AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-08-06, 21:43   Link #561
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you've not seen Danes's performance in the made-for-HBO biopic Temple Grandin, go rent it today.

Does anyone know why Billy Bob Thornton was cast in Princess Mononoke? Does the monk that he voices speak in a Kansai dialect? There's been a tendency in American dubs to use actors with noticeable Southern dialects to voice Kansai speakers like "Osaka" in Azumanga Daioh. Is that the case with the use of Thornton here? His voice is so distinctive that I found it hard to take his character seriously. In contrast, though I know Gillian Anderson's voice well from years of watching X-Files, I never found her work as Moro distracting.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 02:38   Link #562
Zotis
Rank #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If you've not seen Danes's performance in the made-for-HBO biopic Temple Grandin, go rent it today.

Does anyone know why Billy Bob Thornton was cast in Princess Mononoke? Does the monk that he voices speak in a Kansai dialect? There's been a tendency in American dubs to use actors with noticeable Southern dialects to voice Kansai speakers like "Osaka" in Azumanga Daioh. Is that the case with the use of Thornton here? His voice is so distinctive that I found it hard to take his character seriously. In contrast, though I know Gillian Anderson's voice well from years of watching X-Files, I never found her work as Moro distracting.
Haha, yeah as soon as I realised it was 'ol Billy Bob it was hard to take that character seriously. I also found there was something lacking in the way he voiced the character. Lack of emotion or realness or something...
Old 2010-08-21, 16:05   Link #563
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
I love Takayama Minami. The maturity in Conan's voice in Detective Conan is one of the major appeals of the character to me (who wouldn't want to watch a little smartass kid that's actually a real smartass?). Then when I learned that she's the singer of the anime's main theme, Kimi ga Ireba, not to mention being a member of Two-Mix, it was just pure fandom from there.

Then I learned of her different VA roles as Alphamon in Digimon: X-Evolution - and Digimon and Detective Conan were really the only two anime I followed passionately back then. It didn't fit that well, but it was really cool to hear the voice of Conan, an intelligent fellow being in the body of Alphamon. Of course, when I heard that she was gonna play Taiki in Xros Wars, I freaked out and followed the season closely. Until it really stank up in Episode 5, of course.
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 09:04   Link #564
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

As most of us seiyuu fans here should probably already be aware of, nominations for the 5th Seiyuu Awards have now opened. j1m0ne's also got her post up on it...so should we try starting a discussion here too?

I know others have written well enough about how to vote if you know where to look, so I'll leave that (Overseas Popularity Award voting here for those who don't want to bother with the Japanese side) , but just for reference for discussion (and voting if need be), here are the lists of major roles that 2ch posted last week.

Seiyuu with multiple lead roles in 2010:

Spoiler for the ladies...:

Spoiler for and the gents!:

Needless to say, I'm not going to try summing up any supporting role lists...

My prelim thoughts:

Like others have noted before, 2010 really has no strong standouts (at least amongst those whom the committee would pick), even amongst the women (except perhaps Yuuki Aoi...though I'm guessing they might not give it to her since she's just 18?). And I never pay attention to the ladies anyway (so sue me), though I'm really liking Nakahara Mai's work in Katanagatari and Zakuro at the moment.

For the guys...the two I desperately want to win aren't going to, even though they have really strong cases again this year, but I wouldn't mind if they rewarded Seki Tomokazu for his always excellent work (finally started liking him after finishing Nodame this past year). Though if they're not going to reward the people who deserve it, I'd really rather they not start rewarding the same people again...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-10-23 at 04:15.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 16:56   Link #565
9fan1997

SHINRA KISHITANI

yuri lowenthal is awesome and shinra is such a cutie!
9fan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 21:02   Link #566
takai
Easy Muffin

Eric Vale's performance in Desert Punk was phenomenal. Compared to both japanese and english voice acting performances in any anime ever, his was top notch. Not only in voicing Punk himself, but the script writing as well. I applaud his amazing talent and skill.

takai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seiyu