AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-30, 18:05   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

SOTM 2008 - October (Music Related Objects!) - Entry Phase

!!!Welcome to the SOTM!!!

~Congratulations to Eps~ and escimo for winning the September Contest!~

The theme chosen for October is - Musical Related Objects!.
What is that? See here for details.

About the SOTM:
The Signature Of The Month contest is open to all members of the Animesuki Forums. The goal of the contest is to provide a fun and competitive way of showing off and improving the signatures and personal skills of contestants. The winner of each months contest is given the privilege of choosing the theme for the next month.

The contest begins on the first of each month and consists of roughly two weeks of entry creation/submission, one week of voting, and one week off. The entry and voting periods may be extended or shortened slightly as needed.

About the SOTM Theme:
Each month prospective contestants are given a theme to base their entries on. This theme is decided by the winner of the previous contest. The theme can be anything, as long as it does not break forum rules regarding inappropriate material. At the end of the month, voters choose which entries they liked best out of all submitted entries and a new winner is decided. Themes cannot be used twice in a row.

The Rules of the SOTM:

1. Contestants are allowed to create, work on, and submit their entry from the start of the contest until two weeks from the start date. This period of time is specified by the organizer every month. Once the entry period expires, all submitted entries are gathered up and sent to the Voting Thread.

2. Contestants must submit original works. This means you cannot simply cut a picture out, slap your name on it, and call it your own. Claiming someone else's work as your own is also not allowed. Anyone caught doing this will have their entries removed from the contest.

To further expand on this rule:
2A. Unless proven otherwise, all entries made by contestants are derivatives of works made by someone else. Thus, no claim of "ownership" shall be made in reference to the image(s) used in the signature entry.

2B. Misrepresenting someone else's signature work for your own is prohibited and will result in an immediate expulsion of the entry and disqualify the contestant from the current month's contest.

2C. In the spirit of originality, "crop" sigs are frowned upon, but not discouraged; however, the contest organizer can call upon all contestants to show the source of their entry(ies) at any time.

2D. Also in the spirit of originality, new signatures are encouraged. However, if you feel one of your older signatures is perfect for the theme and wish to enter it, you may. Just remember that the signature still has to follow the rules stated above.
3. Contestants are allowed to create as many entries as they wish, but are only allowed to enter one. To submit an entry officially, the contestant must mark the post in the Offical Entry Thread containing that entry with the words "Final Entry", or they can submit the signature to the contest organizer using the private message function.

4. Contestants who wish to keep their entries private until after the submission period can private message the contest organizer with their entry. The entry will not be displayed until submissions are closed, unless the contestant displays that entry publicly.

5. Entries must comply with Animesuki rules regarding signature size. This means each entry can be no larger than 500 x 160, and must be less than 50,000 bytes. They must also comply with forum decency rules. If you think your entry will be offensive or reported to the moderators, don't post it, even as a joke.

About the SOTM Entry Process:

Every month, a new entry thread is created. Each month's entry thread is a central spot meant to give contestants a chance to create and improve their entries as well as their skills, in addition to providing them a place to post their official submissions.
The thread is solely about helping contestants with entries, and as such these things will not be tolerated:
1. Nonconstructive and negative criticism (if you truly dislike something about an entry, be polite and helpful)

2. Comments, questions, or complaints about General SOTM affairs

3. Flaming, trolling, and other uncivil behavior that breaks Forum Rules
Anyone disrupting the thread will be asked to take it privately, to the SOTM Generic Discussion Thread, or if the offense is severe enough - reported to the moderators.

This Month's Entry Period::

This months entry period officially starts Wednesday, October 1st, 2008 and lasts until Friday, October 17th, 2008. Entries will be gathered and put up for voting on Sunday, October 19th, 2008. Voting will end on the following Sunday.

The due date ends at 11:59 (midnight basically) UTC/GMT. The polling will be up one day later after 11:59 (again, midnight). I will try to be as lenient as I can with last minute submissions but only slightly.

It is up to you as a contestant to know what your time zone is in relation to UTC/GMT. I cannot do this for you.

Here is a site that can help you figure that out: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_UTC.aspx

Good luck to all contestants, and most importantly, have fun!!!
Old 2008-09-30, 18:06   Link #2
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

**reserved**
Old 2008-09-30, 18:08   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

-News this Month-

This month there will be no extra weeks added onto the entry phase, unless there is a need for it. Should that happen I will change the dates accordingly. Best of luck!
Old 2008-09-30, 18:12   Link #4
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

So listening to music counts? Like wearing headphones cuz if so I have a perfect render in mind!!

nice theme!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-09-30, 18:19   Link #5
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

^ It should do I think,

Well this is just a rough draft I'm still making it different since the text is hard to read etc. so here is 1st plus another version

Version 1

Spoiler for Version 2 Darker:
Old 2008-09-30, 18:35   Link #6
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
So listening to music counts? Like wearing headphones cuz if so I have a perfect render in mind!!

nice theme!
Headphones are OK.

(Of course they can be used to listen to "inspirational" speeches by Margaret Thatcher as well as music, but it's a bit beyond the point of exclusivity I want to take it.)

Any object related to either producing or listening to music is OK, be that stereo equipment, instruments, batons etc. I'd allow even pen and paper if it's evident in the entry that they're used to write music.
Old 2008-09-30, 18:50   Link #7
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
Final entry
Best I can come up with =P

Last edited by LustfulEnvy; 2008-10-10 at 22:05.
Old 2008-09-30, 18:59   Link #8
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Woow nice theme.

Old 2008-09-30, 19:45   Link #9
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
very cool theme XD

hmmm this was the one I came up with

CC would be appreciated

EDIT:
the text can't be seen, changed color

Last edited by Frailty; 2008-09-30 at 20:01.
Old 2008-09-30, 20:37   Link #10
zSolaris
Don't forget your lunch!

Send a message via MSN to zSolaris
FINAL ENTRY

Last edited by zSolaris; 2008-10-13 at 06:03.
Old 2008-09-30, 21:39   Link #11
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Good to see some Kotomi entry drafts.
Old 2008-09-30, 21:44   Link #12
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

I'm predicting a large amount of Miku, not that I'm complaining.
Old 2008-09-30, 21:49   Link #13
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
I'm predicting a large amount of Miku, not that I'm complaining.
I got 2 Yukis and 3 Mikus to decide.
Old 2008-09-30, 21:50   Link #14
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSolaris View Post
Text is still a little tough to be seen. A very busy signature, indeed, however, I think it looks very nice.

also,

Hmm...I don't like this one as much as I did last months submission so I'll probably revamp a lot of it before I submit but here is a temporary submission. C&C please?
Since you had give me C&C,

I'd probaly take away that out glow around Kotomi since it's rather distracting on the left hand side. But on a second look I think it's from the background no? I'm not sure The musical notes are rather nice, but I think (don't mean to sound harsh) the moon *or whatever it is* seems to be a bit distracting for me. But then again I have a different eye remember? (the font colour issue )

Last edited by SweetHoney; 2008-09-30 at 22:21.
Old 2008-09-30, 22:00   Link #15
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
Sorry Stupid question, can I use a non-anime render (Even though its a anime site lol)? It'll still abide to the theme.
Old 2008-09-30, 22:01   Link #16
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHoney View Post
^ It should do I think,

Well this is just a rough draft I'm still making it different since the text is hard to read etc. so here is 1st plus another version

Version 1

Spoiler for Version 2 Darker:
I don't know, if we could focus the sig a bit more in the violin that would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Woow nice theme.
It's good yeah, the rounded border fix nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
very cool theme XD

hmmm this was the one I came up with

CC would be appreciated

EDIT:
the text can't be seen, changed color
I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSolaris View Post
also,

Hmm...I don't like this one as much as I did last months submission so I'll probably revamp a lot of it before I submit but here is a temporary submission. C&C please?
Hmmm... It looks good, but I know that you can improve it

PD:

First atempt

C & C would be really apreciated
Old 2008-09-30, 22:06   Link #17
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
First atempt

I see some white stuffs around the render and the animation is a bit fast.
Background looks ok and you could use some blending with your render.
Old 2008-09-30, 22:13   Link #18
The_Artist
Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
PD:

First atempt

Ask yourself. Is the animation really worth it?
Old 2008-09-30, 22:18   Link #19
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Artist View Post
Ask yourself. Is the animation really worth it?
Ask yourself. Should I learn how to use the splice tool?
Old 2008-09-30, 22:21   Link #20
The_Artist
Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Ask yourself. Should I learn how to use the splice tool?
Was that directed towards me? cause i don't get it :x
Closed Thread

Tags
sotm