AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-11-03, 03:36   Link #81
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
For something so resilient to the conditions of space, to the point where they can just shape shift and fly around with ease AND live in a gas giant (which is freaking everywhere). You must wonder why they even bother looking for a habitable planet.
Because even the ELS can't survive the temperatures of a sun.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 03:38   Link #82
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
For something so resilient to the conditions of space, to the point where they can just shape shift and fly around with ease AND live in a gas giant (which is freaking everywhere). You must wonder why they even bother looking for a habitable planet.
Yeah. The entire irony of the movie itself.

Perhaps they can only survive in space for a limited amount of time. But still...

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Nos.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 03:45   Link #83
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

IIRC, weren't the ELS explorers according to the official interviews? Maybe they're not so much needing a place to live as they are trying to just get to know us better.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 03:48   Link #84
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
IIRC, weren't the ELS explorers according to the official interviews? Maybe they're not so much needing a place to live as they are trying to just get to know us better.
Their way of "getting to know us better" ends up with people dead.
Old 2010-11-03, 03:57   Link #85
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

ELS: We were just trying to get to know your people more personally.

Setsuna: Your methods weren't personal, they were invasive.

And yeah, I remember talk about how the ELS weren't searching for a new homeworld; they'd already found one.
Old 2010-11-03, 04:12   Link #86
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Because even the ELS can't survive the temperatures of a sun.
I'm confused, did I mention sun? I said gas giant, and those are everywhere. We know they can live in gas giants. Because that's where they were born and they were chilling in Jupiter too. In fact the way they travel, they can probably just live in deep space without anything.

Unless you mean the radiation of the sun? Which I think they're pretty fine with since they traveled long distances with nothing but themselves across deep space.

But yes like what RisingDragon said, I don't really think the ELS were looking for a home planet. They really do just want to say "hi, my name is ELS, what's yours? OH NO SHIT STORM!"
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 04:37   Link #87
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
I'm confused, did I mention sun? I said gas giant, and those are everywhere. We know they can live in gas giants. Because that's where they were born and they were chilling in Jupiter too. In fact the way they travel, they can probably just live in deep space without anything.

Unless you mean the radiation of the sun? Which I think they're pretty fine with since they traveled long distances with nothing but themselves across deep space.

But yes like what RisingDragon said, I don't really think the ELS were looking for a home planet. They really do just want to say "hi, my name is ELS, what's yours? OH NO SHIT STORM!"
You had asked why they bothered looking for a habitable planet, and I responded with that. They went looking because their parent star was about to eat their home world.
Old 2010-11-03, 05:06   Link #88
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Their way of "getting to know us better" ends up with people dead.
That's exactly the beauty of it. Their method of properly getting intimate with humans is to literally consume them, which would be the norm for ELS, but not for humans. Cultural difference at its finest.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 05:14   Link #89
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
You had asked why they bothered looking for a habitable planet, and I responded with that. They went looking because their parent star was about to eat their home world.
Yes but what I meant was (I might've been a bit to vague), gas giants are so common that they really didn't have to go out of there way to go all the way to Jupiter for it. So their reason for being close to Earth most probably isn't because of finding a new home. And the fact that they can travel in deep space for so long already means they can live in space for a very very very long time.
Old 2010-11-03, 05:32   Link #90
wencong1356

The ELS we see in the movie were the explorers. ELS had successfully found a habitable planet, as shown in the dialogues IIRC
wencong1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 18:03   Link #91
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Yes but what I meant was (I might've been a bit to vague), gas giants are so common that they really didn't have to go out of there way to go all the way to Jupiter for it. So their reason for being close to Earth most probably isn't because of finding a new home. And the fact that they can travel in deep space for so long already means they can live in space for a very very very long time.
Gas giants are made up of different gases. It could be that the ELS need a specific one to live in.
Old 2010-11-03, 18:16   Link #92
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Seeing how they can traverse through space without any difficulties, they likely don't need a certain kind of gas giant for a homeworld, but different types of gas giants might affect future development of their species.
Old 2010-11-04, 11:50   Link #93
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I'm still trying to figure out whether their solar energy system is related to all this since they have one just like the human's version on Earth ontheir planet.

Anyways, Im reposting an earlier interview with the designers for referencing purposes in this topic. Translation credit goes to Murra:

Quote:
What is the true form of the ELS? When you first heard about the alien ELS what kind of a lifeform did you imagine?

Chiba says that the scenario was already decided before they started drawing the pictures, so it was already decided it would be "a metallic lifeform that combines with things and tranforms". Teraoka goes on to say that their true shape does not appear in the movie, that they became that shape in order to travel through space, that they change their shape to suit their environment and goals. However he goes on to say that in another way everything is their true shape. Chiba says that Teraoka made several different designs which all ended up being used. Teraoka adds, they made several designs with the intention of picking only one but they decided to use them all.

Please tell us why the ELS came to earth.

Teraoka explains that the ELS evolved in the liquid metal core of a gas giant, they could see the sky or rather space through the clouds, to them that light was a form of energy. Seeing the sky in that moment was perhaps mysterious to them. They form a large eye like ball above the clouds, but to the ELS this was a leap in progress. The point being they were curious. The idea that there were other planets than their own was born, and they being to make orbital elevators and low orbit rings. Chiba adds that when they saw the swelling of their star they felt there were in danger and so their sent their extensions off. Teraoka says that it's unknown whether this was years or hundreds of millions of years ago but inside of the story, their start became a white dwarf. The energy sharply decreased and so their planet became holder. Because of this their began to search for warmer places.
underlined: I believe this is a typo by the translator and that he meant "colder" judging from the next sentence. The other underlined word I underlined likely was also a typo meant to be "star", judging from the white dwarf mention.

I just copy-pasted what he posted because I did not want to disturb with the original translated text, however most should agree with me about these typos.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2010-11-26 at 02:54.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 13:29   Link #94
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ So they actually DID come to Earth searching for a home...-_- well they should've looked harder.
Old 2010-11-04, 15:15   Link #95
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
So, the whole point of the series was making a real innovator who can talk with them and help them eat up humanity faster?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 15:19   Link #96
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
So, the whole point of the series was making a real innovator who can talk with them and help them eat up humanity faster?
Yup that was the single one and only point it had to make.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 15:23   Link #97
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Seriously??? Aeolia's plan was that?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 15:28   Link #98
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Oh yeah for sure.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 15:33   Link #99
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

*facepalms*
Old 2010-11-04, 16:01   Link #100
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Quote:
Um no, they wanted to make an Innovator as to prevent them from eating us in the first place..............which ultimately did happen. Otherwise, they'd be stuck with the notion that eating us is a good thing to do.

Anyways, Aeolia's plan seems to prepare humanity for the dialogues to come which is with an alien race at some point but as far as we know Aeolia did not have a specific alien civilisation in mind, just any one. This is because once humans move to space, they need to ensure they communicate with potential civilisations well (which at that point, humanity would have already been cool among themselves generally speaking), otherwise it would lead to prolonged intergalactic warfare. Hell, even with the ELS Conflict we have two civilisations with good intentions make a bad mess of the situation and it happened in just a short time.

Tiera thought that the dialogues would be uncounted approximately a few decades from now, however the encounter with the ELS coincidently just happened a lot faster than was expected which was why he woke up earlier.