AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-03-13, 21:58   Link #361
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Always a balancing act, isn't it? Giving each character a life and story of their own. I for one have appreciated how Shimada has been given his spotlight because, in this story, I think, it makes sense to show the culture that gives rise to characters like him - and not just from the perspective of how what shaped Shimada reflects on Rei, though that mentor/apprenticeship too is part of their life.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-13, 22:26   Link #362
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It saddens me that unless we get a season 2, we'll never reach the story arcs dedicated to the girls.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-14, 22:55   Link #363
Alf

Well, it's NHK so the hope for 2nd season is higher than usual.

Personally I like Shimada's arc very much as it opens up a lot more options in life for Rei, with Shimada himself makes a very good example of a way of life, and it finally showing life can be even more. This is especially tasty when Rakugo is dealing with death at the same time.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-15, 03:40   Link #364
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Episodes 6-14: Holy cow, what a rollercoaster. From exploring Rei's background, we move on to Rei trying to improve himself both as a person and a professional shogi player. The competitive really is the same everywhere—pros get into slumps, they make fatal mistakes, and sometimes they face challenges that derail them from the gameplay style they had adopted in their career. And of course, they also see a rival in other players but they become unable to fight them in the higher echelons of competition.

But Kyouko, holy shit. Being compared to lightning that beckons storms is a perfect fit. She really is poisonous for more reasons than one. But honestly I don't think she'd hold a candle to Akari as soon as she wears her elegant host outfit.

Episodes 15-17: Kyouko remains to be an interesting character. Her love-hate relationship with Rei was like two monsters seeking refuge in each other's presence. Meanwhile, Shimada is fun to watch, from his rivalry with Gotou, his realistic reactions to the win and the rise to the title match, and his mentorship over Rei, Nikaidou and the other guy. I do hope that Rei can find time to spend with Hina and her sisters. Kyouko has warned him about it; his pursuit of his dream is making him choose selfish decisions.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2017-03-15 at 21:14.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-15, 06:31   Link #365
Ulin

I really hope they announce a 2d season soon enough, because I don't know if I will be able to stay away from the manga. I want to know how it continues but I usually get lazy with an anime once I've read the manga

Anyway, this episode was pretty heartwarming, and was very necessary especially for Shimada. Maybe this way he can lift some of the weight from his shoulders and take the next time he gets to a title much easier.
The second part was delicius, especially the ending with Hina's call I guess most of us are sold in the HinaxRei ship now
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-16, 02:29   Link #366
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Episodes 18-21: It's kinda interesting that while most of the Shishio Tourney is between Master Souya and Shimada, there are still some adequate character development for Rei. Here, we somehow catch a glimpse of what could have been a good parental/mentor-student relationship between Shimada and Rei. I mean, when was the last time that Rei actually prepared food for someone else? With Rei's distance with Mr. Kouda and the one-way dedication of Akari and the others, it's quite a surprise.

Too bad that Shimada lost against Souya, but he remained doubtful of himself throughout the match. It's kinda like when Rei lost against Shimada. Instead of focusing on the match itself, both players focused on what's ahead too much (Rei was preparing for Gotou while Shimada was anticipating the Yamagata match), and the contrast begins with Shimada constantly thinking of whether he would be able to bring pride to his hometown while Rei was thinking of nothing else but beating the shit out of Gotou in shogi.

Fortunately, the homecoming in Yamagata helped both Rei and Shimada to get back on one's feet and move forward.

So with one episode to go and much more content to adapt, will they be able to close this series on a conclusive note? I'm kinda worried that sequel hooks might show up and it might not be followed through. I loved the approach to character development in the series and I cannot let it be "resolved" in a cliffhanger.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention how Shimada LOVED his hometown to the point of doing all those things to the community. It's almost unfair that he met such a fate after all his efforts in climbing to 8th-dan, but alas, the winner takes it all.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2017-03-18, 09:36   Link #367
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Well, it's NHK so the hope for 2nd season is higher than usual.
Confirmed. October, 2017.

Spoiler:
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 14:22   Link #368
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Confirmed. October, 2017.

Spoiler:
Wow. Can't wait!
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 18:04   Link #369
leongsh
Daijoubu!

The end of Episode 22 cries out for a tie-in to the anime music video that Bump of Chicken did for the manga way back before an anime adaptation was announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCWbfjf8Tw
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 19:51   Link #370
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Seeing "Fighter" get its spot in the adaptation gave the same feeling of fulfillment as when Kokoro Palette played in Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru.

Anyway, still gathering my thoughts, so this is all for now.

EDIT: I just realized... NHK is the last entity to not give this a second season. They are, after all, the organizers of the NHK Cup. This is helping them in many ways than one.

Old 2017-03-18, 21:24   Link #371
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a very nice ending kind of feel bad for Rei being all alone and no one wants to sit with him

7/10 cant wait for season 2
Old 2017-03-19, 08:17   Link #372
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 22:
Well, seems that Rei Kiriyama got a club to play shogi and do scientific experiments at the same time. Glad that he's not always alone at school!

Still, glad that it's over and Studio Shaft did a great job on this series. Can't wait for Season 2!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 09:43   Link #373
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I really feel they missed an opportunity. He could have joined that club last year, after he went there for his report. It would have been good for him. Oh, well, he's there now.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 10:28   Link #374
Boukenxha

Owe it to Hayashida sensei to open up another road for Rei and nice to see the experience following Shimada to his hometown had leave a mark on Rei too.

Great show, can't wait for the next season to get here!!!
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 10:44   Link #375
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

All I have to say is that I can't wait for the next season. This has been one of the best series of the year.
Old 2017-03-19, 14:47   Link #376
Wandering Soul

Wonderful way to wrap things up for now. Reinforced just how much of a positive influence Hayashida is on Rei. It also showed just how much of a mark he along with Rei's other experiences and companions left on him.

Can't wait for season 2.
Old 2017-03-19, 15:55   Link #377
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
The end of Episode 22 cries out for a tie-in to the anime music video that Bump of Chicken did for the manga way back before an anime adaptation was announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCWbfjf8Tw
Slight spoiler in that music video. Shows a scene we almost reached.

I hope that spot at the end of the video where Rei and Hinata are looking over the bridge and Hinata disappears isn't meant to suggest anything. If Umino-sensei does something like that I'll be very angry.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 19:38   Link #378
HandofFate

the students were talking about how he was one year older.
then the teacher mentioned him barely passing it due to circumstances
so did he make attendance or not?
Old 2017-03-19, 20:37   Link #379
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

No freakin Kawamotos in the finale? god, kill me
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-19, 20:56   Link #380
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

We be getting more Kawamotos in the 2nd season. Lota lots more.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, seinen, shogi