AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-13, 16:06   Link #981
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Does anyone have *any* idea what the deal is at 15:48 with the two guys in the background hurling open the supply closet door as if they were expecting giant goblins inside? Gotta be a reference to something....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
^I join this request; it has been bugging me since I watched it.

(PS: My dirty mind thought they were expecting, er, something else... Those familiar with H-Manga/H-Anime should know what do I mean)
I thought it was Minoru making a cameo before LSC, but I'm wondering if it's a reference to time travelers using the closet as a cover for their time traveling...

(but then again, it could be something else)

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 16:08   Link #982
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Hmm...now I need to go find sprite rips for the SHnY Mugen and that Lucky☆Star scene...
I'm pretty sure the only character is Yuki and she has Haruhi, Mikuru and Ryoko as strikers. Mikuru and Haruhi are borderline useless as Mikuru doesn't do anything and Haruhi does this weird arcing flying kick that rarely hits and does a sliver of damage if it somehow connects, but Ryoko stunlocks the enemy with a knife for an obscenely long time and does respectable damage. Yuki is kind of like a high tier Guilty Gear character in that she has an instant kill move, good speed, and good juggling potential, but weak attack and defence. Overall surprisingly balanced. Make a good Fire Emblem scene out of it if you can find some sprites and I might award you some rep. Guile sprites are a dime a dozen too.

On another subject I'm not entirely clear on what Grieverr wants to happen. Are you saing you want somebody to post a picture of Haruhi standing behind Konata with no life bar to represent her prescence in the battle? I really don't understand what you are getting at.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 16:12   Link #983
winry039
love is dreaminess

Send a message via AIM to winry039
yea it does look interesting i keep an eye out for it
winry039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 16:46   Link #984
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Does anyone have *any* idea what the deal is at 15:48 with the two guys in the background hurling open the supply closet door as if they were expecting giant goblins inside? Gotta be a reference to something....
Wasn't there a magical locker room door in Digi-Charat Nyo? the one they used to jump from the normal world to the other one were the school of princesses was?

Of course, this is probably not the reference in question, but so far, it's the only similar thing that I can remember.

Oh, and nice azumanga avi winry.
Old 2007-04-13, 17:26   Link #985
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Did any one notice a.f.k. translation including Tsukasa saying "daylight savings" during her apology to Miyuki? (Check the 14:15 minute mark)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Japan do away with daylight saving time many years ago?

a.f.k. does some awesome subs, and I think they've clearly done the best job for Lucky Star, but sometimes things like that or the "nab a niche audience" (which almost implies the opposite of what Kona meant) get to me. And that's after I'd almost come to terms with "moe" being translated as "turn-on". I still haven't figured out what I think of "Curses" and "wait a tick", but I've been debating that one since the Haruhi days.

Count me in, as well, on the question of the male students and the closet.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 17:40   Link #986
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Did any one notice a.f.k. translation including Tsukasa saying "daylight savings" during her apology to Miyuki? (Check the 14:15 minute mark)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Japan do away with daylight saving time many years ago?
Yes, Japan did away with daylight savings. But the idea is the same. You still have to get used to the sun coming up earlier/later as the seasons shift even if you don't shift time.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 17:54   Link #987
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Alrighty, merchandise time! Before I even heard about the news that Lucky Star was going to become an anime series, I saw this T-shirt and I wanted to buy it: http://www.hlj.com/product/CSP20262 Too bad it was discontinued before I even had the chance.

However, for you Tsukasa and Kagami fans, here's an interesting shirt for you: http://www.hlj.com/product/CSP20265
Tsukasa says, "Onee-chan, 'tsundere'-tte na~ni?" ("Sis, what's a 'tsundere'?")

There's also a T-shirt of Konata in what looks like a kisakae (paper dress-up doll) or probably those plastic models like Gundam. http://www.hlj.com/product/CSP23382
Ffenix Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 18:29   Link #988
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post

a.f.k. does some awesome subs, and I think they've clearly done the best job for Lucky Star, but sometimes things like that or the "nab a niche audience" (which almost implies the opposite of what Kona meant) get to me. And that's after I'd almost come to terms with "moe" being translated as "turn-on". I still haven't figured out what I think of "Curses" and "wait a tick", but I've been debating that one since the Haruhi days.
"nab a niche audience" was very awkward (as well as the attempted half sentence follow up "I don't know about nab a niche..."
I ended up telling a fellow viewer they were actually referring to a glasses fetish and perhaps should have gone for "attract certain guys..." or something if they weren't going to be literal in the first place.

The rest seemed more on track though I've not had a chance to really listen carefully (trying to get something else finished I said I'd do for someone).
"wait a tick" actually works pretty well with the flavor and flow of "chotto matte"
"moe" vs "turn-on" ....... O.o maybe "super-cute"? or "cuddly"? .... its hard to describe moe in "five words or less" to fit into the conversational flow.
Old 2007-04-13, 19:18   Link #989
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

For a show like this, which I'd call even a "gateway" show, I think that leaving some words like moe untranslated would end up being a good thing to the community.

To be more specific, if it has an (english) wikipedia entry on it, I think it's okay to leave it untranslated, or with a transation note preferably at the end of the show.

This helps to spread new vocabulary into the community. Why is this a good thing? Well, looking at the more "mature" japanese otaku community, they are constantly coming up with new slang words the spread into usage. The more we spread the language of the culture, the better formed the culture ends up being and the closer knit the community becomes.

This is all sort of big-picturey, I realize. If your purpose is simply to make the subs understandable to the largest possible audience, then a.f.k. has the right idea. But in some ways I think like it can do so much moe!
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 19:42   Link #990
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

a.f.k. helps bringing the fans, I appreciate that, so I won't complain about their way of translating.
I'll stick SF's translation or any other group, though.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 19:47   Link #991
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Words get imported into languages when they convey an idea better than the local language (e.g. tsunami replacing the poorly coined "tidal wave").

Given the audience (lets face it, Lucky*Star is going to be seen by an audience already used to "some things Pacific Rim" and "gamespeak", it is almost more work to avoid terms already in common use by the expected audience than to just use them. Even general audiences could cue in on an unknown word if context was provided (the "moe" example of the episode..... by golly, if you don't know what moe is after watching Miyuku describe herself you should probably have your internet connnection confiscated ).

Meh... we have this sort of discussion in almost every series that involves "things peculiarly Japanese". There's no totally right answer but nudging the audience to broaden their vocabulary just a bit or be exposed to "alien" things isn't a bad thing. If the audience is *that* uncomfortable, they have other issues

Did anyone else notice a video degradation in SF's second release? And does anyone know if any other group is taking this project on?
Old 2007-04-13, 20:00   Link #992
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm pretty sure the only character is Yuki and she has Haruhi, Mikuru and Ryoko as strikers. Mikuru and Haruhi are borderline useless as Mikuru doesn't do anything and Haruhi does this weird arcing flying kick that rarely hits and does a sliver of damage if it somehow connects, but Ryoko stunlocks the enemy with a knife for an obscenely long time and does respectable damage. Yuki is kind of like a high tier Guilty Gear character in that she has an instant kill move, good speed, and good juggling potential, but weak attack and defence. Overall surprisingly balanced. Make a good Fire Emblem scene out of it if you can find some sprites and I might award you some rep. Guile sprites are a dime a dozen too.
When Mikuru, Haruhi and Isuki comes are summoned, if the conditions are right, the Mikuru Beam is triggered, with two kinds of beams for the different contacts. Nagato is able to transform into witch mode which gives you a host of powerful attacks, but her normal form is able to do a ton of damage with the nagato beam attack. BTW, the sprites are found here. Get the ver 2. http://kaihokaitin.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mugen/nagato.htm

Quote:
On another subject I'm not entirely clear on what Grieverr wants to happen. Are you saing you want somebody to post a picture of Haruhi standing behind Konata with no life bar to represent her prescence in the battle? I really don't understand what you are getting at.
Well, its 3 a.m in the morning and i didn't add in the health bar due to exhaustion so forgive me. What i wanted to say was 'The Ultimate attack combo' or something like that. No need to read anything into it. Just an otaku's rumbling.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 20:05   Link #993
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I don't think translating everything is going to help in Lucky Star's case. A lot of the jokes are otaku gags and it wouldn't really help newcomers when the punchline itself leaves them scratching their heads. I believe that a certain level of "otakuness" is somewhat required to start enjoying the show; otherwise many of the gags will just fly past the watcher.

Summary: Making LS readable for non-otaku is not gonna help at all.

PS. The amount of posts that are being made are just overwhelming. 5 pages in a few hours? @_@
*needs to catch up.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 20:46   Link #994
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

I was jsut wondering about the locker business... and I have another "reference" question for someone with more cultural knowledge than I have. At 13:34, what does the still frame of the pagodas mean? Or perhaps, since it seems to represent Kagami explaining Konata's visit... why is a pagoda used there?

Quote:
Original by Pellisier

Claimed and repped
For the moment I'm feeling more Randagio-like, so I'm not swapping out just yet, but I really want to keep that one. After just one ep I already feel a deep-down resonance with Miyuki. Not for the moe though (I *wish* I could be that moe), but for the wacky intellect floating around inside her head. Isn't being so smart kind of anti-moe though? Or perhaps... she really is the next step in moe evolution. Uber-cute and with brains too!
Old 2007-04-13, 20:49   Link #995
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
^I join this request; it has been bugging me since I watched it.
(PS: My dirty mind thought they were expecting, er, something else... Those familiar with H-Manga/H-Anime should know what do I mean)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I thought it was Minoru making a cameo before LSC, but I'm wondering if it's a reference to time travelers using the closet as a cover for their time traveling...

(but then again, it could be something else)

I'm with CrowKenobi here. I think it is a nod to the novel readers of SHnY. Volume-07 to be exact. I won't explain any further though.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-13, 21:00   Link #996
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You don't need to tell me twice as the harmless little anime production studio is the view I've held all along (don't know what went on last night with all that nonsense I posted) Try telling that to the bloggers though. Have you, have you ever been on an anime blog Billy. In order to enjoy anime blogs to the fullest it is usually best to discard ones sense of logic and judgement and then go in and read about the series. To date the only coherent blog post I've seen of Lucky Star has to be on Hop Step Jump (Though I frequently question Jeff's taste in a lot of the things he posts about). Skane posted it a little while back. On the others it's either stomping it into the ground or worshipping it because it reminds them of Haruhi or they are loyal to Kyoto Animation. Jeff seems to hold the only rationalized opinion on the series.
Ahh, good. I assumed most people these days have forgotten that a series should only be criticised in and of itself, so I apologise for being wrong. But as I've suggested before, perhaps you shouldn't be hanging around these audiences if the general discussion topic frustrates you so much?

Skane/Crow: Surely there has to be another series with such a scene? Not that I disagree it's likely a book 7 cameo (having read it myself), but...
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 22:09   Link #997
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
The rest seemed more on track though I've not had a chance to really listen carefully (trying to get something else finished I said I'd do for someone).
"wait a tick" actually works pretty well with the flavor and flow of "chotto matte"
"moe" vs "turn-on" ....... O.o maybe "super-cute"? or "cuddly"? .... its hard to describe moe in "five words or less" to fit into the conversational flow.
In the case of "wait a tick", like "curses", while technically correct, sound a bit off considering the tone of the rest of the translation. I'm not complaining, really, just expressing my amusement that it's not the first time they've appeared in an a.f.k. sub. Seems almost like a trademark.

I actually think that translating "moe" as "turn-on" (or some variation thereof) was an excellent hit in terms of an accurate translation. It just frequently has the added connotation of being directly sexual that "moe" doesn't, so it can change the tone of the scene.

I can't really fault any weird translations. There are so many things that just CAN'T be translated perfectly, and juggling multiple languages can put one's head into a linguistic pretzel! That's why I often don't notice, or occasionally prefer, translations that are closer to the Japanese but less natural in English, since what I'm hearing and what I'm reading aren't as different and I'm not constantly distracted by comparing and retranslating in my head.

That's really why I admire a.f.k.'s translations. It's quite a feat to be able to consistently translate accurately and naturally at the same time. I think that's also why I am perturbed when the translation is wrong in an a.f.k. sub: Because they do so much else so well, it really stands out when a mistake or an awkward moment slips in, much how a few scratches are expected on crummy Yugo, but a tiny scratch on a Ferrari is a tragedy.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:00   Link #998
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
Skane/Crow: Surely there has to be another series with such a scene? Not that I disagree it's likely a book 7 cameo (having read it myself), but...
Unless they're throwing a Doctor Who reference out of left field in there, I can't be sure what that implies. <shrugs shoulders>

...and celcius' post was #1000 for this thread.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:01   Link #999
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
I was jsut wondering about the locker business... and I have another "reference" question for someone with more cultural knowledge than I have. At 13:34, what does the still frame of the pagodas mean? Or perhaps, since it seems to represent Kagami explaining Konata's visit... why is a pagoda used there?
Ah... that one I can answer I think.... my interpretation for that cut to a Shinto Temple was that she had to appeal to the Shinto kami (gods) about Konata or that perhaps she was going to need to pray to them after the thoughts she had about Konata... or even that only the gods can figure Konata out.

Resorting to a temple in regard to Konata .. in a nutshell. The other similar cut scenes are also implicitly related to their situations though the connections are pretty absurd. They're almost a case of : "lets put this silliness in context with the big picture " kind of like those interesting noises that go with "Miu face down again" in Ichigo Masimaru - absurdity.

@Kyuusei: excellent metaphor for fansubs there.... thats one reason I cut SF so much slack as its their first time and they readily admit the tools are new to them. They need to figure out why the video quality dropped though or go back to releasing the subs with separate subtitle files. I understand that hardcoding subtitles without blasting the video quality can be tricky.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-13 at 23:50.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:15   Link #1000
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I'm another femaile watching highly amusing 20x better than azumanga everything better down to the music.

The dance is adorable and so are the words ^-^
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen