AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-03, 10:10   Link #21
Jimmy C

I look forward to seeing how they plan on explaining the meaning behind the term "K-on" itself.
Additional: There appears to be a second voice in Christina's "Don't Say Lazy"

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2010-07-03 at 11:17.
Old 2010-07-03, 13:26   Link #22
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I look forward to seeing how they plan on explaining the meaning behind the term "K-on" itself.
Additional: There appears to be a second voice in Christina's "Don't Say Lazy"
its her, but she lapped her own voice again
Old 2010-07-03, 13:27   Link #23
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I don't think they'll dub the songs. Who does that anyway?

Well, I still have my Bluray rips.
Old 2010-07-03, 13:30   Link #24
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post

well unless they dub the anime, There going to have to dub the songs in the episodes they sing, just like what they did for Haruhi S which is also Licensed by Bandai
Old 2010-07-03, 14:16   Link #25
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Is this a port of the Phillipine's English dub or is this a new one?
Old 2010-07-03, 15:05   Link #26
Sammi415

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post

I don't know if it was licensed by bandai, but Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad dubbed the songs and did a great job. Its possible that they will leave the songs in Japanese though like they did in the anime, Nana.
Old 2010-07-03, 20:28   Link #27
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

K-ON!! must've been that other "big title" Bandai is betting the farm on(*). This one, and Haruhi 2009. Good news for K-ON!! fans willing to fork over American cash for Bandai discs, certainly. Is it going to save Bandai's bacon, though? I mean, what is K-ON!!'s demographic in the US? In Japan, we know who K-ON!!'s demographic is . . . single males with too much disposable income. Only problem with this is that K-ON!! is pretty far down the list of things I think of, when I think of things likely to appeal to young males with too much disposable income in the States.

Perhaps Bandai sees what a smash this has been in Japan, and online, and figure that it's got a shot to do well in the West. Only I suspect many outside of Asia who've wanted to see this show have already pirated it six ways from Sunday and will be hard to convince to fork over the $50 a DVD box-set of this title is likely to cost. I hear Haruhi and Lucky Star have worked out real well for Bandai . . . haven't you?(+)

I, personally, will pick this up. This is also one show where I am unlikely to listen to the dub track . . . although, given that Animax has already set the bar for English dubs of this show pretty low, it'll be really hard for whichever ADR Bandai selects to do anything but improve on that. Unless they involve Christina Vee in any non-promotional capacity. In which case, they'll limbo right under that bar and deserve everything coming to them. (**)

(* - Assumes they're not just picking this up for sub-only release. Even so, with all the merchandising that comes with the K-ON!! license, it can't have been anything remotely resembling cheap to acquire.)

(+ - Bandai tops the list of US companies most likely to next share the fate of the likes of ADV and Geneon.)

(** - I really don't like Christina Vee. I think her voice sounds like what I'd imagine Hell for cats would sound like. But that's just me.)
Old 2010-07-03, 20:44   Link #28
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I enjoyed the first season although the second season is a lot more enjoyable. I will probably get this after I get the higher priority anime from the list (which is only 2-3 titles). I'm more interested on how they will perform these songs in English like they did with "God Knows" from the Suzumiya Haruhi dub... but yea, the songs from K-ON! will probably sound better in Japanese... but I wait on my final opinion after I take a look of it when I get the DVDs.
Old 2010-07-03, 21:15   Link #29
Mckendrick
Jr Otaku

Think they'll bother with blu-ray? Prob not. Will pick up either way though.

I was on of the few and lucky to make the pilgrimage to San Fransisco for the Disappearance movie. Hit me up if you wish talk about it.
Old 2010-07-03, 21:27   Link #30
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckendrick View Post
Think they'll bother with blu-ray? Prob not. Will pick up either way though.
It'd be nice, but I feel they'll wait and see if the DVDs sell enough, since they're cheaper to make and Bandai doesn't have a guaranteed fanbase here like TBS does in Japan. I'll be getting DVDs anyway, since I've yet to upgrade.
Old 2010-07-04, 04:26   Link #31
twinklestar
anime fanbot..LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Is this a port of the Phillipine's English dub or is this a new one?
Err that Animax Asia english dubs of K-ON! was dubbed in Hong Kong by British expats and not from the Philippines..

I really do wish Bang Zoom will be the ones to dub this one!Though I prefer Cristina Vee to be Azusa Nakano or Yui Hirasawa's voice actress for this English dub of K-ON!.
Old 2010-07-04, 12:17   Link #32
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklestar View Post

I really do wish Bang Zoom will be the ones to dub this one!Though I prefer Cristina Vee to be Azusa Nakano or Yui Hirasawa's voice actress for this English dub of K-ON!.
It's going to be a wait and see approach for who voices who if there is a dub. I have someone else in mind for Mio, but they may already have their Mio in Christina Vee (which could be an interesting choice).
Old 2010-07-04, 15:10   Link #33
Squawks
PSI you from behind

if the special edition comes with some castanets I will buy 10
Old 2010-07-04, 20:44   Link #34
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

I have a feeling might be what they did with the Transformers Movie series, and have a special plastic case for the series that looks like Geetah herself.
Old 2010-07-05, 01:35   Link #35
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
I have a feeling might be what they did with the Transformers Movie series, and have a special plastic case for the series that looks like Geetah herself.
That would be awesome.
Old 2010-07-05, 03:40   Link #36
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Bandai picks up another Kyoani title? Little surprise since in being the video/audio media side partner of Kadokawa (their key patron on the publishing/source material ) they all but own them.
Old 2010-07-05, 09:28   Link #37
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

They did do a "School Locker" made out of aluminium for the School Rumble collection down in Australia... so a "Geetah Case" would not really be out of the question.

And Lord Of Fire, is that Sawa-chan sensei headbanging the night away in your avatar?
Old 2010-07-05, 11:15   Link #38
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
And Lord Of Fire, is that Sawa-chan sensei headbanging the night away in your avatar?
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't.
Old 2010-07-05, 16:23   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
K-ON!! must've been that other "big title" Bandai is betting the farm on(*). This one, and Haruhi 2009. Good news for K-ON!! fans willing to fork over American cash for Bandai discs, certainly. Is it going to save Bandai's bacon, though? I mean, what is K-ON!!'s demographic in the US? In Japan, we know who K-ON!!'s demographic is . . . single males with too much disposable income. Only problem with this is that K-ON!! is pretty far down the list of things I think of, when I think of things likely to appeal to young males with too much disposable income in the States.
According to polls in Japan, K-On! has been "unexpectedly" popular with female viewers as well. Also, in the U.S. (at least anecdotally), I've found as many female fans as male. The series doesn't treat females poorly (like say, the "usual harem anime" comedy) and shows them in a commendable light with good academic habits, career plans, etc. I'd certainly recommend it as good entertainment for girls as well as guys. I suspect it will do well if marketed properly.

The only demographic I could see K-On! failing in is the "young male teen too insecure to watch anything but violent gar stuff" category
Old 2010-07-12, 04:15   Link #40
Jintor

Christina Vee is pretty damn awesome. Goddamn. Just went through all her Haruhi songs, she's pretty good. Different, but good.
Closed Thread