AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-22, 00:01   Link #1
demoneclipse
Ride on Shooting Star

Send a message via AIM to demoneclipse
Hot Gimmick

how many other people are confused as hell by it? Oh well, Ryoki is .... fun. I just read the second one today and now I'm all hyper-ey. Does anyone else know when #3 comes out?
Old 2004-02-23, 00:01   Link #2
megacoolspot

personally, i think its quite ridiculous for hatsumi to let ryoki blackmail and take advantage of her like that. but i guess i still not sure how the story going to flow? who is the main male character in this story anyway, Ryoki? or Azusa I'm pretty confuse too ?-/

as for the release date for vol 3, i think it is mar 11.
Old 2004-02-23, 00:11   Link #3
RyuHayabusa

Send a message via AIM to RyuHayabusa
I was hooked by the story as soon as I finished volume#1 and then when Volume 2 comes out, I got that as well and I can't wait for more. This is really good stuff. It's a really good dark side of shoujo that I haven't seen in a while(well, since X-Day really) and I like the whole relationships between the characters are jumbled and how Hastumi is being played by her "best" friend and "savior" and that Ryoki is actually starting to like her. I hated Ryoki at first cause he came off as a jerk and now, by the 2nd volume, i kinda do feel sorry for him. I can't wait for volume# 3 to come out, cause it's a really good story and potential for an anime ot live action TV drama series. ^_^
Old 2004-04-13, 21:30   Link #4
junko
model bliss

I'm kind of confused, too. I mean, Hatsumi is a slave, Ryoki has feelings for her, Azusa's up to no good. What's left? The usual shoujo plot twists have already been revealed. But, then again, I've heard only good things about Aihara Miki, so mabye this woun't be the usual shoujo story.
Old 2004-04-16, 08:38   Link #5
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

Hey, I saw some cover art for Hot Gimmick and it really grabbed me. Sounds like this would be a good manga to invest in,too..(a dark shoujo plot? I'm there!) Anybody know how many volumes it's planned for? Or if it's still running in Japan?
Old 2004-04-17, 02:15   Link #6
junko
model bliss

Yeah, it's still running. And the last time I checked, there were eight volumes out. Four are here right now, the fifth goes on sale in July. It is a good story, but, then again, I've only read two volumes. I just hope the rest are as good.

Quote:
I'm kind of confused, too. I mean, Hatsumi is a slave, Ryoki has feelings for her, Azusa's up to no good. What's left? The usual shoujo plot twists have already been revealed. But, then again, I've heard only good things about Aihara Miki, so mabye this woun't be the usual shoujo story.
Gah! I spoileridized! So sorry, love. Forgive me! Forgive me!

(I'm stupid.)
Old 2004-04-17, 08:15   Link #7
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

8 volumes....that's not too bad. I just hope it doesn't turn into one of those shoujo manga whose volume count is 20+. Thanks for the info, Junko.
Old 2004-04-18, 00:10   Link #8
yukari_kiss
dreamer flyer

Yeah i've read up to volume 6 of Hot Gimmick and it's soooo sweet, but sometimes dark as well. if you think that it can't get any more twisted...man, just wait and see, even though everything is going around and around, it still keeps the audience interested. i'm reading summaries provided by this site now, it's pretty good...am i allowed to post the site up??? anyway if you want the site, just pm me
Old 2004-06-03, 18:28   Link #9
Jpizzle
kawaii.. I guess

Anyone like Hot Gimmick?

I usually never read girlish-romance manga or watch the related anime. But for some reason I started liking this manga... I dunno why.. kinda like when you're sick from school for a few weeks and you start watching daytime soap operas... and then start following the plot lines and stuff... lmfao.

Anyone like/dislike this manga? I'm wondering whether it's popular at all here or in Japan and maybe if it will ever become animated.

Old 2004-06-03, 19:56   Link #10
jennwenn

I LOVE this manga. I think its still being released in Japan, so it would be too early to animate, if it ever will be.

I really like the covers and the art. The plot twists are great! This seems like a more "grown up" and modern shoujo romance manga, which is why I like it. Its gritty too, and I like how it develops the main characters families (parents included).

I need to get the latest volumes!!!
Old 2004-06-03, 20:19   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...hlight=Gimmick
...please use the search function
Old 2004-06-03, 22:19   Link #12
Jpizzle
kawaii.. I guess

ok cool I don't feel so alone anymore... *teehee*

thx for the other thread/link and yea.. I'm lazy and forgetful about search functions..

gomen!
Old 2004-06-05, 06:58   Link #13
yukari_kiss
dreamer flyer

hey who do you guys want her to end up with?
Old 2004-07-31, 05:30   Link #14
Fronzel
Schmuck

Anyone read past volume 2? I liked volume 1 a lot, while there was some comedic trapping, everything felt so bitter, but, I don't know, volume 2 seems kinda heavy handed.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-31, 12:05   Link #15
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Just read volume 6. I'd have to say my fave character in the series would be Azusa, though concerning match-ups, I can't think of anyone who could be a good match for him. He's just too...ideal -_-. He's got the whole angsty bishonen thing going on but he keeps smiling through it all not like most angsty bishonen who tend to be jerks. And Hatsumi is way too indecisive, she keeps waffling which gets annoying at times.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-11-13, 15:06   Link #16
nororu
wandering star

Hot Gimmick

It seems that Hot Gimmick Vol.9 was out last Sep/2004 @ Japan!

this is where i got the info (nice site, a lot of spoilers though, be warned!)
http://www.swb.de/~zahara/shoujo/aih...otgimmick.html

Viz Street date for Vol. 7th is : Nov/24/04!!!! yeiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Last edited by nororu; 2004-11-23 at 13:39.
Old 2004-12-11, 21:09   Link #17
Leeners
Sailor Moon Super Fan

Send a message via AIM to Leeners Send a message via MSN to Leeners Send a message via Yahoo to Leeners
I love Hot Gimmick! I was hooked after the first volume, just like everyone else. I have up to volume 4, and I'm asking for volume 5, 6, & 7 for Christmas. I hope it comes to a conclusion just so I wouldn't have to spend so much money on the whole set, though I would love that it would keep going!
Old 2006-04-17, 12:59   Link #18
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Humm just read the series up to book 9. Everyone seems to be talking about it so much these days so I thought I will have a look at what it is. Not exactly my favorite manga, I have to say.

Hatsumi is so weak letting everyone push her around like that. I makes me kind of mad.

Ryoki is probably the first character in my manga reading history that I cannot decide whether or not I like him or hate him more. He seems to only care about sex but then at other times show he doesn't just care about sex and it's all very confusing. Insecurity and over-possessiveness is really a turn off in terms of his character. Azusa is as manipulative as Ryoki, perhaps even more so for playing with Hatsumi's feelings all 9 books, thus I don't like him either. And finally I like Shinogu, but he has a sister complex and that's kind of weird (even if they are not biologically brother and sisters, they are emotionally brother and sisters for so long).
Old 2006-04-17, 13:55   Link #19
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
Humm just read the series up to book 9. Everyone seems to be talking about it so much these days so I thought I will have a look at what it is. Not exactly my favorite manga, I have to say.

Hatsumi is so weak letting everyone push her around like that. I makes me kind of mad.

Ryoki is probably the first character in my manga reading history that I cannot decide whether or not I like him or hate him more. He seems to only care about sex but then at other times show he doesn't just care about sex and it's all very confusing. Insecurity and over-possessiveness is really a turn off in terms of his character. Azusa is as manipulative as Ryoki, perhaps even more so for playing with Hatsumi's feelings all 9 books, thus I don't like him either. And finally I like Shinogu, but he has a sister complex and that's kind of weird (even if they are not biologically brother and sisters, they are emotionally brother and sisters for so long).
I think (I'm not even sure myself) that I disagree with the Shinogu part. He basically had a choice to think of the other members as family (mom, dad, Akane, Hikaru) or not (Hatsumi). He clearly knows he's not biologically related since day 1 and he's had feeling for Hatsumi for very long; it didn't just happen overnight.

The Hatsumi love/hate fest can get annoying at times, but there are enough external elements/mysteries to make it interesting overall. I really love reading the Akane/Subaru relationship though.

I've read up to 6 (I have 7), and my Amazon (Canada) order is being delayed because they don't have 8 in stock (damn them ).

I wonder if Hot Gimmick S will be published. I want to see that alternate ending.
Old 2006-04-17, 14:31   Link #20
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
How many book are there? It ended already? Cause at book 9 it still didn't end.

When I said emotionally I was more talking about Hatsumi. She had always thought of him as a brother. Even if that is a one sided feeling, it still make the relationship rather incest like.

I suppose part of the problem is that Hatsumi is always so oblivious of everything around her. She is so unaware of her effects on other people. In that ways I suppose a lot of things happened to her because she keep misleading people with her ultra kindness. That is quite annoying too.

I am not saying Hot Gimmicks is bad so to speak, it's sort of like HYD in my opinion in terms of having a bunch of guys who you can't totally love and a crushing amount of human drama. I suppose you can say the story is realistic since every characters have their blatant short comings... but it's just not really my thing.

Personally I like characters/romantic relationships with a more light hearted manner (Yes, that's why I really did enjoy Akane/Subaru relationship cause in comparison that relationship is pretty happy).
Closed Thread