fit everyone, so naturally using Yomiko's holiday home isn't such a strange idea.

Anyway, what stops them from visiting each other?

NOTE: You did realise that the "Good" Nancy was left-handed, and the ROD TV Nancy is right-handed, right?
Old 2006-01-04, 03:47   Link #229
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
7. Yomiko and Nenene are on a long book-buying excursion, though in reality they are actually acompanying (right-handed) Nancy in her search for her clone (left-handed) sister, as she believe she is still alive somewhere. The "left-handed" Nancy was first sighted in India in the OVA, so they went there to track down people who knew her.

NOTE: You did realise that the "Good" Nancy was left-handed, and the ROD TV Nancy is right-handed, right?
Of course, I got that. What I don't get is where you heard the original Nancy is still alive?! Was that in the final episode, because I seriously missed it!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-04, 03:51   Link #230
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Of course, I got that. What I don't get is where you heard the original Nancy is still alive?! Was that in the final episode, because I seriously missed it!
I did not say Left-Landed Nancy is still alive as a fact. I am saying the Right-handed Nancy believes that she is still alive. Hence the trip to India.

After all, RL Nancy probably have enough guilt in her to at least do this much for her sister. Hope is a powerful thing.

EDIT: Other than hope, it's also a fact that no one actually saw LH Nancy dead. It's awfully difficult to kill an I-jin, so RL Nancy is counting on her sister's resilience too. "I an't believing she's dead until I see her corpse", kind of thing. But won't it be cool if LH Nancy IS alive? Junior will have an auntie!
Old 2006-01-04, 04:00   Link #231
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Were there any hints that she was alive, or is RH Nancy just hoping without any evidence at all?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-04, 04:07   Link #232
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Were there any hints that she was alive, or is RH Nancy just hoping without any evidence at all?
That is for her to know... We aren't told, but there must be a reason why RL Nancy went on her quest, even if only because she felt it in her bones. Kind of romantic, don't you think?

Then again, I have a desire to trust the intuitions of people who have superpowers...
Old 2006-01-04, 04:08   Link #233
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I did not say Left-Landed Nancy is still alive as a fact. I am saying the Right-handed Nancy believes that she is still alive. Hence the trip to India.

After all, RL Nancy probably have enough guilt in her to at least do this much for her sister. Hope is a powerful thing.

EDIT: Other than hope, it's also a fact that no one actually saw LH Nancy dead. It's awfully difficult to kill an I-jin, so RL Nancy is counting on her sister's resilience too. "I an't believing she's dead until I see her corpse", kind of thing. But won't it be cool if LH Nancy IS alive? Junior will have an auntie!
Hmm I read that differently.

BTW R-Nancy was in India in the OVA during the Satellite Shot. That prompted Joker to Realize that L-Nancy was part of the Enemy (Though he didn't know they were different back then) in India Left and Right Switched Places. The one who put the braid in Yomiko's Hair was L-Nancy, after India, R-Nancy took over because Goku failed.

R-Nancy is in India trying to find out about herself. What kind of person she was. She just wants to discover who R-Nancy was. (Well we know she wasn't a nice person). L-Nancy is dead.

And Nenene is VERY important to the Gentlemen Project. She is his 'Disciple'. The one who will spread the word of Gentlemen around the world. He had many of these during the height of the British Empire (Remember the Empire used to span over 50% of the known world back then). Gentlemen needs a skilled writer to spread his word. Pretty much any skilled writer will do, but Nenene was certified by Dokusensha as one of the Great Ones. Why bother looking for another when they have her right there?
Old 2006-01-04, 05:10   Link #234
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

To be exact, in the OVA RH Nancy swapped over when she appeared with Yomiko's new suit-case, holding it in her right hand, just before leaving India.

You can even know who won the Nancy/Nancy fight ahead of time, since the winner climbed out of the water with her left hand first.

I need to check the final TV episode again... I still believe she went to India to track down her sister? You clearly saw her holding up a picture of LH Nancy to a street vendor, asking questions. The vendor pointed at her, likely saying "isn't the person in the photo you? To which RL Nancy shakes her head.

I really can't interpret that scene, as well as her letter to Junior, as anything but proof that she is still hoping to find LH Nancy alive. Can't find the DVD right now, for some reason though...
Old 2006-01-04, 18:32   Link #235
Morisato

One more thing.

Why did Junior seperate everybody before he faked his death (and not drug Anita with the rest)? And why did he betray his friends then rebetray Joker?

How many volumes are there to Shin Read or Die? Thx.
Old 2006-01-04, 19:07   Link #236
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morisato
One more thing.

Why did Junior seperate everybody before he faked his death (and not drug Anita with the rest)? And why did he betray his friends then rebetray Joker?

How many volumes are there to Shin Read or Die? Thx.
Read or Die has 1 Volume that I am aware of. (Due out next month!)

Read or Dream has 2 that I am aware of (Not Licensed).

Anita and Yomiko were the 2 most likely to know where the book was, so they were left behind.

He didn't betray the girls, he mostly likely did it to get them away from the troops.
He separated them because it would be harder to find them all.
Old 2006-01-05, 22:15   Link #237
Yondaime
4th Hokage 四代目火影

What do you guys think about
Spoiler:
Thanks for voicing your thoughts, I look forward to them

- Umineko no naku koro ni
Old 2006-07-17, 15:01   Link #238
Rin-chan

Send a message via AIM to Rin-chan Send a message via MSN to Rin-chan
Read or Die Anita/Hisami Fanfiction ? Does it Exist ?

This actually really surprises me, The TV series of R.O.D serously devolopted the realationship between Anita and Hisami. But when I look I cant find a single Fanfiction thats for the two. Maybe someone can answer why this exactly is. Maybe R.O.D just never hit the mainstream very well
Old 2006-07-17, 17:00   Link #239
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-chan
This actually really surprises me, The TV series of R.O.D serously devolopted the realationship between Anita and Hisami. But when I look I cant find a single Fanfiction thats for the two. Maybe someone can answer why this exactly is. Maybe R.O.D just never hit the mainstream very well
2 Loli's in a yuri relationship? There probably is.

BTW According to Geneon, RoD the TV probably made them more money than any of their other titles in recent years. So I would consider it as mainstream as it can get.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-07-18, 09:30   Link #240
neoko

The 2nd half of the series was such a let down ;S

1st half was fun to watch. OVA was awesome.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, drama