AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-02-26, 12:29   Link #1
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

With the Light

This is an awesome series done by Tobe Keiko, currently at 12 volumes and still on going.

Basically it follows Sachiko and Masato Azuma as they have their first child, and have to come to terms with him being autistic. Itfollows the collapse and rebirth of their familly, having to deal with a society that dosen't understand or accept autism, and how they survive as a family.

It's licensed by Yen Press, and being released with 2 volumes in 1, so voluem 1 included volumes 1&2, and vol2 due for release next month will have vols 3&4. Currently it's upto 12 volumes in japan, and is still on going. UIt's also been adapted into a JDrama.

It's an awesome series, well worth reading!!!

No scanlations for it though, so you'll need to buy the books
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 13:55   Link #2
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Wow sound quite different but another title i cannot get in the UK .
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 15:06   Link #3
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

You can get it in the UK Reizo, Yen Press are the only company that dual release ALL of thier catelogue in both the UK and US at the same time. Cheapest place to get it is The Book Depository
Old 2008-02-26, 15:10   Link #4
animernq

It's definately available in the UK (I know because I live in the UK and I was able to read it).

It's an intersting book and does contain some good information about autism. It'll probably appeal to people who like slice-of-life stories.
animernq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 17:15   Link #5
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Yeah, it's based on factual events and stuff, so it's not your atypical manga. I also think those that love the shojo art style will like it aswell
Old 2008-04-14, 18:51   Link #6
FireChick

With The Light

I don't know if there's a topic on this manga. If there is, then feel free to delete it. I think I found the first manga about autism EVER made! I was looking up Autism on Wikipedia (I'm autistic myself) until I found 'with the light'. I clicked on it and you will NOT, I repeat, NOT believe what I found! I could make this up but I didn't! A manga about Autism! by Tobe Keiko! Here's an Amazon link (sorry!)

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Vol-Rais...8216847&sr=1-1

Oh my goodness! I never thought such a manga even existed! I even dreamed of making the first autistic anime/manga character! Oh well! I think I found something so out of my expectations that even my parents might be shocked! I hope nobody minds. It's currently licensed by Yen Press (I'm unfamiliar with them and have no manga licensed by them). I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want this manga! It looks so cute! I'm gonna ask my dad if I can order it! If anyone wishes to find a manga like this, please order it (I have NO CLUE if it's in Borders or not) and check out! You'll love it! I'll even recommend it to parents!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 09:03   Link #7
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Already has a topic

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ighlight=light

I've also reviewed both of the currently available volumes on my blog. It's a great series and wrth reading.
Old 2008-04-15, 14:07   Link #8
FireChick

Oh darn it! I'm so sorry! I'm so stupid! >_<
Old 2008-04-16, 03:19   Link #9
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

meh i've done it a few times myself hehe also it's not an easy topic to find. It dosent show up in the search for some reason. I only knew it was there cause i made it originally

Be prepared to cry though if you get this one, i know i did a few times. Especially with vol 01
Old 2008-04-16, 04:53   Link #10
FireChick

My dad and I ordered two volumes of this off of Amazon. I really want this book! I didn't think something like this existed until 2 days ago! Go me (in case you don't know, I'm autistic myself)!
Old 2008-04-26, 12:49   Link #11
FireChick

I got my copies of volumes 1 and 2! I loved them! It was so good! My dad wanted to read it too! I really love this series! It's such a shame there's no anime for this! The only thing I don't like about the format that Yen Press put it in is that I found in volume 2, some of the pages looked like they were ripped out. I guess Yen Press couldn't fit those pages in. I wonder if mighty putty would put them in?
Old 2008-04-26, 19:40   Link #12
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

You probably got a dodgy copy then. Yen didn't remove anything from the releases so far.

And while there is no anime and never likely to be, there is a live action adaption that ran for 11 episodes. I've the raws for it somewhere.
Old 2008-09-27, 06:37   Link #13
FireChick

Volume 3 is out! Go get it!
Old 2008-09-27, 07:15   Link #14
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

lol Vol 3 was out last month
Old 2010-01-29, 18:40   Link #15
FireChick

Terrible news everyone: Tobe Keiko is dead.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...be-passes-away

This is so sad...I literally bawled at this.
Old 2010-01-29, 22:25   Link #16
Kunagisa

Can't say I've read her work before (heard of the Jdrama, which I held off from watching because I get depressed really easily), but I hope someone pick up her work and finish the piece eventually.

She'll be missed.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 18:51   Link #17
RichardFromMarple

This was the first Manga I read, mostly from a mention on the Wikipedia.

I was impressed to find a Manga dealing with autism, and with me being interested in Japanese culture it ticked all the boxes.

I now have the first 6 (English translation) volumes. Lucky for me Amazon UK stock them at a reasonable price.

My parents were very impressed by it as well, though my Mum wondered why it had to be read backwards & why almost no-one in it looked Japanese!

It's very sad that Keiko Tobe is no longer with us.

I would like to see the live action adaptation, is there any fansubs?
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote