AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2020-10-08, 18:06   Link #81
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Last week I said I didn't really see the need for a remake, and so did they apparently, since this is a sequel!

Based on the visual released and the OP, Rika made it to high school age but was killed again and sent back to the very beginning? And Subaru thinks his life sucks, at least he's got save points

Keiichi is already starting to remember stuff, so maybe this won't end with him bashing Rena and Mion's heads in this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
So rather than a remake it's actually a sequel of sorts. Reminds me of the trick they pulled with the FF7 remake. I don't really know if this is something I should continue watching without knowledge of the original and may need to stop here to eventually watch it.
I strongly suggest you stop here. It's 100% a sequel, so you're just going to ruin the twits for yourself or just be plain confused if they don't explain everything.
Old 2020-10-08, 18:19   Link #82
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Well that's disappointing. This makes me think about OSP's discussion of sequels, especially one particular downfall: that often they end up crushing the happy ending. The original was a long and intense Groundhog Day struggling to figure out the truth and break free from seemingly certain doom, ultimately ending with a very satisfying happy end that everyone fought hard together to obtain, and now that future they claimed through so much effort, all that blood, sweat and tears, was for nothing!?
Actually it makes sense because there was one mystery left unsolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw20 View Post
I'm pretty sure that building at 1:17 looks EXTREMELY familiar.
Images
Comparing an image in the Higurashi anime OP to a background from Umineko
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spoiler for about that:

My theory is
Spoiler:
Old 2020-10-08, 18:31   Link #83
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

You know, the ending of the original anime's run now actually makes sense...

Spoiler for Spoilers:
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-08, 19:13   Link #84
jaw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
One thing I thought of. Umineko introduced witches, and one particular character here is one. Could it be that another, antagonistic individual is also a witch, and she found a way to force things back again? In which case I'm still unhappy that they turned the happy end over, especially since, again as Overly Sarcastic Productions noted, this raises doubts about whether we can trust that any new victory can actually lead to happiness since things can be so suddenly turned over, but it would honestly be kind of interesting to see this story when not only the protagonists but also the antagonists possess the ability to recall the other loops and use that to try and outmaneuver each other.
Spoiler for Spoilers for umineko:
jaw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-08, 21:17   Link #85
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
So rather than a remake it's actually a sequel of sorts. Reminds me of the trick they pulled with the FF7 remake. I don't really know if this is something I should continue watching without knowledge of the original and may need to stop here to eventually watch it.
If you have played Umineko (the game I hope) then you should have known some of Higurashi spoilers already (such as the Kakera world) and only missed the details.
In that case, I guess you should be fine with this version.

For example, this episode.
The scene in the Kakera world is the only thing new.
Everything else is faithfully to the source.
Old 2020-10-08, 23:41   Link #86
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Are we allowed to talk about Umineko spoilers here without spoiler tags?

At the very least it's not confirmed yet that the meta world above/beyond Rokkenjima also exists and is related over Hinamizawa.

In fact is Ryukishi07 even involved with this iteration?
Old 2020-10-08, 23:49   Link #87
Kakkou
Tch.

This went from unnecessary remake to unnecessary sequel real quick.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 04:45   Link #88
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

My controversial initial reaction on the ... uh, "twist" I guess:

If Ryukishi07 wanted to do a sequel/what if route with highschooler Rika getting involved with a Witches' Game from a character from Umineko, he could have just tried to get Harem Royal/When the Game Ends adapted instead of doing this bait and switch.

Thinking about it more, I so hope that there was a genuinely good idea behind wanting to do this other than keeping the IP in the mainstream consciousness and this was the best way to do it. I won't lie, I am interested in where this is all going, but also dreading it somewhat in the case it all goes sideways. Animated extra content for Higurashi had not been that great in terms of output outside of the Last Period collab (in terms of what I enjoy personally), but I will keep an open mind about it.
Old 2020-10-09, 06:44   Link #89
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well the only thing we can probably be sure of is that the shards that Rika will end up in from now on will likely be majorly different in terms of the background events and the true perpetrators behind the massacre. It'd be too easy and too boring if this followed the same perps and events because Rika knows all of it already.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Also since Keiichi seems to be in a similar situation as his previous iteration in the shard where they managed to break through June 1983, that he is starting to see memories of previous shards where they failed. The rest of the cast is probably seeing it as well, and this might be the reason why Reina is having those blank stare moments. Since this part is probably similar to the Onikakushi-hen, it seems to be told from Keiichi's POV, so I expect the rest of the arcs to show the other characters dealing with having memories of other shards.

The big question now is what Rika will do when she realizes that her knowledge of everything that happened in the original Higurashi likely no longer applies.
Old 2020-10-09, 07:54   Link #90
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Like others, I also suggest to stop here and watch the original DEEN anime. They're good. This episode is like episode 6 of SSSS.Gridman. It's the "surprise sequel!"-reveal episode. But unlike SSSS.Gridman, this is even less newcomer-friendly.
Old 2020-10-09, 09:27   Link #91
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Are we allowed to talk about Umineko spoilers here without spoiler tags?
Let's try to keep those out of this thread and use this one instead: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou - Anime Spoilers & Speculation.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 11:05   Link #92
grecefar

Well I barely remember about the original anime, but seems that I need umineko knowledge?, never read or saw anything of umineko.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 11:24   Link #93
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I strongly suggest you stop here. It's 100% a sequel, so you're just going to ruin the twits for yourself or just be plain confused if they don't explain everything.
Yeah, I figure that's for the best. I'll stop here and probably watch after binging the orginal anime.
Old 2020-10-10, 13:56   Link #94
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Yeah, I figure that's for the best. I'll stop here and probably watch after binging the orginal anime.
I think you can safely skip Kira and Kaku since I believe those are side stories. Original followed by Kai and then Rei should get you up to speed.
Old 2020-10-10, 14:25   Link #95
Dark Wing

Okay Higurashi at first you had my curiosity but now you have my attention.

As someone who enjoyed the orginal anime and game I figured this would be a straight up remake but no we get a surprise sequel. This has definitely moved up in my lists of fall favorites.
Old 2020-10-10, 14:45   Link #96
Homura7

Wonder if this setup will eventually lead to...

Spoiler for spoiler:
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 15:23   Link #97
AC-Phoenix
Detective

So... When will Beatrice appear to annoy the heck out of Bernkastel and Keichi?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 15:53   Link #98
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
So... When will Beatrice appear to annoy the heck out of Bernkastel and Keichi?
Don't you mean...

Spoiler for spoiler:

Beatrice is unlikely to show up in this story.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 20:11   Link #99
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

That and who would even be the metaworld Battler proxy? Keiichi?
Old 2020-10-11, 02:08   Link #100
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
Don't you mean...

Spoiler for spoiler:

Beatrice is unlikely to show up in this story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
That and who would even be the metaworld Battler proxy? Keiichi?
Spoiler for Reason why they should appear.:

The character you put under spoilers is a given anyway.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2020-10-11 at 02:26.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote