AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2012-09-21, 23:24   Link #741
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
hey, i like kyouraku's shikai! i thought it suits him perfectly. he does have a child-like side to him, he loves pranks, he loves to joke around, he's immature and irresponsible even. and yet he is one of the deadliest and most powerful shinigami in soul society, perhaps the most powerful one besides yamaji. we still haven't seen urahara's bankai though, it might even be more ridiculous than kyouraku's shikai.
i like it too and i really like his character as well. he's one of my favorites. i just dont think that his shikai (let alone whatever his bankai does since that's apparently too crazy to use with allies around) fits in the normal realm of zanpakutou powers in that it changes the form of his body to a shadow. not impossible in the bleachverse of course, like mayuri melting down vs ishida for instance, but when it comes to zanpakutou's they dont ever change the user's body like that (unless i'm forgetting someone...). but yea, i do like it
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 23:58   Link #742
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
hey, i like kyouraku's shikai! i thought it suits him perfectly. he does have a child-like side to him, he loves pranks, he loves to joke around, he's immature and irresponsible even. and yet he is one of the deadliest and most powerful shinigami in soul society, perhaps the most powerful one besides yamaji. we still haven't seen urahara's bankai though, it might even be more ridiculous than kyouraku's shikai.
According to the book, Unohana is 2nd to Yama-ji among the captains (3rd if you count Aizen). Apparently she excels at kendo and given her sword is a nodachi it wouldn't be surprising.

We're SUPPOSED to see her fight this arc says Kubo and personally I do think she is the current 2nd strongest captain.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 00:23   Link #743
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
i like it too and i really like his character as well. he's one of my favorites. i just dont think that his shikai (let alone whatever his bankai does since that's apparently too crazy to use with allies around) fits in the normal realm of zanpakutou powers in that it changes the form of his body to a shadow. not impossible in the bleachverse of course, like mayuri melting down vs ishida for instance, but when it comes to zanpakutou's they dont ever change the user's body like that (unless i'm forgetting someone...). but yea, i do like it
Well initially, Komamura's bankai made Komamura himself a giant. So I guess that can count as a zanpakuto ability that changed the "form" of his body from small to large. Baishin is perhaps a more prominent example though as his bankai transformed him into a being made of swords.

Ultimately, I think it simply comes down to the fact that Kubo's never claimed absolute limitations for what Bankai abilities could or could not be able to do. So just because the majority of bankai abilities we've seen so far may have had some limitations to be noticed, I suppose it would be a mistake on the reader's part to immediately cancel out the possibility that there would never be a few bankai's granting abilities or traits beyond those presumed limits. Afterall, from practically the get-go Kubo at least suggested this as a possibility when he made Byakuya highlight the fact that Ichigo's bankai falls outside the norm. So why can't a couple others follow suit in different ways and to varying degrees?

Compared to some of the other asspulls this series has thrown our way, this is one issue I find myself more capable of suspending my disbelief towards.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 06:20   Link #744
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

I sware to god kubo must be going through peoples fanfictions and taking different characters abilities and using em in this arc. He's going for the OP ones with the expensive commissions now XD

sig made by the wonderful Godlike1889
http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=80506
Chiisai Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 09:09   Link #745
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
Baishin is perhaps a more prominent example though as his bankai transformed him into a being made of swords.
who's Baishin?

Quote:
Ultimately, I think it simply comes down to the fact that Kubo's never claimed absolute limitations for what Bankai abilities could or could not be able to do. So just because the majority of bankai abilities we've seen so far may have had some limitations to be noticed, I suppose it would be a mistake on the reader's part to immediately cancel out the possibility that there would never be a few bankai's granting abilities or traits beyond those presumed limits. Afterall, from practically the get-go Kubo at least suggested this as a possibility when he made Byakuya highlight the fact that Ichigo's bankai falls outside the norm. So why can't a couple others follow suit in different ways and to varying degrees?
yea, I agree here, it's just that that is my problem with a lot of powers that he introduces. they don't seem as cool as they should be because they don't fit into a category. i'm more talking about fullbring and some of the dumb shitritter powers here like turning into a gorilla for instance... but it is certainly true that kubo wants it this way without limitations, which to me suggests that he wants the freedom to do whatever he wants just in case he can't come up with something that does fit those expectations

Quote:
Compared to some of the other asspulls this series has thrown our way, this is one issue I find myself more capable of suspending my disbelief towards.
totally agree here and like i said, i do actually like shunsui's power, i just dont think it fits in with the other soul reaper powers
Old 2012-09-22, 09:16   Link #746
sayde

Quote:
who's Baishin?

As for the other two points you made, you won't see anymore disagreement from me.
Old 2012-09-22, 12:32   Link #747
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Well initially, Komamura's bankai made Komamura himself a giant. So I guess that can count as a zanpakuto ability that changed the "form" of his body from small to large. Baishin is perhaps a more prominent example though as his bankai transformed him into a being made of swords.

Komamura's bankai never changed his body. It only brought the entire giant out which he controls.
Old 2012-09-22, 13:27   Link #748
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
Komamura's bankai never changed his body. It only brought the entire giant out which he controls.
To say it "never" changed his body seems like it would be incorrect. Take a look at either chapter 176 or episode 62. Immediately after saying "Bankai", Komamura himself grows in size. Conversely, the giant suit of samurai armor is nowhere to be seen.
*edit*
It did just occur to me that Aizen might've simply taken out Komamura before the giant suit of armor showed up, but no matter how I look at either the anime or the manga, its clear Komamura's body grew larger before he was taken down. Because in one panel, the top of Aizen's head easily reaches the height of Komamura's chest. But after he tries using Bankai, the top of Aizen's head doesn't even look like it reaches the bottom of Komamura's sash.

Last edited by sayde; 2012-09-22 at 13:53.
Old 2012-09-22, 13:29   Link #749
Excelion

Quote:
Immediately after saying "Bankai", Komamura himself grows in size.
Gonna try that in bed next time
Excelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:59   Link #750
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
To say it "never" changed his body seems like it would be incorrect. Take a look at either chapter 176 or episode 62. Immediately after saying "Bankai", Komamura himself grows in size. Conversely, the giant suit of samurai armor is nowhere to be seen.
*edit*
It did just occur to me that Aizen might've simply taken out Komamura before the giant suit of armor showed up, but no matter how I look at either the anime or the manga, its clear Komamura's body grew larger before he was taken down. Because in one panel, the top of Aizen's head easily reaches the height of Komamura's chest. But after he tries using Bankai, the top of Aizen's head doesn't even look like it reaches the bottom of Komamura's sash.
Yeah but he used his bankai before that vs. Kenpachi and the armor was summoned. Aizen just took him out too fast.
Old 2012-09-22, 16:04   Link #751
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
*edit*
It's probably just angle the scene is drawn in. Aizen dispelled his illusion of appearing to be far away standing next to Tousen and revealed himself to be right in front of Komamura before he released his bankai. Komamura is much taller than Aizen and the height difference would be more distinct when they are small distance apart. The scene is at an angle looking upwards and I think the perspective wasn't nailed quite right, making Komamura appear bigger than he should've. However, I don't think he actually grew in height. Especially since Komamura's bankai was established as the giant suit of armor in his fight against Kenpachi

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 16:21   Link #752
sayde

Fine. I'll concede on the issue and agree to the idea that Kubo simply didn't illustrate the perspective accurately enough.
Old 2012-09-22, 20:36   Link #753
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

^ Not that it really disproves your original point. There's no set limitations on what bankai are capable of. Or even shikai for that matter. Physically changing form is usually more of an arrancar thing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a shinigami have that power in the manga eventually.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 11:07   Link #754
Casshern

Pretty sure Mayuri turned into a puddle of goo after his fight with Ishida.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 11:43   Link #755
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
There's no set limitations on what bankai are capable of. Or even shikai for that matter. Physically changing form is usually more of an arrancar thing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a shinigami have that power in the manga eventually.
yea i kinda feel like someone will have a water based zanpakutou that changes them into liquid. possibly unohana since her sword looks like a water creature. just speculating though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Pretty sure Mayuri turned into a puddle of goo after his fight with Ishida.
true, but that wasn't his zanpakutou's power. it was a mad scientist power
Old 2012-09-23, 14:57   Link #756
Black-Cat-Sama

Quote:

yup, he injected himself with some last minute syringe. Mayuri has all the outs =P
Black-Cat-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 17:37   Link #757
Casshern

Quote:
Yeah I'm just saying that this kind of ability isn't unheard of in bleach
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 07:25   Link #758
ronin myael
lost ronin

kubo didn't exactly set up rules and limitations when he created the shinigami's powers. some are just so broken and over-powered you can't help but scratch your head at how ridiculous they are. so kyouraku or yamaji's powers don't bug me at all. it's kubo for crying out loud!
Old 2012-09-24, 12:49   Link #759
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Yeah I'm just saying that this kind of ability isn't unheard of in bleach
i know. thats why i posted this just a couple posts before yours

Quote:
kubo didn't exactly set up rules and limitations when he created the shinigami's powers. some are just so broken and over-powered you can't help but scratch your head at how ridiculous they are. so kyouraku or yamaji's powers don't bug me at all. it's kubo for crying out loud!
just bored here, but i dont see an issue with yama-jii's powers, at least not yet. all his flame techs are external and dont alter his physical form and resurrecting zombies seems legit for a soul reaper, especially the commander and most powerful. shunsui's changes his body into something immaterial. with that type of power how does he even manage to get stabbed so much? i know it plays by rules but the whole thing just seems off to me. it's too complex and the fact that his body can change form doesn't fit for me at all. even the fullbringers didnt get that strange in terms of form change. the quincies do but its dumb. this guy turned into a gorilla, that guy turned into a twinkie... just stick with projectiles and spirit particle weapons please
Old 2012-09-26, 03:21   Link #760
Eragon
Still Alive

Annnd Yama's Bankai will be stolen. It was a good chapter by the way. Since he isn't the real boss I guess his second in command is the real deal - or it just might be Uryu, which means I get my wish

Tags
bleach, chapter