AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-26, 15:54   Link #481
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

How about a normal name? Whats with people and this fication of messed up and childish names? lol
Old 2012-08-26, 16:22   Link #482
Irkalla
I asked for this

So if I name my character after a Sumerian goddess, I'll be banned? Wat? Or does that only apply to newer religion?

trololol
Old 2012-08-26, 17:14   Link #483
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

So what do people think of the game so far?
Old 2012-08-26, 17:52   Link #484
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Anyways, I got banned for the name Horny Diarrhea.
Their naming policy and their handling of it may be questionable, but you were literally begging for a ban the moment you created that name. Twice - once for the first name and once for the surname! If I were you I'd be glad to only get banned once for that effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
So what do people think of the game so far?
It's pretty. The event system is also nice even though I'm already seeing repetitions. But to be honest I'm already starting to get bored a bit - and I'm only level 28. The combat system is better than WoW-type games but doesn't really inspire me.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:17   Link #485
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Their naming policy and their handling of it may be questionable, but you were literally begging for a ban the moment you created that name. Twice - once for the first name and once for the surname! If I were you I'd be glad to only get banned once for that effort
What do you mean banned once? How do you get banned twice for the same offense.

I'm not talking about my situation. I know perfectly why I broke the rules. I'm raising the topic that they are being over restrictive on all the other names that are not where near offensive and how they're dealing with people breaking this rule. If there was truly a problem with the character name, why not lock that character? Why lock my entire account? Other gaming companies solve name problems by warning the player about their name and demanding them to change it within a few days or the name be changed to a randomly generated one.

My other username was Louis Razorstorm, Jay Razorstorm. Were those also breaking the rules? No, but they banned my entire account. Other players were banned for using real names because they referenced something that isn't even offensive or intentional. Like one guy found out his real birth name was an unofficial derogatory slang in some language he doesn't speak which he used in his character name and got banned. All of these people were banned without specifying what caused this ban. We were also not told about the duration of the ban. What's the point of the ban if people don't even know what they did wrong? Most of them will do the same thing again once they are un-banned if they don't know what the problem was in the first place.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:21   Link #486
lightbringer
M9000

Sarcasm over the internet never does get across. And I even put a wink smiley after it, too.
Old 2012-08-26, 20:21   Link #487
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Then maybe you people should be ORIGINAL with your names.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting this game, but I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough. How difficult is this game, both in PvE and PvP?

And what's the best starting class for someone completely new to the Guild Wars series? Melee/ranged/magic doesn't concern me, as I like them all. The only other (major) MMORPGs I've played have been a week of WoW and several months of SWTOR. I don't think Atlantica Online counts as an MMORPG in the same sense as the others.
Old 2012-08-26, 20:52   Link #488
lightbringer
M9000

I've not been banned yet so my names seem OK The problem this time though is that names have to be unique worldwide, not only unique per server. Plus some names were reserved for GW1 players. In fact, merely minutes after launch, all of my names were already taken (and those were not run-of-the-mill names, they were rather specific ones). So I had to make up new ones. Oh well.

I've tried a few of the classes but from what I've seen the warrior is among the easiest to play as they have the fewest buttons. Maybe even too few. Mesmer is a completely new class that's not based on anything I can think of (illusionist wizards from DnD maybe, if it weren't for that greatsword), so if you want something new it might be worth a shot.

The game has not been particularly challenging in PvE so far, but, unlike WoW/TOR, most mobs have action-game-like "telegraphed" attacks and there's also a dodge mechanic. And dodging often makes the difference between a walk in the part and a quick death - if you are careful and good at dodging you can defeat monsters at least 5-6 levels above your own. Oh, and you can dodge projectiles, too, which somehow makes it twice as awesome. Also, you don't have to target an enemy to make a hit, although auto-attack won't work unless you have a target.

In PvP I've only tried World vs World vs World and so far with random people it's been mostly a zerg-fest, although people are now learning to use siege engines. You better have a good PC for this though since the fights are with 30+ people on each side. Gate bashing is about as fun as POS bashing in EVE Online, albeit faster. There are castle upgrades, cannons, catapults, trebuchets, boiling oil, etc, so at least there's some variety in sieges. If you want to PvP with more success and more organization you're better off with some PvP guild than going at it solo though, otherwise YMMV. But this is true of any MMO.
Old 2012-08-26, 22:23   Link #489
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Then maybe you people should be ORIGINAL with your names.
Well they still don't leave much freedom do they, being original you'd start seeing names like Climbing the Tree or Hiding in the Cupboard. Names I wouldn't have problems with but I can understand others can.

Their naming policy is rather daft really, I know they clamped down on bad names in first game but they still gave alot of freedom with them.
I guess you can call it a change in times, freedom is in short supply now.
Old 2012-08-27, 01:20   Link #490
sora1607

Do we have a guild here for us all to play together? Anybody planning on making one? Since we can join multiple guilds across server I don't see why we shouldn't have one
sora1607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 02:24   Link #491
Westlo
Lets be reality

Considering that names are game wide instead of server wide it's pretty hard to actually come up with something, such a dumb move.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 02:43   Link #492
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I'm surprised that the names are restricted cross servers (and that you are limited to one server to create characters on). Whats the point behind that? Is there some forum or social link-in like Facebook or something? There would have to be some technical reason behind it, maybe cross server instances or something.

Enforcing the naming policy I can't say I'm surprised by. Although they seem to be going a 'tinsey winsey bit' (massive sarcasm quotes) heavy handed at it. But by getting on top of it early they should avoid retarded names like xxLegolassxx, Pwninator or some l33t 5p34k abomination, and have something that fits the world/game setting.

Banning names based on ancient religions really depends on how 'main stream' said ancient religion is, like running around calling yourself Thor would be kinda begging for it, but calling yourself Inanna might not get as much attention.

I'd rather see a company enforce a policy than let it fester, and break immersion. Doing what they are doing, makes people get in the habit of naming properly. (Even if their methods are unusually heavy handed.)
Old 2012-08-27, 03:04   Link #493
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'd rather see a company enforce a policy than let it fester, and break immersion. Doing what they are doing, makes people get in the habit of naming properly. (Even if their methods are unusually heavy handed.)
I can understand the whole naming thing can be annoying for some, I do also wish people wouldn't use the "xX<insert name>Xx" thing and what not but really?
I do not wish to be told how to name my avatars, it's roleplaying, should be able to name them whatever you want(within reason of course).
I think there are alot of other important stuff to police instead of names.
Old 2012-08-27, 03:54   Link #494
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'm surprised that the names are restricted cross servers (and that you are limited to one server to create characters on). Whats the point behind that? Is there some forum or social link-in like Facebook or something? There would have to be some technical reason behind it, maybe cross server instances or something.
There is. Cross-server chat and the upcomming guest feature. Since their method of character transfers means you transfer your entire arsenal of characters, that might play a factor too (imagine transfering servers and being forced to rename all your characters).
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 05:25   Link #495
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
If there was truly a problem with the character name, why not lock that character? Why lock my entire account?
What's not to understand about that? It's not the character who made a rule breaking name, it's the player. So you ban the player which logically includes all characters he made.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 13:46   Link #496
Xion Valkyrie

I didn't get to make my character until Sunday but Esclair was still available =D

With first + last name combination it shouldn't be hard to come up with any number of creative and unique names for your characters.

Anyways, what do I do what all the crafting material I salvage? Is there a inventory/bank in town or should I just npc all of them.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 15:13   Link #497
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

You can send it directly to the bank from your inventory and by god don't npc them.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 16:17   Link #498
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I am having a blast with the game. I got to fight the Shadow Demon on the swamp today and I was great. The game feels really alive. The graphics are amazing. It really looks like people made this game with great care and put their hearts into it.

There is great detail in every single thing I see in the game; nothing in it feels random, from little critters to the zones, to the fighting system and story-line. I haven't touched the PVP yet and I don't plan to until I hit level 80, but I am sure it is a blast as well.

This game is almost perfect, I still need to see more of it but what I have seen is remarkable. This is currently the best MMO in the market and it gave me the feeling I had when i played world of Warcraft back in 2005.

Remember, many the people of Arena net are ex-blizzard employees, they helped Blizzard get to where it is now, they even helped with the development of WoW. Blizzard is no longer the amazing gaming company it once was before their departure. All they have been doing for the past 7 years is profiting from their past successes and seem to lack the creative talent that the people of Arena net took with them.

I hope that their project Titan proves me wrong, but I can't picture them coming out with innovative game play since the team split up.
Old 2012-08-27, 17:56   Link #499
Xion Valkyrie

So uh, post your characters? =D

I'll post mine up when I get home.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 18:24   Link #500
fernley1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
hmm...i finally decided to get Guild Wars 2. just bought the game and is installing the client
right now. i used to play 1 and i like it. 2 is looking pretty nice as well.

looking forward to this game on the 25th now. yay!
if i really like this game, i'll probably buy another copy for my little bro. so that we
can start playing together some. i'm gonna start a ranger first just like my other
character in Guild War 1.
GW2 has no meat and bones to it. Give it a month or 2 and the majority will be headed to other games. It is only the flavor of the month.
fernley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote