AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2013-02-16, 18:08   Link #7481
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Anyway, leaving that aside, let me ask you a simple question. You oppose the canonicity of the Sheryl x Alto pairing, because, as far as I can see, you want the Alto x Ranka pairing. However, past conversations have brought to the fore that you actively dislike Alto.

Why do you want Ranka, your favorite character from the show, to end up with a guy you actively dislike? I at the very least have the excuse that Sheryl and Alto are my favorite characters in anime ever. And that I think that they suit each other perfectly. So, if you think Alto sucks as a character, why do you want Ranka to have him? So that she "wins"?
I dislike things that Alto has done. There is a difference between disliking a character and disliking his or her actions. I've also stated before how I disliked things that Sheryl did too.
Disliking a character is also different than hating them. They can have good moments where you really love them and sections where you almost hate them, it is a spontaneous thing.
However, I have never hated Alto. His best sides were always shown with Ranka - be a caring, loving person, sharing a dream with someone else, and accepting their flaws - whereas he could be entirely the opposite with Sheryl - putting on a mask and being defensive for literally no reason at times. A woman who brings out the worst in a man is not someone he should be with. That is why Ranka should be with him. She brought out his pure smile, his true light, and made him happy despite her flaws. And, in respect, he did the same for her. She shined best whilst doing things for him (for example, the concert on Galia 4, a birthday present to Alto; and, for Alto, the talk at Griffith Park where she sings for him and later accepts his - and his mother's - dream to fly). They both got things from one another.
Sheryl may inspire Alto but as far as I am concerned, I never saw anything that pointed towards Alto having romantic feelings for Sheryl. Since the story tended to focus on the girls' feelings more, it is safe to say that Sheryl did in fact develop feelings for Alto. However, if that love is one-sided - as it appears in my point of view - I hardly believe their intention was to set the two up. Personally, I would believe it more had they set it up where Alto was a little more proactive about her from the start rather than being proactive with Ranka. He never showed an interest in Sheryl romantically. Sexually, yes; friendship-wise, yes; but not romantically. You can care about someone being ill without loving them as a soul mate.

By the way, if we continue this discussion, let's move it to the Romance Thread since we're in the wrong one for such a discussion.
Old 2013-02-17, 00:25   Link #7482
Syaokura

To think a picture I posted would start this kerfluffle. My bad, you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
That isn't an official wedding pic because she is wearing her Kindan no Elixir outfit. It is a poster to attract everyone to Sayonara no Tsubasa.
... And? Nobody cares. I just want a larger version of it.
Syaokura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 02:19   Link #7483
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaokura View Post
To think a picture I posted would start this kerfluffle. My bad, you guys.
No, no; Magnus and I still like to discuss it. We keep Frontier alive that way.
Old 2013-02-17, 03:32   Link #7484
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I dislike things that Alto has done. There is a difference between disliking a character and disliking his or her actions. I've also stated before how I disliked things that Sheryl did too.
Disliking a character is also different than hating them. They can have good moments where you really love them and sections where you almost hate them, it is a spontaneous thing.
However, I have never hated Alto. His best sides were always shown with Ranka - be a caring, loving person, sharing a dream with someone else, and accepting their flaws - whereas he could be entirely the opposite with Sheryl - putting on a mask and being defensive for literally no reason at times. A woman who brings out the worst in a man is not someone he should be with. That is why Ranka should be with him. She brought out his pure smile, his true light, and made him happy despite her flaws. And, in respect, he did the same for her. She shined best whilst doing things for him (for example, the concert on Galia 4, a birthday present to Alto; and, for Alto, the talk at Griffith Park where she sings for him and later accepts his - and his mother's - dream to fly). They both got things from one another.
Sheryl may inspire Alto but as far as I am concerned, I never saw anything that pointed towards Alto having romantic feelings for Sheryl. Since the story tended to focus on the girls' feelings more, it is safe to say that Sheryl did in fact develop feelings for Alto. However, if that love is one-sided - as it appears in my point of view - I hardly believe their intention was to set the two up. Personally, I would believe it more had they set it up where Alto was a little more proactive about her from the start rather than being proactive with Ranka. He never showed an interest in Sheryl romantically. Sexually, yes; friendship-wise, yes; but not romantically. You can care about someone being ill without loving them as a soul mate.

By the way, if we continue this discussion, let's move it to the Romance Thread since we're in the wrong one for such a discussion.
Alright, fair enough. We don't have to continue much, the other aspects have been hashed out again and again, so I'll let it lie here. I've just been wondering about that, you are far from the first Ranka fan on this board who has expressed ( more or less ) severe reservations against Alto, so it has always been a question for me why you guys want him so much to be with Ranka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaokura View Post
To think a picture I posted would start this kerfluffle. My bad, you guys.:
Nah, nobody is having major bad feelings here, it was just a curious question of mine. No kerfluffling of any kind going on.
Old 2013-02-17, 05:25   Link #7485
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Alright, fair enough. We don't have to continue much, the other aspects have been hashed out again and again, so I'll let it lie here. I've just been wondering about that, you are far from the first Ranka fan on this board who has expressed ( more or less ) severe reservations against Alto, so it has always been a question for me why you guys want him so much to be with Ranka.
Others may have a different reply though. We each have different impressions of the character. Personally, I've never found a reason to kill a character for being with the wrong girl. Hating a character is far enough. However, since I have neither desire, I am one of those neutral people.
As an answer to your pairing question: I don't like sibling relationships turned into love. I am not into incest. It is a whole story of having been close to my half-brother who I rarely saw and died from dialysis. So unless there was a third romantic interest, like Michael, there is no path but Alto.
Still, I like him especially more than her biological brother. For one, he expressions emotions.

Quote:
Nah, nobody is having major bad feelings here, it was just a curious question of mine. No kerfluffling of any kind going on.
IKR?
We're having a civil conversation. Geez. No one can allow that, huh?
Old 2013-02-17, 21:42   Link #7486
triangler_fans1
MAMEGU fan

This is Image Thread, please!
triangler_fans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 22:06   Link #7487
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Yes this is the Image Thread so lets post images not argue. Any further off topic will be deleted.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 03:41   Link #7488
Animehost

Quote:
So, after looking for about two hours for that particular image from the Kiss in the Galaxy manga, Sheryl and Alto on their wedding day, I have come to the depressing conclusion that nobody has scanned it. I guess it is just wedged really badly into the manga book and people fear damaging their book.

I still hope someone will scan that one wedding image ( although the other ones in the manga also sound sweet ).
Would you mind sharing more information with regard to this "wedding picture" you've been talking about in "the kiss" manga? Do you have a thumbnail of the image or ? I would like to see if i could help.
Animehost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 05:01   Link #7489
magnuskn

I got it by now, thanks.
Old 2013-02-19, 07:28   Link #7490
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Old 2013-02-19, 10:01   Link #7491
magnuskn

Thanks for posting them, Matts, I didn't want to do it without your permission.
Old 2013-02-19, 10:27   Link #7492
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

& here I thought Matts would post the high-resolution images. Does anyone mind if I do?
Old 2013-02-19, 10:37   Link #7493
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

There are larger ones? Hm, maybe mine got saved in lower. Oh well. Sure, go ahead.
Old 2013-02-19, 11:57   Link #7494
magnuskn

If there's even better resolution, I'd love to have it.
Old 2013-02-19, 22:12   Link #7495
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Damn, I lost the final wedding picture in my computer shuffle. Don't worry, I'll keep looking for it on my hard drive.

Here are a few in the meantime:

I wasn't talking high resolution like the posters though. I meant the manga pages. The posters are perfect size.
Old 2013-02-20, 02:16   Link #7496
magnuskn

Ah, thanks. I mainly was looking for the one poster. But the version I got now makes a beautiful desktop background.
Old 2013-02-20, 02:22   Link #7497
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Holy--! My fangirly feelings are back!!!
Old 2013-02-20, 05:34   Link #7498
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Glad I could help even in a small way.
Old 2013-02-21, 10:42   Link #7499
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Macross Frontier Official Creator's Magazine Nyan-Cretto File 3

Spoiler for Sorry for the quality, scanning would ruin the book:

Files 1-2 are stuck in customs hell, so I'll get back to those whenever I get them. I'll try taking better pictures of these too. Eventually. ...
Old 2013-02-21, 10:59   Link #7500
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

OMG, my fangirl side woke up at the cute pictures of Ranka. Thanks for the pics, Matts. XD

Tags
images, macross