AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

View Poll Results: Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero Season 1 - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 1 7.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 21.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 28.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 21.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2019-06-29, 08:45   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero Season 1- Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2019-06-29, 10:02   Link #2
magnuskn

Overall this was a really fun series, with pretty solid worldbuilding and great characters. It did have some downfalls (the much lambasted pope fight and how stupid the other three heroes were at times), but Naofumi had a good arc as the main protagonist, as did Raphatalia. Filo and Melty were more along the ride for emotional support and comic relief, but I am quite happy how they turned out as well.

The writers stuck the landing as well, which along with the good animation quality throughout and the excellent score gives this a 9/10 out of me (probably rather a 8.5/10, but the rating system here doesn't allow such nuance).

I have hopes for a second season, since I've heard that the light novel has already produced so many volumes that we could feasibly get two or three more full old-school 25 episode seasons out of this. Fingers crossed!
Old 2019-06-30, 07:15   Link #3
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
Up until the last episode, I would have gladly rated the anime a 9. For the most part aside from Naofumi's cynical tendencies, the anime was mostly faithful.

Against better judgment, I'm going to hold an overall rating until I hear word of a second season or not. One does not simply skip 4 volumes of material, including the most impactful arc of the series. That honestly pissed me off more than the Pope fight being a little subpar.

Basically my thinking is this.

Second season confirmed = 7/10
No second season = 5/10.

That's how incredibly stupid the decision to write the last episode as it was felt to me.
Old 2019-06-30, 10:29   Link #4
The Green One

I think people are getting way too bent out of shape of the supposed "skipping" of four volumes worth of material. One single plot point was reshuffled in the timeline to provide a more definitive stopping point.

IF a second season happens and the "skipped" material actually is ignored then I would agree with the criticism, but until that actually happens I'd call this overreacting.
Old 2019-06-30, 12:08   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Agreed. Plenty of series move specific plot points around, and lots of them just pull certain parts forward or push them backward, but still include pretty much everything. Especially at the end of a season. I remember in March Comes In Like a Lion's first season the last episode was from a chapter far later in the story, and it was understandable since it made a more satisfying conclusion. And Lion is a series that never deviated from the original content, not even one line except to add a little bit of elaboration here and there. Only other change I recall was at the end of the second season where they cut out a brief conversation concerning the relationship between the two lead characters, again understandable since this would raise questions that were key to the next arc. If the animators and producers felt that pulling these points forward would create a more satisfying conclusion or that it was preferable to a path that would leave more than a cliffhanger then so be it.
Old 2019-07-01, 10:33   Link #6
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I think people are getting way too bent out of shape of the supposed "skipping" of four volumes worth of material. One single plot point was reshuffled in the timeline to provide a more definitive stopping point.

IF a second season happens and the "skipped" material actually is ignored then I would agree with the criticism, but until that actually happens I'd call this overreacting.
As a WN reader the points they skipped are not even important, even if they end up skipping them it does not really detract from the series.
Old 2019-07-01, 14:55   Link #7
Twi

If they had 4 volumes worth of materials that could be skipped and not missed, it'd be a problem for entirely different reasons. But if they skipped the current arc in the manga, which is kind of important for a number of reasons, then that's not really something that can be let go.
Old 2019-07-01, 22:29   Link #8
The Green One

But they didn't skip it. They just reshuffled an event. If and when a 2nd season pops up with those events actually skipped can it be called that and not a minute before.
Old 2019-07-02, 08:53   Link #9
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
But they didn't skip it. They just reshuffled an event. If and when a 2nd season pops up with those events actually skipped can it be called that and not a minute before.
oh you mean the T arc, I tought you meant the events with fue , motoyasu and in general the calmira arc. yeah they can do the T arc next.
Old 2019-07-06, 19:24   Link #10
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

It was enjoyable enough despite some changes.
Where's my s2 announcement? You can't tease me like that?