Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-22, 03:17   Link #101
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
If I recall the line, it basically means amateur so noob works just fine there.
I thought it was the translation's group adding line on purpose, since the "noob" word got me by surprise
Old 2011-01-22, 06:55   Link #102
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I thought it was the translation's group adding line on purpose, since the "noob" word got me by surprise
It's really the best translation in that context. "Amateur" sounds weird when talking about children's card games, as does other possibilities like "newcomer" or "greenhorn" or "inexperienced", especially because it was intended to be condescending.

I did have a bit of an argument about whether to spell it "noob" or "newb" with my editor, however. She won after google proved that "noob" is more common.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 17:41   Link #103
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

How about "newbie"
Old 2011-01-22, 17:51   Link #104
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
How about "newbie"
That could work as well
Old 2011-01-22, 20:23   Link #105
cohen

Do you think Nintendo and Konami could sue Bushiroad/TMS for including their card games as posters in Card Capital? They were almost exact replicas of the Yugioh OCG and Pokemon CCG, just the Yugioh one was far away, while the Pokemon poster cut off a small bit at the top. Also, anyone notice the Vanguard poster with Aichi on it?
Old 2011-01-22, 21:05   Link #106
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

I don't think they'd be able to sue for having similar card frames, it would have to be more obvious than that. But on the other hand, they used official artwork for Air TV on the Yu-Gi-Oh! poster for some reason.

Sounds like the creators are at least trying to have fun with the series.
Old 2011-01-22, 21:31   Link #107
cohen

This is horrible by the minute. I hope they don't sue, but they have every right to with such blatent usage of stock art.

After looking at that image, I see Black Wing Armed Wing, while still being very blurry, you can see it as one of the while borders. Or it might just be the artwork they put inside looks similar.
Old 2011-01-22, 21:43   Link #108
Kakkou
Tch.

Exaggeration much? This isn't the first time an anime has featured art/posters/whatnot of other titles, whether it be for a direct reference or just some fun by the animators.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 21:47   Link #109
cohen

But this is a product being sold on the mass market that extends way past the anime market.

Imagine if this image was in VG

http://www.yugioh.com/images/slider/...ters/yusei.png
Old 2011-01-22, 22:19   Link #110
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I highly doubt they are getting sued by anyone. That was nowher near the level they would think of suing anyone.

Anyway, this episode was nice, a good little slice of life bit. I liked Aichi's sister and the match with Morikawa was ..OK.

This episode really reinforces the similarities with Yugioh. Aichi's Yugi, Kai is a nicer version of Kaiba, and Morikawa is another Junouchi, though judging from the OP, he won't play as huge a role as Junouchi did.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 23:17   Link #111
cohen

No, it is a mockery, they are basically saying VG will surpass Yugioh and Pokemon CCG while that will most likely not be the case.

In this image (http://i54.tinypic.com/264nor7.jpg) you can see some of the monsters. CosmicGhost at Janime has checked to see what each card is, and looking at what he/she found, it is rather insulting they are able to get away with that.

In order from left to right: Koaki' Meiru Powerhand, Earthbound Immortal Ccapac Apu, Power Tool Dragon, Vanguard of the Dragon, Strong Wind Dragon, Koaki' Meiru Valafar, Blackwing Arms Wing.

It looks like an ad for Raging Battle.
Old 2011-01-22, 23:25   Link #112
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

The studio possibly had permission to have images of other shows, if this wasn't the case. They would immediately be scolded for it, but not in the case of actually being sued just for short images that people exaggerate could start a war saying Vanguard is better. I have seen other animes with images of other animes on posters, wallpapers, etc, etc and nothing was ever remarked on it. It's just something to tease the eye.
Old 2011-01-22, 23:27   Link #113
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
The studio possibly had permission to have images of other shows, if this wasn't the case. They would immediately be scolded for it, but not in the case of actually being sued just for short images that people exaggerate could start a war saying Vanguard is better. I have seen other animes with images of other animes on posters, wallpapers, etc, etc and nothing was ever remarked on it. It's just something to tease the eye.
I don't think Konami would actively give a rival such permission. It has been suggested this is like Lucky Star, but I bring up that Lucky Star was not main stream, while this is trying to be so.
Old 2011-01-22, 23:35   Link #114
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post
I don't think Konami would actively give a rival such permission. It has been suggested this is like Lucky Star, but I bring up that Lucky Star was not main stream, while this is trying to be so.
Either way, this would not really start a war that would involve suing the other. If that was the case, then 2-3 other animes that I have watched in the past would have been sued off. But if they are rivals as you claim, then it just might be so if the rivalry is to that extent.
Old 2011-01-22, 23:37   Link #115
cohen

Were these other series merchandise driven, where showcasing it in an implied negative way could hurt or humilate the other merchandise? If it did, then you got me there.
Old 2011-01-22, 23:50   Link #116
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Were these other series merchandise driven, where showcasing it in an implied negative way could hurt or humilate the other merchandise? If it did, then you got me there.
I can't really say much about it since I don't 100% remember exactly which animes they were and what animes they were indirectly quoting. But there were some cases where they were "images, pictures, etc" of this anime in another anime series. Sometimes they were really small that it took fans quite a bit to spot them. But there was nothing that could "humiliate" the other series to a horrible extent, just used some quotes from that anime for "comedy relief". But there was nothing bitter between the two so there was nothing to go about. But the fans surely had things to say about them.

Of course this is just trying to get things off the base of my memory, so I don't know if I'm 100% accurate of it.
Old 2011-01-23, 05:16   Link #117
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
It takes 7 direct similarities to have the right to sue someone for plagiarism. Vanguard is almost there as it is practically telling us it is a tribute/rip-off of Yugioh.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 08:23   Link #118
cohen

It is a hypothetical battle, lets see how it plays out once the card game comes out, as well as ratings.
Old 2011-01-23, 08:38   Link #119
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
But this is a product being sold on the mass market that extends way past the anime market.
So? Again, there have been anime that have done references/parodies of titles, be it their anime, manga or merchandise. This is rarely a big deal as most of the time the studio has gotten permission to do so or the other party doesn't care enough to moan about it.
Quote:
No, it is a mockery, they are basically saying VG will surpass Yugioh and Pokemon CCG while that will most likely not be the case.
-snip-
... Excuse me while I take a deep breath.

Right, did any of the characters say anything along the lines of "Oh hey what's that poster back there?" "Oh it's just Yu****." "Oh that game, it was shiiit." "I know right? Such crap lolz. Vanguard is like, so much better.". There wasn't any hostility against Yu**** or whatever other thing they've parodied/referenced. That is just utter paranoia coming from what I take to be hardcore Yu**** fans.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but what wasn't that shop supposed to be a card shop or at least a game shop that sells card games? Now, what are one of the things such do card shops do? Sell card games. Vanguard is the main and most popular game in Vanguard's world setting but it doesn't have to mean it's the only card game in existence. There's nothing wrong in selling other games that are not as popular within the story's context. Once more, there's no mocking going about. For all we know, someone in TMS (the animation studio for Vanguard) might have been a fan of Yu**** and slipped in that poster for some amusement. They could have also gotten Konami's permission to do it. No, just because they're technically business rivals doesn't mean they have to be anal about such tiny details that holds no hostility towards them. The poster itself didn't say "Buy Vanguard, not this trash!" and the only way it would give that impression would be from apprehensive zealous fans who want to think of it that way. That store can have Yu****, Po***** or even Ma*** the Ga******* posters for all it can care, as long as their respective owners don't mind.

In fact, having other card games referenced in the show can be viewed as something negative against Vanguard itself, as they're letting giving free advertising to their rivals.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 08:50   Link #120
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
In fact, having other card games referenced in the show can be viewed as something negative against Vanguard itself, as they're letting giving free advertising to their rivals.
I wouldn't call it negative to have other card game posters in it. It's expected to have at least Magic the Gathering in the store. Being Japan, YuGiOh and Pokemon are also prob mandatory.

And since YuGiOh creators are behind this, it really would be unusual for a lawsuit to result out of this.

Tags
card game, cardfight vanguard