AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-03-07, 16:36   Link #281
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
No, that was but one of many, many details, none of which were good

Spoiler:

I think... I'm probably gonna have to give this the Kannaduki-treatment: One of the best shows that I wish I never saw, and try to forget it all together.
I got the same impression.

Spoiler:

Shinkai! You're so cruel!

Kannaduki eh? I'm a sucker for this stuff I guess.
Old 2007-03-07, 18:06   Link #282
Saffire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
I got the same impression.

Spoiler:

Shinkai! You're so cruel!

Kannaduki eh? I'm a sucker for this stuff I guess.
If that's so, then I'll still watch it as well.. but I'm a sucker for at least somewhat happy endings. XDXD ESpecially when I've loved what I've seen so far anyway. Bytheway, aliensporebomb, what anime is the scene in your avatar from? I'm curious.
Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 20:23   Link #283
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Ah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffire View Post
If that's so, then I'll still watch it as well.. but I'm a sucker for at least somewhat happy endings. XDXD ESpecially when I've loved what I've seen so far anyway. Bytheway, aliensporebomb, what anime is the scene in your avatar from? I'm curious.
That was from Season I of Honey and Clover, another series with a curiously
ambiguous ending where the male protagonist didn't appear to get the girl.

I guess I'm a sucker for that stuff. It's really a very good series - the story
follows the lives of several college students at an art college.

Season II resolves (to most peoples satisfaction) the plot. I liked it, some
did not.

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 2007-03-07 at 20:34.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 22:36   Link #284
haku8645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Seeing that makes me wonder how awesome it would feel if I personally lived or worked or stood in the locales chosen and then saw them being animated, brought to life anew, by Shinkai. I've seen the same (ie real world vs animated) for KyoAni's series like TMoHS and Kanon, but I've never thought like this up to now. Only Shinkai. Seriously, it would just feel awesome.
Hi everyone. I was lurking on this thread reading about the film and I just got to Lost's post and I had to register to respond. I used to live in Shinjuku 13 months ago (one of the most incredible periods in my life) and I went to Shinjuku Station every night since it was only one stop south of my station (Shin-Okubo). Looking at that site with the photo comparisons is a harrowing experience, and watching that horrible quality fansub on Youtube is even more of one since I recognise so many of those places and I have stood right there and read those very same signs in the flesh. In particular, the photo of him standing at the top of the stairs looking down. I used to go down those stairs every morning on the way to Tokyo Soup Stock (if you've been to Tokyo, you know what I mean) for breakfast and to see him standing at the top, when I can picture what is next to him and behind him and remember that I met a nice lady from New York only a few steps away is an incredibly moving feeling.

The photo several below of the two platforms and track, with him on the right, was where I was standing when I rang my mother to let her know I was leaving and getting a flight back home, and when I told my landlady I'd left a few things in the house. He's standing there empty handed, whereas I was trying to carry every material thing I possessed. The next photo looking up (I think that's the back of Lumine although it might be one of the other stores like Odakyu) seems really trivial but if you ever go to Shinjuku Station to the JR platforms, your eyes are somehow drawn to that and it looks like Mr Shinkai realised that and put it in for anyone who's been there.

This seems like ranting and it's 3.30am right now and this has nothing to do with the discussion of the film but I wanted to get that off my chest because it's an intensely personal film for me to watch knowing that I can operate that ticket machine that he uses blindfolded, and having all those little details come flooding back in. Hope we get a chance to see the rest sooner rather than later. For those of you that missed that link, it's http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/r...b_news&main=hb
haku8645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 02:09   Link #285
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku8645 View Post
Hi everyone. I was lurking on this thread reading about the film and I just got to Lost's post and I had to register to respond. I used to live in Shinjuku 13 months ago (one of the most incredible periods in my life) and I went to Shinjuku Station every night since it was only one stop south of my station (Shin-Okubo). Looking at that site with the photo comparisons is a harrowing experience, and watching that horrible quality fansub on Youtube is even more of one since I recognise so many of those places and I have stood right there and read those very same signs in the flesh. In particular, the photo of him standing at the top of the stairs looking down. I used to go down those stairs every morning on the way to Tokyo Soup Stock (if you've been to Tokyo, you know what I mean) for breakfast and to see him standing at the top, when I can picture what is next to him and behind him and remember that I met a nice lady from New York only a few steps away is an incredibly moving feeling.

The photo several below of the two platforms and track, with him on the right, was where I was standing when I rang my mother to let her know I was leaving and getting a flight back home, and when I told my landlady I'd left a few things in the house. He's standing there empty handed, whereas I was trying to carry every material thing I possessed. The next photo looking up (I think that's the back of Lumine although it might be one of the other stores like Odakyu) seems really trivial but if you ever go to Shinjuku Station to the JR platforms, your eyes are somehow drawn to that and it looks like Mr Shinkai realised that and put it in for anyone who's been there.

This seems like ranting and it's 3.30am right now and this has nothing to do with the discussion of the film but I wanted to get that off my chest because it's an intensely personal film for me to watch knowing that I can operate that ticket machine that he uses blindfolded, and having all those little details come flooding back in. Hope we get a chance to see the rest sooner rather than later. For those of you that missed that link, it's http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/r...b_news&main=hb
I must say, thats pretty neat.
zoozoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 03:53   Link #286
Lost

Nice, very nice. It feels indescribably great doesn't it? Damn it it's incredibly emotional too. Sigh, I honestly wish I could be there. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 06:03   Link #287
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Nice to see that you guys calmed down.

AMVs can screw with your head after all. I still think that you won't know how it ends until you see the full version.

If you really think about it...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-08, 13:28   Link #288
aliensporebomb

Oh but it's a friendship now - one of those lifelong friendships.

My wife has male friends who she's known probably longer than she's
known me that are platonic (although I suspect at least one of them
wishes I'd drop dead or something) and most of them are married
themselves.

Friendships like that enrich lives.

Like Takaki, even though he's a cheerless, sad, burnt to a crisp
alcoholic of a man he can chat every now and again with his
what-was-going-to-be-promised girl and wonder what might
have been.

Sigh.
Old 2007-03-08, 15:51   Link #289
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I would like to offer an alternative view on the now common practice of using real life locations for anime series, of which we have just learned 5cm/sec is an example. Whilst there is undoubtedly a buzz when you discover that the location of a series such as 5cm/sec, Air, or Haruhi really exists, nevertheless for me it ultimately reduces the standing of the work.

I believe the animators’ motivation is simply to save time and money. Using a real-life setting saves on design costs, and tracing photographs of such a location saves on drawing costs too, specifically it deskills the work. And I think it’s clear from the exactness of match we see, right down to the small details, that animators are tracing photographs. That’s not to say that the renderings aren’t beautiful, but it does reduce the artistic skill involved. It could even be that whole scenes are (with the exception of the inserted 2D characters) being rotoscoped from video sequences. (Haruhi ep.00 has a fairly blatant example of this in the shopping mall, indeed it may be using reprocessed video and not animation at all).

Of course, artists have been working from camera images for centuries—it is now known that even before the invention of photography some artists were tracing images produced by camera obscuras, e.g. Dutch masters such as Vermeer achieved stunning Makoto Shinkai-like photorealism by this means. Nevertheless, one of the distinguishing features of the non-photographic arts is the ability to convey particular ideas, or evoke emotions, not only through the rendering but also by modifying the composition or selecting which elements to include. But such artistic concerns seem to be virtually absent in these ‘real life’ animes: everything we see in the photographs is slavishly rendered regardless of whether it contributes to the composition or mood. Nor do we see elements from different real life scenes being combined to synthesise a new location.

In the Shinkai examples on the comparison website, the only time he seems to deviate from the photographs is in the first scene, with the burgeoning cherry blossom above the wall where the scale and design of the wall has been changed, and the trees are much bigger—however re the latter point, it may simply be that the trees have been severly pruned in the meantime: although largely obscured by blossom, the ugly fence posts atop the wall in the photograph are in fact visible in his renderings. The only other example I could see was that a hanging penant outside a shop had a different design on it (a cat instead of a woman’s head) but again we don’t know for sure that the scene hadn’t changed by the time it was re-photographed.

This copying from real life brings up another issue: historical accuracy. The trains, ticket barriers, station decor, overhead LED platform indicators etc are of the era 2007, yet the anime is set in 1995. Perhaps the trains etc. have not changed in that time, but I wonder. It may be that by copying from modern photographs we have the answer to the dissonance expressed by so many viewers, ie. “why didn’t they use their cell-phones?” Perhaps if more attention had been put into recreating the period atmosphere with authentic props and decor these questions would not have arisen. (In this respect I would point to Kamichu, which although also apparently done from photographs includes many period details such as telephones with dials (or ‘real telephones’ as I like to call them ^_^), 1980’s sports bags (Adidas & Puma instead of Nike), and so on.)

Anyhow, having said all that, I do still think the end result of Shinkai’s work is quite awesome, however it was achieved. But I definitely disagree with the notion I have heard expressed in many places in respect of various anime series that the copying of real life locations is somehow an artistic achievement, IMHO apart from the initial ‘wow’ factor it reduces rather than increases the overall accomplishment.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 17:28   Link #290
xcxcxcc

i was about to watch the amv but after reading the comments about it i decided not to i tend to get emotional over sad endings damn now i really want so the last 2 episodes
xcxcxcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 18:49   Link #291
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcxcxcc View Post
i was about to watch the amv but after reading the comments about it i decided not to i tend to get emotional over sad endings damn now i really want so the last 2 episodes
Good decision, spare yourself, delay the inevitable until the last second. As the one who posted the link to the AMV however, I'm still holding a 1% hope that I'll be wrong about the whole apocalypse dooms-day scenario thing.

But it is a sign of desperation when your heart hopes against what your brain tells you, no?
Old 2007-03-08, 20:40   Link #292
xcxcxcc

just saw ep 1 with subs and now that i fully understand what they are saying i didnt like it as much as i liked when i saw the raw i think the movie was more about the animation and the pretty backgrounds than the characters and the story itself and the scene when they see each other in the trainstation wasn't as emotional as when i saw it for the first time i cant believe i almost...almost cried over something like this.

anyways i cant believe how much i can relate to the charcters in the story i have lived in 8 different contries already so i know wat they r going through
xcxcxcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 23:01   Link #293
Oneon

Ok I'm a little confused now. I've been waiting for this to come out for months(like most of us) and it seems to me that I'll have to wait longer for the rest of it to come out.

So is there a date for when the other 2 come out? And also, if its not too much to ask...I know guys on their first post usually get flamed for requesting, but does anyone know where I can get the "One more time, One more chance" song in the Byosoku 5 cm version? Its a really good song. Thanks in advanced.

Oh and since the story started before cell phone were made..I think its normal for someone to grow up and start drinking and smoking. I don't think smoking is considered a bad thing in Japan since SOO many of them do it anyways. Its a little shocking though that we see the male character(sorry not got the names yet) go from a inncoent kid in love ot a lonely smoking drinking adult. We don't realize it but seeing it being compared 30 minutes at a time is a little...depressing.

Edit => Nevermind, the first part was just shown on the main site. So I guess we'll have ot wait longer for the DVD comes out.

Last edited by Oneon; 2007-03-08 at 23:29.
Oneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 04:26   Link #294
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Strangely DatteBayo has just released their version of this show.

It is a retime of the Bikasuisho version with a few tweaks (like added notes and a better typesetting). Since they stole the script I guess I'm not adding it to our database. Or does anyone knows if Bikasuisho gave them permission to use their script?

Unfortunately it isn't easy to get answers to such a question about Bikasuisho in their channel. (I tried briefly.) Still, at least people here might want to try downloading it. The filename is weird, but it really is 5cm Oukashou.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 10:52   Link #295
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Strangely DatteBayo has just released their version of this show.

It is a retime of the Bikasuisho version with a few tweaks (like added notes and a better typesetting). Since they stole the script I guess I'm not adding it to our database. Or does anyone knows if Bikasuisho gave them permission to use their script?

Unfortunately it isn't easy to get answers to such a question about Bikasuisho in their channel. (I tried briefly.) Still, at least people here might want to try downloading it. The filename is weird, but it really is 5cm Oukashou.
Am I weird for saying that I was disappointed it wasn't actually a parody? I kept watching it thinking that Naruto and gang would appear suddenly.

Ah well.
Old 2007-03-09, 12:55   Link #296
Lost

^ DIE.

@Samatarou: It's not really a "wow he actually based it off real places"; that is taken forgranted in my viewpoint (after TMoHS and Kanon, that's a given). It's more of a "wow it feels awesome seeing these places I once stood in (well, if I did) given new life in a beautiful re-render", which IMO is significantly deeper than the former. But, yes I understand your technical points. Apart from its effects on historical accuracy, I do not agree with the rest of the points on the method degrading artistic skill involved - I think this method is a totally different street from creating one's own "sets" from scratch, so to speak. It seems easy to "copy" but on its own it requires as much skill to bring the scene to life as it does with an original composition.

Quote:
everything we see in the photographs is slavishly rendered regardless of whether it contributes to the composition or mood.
It contributes to realism. You don't for once question the plausibility of the scene (or the possibility of it existing) because it's so well reflects the real world. At the same time, Shinkai modifies it (e.g. by his manipulation of lighting) to give the mood/atmosphere he requires.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 13:35   Link #297
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Thank you everyone for spoiling that the ending is sad. I'm really grateful.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 15:14   Link #298
aliensporebomb

We don't know that the ending is sad.

There's only been one episode seen and one "video" on youtube with a
composite of scenes from the entire production with music from the movie.

The assumption could be made that the producer of the video did their best
to make you think that things would turn out badly - we don't know this to be
a fact at all.

In fact:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-09, 20:17   Link #299
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Makoto Shinkai = Sad endings (or at least somewhere in-between). It's a given.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 01:22   Link #300
Oneon

God this is depressing to think about what is going to happen. From the AMV I've freezed it at some parts. There a scene before the man flips his cellphone there a pic of him sleeping on his bed with two pillows. It looks like there someone sleeping on the other side. I can't tell but it looked like the shape of a women under the sheets. I'll give you more details on it when I re-watch it again.

But again, does anyone have the song on a file sharing site? I can find the original but I prefer this movie's version of One more time one more chance.
Oneon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai