AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-08, 08:30   Link #981
evil_kenshin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
He's going to become sakura/rukia of the story, yeah*. I stand by my position, he's going to win a few fights against Yomas at first to show how good he's become, then the real fights will roll in and he'll be a dead weight getting constantly saved by others, like a Galk/Sid v2.

*Except he, unlike them, does not have the physical possibility to become uber, since he doesn't have a superhuman body/senses/powers/size/chakra/whatever, but only human speed/strength and skill and no way to improve it over the threshold without getting yoma flesh.
you presume, not confirmed. We still know zilch about why he is that good, keep in mind he was able to move so fast the villagers didn't even realize he'd moved from his spot (they were still staring at where he was standing quiet a distance away) to he had sliced the arm off the yoma

theres no human in the world who can move that fast, even in the claymore world
evil_kenshin is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 08:45   Link #982
Flar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Of course I presume. You do it too. What did you think we were doing when speculating?

I say he is human because he doesn't seem to be able to sense Yoki, and characters can move as fast as the mangaka wishes them to move. It's not that rare to have swordsmen move that fast in shonen fighting mangas.
Flar is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 08:46   Link #983
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
The Yoma itself said that Raki was like a Claymore, no human has reflexes fast enough to move as fast as Raki does. Stop assuming.
HayashiTakara is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 08:47   Link #984
Flar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Why should I?
Flar is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 08:49   Link #985
evil_kenshin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
Of course I presume. You do it too. What did you think we were doing when speculating?

I say he is human because he doesn't seem to be able to sense Yoki, and characters can move as fast as the mangaka wishes them to move. It's not that rare to have swordsmen move that fast in shonen fighting mangas.
lol we'll i admit im presuming, but Claymore has been realistic with humans making them out to be unable to defend themselves against regular yoma.


I mean look at the way in Rabona arc near the beginning Cid/Galk couldn't even together handle one yoma (or Clare who was considered fairly weak at the time) and yet they have lived their life training alot longer than Raki has/had(not sure if its ongoing yet) been training under Isley. I find it odd how Isley could (even if he was the former number 1 male claymore) train someone so good without resorting to some level of change to Raki's body
evil_kenshin is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 08:58   Link #986
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Exactly, Cid and Galk are full grown men who have been in military service for who knows how long. And they are still incapable of handling a regular Yoma.

Raki is capable of wielding a great sword with one arm, which is physically impossible for a normal human being to do. He has been shown to have great reflexes and speed, comparable to a Claymore. His change is insanely drastic, I somehow believe that Raki was "changed" as well, that he is no longer "human", but we won't find out for awhile.

But your reasoning for him being "weak", is based on the fact that seven years ago he was a human kid is.... stupid? Raki is a major character to the story, his resolve was a major point in the story line and finally we are about to see the results. Instead of hating, just take into account to whats going on and being said, and wait to see if you are right or wrong.
HayashiTakara is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 09:01   Link #987
Flar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_kenshin View Post
I mean look at the way in Rabona arc near the beginning Cid/Galk couldn't even together handle one yoma (or Clare who was considered fairly weak at the time)
And in the recent chapters, they almost beat Agatha, they just lacked the knowledge of where to strike. Raki has that knowledge via the little one.

Quote:
I find it odd how Isley could (even if he was the former number 1 male claymore) train someone so good without resorting to some level of change to Raki's body
I don't find it odd, as that is the usual way shonen mangas go, where the big, overwhelming threat of the begining of the manga is, by the middle, an annoyance crushed by even the weakest girl in the party, and training with dedication and a master makes even an useless wimp into an uber fighter. (see: Kenichi, Kenshin, Naruto, HxH...)

However, I wish Raki was awakened, that would add some damn spice to the future meeting with Clare. I just don't find it coherent with his overall theme and the way he was reintroduced.
Flar is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 09:05   Link #988
evil_kenshin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
And in the recent chapters, they almost beat Agatha, they just lacked the knowledge of where to strike. Raki has that knowledge via the little one.
To be fair theres a big difference there was a whole army keeping Agatha distracted, as well as 3 claymores duking it out. Besides Agatha was toying with Cid lol (all that blood was making her horny )

Raki on his own with no help or distractions took down the yoma


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
I don't find it odd, as that is the usual way shonen mangas go, where the big, overwhelming threat of the begining of the manga is, by the middle, an annoyance crushed by even the weakest girl in the party, and training with dedication and a master makes even an useless wimp into an uber fighter. (see: Kenichi, Kenshin, Naruto, HxH...)

However, I wish Raki was awakened, that would add some damn spice to the future meeting with Clare. I just don't find it coherent with his overall theme and the way he was reintroduced.
prehaps or prehaps not, you could be right but u might be wrong its something we will find out later. But claymore hasn't been like that with unrelisticly strong humans, Raki was only with Isley for 6 years at most (judging how his been adventuring around looking for Clare)

im not saying ur 100% wrong just i don't agree with it , can't wait to find out though either way
evil_kenshin is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 09:08   Link #989
Flar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
But your reasoning for him being "weak", is based on the fact that seven years ago he was a human kid is.... stupid?
Weak comparatively to Clare, Miria, Riful, Galatea, Miata, Isley, Alicia, Duf... the important guys.

Stupid? Ah, yes, assuredly more than assuming that starting from nothing, without experience, with a growing body to adapt to, he would somehow become even with the experienced, half or totally awakened fighters that trained as much or more than him during the same time. Yes, of course.
Flar is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 10:15   Link #990
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Flar, sometimes I wonder if you even enjoy Claymore with the way you post . I mean Raki reappeared 14 pages ago and already people are saying that it is just standard shonen style are disappointed and probably crying in the basement where no one can see them. Some people are saying the interesting parts of the series are over now and the manga has "jumped the shark". I think Claymore is quite remarkable in the differences it has to normal shonen styles and motifs. I think it definitely has similarities to other manga but has some differences that make it much better for me. For instance there absolutely are power ups in Claymore. But the characters in Claymore do not get them for free like Clare being brought back from half awakening but losing Jean in the process.

Personally I always liked manga Raki. The kid did not flinch against Ophelia as she played her sadistic games with him. He has been mentally very tough for some time.
chibamonster is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 10:51   Link #991
Jonova
JoJo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_kenshin View Post
To be fair theres a big difference there was a whole army keeping Agatha distracted, as well as 3 claymores duking it out. Besides Agatha was toying with Cid lol (all that blood was making her horny )

Raki on his own with no help or distractions took down the yoma
You have to take into consideration the fact that Agatha is vastly more powerful than one single yoma tho, you could throw an army of yoma at her and she probably would still be fine.
__________________
Jonova is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 10:57   Link #992
Flar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Flar, sometimes I wonder if you even enjoy Claymore with the way you post . I mean Raki reappeared 14 pages ago and already people are saying that it is just standard shonen style are disappointed and probably crying in the basement where no one can see them. Some people are saying the interesting parts of the series are over now and the manga has "jumped the shark"
I'm not disappointed, I'm just saying I expected it and that I believe Raki isn't as strong as an AB or one of the leading Claymores. Is that bad?

Why do you equate having a (different) theory on how things will unfurl with not enjoying the manga?

Raki always irritated me, true, but he still always had potential that was not fighting. In my opinion, his fighting skill is not relevant in comparison. (and that was not his crying that was irritating, but his total stupidity in trying to do something impossible right away despite knowing it was impossible without at least years of training and growing)



As an aside, I don't think Claymore is that different from a "normal" shonen (what's a "normal" shonen anyway?), it has the usual power-ups, group dynamics, motivation, old masters, or hotblood. That it has blood is just cosmetic... and even then it's not like works like Berserk or Ares are not bloody.


Also, I said the serie would jump the shark with an ultra strong Raki that would not be Claymorized, as it would, for me, destroy the entire theme that yoma/humans hybrid are stronger, make meaningless the experiences the MiB did on claymores and overall be totally incoherent with the setting.
Flar is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 11:03   Link #993
myshka
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I wonder if when Clare and Raki meet, she'd have to save his butt again . I'm sure it's going to be a dire situation yet again(my personal predicition is Riful).

Raki sure is lukcy, not only Clare will go out of his way to protect him, but probably also Priscilla. I can totally see how Raki will be the demise of Riful, one way or another....
myshka is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 11:12   Link #994
evil_kenshin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshka View Post
I wonder if when Clare and Raki meet, she'd have to save his butt again . I'm sure it's going to be a dire situation yet again(my personal predicition is Riful).

Raki sure is lukcy, not only Clare will go out of his way to protect him, but probably also Priscilla. I can totally see how Raki will be the demise of Riful, one way or another....
well incidentally enough Raki stands for Lucky i believe

just the same its possible Raki will be the downfall for Riful, but at the same time i think it won't be Clare but more Priscilla.

Assuming that Raki and Priscilla's connection was the "something interesting" Riful found, she could try and abuse this leading to Priscilla killing her and Dauf in rage.

Though if Priscilla is the one traveling with Raki right now, i can't really see a situation where Raki would get himself in trouble either since he has the strongest AB sitting on his shoulder ready to attack all who touch Raki.
evil_kenshin is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 11:32   Link #995
myshka
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Poor Clare will have a heart attack if it is Prissy...After all the years of searching for clues of Raki in the north, she would finally find him with the monstrosity that killed her beloved Teresa perched on his shoulder. AAAHHHHH
Dont you think if that happened, all the Raki praises will end? I mean how dense can he be? I mean he has to know about Prissy, he's seen an AB and he know where they come from, Clare explained it. He know that even though yoma can look and act like humans they are still monsters (liek his brother) Why would he take Priscila with him? To look for her parents? She'd just eat them right away!
myshka is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 11:35   Link #996
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 36
Some of you seem really hopeful that Raki is going to be downplayed, I feel sorry for him.
HayashiTakara is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 11:40   Link #997
Flar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Some of you seem really hopeful that Raki is going to be downplayed, I feel sorry for him.
Don't, he's just a manga character.
Flar is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 13:43   Link #998
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flar View Post
About Raki: Yawn. Expected ever since we had the time-skip. The only modest surprise is that he is not with Isley any more.
You sounded disappointed right at the beginning of the post . I did not think it because you have a different idea, but because you sounded disappointed. That was what I was talking about.

I think Claymore certainly does have a lot in common with other shonen manga because hey, it is a shonen manga. For *normal shonen* I think of Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, D. Grey-man and the like. Admittedly I still read them and enjoy them. For me, however, Claymore stands out because of how much it grips me with the characters. It does not feel like most other manga to me. For me almost all of the characters are complex and engaging. It certainly does not escape archetypal storytelling techniques as we have old masters, characters on journeys getting stronger, and so on. You'd be hard pressed to find a story that was not like a story that had been told before unless you are going straight experimental which can be trippy. I know everyone has different tastes though so there is no use for me to argue how Claymore compares with Seinen manga like vagabond, berserk, gantz or anything like that. If blood is your thing there are certainly better places to get some cookies.

@myshka: I do not think Raki knows about Teresa and Priscilla although he might. I would hope that Clare told him something but Clare has never told anyone about Teresa explicitly that we know of. I doubt Priscilla mentioned her awakening either, but it is possible. Maybe Raki and Priscilla shared secrets. "I am still in love with a girl who saved me years ago." "I am a monster that eats people." *Hugs*
__________________
Tests for my graphic novel -> http://dragonfury0.deviantart.com/ <-
chibamonster is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 13:50   Link #999
myshka
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I'm not saying that he knows anything about Teresa. I'm just saying he's been exposed to ABs and yomas enough that he should realise what Isely and Priscilla are. I mean they still gotta feed right? So, no matter how greatful he is to them for saving him, teaching him sword skills and not eating him in general, they are still monsters...
myshka is offline  
Old 2008-06-08, 14:10   Link #1000
ashesatdusk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La La Land
Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
I mean how dense can he be? I mean he has to know about Prissy, he's seen an AB and he know where they come from, Clare explained it. He know that even though yoma can look and act like humans they are still monsters (liek his brother) Why would he take Priscila with him? To look for her parents? She'd just eat them right away!
Priscilla's parents are dead, that was before the storyline, they were eaten by Yoma. and also Priscilla did cling to raki. I think its an issue of the other way would priscilla let raki go? If he's human, its not like he has a chance of escaping from her. Even if he's claymore (I don't think he is, he needed unkwown girl to detect yoma for him, implying he can't sense yoki energy), its still doesn't help his chances of escaping priscilla. Riful, has already said Priscilla was stronger than the abyssal ones. I don't think Isley could stop her, if she wanted to tag along.


There are some other things, if Raki is still looking for clare, and travelling with priscilla

1) Likely he doesn't know anything about the fight to the north, or
his connection with priscilla is so strong he doesn't care.


2) If he doesn't know anything about the fight to the north, its perfectly possible he's unaware Isley and Priscilla are AB.
__________________
Sig never posted, because the mods would remove it for exceeding the size limit.
ashesatdusk is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.