AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-05-03, 03:28   Link #41
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

This might be a small, and perhaps irrelevant, point, but using another works's OP/ED might be in breach of copyright. It might never get noticed, but just to be careful with it.

An original intro would be better, IMO. I'm sure someone on AS has talent in that area. Involves the community more, as well.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 03:40   Link #42
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
This might be a small, and perhaps irrelevant, point, but using another works's OP/ED might be in breach of copyright. It might never get noticed, but just to be careful with it.

An original intro would be better, IMO. I'm sure someone on AS has talent in that area. Involves the community more, as well.
Yeah, it's a bit disappointing but using an anime OP/ED is kinda risky.
Old 2012-05-03, 04:11   Link #43
Fahd
* >/dev/null

To add to some of the advice being given I'd recommend watching this Youtube video on setting up a podcast. It's not completely relevant as it deals with both video & audio podcasts, but the host raises some questions that you guys might want to think about.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

He (& his co-hosts) have been putting out ~4-6 shows per week for a few years now, so there should be some nuggets of wisdom in there .

--edit--

I forgot to write the most important thing (): Best of luck setting this up and getting it running .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 09:47   Link #44
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I thought copyright only applied if we start to make money out of it?

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 09:51   Link #45
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Ofcourse not, one need only hazard a gander around Youtube to see.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:53   Link #46
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

How about an intro song of intros? Mixing a bunch of intros together, that shouldn't count as copyright? Same for the ED?

Niker

EDIT: I've been thinking and we could easily add a section for good fanfictions about some shows, if only to help upcoming authors with their fanfictions, as well as garner interest on an area that is not often looked at.

Last edited by Arturia Polaris; 2012-05-03 at 10:01. Reason: Adding
Old 2012-05-03, 10:03   Link #47
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Oh sure that would be great--just the title, author, series name, and link would be enough.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:23   Link #48
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
How about an intro song of intros? Mixing a bunch of intros together, that shouldn't count as copyright? Same for the ED?

Niker
I got an infraction on youtube once for having a video uploaded that was made up from multiple opening songs. However i did see other people who did not have their videos removed that had anime songs in it, so it depends if either someone reports you or the company that owns that song finds it.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 11:11   Link #49
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Infractions seem to apply when you directly place copyrighted content on something "as is" without the consent of the owner. Should one edit the content in a way that makes it their own, copyright no longer applies (which is why covers and stuff stay on YouTube). So having a look, putting together a bunch of shortened intros would probably work, but that also depends on how natural you can make it sound.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:24   Link #50
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Infractions seem to apply when you directly place copyrighted content on something "as is" without the consent of the owner. Should one edit the content in a way that makes it their own, copyright no longer applies (which is why covers and stuff stay on YouTube). So having a look, putting together a bunch of shortened intros would probably work, but that also depends on how natural you can make it sound.
According to the youtube video called "youtube copyright school" that i was forced to watch after getting an infraction, it clearly said: "Mashups or Remixes of content may also require permission of the original copyright owner depending on whatever the use is fair use or not "
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 11:32   Link #51
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

"May also require permission" ?

They shot you down on such ambiguous ground?

Old 2012-05-03, 11:38   Link #52
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Animesuki is different from Youtube. This site hosts torrents for complete freaking episodes of anime, so I can't see a problem with using an OP song in a podcast related to this site. Just don't upload it on Youtube.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 11:45   Link #53
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

The internet's the internet and the law is the law. My guess is that AnimeSuki's torrents are validated for release as it only seems to deal with series that aren't currently licensed and a few that can be risked without worries. Here's the article on it, which I recently skimmed through.

Last thing you want is to set everything up and then have it pulled, so do be careful is all I'm saying.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:26   Link #54
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
This site hosts torrents for complete freaking episodes ...
Technically we don't host, we link to those who do. Use of the OP/ED music would have to work within the bounds of fair use, possibly requiring the track to be cut short (or at least based on the "TV-SIZE" versions used on the show itself) and possibly ensure the content of the pod cast was such that using the music was relevant (i.e. use show A's OP music, talk about show A in the pod cast).
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
... My guess is that AnimeSuki's torrents are validated for release...
Validated in as much as we don't list (at least not deliberately) shows that are licensed or generally available in English.

The only real hurdle with this, as I see it, is getting people to actually participate. You might be surprised by the number of times we've mooted community ideas for them to be shrugged off or fizzle out because people don't have the time or motivation to run them or even contribute to them. If you're going to start a pod cast, make sure you've got the backing of dedicated people who are interested in contributing. As many people as possible.

As for the "official" status of such an endeavour, I too would be interested to see it orchestrated from the forum in an unofficial capacity first, as relentless and others have intimated. That way we can monitor it and maybe make it official one day. The staff would have to collectively agree, and the final arbiter would be GHDpro as always.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 12:49   Link #55
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I am currently working on gathering people interested, I'll be working on gathering a bunch of people interested (I am currently working on it tbh)

Once we get a fairly big enough crew, we'll be working on the cast.

Niker