AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2012-08-23, 01:41   Link #2281
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I read the first arc years ago and I"m reading the second arc now....

But I also started some arc where it takes place in 2006 with a grown up Mion...
You're referring to Beyond Midnight Chapter, which is a side-story Question arc. still good, though.
Old 2012-08-23, 09:28   Link #2282
maximilianjenus
[E]

it's better to read that arc after the sixth arc.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 15:37   Link #2283
Draugur

The first volume (in fact it's a double volume, twice as thick as the first volumes) of the Massacre Arc (Minagoroshi) is out now for some time from Yen Press. The artwork was done by Hinase Momoyama who did a good job, I don't find anything to complain. But Yutori Houjyou who did the Watanagashi and Meakashi volumes still remains my favourite artist in the series.

The volume contains the Minagoroshi story up to the dialogue in which Ooishi tells Keiichi not to interfere with the Sonozaki family by appealing to the Children Consultation Centre.

The next volume (2/3 of the Massacre Arc) will apparently be released in December.
Draugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:38   Link #2284
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugur View Post
The first volume (in fact it's a double volume, twice as thick as the first volumes) of the Massacre Arc (Minagoroshi) is out now for some time from Yen Press.

The volume contains the Minagoroshi story up to the dialogue in which Ooishi tells Keiichi not to interfere with the Sonozaki family by appealing to the Children Consultation Centre.

The next volume (2/3 of the Massacre Arc) will apparently be released in December.
That's interesting. Wasn't it stated before that Minagoroshi-hen and Matsuribayashi-hen would each be released as omnibus books (meaning each book would contain their entire arc)?
Old 2012-10-06, 16:12   Link #2285
Draugur

Yen Press wrote: "***From this point on, each volume of Higurashi will be an omnibus containing two volumes of the original series!***"

The volumes are double the size now. If they hadn't changed the size of the volumes, Minagoroshi were going to be published in 6 volumes (as many as the first three question arcs together, which seems really out of proportion to me) and Matsuribayashi even 8 volumes. I think Matsuribayashi is rich enough to fill so many volumes, but Minagoroshi? I think the next volume will be about the Child Consultation Centre matter only. Of course I pre-ordered it but I'm not looking extremely forward to it.

Well, in fact I can't get enough of Higurashi so that will be alright for me.
Old 2012-10-08, 14:15   Link #2286
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
On page 221 of Minagoroshi-hen, Rika says "In all world before this one, Ooishi makes contact with Keiichi after the fifth year's murder."

In chapter 3 or Watanagashi-hen, Keiichi meets Oiishi outside Angel Mort, when he knocks over the motorcycles and again at the festival.

In Tatarigoroshi-hen, he meets Ooishi at the end of volume 1, again before the murders.

Was this error in the original manga or in the translation?
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 15:21   Link #2287
Draugur

In the Sound Novel Rika says:

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think the text passage is about Keiichi and Oishi having never had a friendly talk without suspicion in any of the previous worlds.

However, this doesn't necessarily have to be an error in the manga version because Rika might just have forgotten.
Old 2012-10-24, 17:09   Link #2288
Seronei

So apparently you can buy the Higurashi manga digitally from square enix, unfortunately it's region locked and I can't buy it from Sweden, I've tried with VPN and shit but my bank card still gives it away. So if someone from the USA would be willing to help me out it would be amazing, I'll paypal you the required money etc.

(I hope this isn't against the rules?)
Seronei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 10:34   Link #2289
DoubtGin

Can you guys tell me when the first hint regarding Rika's past was given in the manga (about her knowing everything etc)?
DoubtGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 11:04   Link #2290
Draugur

Of course there are her prophecies in Himatsubushi-hen (Time Killing Arc), I can't remember anything before that, but there's no guarantee. I'd have to read them once more to be sure.

There is a strong hint in Atonement Arc, volume 3, starting from page 104, when Rika meets Rena in her hideout and tells her mysteriously about "this Rena Ryugu" and "the next Rena Ryugu". This was shown later in the anime, at the beginning of the second season.

The name Hanyu appears already in Meakashi-hen (Eye Opening Arc), when Rika
Spoiler for Meakashi:
Old 2012-10-25, 11:50   Link #2291
RandomAvatarFan

Well, Himatsubushi-hen or the Time Killing Arc centers on her knowing more than she should. So that can in fact be taken as a hint. But even in Tatarigoroshi-hen, Curse Killing Chapter, shows Rika being killed in a manner that we've never seen anyone be killed before. We might not be able to devine her entire role, but her role through the Kakera is pretty much spelled out in that scene mentioned above about the Atonement arc.

Without love this picture cannot be seen.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 09:36   Link #2292
maximilianjenus
[E]

It's definitely the himatsubushi hen.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 11:46   Link #2293
Draugur

There is already a hint in the end of Onikakushi (Abducted by Demons Arc) 2, in the (imo, not very thoughtfully written) short epilogue. Rika comforts Satoko, saying: "It's okay, Satoko ... We'll be able to see Keiichi and the others again." (Rena and Mion are simply referred to as "the others"?? Come on! This might be an appropriate way to talk about it if the two had beaten Keiichi to death, and not vice versa.) "See them again" can also be interpreted as "see them in the afterlife" by someone who doesn't know anything about what will follow, but for those who know it's quite clear.
There's also Rika's cryptic warning to Keiichi not to lose the bat. (I'm not quite sure what she exactly means, though.)
Old 2013-01-05, 17:35   Link #2294
Draugur

The second volume of the Massacre Arc is out from Yen Press for some time now. Am I the only one around here who buys the Higurashi manga books?

This is the volume which deals with the seemingly hopeless Satoko situation and Keiichi's crusade against the Children Consultation Center. This is maybe my least favourite part of the story because I don't like stories with one dominant glorious male hero who gets praised all the time. Also this is a double volume again. The Massacre Arc manga is three times as long as the question arcs. But I think the question arcs are much more interesting. However, I really look forward to the tragic events in the last volume of the Massacre Arc, which will be released in March, as far as I know. And I'm even more keen on the Matsuribayashi manga, although I don't like how Karin Suzuragi draws Takano (she seems to have two pairs of eyebrows - Takano, not Suzuragi).

The mangaka, Hinase Momoyama, is really good. Especially Rika looks very vivid and convincing in all her changing moods and expressions. But Yutori Houjyou is still my favourite artist of them all.
Old 2013-01-05, 22:21   Link #2295
TheGuraGuraMan

Nah, I buy them too, and usually preorder them, so I often get them 1 week before the official release *ahahah.Wav*
Personally, Karin Suzuragi is clearly my favorite in term of drawings.
If you want to see how she draw Takano, why don't you just look at scrrenshots/scans of Matsuribayashi ?

And come on, the saving Satoko is clearly one of the most exciting parts of the serie (or at least in the VN and manga... Seriously it was boring in the anime), Kei is the best for this kind of thing, of course he is the main here. Plus he don't do much in Matsuribayashi, everyone had a shinning moment in the story, so what is the problem ?

In the manga adaptations, Tsumi is clearly the best, as good as the original and doesn't just copy it.

Btw I randomly got Hinamizawa bus stop. First it's in one volume, and 10 chapters. There are more easter egg chars (Irie, Takano and an adult Rena), The end is FUCKIN gory, didn't expect that at all. I really hope someone will continue it, since it's not THAT long (well.. Still 7 chapters)

Last edited by TheGuraGuraMan; 2013-01-05 at 22:33.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 04:04   Link #2296
Draugur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuraGuraMan View Post
If you want to see how she draw Takano, why don't you just look at scrrenshots/scans of Matsuribayashi ?
Sorry, you got me wrong about this. I know how she draws Takano, I just don't like this particular character design. Takano looks much more mysterious and captivating in Yutori Houjyou's Watanagashi-hen and Meakashi-hen. Suzuragi designs her rather like a witch from a fairytale, so you can easily see she's an evil character.

Quote:
And come on, the saving Satoko is clearly one of the most exciting parts of the serie (or at least in the VN and manga... Seriously it was boring in the anime), Kei is the best for this kind of thing, of course he is the main here. Plus he don't do much in Matsuribayashi, everyone had a shinning moment in the story, so what is the problem ?
Ryukishi wanted to make sure the reader likes Keiichi in Minagoroshi, by any means. So he wrote very much dialogue about how great Keiichi is. I think he just overdid it. It's rather tedious. Another thing I didn't like is the Oryou scene. When they visited Oryou, I expected a great argument between Keiichi or his friends and Oryou or Akane. But instead of convincing her rhetorically, he told her he would strangle her if she didn't support him. Twice. What is so great about that? Why did Oryou agree after being threatened like this? Even if she wanted to forgive Satoko herself, why would she want everyone to know she gave in to such a stupid threat? I know this is about not losing face, but wouldn't the best way for Oryou to decide herself that she forgives the Houjou family and not to wait until a youngster comes and threatens her? Well, maybe it's just me who doesn't understand it all, but in my own personal opinion this is my least favourite part of the story, which doesn't mean it's bad. I just don't like it as much as the others.

About shining moments: I think Keiichi is the only character who gets this kind of superstar treatment. Other characters have to kill people to get attention in Higurashi.

Quote:
In the manga adaptations, Tsumi is clearly the best, as good as the original and doesn't just copy it.
It's my favourite chapter in the anime and the novel. I'm not so sure about the manga.

Quote:
Btw I randomly got Hinamizawa bus stop. First it's in one volume, and 10 chapters. There are more easter egg chars (Irie, Takano and an adult Rena), The end is FUCKIN gory, didn't expect that at all. I really hope someone will continue it, since it's not THAT long (well.. Still 7 chapters)
I know only three chapters of Bus Stop. Is there an english release of those 10 chapters?
Old 2013-01-06, 06:23   Link #2297
battle22

Quote:
I don't like Keiichi, :P In Arc-1-4 He was just a big asshole and in arc5-8 He magicly becomes "Badass". Nope, I never Liked Keiichi and never will . Also I also think Satoko saving arc was stretched to the point when it was Booring, Yes in the VN too .
Old 2013-01-06, 06:34   Link #2298
Draugur

I liked Keiichi best in Arc 4

No, I just think Satoshi should be the male lead character because he's very interesting while Keiichi is more like the average youthful hero, at least in Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi. I think all the female characters are more interesting than Keiichi, who (in my humble interpretation) is something like a blank space to reflect the reader's experience with the story.
Old 2013-01-06, 08:57   Link #2299
battle22

Quote:
I liked Keiichi best in Arc 4
Keiichi wasn't in the arc4 ...Or was this a joke? OHHH I see it Nice one
Quote:
No, I just think Satoshi should be the male lead character because he's very interesting while Keiichi is more like the average youthful hero, at least in Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi. I think all the female characters are more interesting than Keiichi, who (in my humble interpretation) is something like a blank space to reflect the reader's experience with the story.
Agreed!!!! You just said the same exact stuff I was thinking
Old 2013-01-06, 11:16   Link #2300
TheGuraGuraMan

"About shining moments: I think Keiichi is the only character who gets this kind of superstar treatment. Other characters have to kill people to get attention in Higurashi.
"

Don't think so. Tomitake, Irie, Akasaka, Oishi, Kasai and Hanyű had shinning moments in Matsuribayshi, same for Satoko and Mion, the rest of the club had full arcs for them.

"I don't like Keiichi, :P In Arc-1-4 He was just a big asshole and in arc5-8 He magicly becomes "Badass"."

On the other way I usually don't ike the main chars, that's not the case for Kei and Battler ;p Asshole ? When ? And remember, if he became "badass" in the 6th and 7th arcs, it's because he remembered stuff from previous worlds. He fully used his skill of talking, like Mion's lead and Satoko's traps in Matsuribayashi.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote