AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-20, 07:41   Link #1061
dasrune
smh

there is nothing logical about tearing out your younger brothers finger nails. torturing someone who comes to your land uninvited with the intent to hurt you or your loved ones i can accept because of the era they live in, but tearing out her brothers nails to teach him a lesson??
dasrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 08:59   Link #1062
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrune View Post
there is nothing logical about tearing out your younger brothers finger nails. torturing someone who comes to your land uninvited with the intent to hurt you or your loved ones i can accept because of the era they live in, but tearing out her brothers nails to teach him a lesson??
Her sense of normality is completely off. She said she's bad at interrogation but she does a fine job of intimidation. Her thought process probably involve seeing something she find as irritating, and she proceed to remove the irritation. She herself is in constant pain, maybe she thought, comparatively, having all your finger nails ripped off isn't so bad?
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 09:58   Link #1063
Sol Falling

lol, christ, can you imagine how traumatic that would have been for Shichika? I can just see Nanami slowly advancing as he scrambles away after she tears out the first few, telling him 'It's for your own good' and 'This is punishment for your bad habit' in her gentle child voice, finally catching up to him, her impassive eyes filled with the love of an elder sibling gazing upon his crying face, Shichika twisting and screaming as she proceeds to pick off the rest one by one.

God, Nanami is creepy.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 10:00   Link #1064
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
lol, christ, can you imagine how traumatic that would have been for Shichika?
No, but thank you for the vivid description.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 10:47   Link #1065
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Shichika's Dad didn't make him the successor because the sister was overpowered as it is; he he id it so that Shichika had a fighting chance against his sister. I doubt that Shichika would have survived on the island as long as he had without the No Sword technique
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 12:11   Link #1066
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You have to admit her "style" is actually her enormously terrifying dialog and tone of voice before she even strikes.

The goddess of all yandere ?
Old 2010-04-20, 12:23   Link #1067
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I love her now. She's my favorite type of character, or at least close to it. The sheer grin on her face made me shudder.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 12:31   Link #1068
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Inspired by a previous comment, I hereby petition the shows name be changed to one of the following:

Nanamigatari
Katananami
Kataneechan
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 12:37   Link #1069
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Almost forgot... again.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 13:38   Link #1070
dasrune
smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Her sense of normality is completely off. She said she's bad at interrogation but she does a fine job of intimidation. Her thought process probably involve seeing something she find as irritating, and she proceed to remove the irritation. She herself is in constant pain, maybe she thought, comparatively, having all your finger nails ripped off isn't so bad?
Her sense of normalcy is definitely off, however she wouldn't have torn out his nails if she didn't actually think it would prevent him from biting them in the future. She doesn't seem like the kind of person who does something that drastic for a temporary results.
Old 2010-04-20, 13:45   Link #1071
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Her sense of normalcy is definitely off, however she wouldn't have torn out his nails if she didn't actually think it would prevent him from biting them in the future. She doesn't seem like the kind of person who does something that drastic for a temporary results.
Oh really? She was going to torture the mantis guy even though she admitted to have a fairly good idea what was going on anyway.
Old 2010-04-20, 14:12   Link #1072
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
I said this as well, in so many words. This actually the most logical conclusion, and infact, even the torture was a logical move in their era. She has no authorities to go to, and just an unknown amount of people trying to kill her on an isolated island.
Yes and no. She clearly didn't care that much about getting answers, so she could have dispensed with the torture and just killed him quickly.

Then again, she didn't do much to torture him. Tearing off his nails was done to disarm him when he attacked her, not part of her interrogation. All she did was scare him and shove his nails into his mouth. And then she killed him. Unlikely to be covered by the Geneva convention under "ethical treatment of prisoners", but not that bad. As a comparison, Bee-guy wanted to cut her arms off.

Quote:
She may not have seen it as torture. Nothing worse than, say, a good spanking.

Quote:
lol, christ, can you imagine how traumatic that would have been for Shichika? I can just see Nanami slowly advancing as he scrambles away after she tears out the first few, telling him 'It's for your own good' and 'This is punishment for your bad habit' in her gentle child voice, finally catching up to him, her impassive eyes filled with the love of an elder sibling gazing upon his crying face, Shichika twisting and screaming as she proceeds to pick off the rest one by one.
I didn't picture it that way, actually. Considering she described it as a gesture of exasperation as much as anything else, I figure she just ripped them all in one go. Impossible for a normal human, sure, but she's Nanami.

Quote:
God, Nanami is creepy.
And yet, strangely attractive.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 15:06   Link #1073
dasrune
smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Oh really? She was going to torture the mantis guy even though she admitted to have a fairly good idea what was going on anyway.
you realize my comment was about her brother?
Old 2010-04-20, 16:11   Link #1074
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
you realize my comment was about her brother?
Huh? Yeah the first comment, but I wasn't addressing that.

I was addressing the your comments "She doesn't seem like the kind of person who does something that drastic for a temporary results."
Old 2010-04-20, 16:29   Link #1075
dasrune
smh

she said she had a pretty good idea of the situation, so it's not all that crazy for her to torture him to see if she can get anything else out of him that might be useful. do i think she got a little satisfaction from it? yeah, but all that proves is that she's sadistic. in the end she killed him and i'm not sure how that is a temporary solution, it keeps him from coming back and trying to kidnap her future.
Old 2010-04-20, 16:32   Link #1076
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I didn't picture it that way, actually. Considering she described it as a gesture of exasperation as much as anything else, I figure she just ripped them all in one go. Impossible for a normal human, sure, but she's Nanami.
All in one go, huh? That seems a bit unnecessarily convoluted/difficult to me, but indeed I won't argue that for Nanami it's possible. Still, given the understatement that "He's never bitten his nails since" I still prefer to imagine it as a fairly traumatic experience :P.

Quote:
And yet, strangely attractive.
Of course, that's a given.

edit:

On Nanami being a sadist: I'm actually not too sure of that yet. I mean, we did get those hair-raisingly twisted smiles, but those weren't directed particularly towards the pain she was inflicting. Actually I think, like Vexx brought up earlier, the more accurate description might be 'yandere'. It's not like Nanami's sweet nature hides any twisted motivations--it's more like that twistedness is directly part of her sweetness itself.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 16:33   Link #1077
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
All in one go, huh? That seems a bit unnecessarily convoluted/difficult to me, but indeed I won't argue that for Nanami it's possible. Still, given the understatement that "He's never bitten his nails since" I still prefer to imagine it as a fairly traumatic experience :P.
I don't think there's a way to make that not traumatic...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 20:37   Link #1078
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

You know what's ironic? How a few people on this board lamented at the end pf the first episode because Nanami was left all by herself.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 21:10   Link #1079
Unellmay

I get the feeling she may be a future antagonist

What do you guys think?
Unellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 21:17   Link #1080
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unellmay View Post
I get the feeling she may be a future antagonist

What do you guys think?
There's been a few posts in the last couple of pages that speculated on that idea (that the "boss battle" of the series might be Nanami). However, people who have read the novels might accidentally spill the beans in their excitement so I prefer to simply note the idea and wait to see what happens.

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy