AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-12, 18:19   Link #481
Gaiarth

Yes, there are a lot of Love Hotels in Japan. Tokyo has several areas where there are a lot of them. Some of them are pretty fancy too. If you are really stuck, they can even be a fairly reasonable alternative for overnight accomodation, compared to all but the cheapest business hotels.

A little review
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 22:13   Link #482
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
It's not as gross as other people have said it is,,, right? (Japanese Culture).
How do you classify an entire culture as "gross"? Not... comprehending...
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 01:00   Link #483
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidified View Post
question: Not really about the culture...but I heard there are alot of "love hotels" in japan, mainly in the big cities. is this true?

im just asking
Well.... they're pretty damn useful because otherwise you'd have to not be bothered that your parents, the neighbors, the kids, and the vendor on the street all get to hear your love-making noises ... because the walls are thin and you have to share an apartment or boarding house with other families.

Love Hotels serve a *vital* purpose in providing getaways, quiet places for fun and frolic. Its becoming more common for a single individual to rent them just to have a quiet place to reflect (particularly with the themed room hotels).

As far as the sex, you just have to pack up any cultural baggage you have and put it away. This is Japan, not Kansas...
Old 2008-01-13, 01:42   Link #484
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As far as the sex, you just have to pack up any cultural baggage you have and put it away. This is Japan, not Kansas...
Does that mean no rules?
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 03:09   Link #485
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
Does that mean no rules?
Hardly. As human beings we tend to form relationships with our mates due to the way we're wired, and (directly and indirectly) that is going to result in some "rules" no matter what culture you're in. Now, Japan has had some, uh, interesting customs compared to the western world, but no matter how wild some segments of the population get, there are still "rules".

"Less baggage about sex" doesn't mean free love or complete openness about sexuality. It means there's less prejudice and unnecessary shame over this completely natural part of the human experience.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 14:47   Link #486
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Haha, wow. What great discussions XD.
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 16:15   Link #487
Poemi-chan
Puni Puni Kobayashi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidified
question: Not really about the culture...but I heard there are alot of "love hotels" in japan, mainly in the big cities. is this true?

im just asking
Well.... they're pretty damn useful because otherwise you'd have to not be bothered that your parents, the neighbors, the kids, and the vendor on the street all get to hear your love-making noises ... because the walls are thin and you have to share an apartment or boarding house with other families.

Love Hotels serve a *vital* purpose in providing getaways, quiet places for fun and frolic. Its becoming more common for a single individual to rent them just to have a quiet place to reflect (particularly with the themed room hotels).

Come on! How is this really any different from a teenage couple paying for a hotel room to get some private time?? We basically have the same thing, it's just referred to differently! Geez, people get so judgemental just from the way things are worded. You should really read an article called "Nacirema". It'll give you a wider perspective on Western culture.
Old 2008-01-13, 17:52   Link #488
JustInn14
moo

Red face zzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
How do you classify an entire culture as "gross"? Not... comprehending...
erhm, I should have said, what is it generally like over. My mistake.. But the
Spoiler for sicko crud.:
crap isn't true... Right? That's all.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 17:55   Link #489
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
erhm, I should have said, what is it generally like over. My mistake.. But the
Spoiler for sicko crud.:
crap isn't true... Right? That's all.
Please tell me you are joking...
Old 2008-01-13, 18:01   Link #490
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Well.... you do have to keep in mind that stuff like rape on public transportation happens a lot...
Old 2008-01-13, 18:02   Link #491
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Well.... you do have to keep in mind that stuff like rape on public transportation happens a lot...
That would be molestation, which is quite far from rape IMHO.
Old 2008-01-13, 18:42   Link #492
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
And "happening a lot" can in no way be assumed to have any implication of acceptability.

There is something very wrong with this line of questioning.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 20:25   Link #493
Tri-ring

Quote:

Unless your talking about groping, I have never heard of actual rape on a train.
It's pretty hard to initiate forced s0x with alot of spectators standing right next to you.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 21:38   Link #494
JustInn14
moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Eh, I was merely asking this, in case, this was somehow related into Japan's Culture. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 2008-01-13, 21:52   Link #495
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... "rape is like a handshake" didn't score you any karma points because even by just making such an inane statement - it becomes difficult to not think you're trolling.

What I meant back up there about Kansas and Japan wasn't that Japan didn't have its own set of taboos and cultural values, only that they are different.

... just that *assuming* that the values in your neighborhood are the "only way things should be run" and that right-thinking people naturally think the same way ... is a bad assumption.

As far as public transport goes... groping in the tightly packed trains does occur and its an abuse of the 'polite culture' ... fortunately, the women (and the more civic-minded men) are starting to not put up with it anymore (hence the more frequent reports of capture).
Old 2008-01-14, 02:50   Link #496
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just to hopefully get this thread back into more productive directions (?), anyone know if "travel shows" are popular in Japan? Everyone knows the stereotypical pack of camera-toting japanese... but did they watch the Japanese equivalent of Globe Trekker or Rick Steves (and is there such a thing?) before they went traveling?

I've seen game shows, news, sport.. but I can't remember seeing a travel show.
Old 2008-01-14, 07:56   Link #497
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Just to hopefully get this thread back into more productive directions (?), anyone know if "travel shows" are popular in Japan? Everyone knows the stereotypical pack of camera-toting japanese... but did they watch the Japanese equivalent of Globe Trekker or Rick Steves (and is there such a thing?) before they went traveling?

I've seen game shows, news, sport.. but I can't remember seeing a travel show.
There were such shows, but I'm not current on Japanese television these days (except for anime ).

The last one I saw was like 7 years ago >_>
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 09:01   Link #498
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Every so often I go downstairs to watch TV (it's fascinating here, let me tell you!) and one of the few local channels this quiet little countryside has features a travel segment every so often. The last episode I saw was on Sweden, and the hosts talked about the food, laws, the people, and the snow(!) there.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 10:05   Link #499
JustInn14
moo

I've seen a couple clips of some Japanese Game Shows.
Old 2008-01-17, 01:54   Link #500
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
but did they watch the Japanese equivalent of Globe Trekker or Rick Steves (and is there such a thing?) before they went traveling?
I sometimes use NHK (TV Japan, the name they use on the listings here) as a background distraction (since they show scenes from rural regions a lot), and I remember seeing shows on traveling abroad. But, I don't think they were as extensive as the PBS show you mentioned. And, since I don't follow that channel regularly, maybe they were just coincidental short-term programs. If you want to check the recent program list, try this site. Maybe you can find more information on such programs there.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture