AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-04-03, 00:12   Link #141
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
At least the ADV release is legitimately licensed.
At LEAST? C'mon, I like to think we did better than that ;p
AvatarADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 04:27   Link #142
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
At LEAST? C'mon, I like to think we did better than that ;p
It does have those oh so insightful audio commentaries. It is a nice package for an otherwise bizarre show.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 09:16   Link #143
lgmcben

Kodomo no Omocha & HK DVD ?

I'm planning to buy this title. I know HK DVDs have a very bad sub-title. But I also heard that 'some' of them have a good quality subtitle.

Question : Anyone have seen Kodomo no Omocha on HK DVDs? How good is the sub title?

Thank you ^_^
lgmcben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 09:59   Link #144
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Normally I wouldn't dignify a post like this with a response, even now you wont get much of one...

There is no such thing as a HK-DVDs with good subtitles. HK-DVDs come with either bad subtitles or stolen subtitles. If your considering buying the Kodomo no Omocha HK-DVDs, then I suggest you find something better to waste your money on.

Last edited by Mr_Paper; 2004-04-23 at 11:20.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 10:27   Link #145
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Do you really think that on a forum that doesn't allow links to licensed anime
we are going to help you pick which BOOTLEG release is better than other?

The ONLY DVD release you should look out for is by Funimation next year.
(or the original R2 Japanese DVDs, which don't have any subtitles at all)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 11:33   Link #146
Riese
Brutal Killer Math Logic

Send a message via ICQ to Riese
Look into preordering the Funimation DVDs, most places give an extra discount for preorders.

Don't waste your time or money on bootlegs.
Riese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 02:40   Link #147
Aurora
Just visiting...

Send a message via AIM to Aurora
I borrowed the HK bootleg from a friend in our anime club, and they were terrible. So bad in fact that I stopped watching around episode 40. The only episodes I understood were the eps I had seen in fansub or those that coincided with the manga.

Having said that I have only seen two other HK bootlegs, Kare Kano and FLCL. They were also borrowed and horrible. There is a reason why bootlegs are so inexpensive, and you get what you pay for. If the three titles I have seen are any representation, people who buy bootlegs must not be true anime fans. The translations are so bad and the timing is so far off it is impossible to know what is truely going on in the story.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 18:38   Link #148
helsing

Naruto

Who out there knows where I could buy alot of Naruto Movies?

Please let me know.
helsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 19:05   Link #149
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Sorry, but there aren't any Naruto Movies yet, although one is currently being made. Read The Official Naruto Movie Thread for more information. If you want to know where to purchase anything else cheap I would suggest that you read The "Where do I buy..." Thread.

PS. Strange question, but at least you only posted it in one place.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 19:06   Link #150
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by helsing
Who out there knows where I could buy alot of Naruto Movies?
There are only R2 DVDs available for the TV series (there are no movies as such). None of these have English subtitles, just Japanese audio.

If this is what you mean, then you can purchase them at cdjapan, just search for Naruto.

There are plenty of illegal bootlegs available but the general consensus is not to waste your money on these pirate copies, just download the fansubs while you can and wait for the official release with English subtitles to come out (but when is another matter since the series isn't even licensed yet). It's easy to tell the bootleg DVDs, since they typically will be
Region 0
Chinese and English subtitles
6+ episodes per disc

As mentioned, don't bother with the bootlegs since the translations are generally terrible and the video quality isn't that great.

Last edited by xris; 2004-06-15 at 19:07. Reason: Darn, NoSanninWa beat me to the reply
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 08:59   Link #151
Riku540

Question Which Naruto Import DVD Release Should I Buy?

This is the first anime series I’ve ever LOVED enough to invest in, so I want to collect the entire series on DVD eventually. I was looking around online for the DVDs, and noticed that there are several different releases of the same episodes by different companies or providers. I was wondering if there is a difference in these releases, and if any of them are better than the other, and if so which one I should buy? Thanks!
Riku540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 09:14   Link #152
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
There is only ONE legit Naruto DVD release, and that is the Japanese R2 dvd release that has NO subtitles. See here:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html...VD&word=Naruto

There are NO legit subtitled releases.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 09:17   Link #153
Suikun

It sounds like you're looking at bootlegs. In Japan, just as in the US, typically only one company gains distribution rights to a certain anime's DVDs, so this problem doesn't exist.

Do the DVDs also have English subtitles?
Because a vast majority of all Japanese DVDs (including Naruto) don't have subtitles, yet nearly every "import" bootleg does.

If these are bootlegs that you're looking at, I'd have no idea which one is best since I've never bought any myself (maybe someone else here as experience with it) but the general opinion on bootlegs is that they are generally of such crap quality that it just isn't worth the money, and that fact that you're basically paying some cheap Hong Kong firm to steal other people's work and make profits off it isn't exactly a great thing.

If you'd like to collect Naruto on DVD, I'd recommend just waiting until it's licensed in the US (anytime now, FUNimation!) and buying the official DVDs. Worst case scenario, even if a company like 4Kids gets Naruto, I'd bet no anime distributor would be stupid enough to not release a show like this in "uncut, Japanese with subtitles" form, so I wouldn't worry about that.

EDIT:
Looks like Microlith beat me to the punch.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 19:16   Link #154
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
If these are bootlegs that you're looking at, I'd have no idea which one is best since I've never bought any myself (maybe someone else here as experience with it) but the general opinion on bootlegs is that they are generally of such crap quality that it just isn't worth the money, and that fact that you're basically paying some cheap Hong Kong firm to steal other people's work and make profits off it isn't exactly a great thing.
Bootlegs have terrible quality, can't imagine anyone who'd buy them over a legit release despite the price difference. I think I've bought two-three and hated everyone of them. A slayers set with bad audio in several episodes (audio off sync w/ video), one of jin-roh w/ terrible audio quality, and I once bought a lodoss war tv set thinking it was the real one only to find it a bootleg and missing the english subtitles. Bootlegs: you get what you pay for, so unless you want cheap crap don't buy it.

Besides, wait for the Naruto dub, it might turn out alright and if it does wouldn't you want both the dub and the original?
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 22:41   Link #155
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

if it's region free with english and chinese subtitles, avoid it like the plague, those are bootlegs
if you want legit, buy the japanese releases
if you want subs, download the fansubs
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 23:17   Link #156
ShinDragon

There are other Legit NARUTO DVDs, other than the R2 Japanese.

But it's R3, with Chinese Subtitle only. (The company name is e-Kids)
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 02:21   Link #157
Fronzel
Schmuck

Isn't China Region 6?

It is!

Oh, wait, but Malaysia, right?
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 03:03   Link #158
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Isn't China Region 6?

It is!

Oh, wait, but Malaysia, right?
Taiwan most likely as well--I remember seeing a picture someone posted of his Tottoro DVD from Taiwan, where the written language and, last time I checked, official language is Chinese. It was published by Disney's Taiwan division and region-coded. I'm pretty sure I saw the region label say R-3...
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 18:05   Link #159
Carrot Glace

Well I know im probably going to be hated for being a regular customer for hk rips but the av (animemation video) quality of naruto is very good its an r2 rip so the video is awesome and the subs are desent id give the subbs 8.7 ouit of 10
now the mi version (manga international) i have not seen but I dont think they would be a wise investment because its most likely a tv rip but you never know it could be desent, And resently fx started making naruto and fx is the best out there because they always rip r1 and r2 so their video and subs are usually flawlesss and ofcoarse their sound would be excellent aswell.
Carrot Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 19:12   Link #160
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Bootlegs are shit, if only for the simple reason that they do not in any way compensate the creators and aim to make money on their venture.

Carrot Glace, please refrain from even hinting at suggesting that buying a bootleg would be good. They're the result of greedy assholes who rip off everyone involved in the production for the sake of making a quick buck at their expense.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote