AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-10-23, 17:05   Link #1
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Looking for romance anime/manga

UPDATED POST: to 12 FEBRUARY 13

I'm basically looking for any anime series or manga that contain romance;
- Animes: since i've finished most of the romances out there, any title that has little romance or even hints of romance is okay.
- Mangas: since there are still many titles out there, romance should be the main genre.

Subgenres: drama, comedy, school life, supernatural, psychological, sci-fi, fantasy, action, ecchi

This is a list of what i like and hate:

- I like to live the story in first person, so the protagonist must be male. I hate kid looking protagonists with a childish voice or crybabies. He also has to be above 14 years old or at least look like a boy/adult. My favorite protagonists are Kyon (from Haruhi Suzumiya), Houtarou (from Hyouka), Imamura(from Again!!), Okabe (from Steins;Gate), Light (from Death Note), Hei (from Darker than Black). A recurrent pattern is that they are either cold/apathetic/bored/cynical or just loners.

- Girls have to be cute/moe. I don't really like tomboysh girls; they are okay as long as they aren't more masculine than the male protagonist . Unattractive girls or simply bad artwork usually turns me off. Also, i prefer girls dependent on the protagonist.

- I don't mind harems, as long as the girls' routes are well managed and the protagonist isn't ridiculously indecisive or dense. There are harems like Nozoki Ana or Kimi no iru machi that stand as my favorite romances ever, but there are also annoying titles like shuffle and Ichigo 100% that just bore me on the long run.

- No depressing background (No hospitals, diseased characters or terminal patients). The most annoying thing is that i can't comprehend pity and, when showed these scenarios, i just get pissed. Avoid anything like that.

- I hate cat girls, or any other animal/human hybrid. I'm okay with demons/succubi like in Rosario + Vampire or To love Ru or Oretama. Basically, sexy demons are more than welcomed ;D

- I hate mecha and post apocalyptic animes. Don't even bother, really.

- I can't really stand homosexuality. Now, everyone is free of doing whatever they want and i do not care what they do, as long as it doesn't affect me in any way. This said, avoid yahoi (it simply disturbs me) and even yuri (the latter is just frustrating).

- I prefer titles that came after 2005. The priority is usually given to the newest titles but, if you think a certain title is simply deserving, suggest it anyways.

These are the animes and mangas i watched/read so far. I divided them in different categories, according to the genres:

ANIMES
Ecchi/Comedy/Romance
Spoiler for List 1:

Romance/comedy/drama/supernatural/action/sci-fi/psychological...
Spoiler for List 2:

Other genres
Spoiler for list 2.5:

Dropped
Fate/Zero 9.3 (I enjoed it a lot back then, but before the second season finished airing i had already lost interest. How sad)
Spoiler for List 3:

MANGAS
Ecchi/Comedy/Romance
Spoiler for list4:

Ecchi/Romance/Drama/Psychological/Supernatural
Spoiler for list5:

Dropped
Spoiler for list:

- Currently reading
Koibana Onsen - chap49 (Momentanly interrupted)
BTOOOM - chap48

- Currently watching

To read list
Spoiler for list7:

To watch list
Spoiler for list8:

Last edited by Classified Info; 2013-02-12 at 20:32. Reason: Updating
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 20:22   Link #2
Puddingman

Hey hey, I'm not sure about my recommendation cause I'm not well versed in this field, but I did stumble across an anime called MM!

It's about a masochistic guy who wants "be normal", and an aggressive girl is there to help him. There's a shy girl too, don't know much of what she does. Both girls beat the guy up occasionally. It does take place in a school setting. It seems very ecchi, I'm not sure if it has romance in it though. Maybe some evolving romance.

I saw some of the 1st episode, so I can't say for sure if this is what you're after but give it a try.

Also, there is a thread on this page entitled, "Best Ecchi Anime". Check that out too.

Last edited by Puddingman; 2011-10-23 at 20:34. Reason: more details
Puddingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 15:59   Link #3
Elegance

Isekai No Seikishi Monogatari-best harem out there and very ecchi
Highschool of the dead-very ecchi
Hidan No Aria-tsundre
Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 18:00   Link #4
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Aside from the slow start, Mashiro iro Symphony is mostly a romance anime in school settings with a nice atmosphere, but it also has little fan service scenes so far eventhough it's an eroge adaption.
But the anime only started 3 weeks ago, so it's not finished airing yet.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 01:55   Link #5
raitouazura
Fallen God

nogizaka haruka no himitsu 1st & 2nd season:it's started when the protagonist found out the secret of school idol who turn out she is an otaku.

R-15:it's about a boy, who attends a school for geniuses. he is a genius novelist and writes erotica. Despite negative perceptions many people have of him, he aims to be at the top of his class and be recognized as the world's greatest writer.

seitokai no ichizon:The student council members of Hekiyou Academy are selected by a popularity contest and a student with highest score in academic. As a result the members are usually a group of pretty girls. except for the protagonist, he is entered the student council by become number one student.

raitouazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 15:28   Link #6
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

added em all to my list, but i wanted to know a thing:

Love Hina: would it fit me?
Old 2011-10-26, 15:52   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Oh, a new thread. You’re welcome. Glad to help.

Love Hina description:
The anime is a harem (obviously). It’s more on the comedy and hilarious side like To Love Ru. The main-guy is so-so. The main-girl is a masochist tsundere who really like to punch the main-guy flying again and again and again (team rocket style from Pokemon). By today’s standard, you may find the girls not so attractive or not that interesting, but it’s more about taste. Overal, the story (which source is the manga) is good. Still, I can’t really say about the anime. Guess you have to see it yourself.

Note:
Just so you know, there’s a lot of Love Hina fans out there dissapointed by the anime (much like R+V) and they demand a reboot/remake.
Old 2011-10-26, 19:13   Link #8
Undertaker

Love Hina anime is actually pretty good, the main criticism was the same with the mangaka's other anime adaption Negima (the first adaption), the animation itself. Story-wise it was fine, it's the fact that the animation design doesn't nearly resembles the great art from the manga and the one character design that was the most off happens to be the most popular character in the manga,Motoko Aoyama(hence the fan rage ) , and the whole series has a bit of budget-lacking feel to it as far as production goes, despise the fact it was actually a high-profile series when it aired and had above average budget.

Story wise, it's the cliche that used countless time were a guy moved into an apartment (which acts as dorm) full of girl, it you like this series, you should also like Ai Yori Aoshi and Suzuka.

Be warned, Love Hina is from 2000, but if you are ok with the animation, then that opens up more anime, mainly 2000-2008 stuff for you, which Suzuka, Ai Yori Aoshi, and Onegai series are from.

For something more of echhi comedy, try Ichigo 100% and give Hatsukoi Limited a shot as well.

BTW what series are you working now, and what do you think of it?
Old 2011-10-28, 06:58   Link #9
Moonlith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Zero no Tsukaima: 9.4 (Harem/ecchi, average anime, but they confess each other and kiss more than once, so +1)
You might be happy to hear then a fourth season has finally been green-lit and is due Januar 2012
Moonlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 08:29   Link #10
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I just got back from university and i'll be at home from friday to the next tuesday (5 days)

@ Moonlith: That's an awesome new; i knew there was going to be a fourth season because the story was just left incomplete, but i didn't have any date. THank you for the information, i'll keep myself up to date from now on.

@ Undertaker: I watched the first 3 episodes of Love Hina, and i'm totally fine with the animation. Also i wanted to point out that it doesn't matter if it's university or school background: school/university life is one of the most lovely experience in life; even if for some they are bad times, they are still part of our life, a piece that doesn't get deleted, and usually they keep the feelings and emotions of that period.

Anyways, getting back to your question, i dropped Love Hina for the moment because i didn't hear any other opinion, and didn't want to waste my time on something that would have turned bad. It had good premises, but so was for school days aswell. After hearing you, i know i can pick it up again and continue watching it.

However, since i had some time left, i started watching the second series of Sekirei (Pure engagement), and since i noticed there were less fights, i'm enjoying it more. I think i will finish Sekirei PE and then switch to Love Hina (To be honest, Ichiban had priority over Love Hina, but since i already started watching the latter, i think i'll finish it)

As far as periods are concerned, 2000 - 2012 would be a good bracket where to put titles. Once again, what i don't like are animes with 80's hairstyles, or ancient things like Hokuto no Ken with very old graphic, or Ranma 1/2, with old hairstyles. I'm totally fine with Onegai animation, same goes for Love Hina; i also found out that Love Hina was animated in my country, so i don't even have to read subs (even tho, i have to admit, i discovered i preferred readings subs with the original voices, because i have the feeling that my language doesn't fit the anime at all, beside loosing some cool female voice (shared by many characters in the series i watched).

I read up the sheet in animeplanet about Suzuka, and from the Screenshots i can tell you by now that i will most likely love it. I would ask you if it ends well, but it would spoil me too much, so limit yourself to tell me:
Watch it, you cretin, stop questioning.
It's not for you.

As far as Ai Yori Aoshi is concerned, from the Synopsis it looks like the girl is the protagonist, and as i said before, i prefer the male pov. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Coming to Ichigo 100%, from the screenshots i get it's full of shitloads of ecchi, and that's awesome. On the other side, i would like to know if the harem is easy, meaning if the girls all want the boy, without showing any pride whatsoever, forcing him to stay with them (like shuffle).

In the end, Hatsukoi Limited looks very Girl's Pov oriented, both by synopsis and main characters list. Once again, correct me if i'm wrong.

Forgot to add, would Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu fit me? It has been suggested any times and From the screenshots it doesn't look at all military/mecha or share anything with FMP in general.

Anyways, i think i'll enjoy the first title you gave me a LOT. Let me know about the remaining ones and yes, i'm okay with animes like Love Hina (as far as age is concerned).

Thank you again for your suggestions, you are very helpful.
Old 2011-10-28, 08:51   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ichigo 100%:
Easy harem, yes, but not to the level of R+V, Shuffle, To Love Ru, etc. Still, to me, the main-guy is a loser. I feel so sorry for the girls. Anyway, watch it yourself, there's a chance that you may enjoy it.

FMP! Fumoffu?:
Yes, it is VERY different from the main series. No robot battles, no city destruction, no killing, no soldiers slicing each other's limbs, no blood. It's full of jokes and hilarious. I laugh my ass off watching it ^_^. Still, some of the joy that we got is due to the drastic change of tones from the main series. As you may know already, this is a side story. So, if you don't follow the main series, you'll be confused by some characters who's popping out of nowhere without any background information. Also, due to the nature of this show (side story), Fumoffu is basically a story without beginning and ending. Still, it's a fine piece of anime if you want to give it a try. I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 2011-10-28, 14:20   Link #12
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

WILL I FEEL SORRY FOR THE GIRLS? NOWAY I'M GONNA WATCH IT.

I have too much respect for people in general, i couldn't morally bear such things, especially when it's the girls. It surely won't be on the level of School Days, but as stated before, i'd like to sub in the male character, and that wouldn't just fit me. Also easy harem is a -1.

As far as FMP is concerned, i understand what you want to say by stating that "if you don't follow the main series, you'll be confused by some characters who's popping out of nowhere without any background information" so i will skip it.

Anyways, 6 more episodes of sekirei, and i'll continue with Love Hina; next to watch is again Ichiban lol, if it doesn't get delayed again. This is the updated list:

Sekirei Pure Engagement - Currently watching and enjoying it. Unnatural tits, but it's okay.
Love Hina - Confirmed that i would enjoy it, will continue it after i finish Sekirei.
Suzuka - Waiting for a response, and if it's like i think, this will come after Love Hina.
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou - I don't know how many times i delayed this hahaha, but i must watch it(there surely was a reason if it was next-to-watch)
Nogizaka haruka no himitsu - It somehow reminds me of Toradora setting/story, so i will watch this for fucking sure.
Akikan! - Seemed similar to sekirei from the SS/Synopsis, so i will give it definitely a try, but since the story is a bit "weird", this will come after eventual more serious titles.
Oh my Goddess - Good premises, will surely give it a try.
Kiss x Sis - If it's like Onegai Twins, i will most likely enjoy it. Otherwise it will just an ecchi anime.
Baka to test to shokanju - Due to its (probably) similarities to TGWOK, this will come for last.
MM - Heard it got Masochist male character, and tbh i don't have the fantasy of being whipped by a girl at all, or other weird fetish. Will give it a try nonetheless, if i haven't got anything else to watch.
Hidan no aira - found out it was already on my list, but in the bottom.
Mashiro [...] - Will watch when the first season ends.

Declined titles
Maburaho - Tried it out, easy harem for stupid reasons. Also guys chasing the male protagonist for retarded reasons.
isekai no seikishi monogatari - Mecha, Declined.
r-15 - Kid looking male :/
seitokai no ichizon - synopsis reminds me of Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi, that i didn't really like, so don't know
Highschool of the dead - I don't like the horror/zombie background, no matter how much tits/Pants you show me.
Isekai [...] - Mecha, declined.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-28 at 14:47.
Old 2011-10-28, 15:06   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Still, I really don't wanna disappoint those who suggest FMP Fumoffu? since it's a fine anime. My advice: give its first episode a shot. If you can keep up with it or even enjoy it, there's a high chance that you'll enjoy the rest of the show. Since this anime has definitive pair, cute girls, kick-ass main guy, a number of ecchi-ness and a really funny story ^_^.
Old 2011-10-28, 18:49   Link #14
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I don't like the characters of Love Hina (only the female lead is okay). Also, the male character is being stomped all the time and is scared by the girls in there. Dropped

Now watching Suzuka, and so far i enjoyed it. Short haired girls don't quite turn me on, but i can live with it, beside that it's evolving in a good way. If i don't get bored, i'll finish it, and then Ichiban's time will come, haha.

EDIT
I'm really enjoying Suzuka, since it's only focused on the love relations. I got bored during some episode concerning sports and other competitive things, since i find sport boring, in animes. Anyways, after those few episodes, the story evolved more, and the other girl finally became a co-protagonist (I can predict that the first girl will be the definitive one, but i'm happy that the other girl also took part in this anime, since i preferred her all the way).

Currently at episode 15, i'm a machine. No matter how it will end(unless it's some bloodfest lol), i'm happy that some things happened through the anime. My opinion is growing more towards this title. At the beginning i wasn't really liking it, because as i stated above, i don't like sports in animes, especially boring ones practised in school, but i like how it is going atm, so i will finish it anyways.

Thank you again for suggesting me such title, but i'll reserve the final thanks when i finish watching it.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-28 at 22:07.
Old 2011-10-29, 09:15   Link #15
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Sorry for the double post:

Finished watching Suzuka, and i liked it. I have to say that i had to endure it up to the last episode, because it was getting very frustating. If i were the boy, i'd have dropped her since ages, but the anime it's titled Suzuka for a reason.

I knew from half anime that even tho he liked honoka, he'd have ended up with Suzuka, but i was happy anyway of Honoka's arc. A problematic girl all the way, and the sport background didn't really entertain me, but if i watched up to the 26th episode it means it picked up my interest; most probably because it wasn't slow, and only focused on love relations.

Overall, i liked it. Thank you for suggesting it. I'd rate it 9.

Now Ichiban's time has come, this is the next to watch on my list. As far as FMP:F is concerned, i'm still of the idea that i would get disappointed in the end. My ideas are often firm, and hard to change, but if i get in the mood that even tho it will disappoint me in the end i won't care much, i will watch it

EDIT
Watched the first episode and i already LOVE it. Good natured guy, who got immense demoniac powers (not under his control atm). I was looking for a story like this since ages, but i just didn't know how to express it. Beside the loads of fanservice, it good awesome graphic, the guy totally fits my requirements, it's just a nice catch. I shouldn't have delayed this, or maybe it's a good thing i did, because now i can enjoy it more, after having watched animes in a pleasure ascending order (Not considering Onegai series that are topping my classific atm, ofc).

Thank you again for this title. I will finish it within today. I must do it.

EDIT2
Finished Ep8, and i gotta say that sometimes i have the feeling like some parts of the story were cut off. I have the same feeling of "This ugly yet beautiful world", but i like this way more. Also, it's not like all the girls want him for no reason. It's gaining some points on one side, loosing some in another side, but overall i'm enjoying it. Oh yes, it's a bit random sometimes (Like when Mr X pops out of nowhere, and the day switched to night within 3-4 frames, wtf lol? there are other weird things i didn't understand, like when the dragon is awaken for no reason, and noone bothers telling us what is all this story of the dragon, or whatever is going on)

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-29 at 12:37.
Old 2011-10-29, 13:28   Link #16
Trudinh

ya school day is an horrible anime! i agree with u
Trudinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 14:13   Link #17
Ryugamine

Only one's I can think of are

Ladies vs Butlers
Gosyusho Sama Ninomiya Kun
Kanokon
Amaenaideyo!!
Girls Bravo
Old 2011-10-29, 15:13   Link #18
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

If you read my first post, you would have avoided some title:

Ladies vs Butlers: already watched, it appears in my "watched animes" list
Kanokon: already watched(&dropped), didn't like because ---> see 3) reason
Girl's Bravo: already watched(&dropped), because ---> see kanokon
Amaenaideyo: once read up the synopsis in AP, and totally looks like the above titles
Goshuusho sama Ninomiya kun: watched the first episode, but the characters didn't appeal me much (probably due to those HUGE/WEIRDSHAPED eyes)

As far as the last two are concerned tho, i avoided them mainly by prejudice. They actually could turn out to fit some of my requirements, they just gave me a bad impression :/.

On the other side, I finished watching Ichiban ushiro no Daimaou!, and enjoyed it. Anyways, the whole story was hell confused, and i'm sure i missed 80% of the sense of this story setting:
Spoiler for Spoiler about whole story:

You can understand i'm a bit confused by all this .___. it turned out to be some weird thing like "This ugly yet beautiful world". I don't actually know what to say: i enjoyed it, but the whole story left me confused. I'll avoid rating this for the moment.

Next to watch is : Nogizaka haruka no himitsu. I'll start it now

EDIT:
Finished the first season of Nogizaka haruka, and really loved it. Tomorrow i'll watch the second season. Thank you, raitouazura, that was a nice catch.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2011-10-29 at 20:00.
Old 2011-10-29, 20:45   Link #19
Undertaker

Sorry, was away and didn't get home until now through a f@#king snow storm...

Anyway

Nogizaka haruka is a good one, If you enjoy that, try Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai or Oreimo in short. You should really enjoy that as well, although it wasn't as focused on romance as you might want to (though some people would disagree)....

Since you already watched Suzuka, I'm not going to comment on it.

Ai Yori Aoshi is actually more of a 3rd person PoV so you shoud be safe. As for HatsuKoi Limited, it's kind of like Amagami SS in that thw series is more a bunch of mini story collection. As result some PoV are from girls and some from guys. Try it with hit/miss mentality, though the art is great.

FMP! Fumoffu is totally your thing, but unfortunatly the series is a weird one. FMP has a total of 3 anime series adapted from Light Novels. However the novels splits between 2 different styles. The main story is heavy mecha/sci-fi stuff with inter mitten short-story volumes that is filled with school comedy. But instead of following the novel chronologically, the anime adaption clearly took out the School volumes in the first series while and took away all main story element in the second series before going back to main story again in the third series named "The Second Raid".

The did makes it that you don't unnecessary needs to watch 1st (or the 3rd) series to enjoy FMP! Fumoffu, but you are going to find yourselves with a few background questions.

Make sure you give Oh My Goddess, despite the mark on the face, I think you would enjoy the series as it is one of the longest running seinen love comedy and the anime adaption did a fairly good job with a slightly limited budget.

If you like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, make sure you also give Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? a shot. Yes, there are zombies and vampires in the show, but they are more of Rosario+Vampire type than High School of Dead.

Again both series are anime adaption of popular Light Novel, however as Ichiban isn't as well adapted as not as Kore wa Zombie, with too many detail left out of the adaption. Unfortunately, Ichiban is not nearly as big a hit as say Zero no Tsukaima, ToAru, and Shana, and adding the fact that anime was so-so in rating, it's unlikely Ichiban will get a second season it need to flush out more of its story.

And after all this, I think it probably save for me to say you should enjoy Baka Test. Because the character dynamic in that series is more similar to To Love than TGWOK. The part where Baka Test is similar to TGWOK is that both series features very heavy school scenes and has similar take on humor and are both well-constructed series.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-10-29 at 21:00.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 06:03   Link #20
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Snow storm... here during winter, the minimum T you get is 7°C lol.

Anyways, isn't Oreimo that anime where the boy finds out his sister is an otaku? Unless there is some huge incest, i can't see the romance. Anyways, i'm not so much in the otaku culture; i'm liking Nogizaka for the romance.

Ai Yori Aoshi: is it some sort of "easy harem" where all the girls want the boy for no good reason? Or there is a main indiscutible couple all the way?

Oh my goddess was already on the list, and despite the marks on the forehead, i was going to watch it anyway.

Kore was zombie desu ka: I read up the synopsis in AP, and i just hope that the boy doesn't have to wear girl's clothes all the way, otherwise i'd consider it demential and not enjoy it. Beside this, should be fine for the rest.

Will definitely try Baka and Test. I'll think i'll watch the first episode of every title, to get an idea.

Thank you again for suggesting, my list grows.