AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-07-13, 09:48   Link #121
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
And don't forget, the Japanese public usually favours cute over exceedingly manly
This is the main point imo. Japan in general (male and females of all ages) have a bit of an obsession with cuteness and youth. Therefore, for a character that has such a mainstream appeal as Goku, a childish voice fits just fine.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 09:49   Link #122
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Then how come Raditz, Nappa, Vegeta, and Broly (which came from the same race as Goku) have the luxury of “proper man-voices?” but not adult-Goku? They have the similar "weird" hair (maybe not, Nappa coz he's bald) and body-type and are all Saiyans.
Because neither of them is childish and likeable as Goku? It's not about race, it's about what the character should 'feel' like. These characters you mentioned all started like ruthless, violent villains. They had to be scary. The only concession in their design to less than that is Vegeta's short stature - and that was because of Toriyama's ever present design rule of making the bad guys big and strong, and the even worse guys small and apparently innocuous.

For comparison, Frieza had a rather suave voice. Again, however, that was part of his gimmick of not looking very intimidating at first but being eerie and hinting at a hidden danger.
__________________
----
What if Goku was super smart and had a thing for philosophy? Find out in The Optimised Wish Project!
----

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 09:56   Link #123
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Because neither of them is childish and likeable as Goku? It's not about race, it's about what the character should 'feel' like. These characters you mentioned all started like ruthless, violent villains. They had to be scary. The only concession in their design to less than that is Vegeta's short stature - and that was because of Toriyama's ever present design rule of making the bad guys big and strong, and the even worse guys small and apparently innocuous.

For comparison, Frieza had a rather suave voice. Again, however, that was part of his gimmick of not looking very intimidating at first but being eerie and hinting at a hidden danger.
Hah, your argument is crumbling down when Bardock, one of the most hardened, violent, and ruthless Saiyan warrior out there, also has the “cute” voice of Nozawa. Like my comment before, the actual reasons are meta and those are “no risk-taking” and “lazy (re)casting”.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:10   Link #124
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Thing is, if the Japanese audience like it (and they do), why would they change it?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:19   Link #125
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Thing is, if the Japanese audience like it (and they do), why would they change it?
Hey, I never said it was a bad business choice. I’m just regretting their decision (or lack of guts and creativity) to find a seiyuu that can still bring Goku’s inner-child-ness but still actually sounds like a man to replace Nozawa who had done excellent work as child-Goku. He/she doesn’t even have to sound macho or anything, just try to sound like a grown man (like Kenshin did) instead of an elderly-woman.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:24   Link #126
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
But when the story reached the point where Goku has become an adult, Toriyama just go with the flow with the studio’s decision to maintain Nozawa coz they were afraid that they might lose the audience if they recast Nozawa.
Since Nozawa is still extremely popular in Japan (she even does commercials during the 1 hour DBSuper and One Piece block) I would say this was a wise decision. Also, Nozawa can sound like a serious adult male when she wants. She's no Nappa, sure, but Goku's not supposed to be like that.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:28   Link #127
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hah, your argument is crumbling down when Bardock, one of the most hardened, violent, and ruthless Saiyan warrior out there, also has the “cute” voice of Nozawa. Like my comment before, the actual reasons are meta and those are “no risk-taking” and “lazy (re)casting”.
I thought that was to highlight Bardock's connection to Goku though?
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:34   Link #128
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
Since Nozawa is still extremely popular in Japan (she even does commercials during the 1 hour DBSuper and One Piece block) I would say this was a wise decision.
Like I said in my comment right above yours, I never said it was a bad business choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
Also, Nozawa can sound like a serious adult male when she wants.
And when is that? I watched the entirety of DBZ, yet her granny voice for adult-Goku remains the same for the entirety of the show. And if I may add, her voices for adult-Gohan and adult-Goten and Bardock is also the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
She's no Nappa, sure, but Goku's not supposed to be like that.
And Bardock is supposed to be all around just like Goku, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I thought that was to highlight Bardock's connection to Goku though?
Of course it is, and Toei gladly kept Nozawa for Bardock's role. Anyway, it's still go against Gan_HOPE's argument, which is the main point of that comment of mine.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:41   Link #129
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And when is that?
When Goku goes Super saiyan or gets angry in general. Also in those commercials I mentioned she plays adult males. It may not sound male enough for you, but for the intended Japanese audience it seems to be doing fine.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:41   Link #130
RDNexus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal
Age: 33
Have you checked other roles of hers? Like Dukemon, for example? Search outside the scope of DB...
__________________
For those potentially interested, I've translated Chapter 01 of my original LN-style story, LEGACY SCIONS, from portuguese to english.

You can download it here. Feedback is welcome. I hope you like it.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:50   Link #131
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Honestly, I'm more bothered by Trunks' voice than Goku's. He sounds so fucking weird. It's like hearing a clown talking.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:57   Link #132
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: East Boston, Massachusetts
Age: 31
In regards to Goku's voice, if they wanted Goku to have a more masculine voice, they should have done it during the tournament that Goku and Piccolo Jr. fought in. That was the perfect time to have his voice mature, if they wanted to. At this point, it really wouldn't make any sense to replace Goku's voice, which I'm sure is iconic to the Japanese fan base.

With all of that said, I do take issue with the concept that Goku should have this childish, girly voice to fit with his personality. On the one hand, of course there are badass guys out there with higher pitched or non traditional masculine voices, so I don't necessarily have any issue with Goku having the voice he does. I just don't think it's true that his voice is necessary to convey childishness. If anything, it would be a much more interesting, stereotype-breaking contrast for Goku to have a masculine and intimidating voice, while still being childish.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:57   Link #133
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hey, I never said it was a bad business choice. I’m just regretting their decision (or lack of guts and creativity) to find a seiyuu that can still bring Goku’s inner-child-ness but still actually sounds like a man to replace Nozawa who had done excellent work as child-Goku. He/she doesn’t even have to sound macho or anything, just try to sound like a grown man (like Kenshin did) instead of an elderly-woman.
You're stuck on this idea that Goku has to sound like a grown man. But the one to decide how his voice should sound like is the staff. I understand if you don't like it, but it doesn't mean it's a bad or uncreative choice. In fact, I would say it's pretty creative because it's something pretty unique.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 11:06   Link #134
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Funny, considering how I'd say dub Kaio is one of the worst things about the dub, and it's one of the few things about it that hasn't even slightly improved over time. (Super Hero Goku? All but gone now. Freeza? Was recast and is far better for it. The grossly inaccurate script in general? No longer an issue with Kai and the new movies. The replacement music? No longer an issue.)
...But yeah, he sounds really bad here. Not sure if Yanami was sick or if it's just age (the man's 83, for goodness' sake!) but his performance has been REALLY weak in this show so far. It's honestly to the point where I wonder if it would have been better if they just recast him.
No it wasn't his performance, it was the animation. Hearing Kaio talking only slightly louder while his mouth was freaking wide as a whale was disturbing.

The voice does NOT match him. While English Kaio's voice matches great with the character.


As for Goku's JP vs ENG voice I will always go for ENG for adult Goku. Don't give me that "He's a childish man" bull, when he's childish the English voice actor we all know does a very good job of portraying a grown man who is pretty childish when relaxed or silly.



Anyway, I thought the 2nd episode was pretty good. Could have done more torturing Vegeta and put in a little feels in there. He didn't blush at all when Bulma cuddled on him. But that might happen if the show follows the movie at all. I can't wait for some Krillian and 18 scenes.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 11:09   Link #135
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
When Goku goes Super saiyan or gets angry in general. Also in those commercials I mentioned she plays adult males. It may not sound male enough for you, but for the intended Japanese audience it seems to be doing fine.
And that’s why I don’t like it. So we’re clear now, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Have you checked other roles of hers? Like Dukemon, for example? Search outside the scope of DB...
But me and LuckyCat is talking in the context of DB. And yes, I am a Digimon fan and I know she voiced Dukemon, but I forgive her in that role since Dukemon is a monster, so he can have whatever voice, as long as the VA’s acting is good (which Nozawa is). In short, I never have problems with her roles in other shows aside from voicing a grown man which, for my ears, she just can’t pull off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Honestly, I'm more bothered by Trunks' voice than Goku's. He sounds so fucking weird. It's like hearing a clown talking.
Just one out of a number of questionable voices for the characters in this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
At this point, it really wouldn't make any sense to replace Goku's voice, which I'm sure is iconic to the Japanese fan base.
I'm wondering, what if this Super series (or maybe even the sequel series) continues after Nozawa's death? Or maybe she fell ill when the voicing isn't complete yet? (she's old after all). The sudden change of seiyuu will be even more awkward compared to when Battle of Gods or Super debuted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
With all of that said, I do take issue with the concept that Goku should have this childish, girly voice to fit with his personality. On the one hand, of course there are badass guys out there with higher pitched or non traditional masculine voices, so I don't necessarily have any issue with Goku having the voice he does. I just don't think it's true that his voice is necessary to convey childishness. If anything, it would be a much more interesting, stereotype-breaking contrast for Goku to have a masculine and intimidating voice, while still being childish.
Agreed on the bolded parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You're stuck on this idea that Goku has to sound like a grown man. But the one to decide how his voice should sound like is the staff. I understand if you don't like it, but it doesn't mean it's a bad or uncreative choice. In fact, I would say it's pretty creative because it's something pretty unique.
And the Japanese public (as well as Toei) are stuck on this idea tha Goku cannot be voiced by anyone else other than Nozawa. So we're even. And sticking with the same seiyuu and staying on their risk-free comfort zone as long as this because they're afraid to lose audience isn't what I call creative. It's just business. If you think the opposite is true then we might have to agree to disagree. Also, art and entertainment is out there to be judged, if some of the audience think it's bad, they're free to say that it's bad, just like me.
__________________

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2015-07-13 at 11:25.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 11:24   Link #136
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
I actually think Nozawa's voice does sound significantly weirder in Bardock's mouth than Goku's... but then again, I assume the logic there was just that it runs in the family.

Either way... it's part of the character design, really, and is pretty iconic by now. Free not to like it, especially if you've grown on some dub so that's the one you're used to (personally I always found the Italian dub to be pretty lackluster and have basically forgot that voice by now), but there's just no reason why they could have ever possibly considered recasting it. Nothing short of Nozawa-sensei either dying or being otherwise really incapacitated by health/age to do her work would prompt such a move at this point IMHO. It'd be just like giving Goku a different haircut - it would destroy part of the character altogether.

By the way if there's any voice I'd consider a good alternative at this point it's MasakoX's Abridged!Goku voice .
__________________
----
What if Goku was super smart and had a thing for philosophy? Find out in The Optimised Wish Project!
----

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 11:26   Link #137
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And that’s why I don’t like it. So we’re clear now, right?
Not really, but the Indonesia dub will come to you soon? In the meantime, you may have to endure what other audiences enjoy.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 11:38   Link #138
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
Not really, but the Indonesia dub will come to you soon? In the meantime, you may have to endure what other audiences enjoy.
Oh, I can easily and singlehandedly endure bad VAs if I’m interested with the story. How do you think I survived many bad Indonesian & English dubs since the 90s? Else, I wouldn’t be the anime-fan I am today.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 12:11   Link #139
Ryuga
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Honestly, I'm more bothered by Trunks' voice than Goku's. He sounds so fucking weird. It's like hearing a clown talking.
Lol, it's because they got Kusao (who's almost 50) trying to put on a prepubescent boy's voice. I admire the attempt, but it makes me wish for Future Trunks.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 12:27   Link #140
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
This new series is freakin hilarious, I'm surprised Vegeta hasn't killed himself yet with all this piece and family bonding. Guess that's how much he's changed, mean while Goku continues to be a crap like father / husband. Are Goku and Chichi even still married? They are acting like they got divorced. Chichi only wants money to take care of her family while Goku just wants to take off to train and doesn't say a single word good bye?
__________________
Fullmetal Alchemest - Ed fan. Inazuma Eleven - Endou fan.
Marchen Awakens Romance - Ginta fan. KS Dadesico - Akito fan. Gintama - Gintoki. Yugioh Arc V - Yuya fan. Boruto fan. Lupin fan.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, dragon ball z, shounen, super powers, tragedy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.