AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-02-05, 22:21   Link #1
iceyfw

will downloading sp4 for wins 2000 affect irc and bt downloads?

so will dling service pack 4 affect bt and irc downloads? ive heard a lot of bad things about it for people who use bt and irc...
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 23:41   Link #2
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy
so will dling service pack 4 affect bt and irc downloads? ive heard a lot of bad things about it for people who use bt and irc...
Service pack 4... for windows 2000... and you don't have it installed? If your machine is not infected or hacked, I would be amazed. There is absolutely nothing bad with installing SP4 for W2K. (Infact, I have fixed problems on machines by installing it. It is amazing.) You are thinking of SP2 for XP which has the TCP/IP connection limit. So the answer is no. It won't affect a thing.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 23:50   Link #3
iceyfw

omg i love you. ill just take your word for it. and yes be amazed because ive been using wins 2000 for 6-8 months now w/o it
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 20:52   Link #4
Tursiops_G
Technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Service pack 4... for windows 2000... and you don't have it installed? If your machine is not infected or hacked, I would be amazed. There is absolutely nothing bad with installing SP4 for W2K. (Infact, I have fixed problems on machines by installing it. It is amazing.) You are thinking of SP2 for XP which has the TCP/IP connection limit. So the answer is no. It won't affect a thing.
FYI, There is a Patch to eliminate the TCP/IP Socket Connection limit in XP SP2... See here for more info: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

-Tursiops_G.
Tursiops_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 21:49   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tursiops_G
FYI, There is a Patch to eliminate the TCP/IP Socket Connection limit in XP SP2... See here for more info: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

-Tursiops_G.
Hm...I supposed you tried this on your XP box?
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 17:27   Link #6
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy
Win2000 SP4 does not affect BitTorrent and IRC like WinXP SP2 does*. The only reason I don't run BitTorrent clients on my Windows machine is because I need the CPU cycles and memory for other things (I use my Linux-based LAN server to do that, and it's a machine where real-time availability at a GUI doesn't matter (much)).

Oh, and blame Steve Gibson for Windows XP's broken stack in SP2.

--Ian.

* Correction. It doesn't at all.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote