AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-10-22, 07:38   Link #1
Moonlith

Relationships with actual intimacy (preferably rivals)

A lot of the times when watching anime I find I end up shipping a pair of sidecharacters (especially rivals) and I keep watching the anime exclusively in hopes of any fun and intimate scenes ending up occurring between them. Of course, most of the time I end up disappointed when such scenes obviously don't happen.

And even when it comes to acts of physical intimacy or physical bonding the best you can hope for seems to be a hand on a shoulder, or the hollow obligatory "teehee I'm fondling your boobs to embarrass you" in a hot spring/lockerroom scene. It's difficult to find anything involving snuggling, or an ecchi massage that is actually depicted as a moment of meaningful intimacy rather than a meaningless 'comedy' bit of fanservice.

So basically I am wondering if there any anime that actually fixate on, focus on, and allocate a lot of screentime, to showcasing intimate relationships with a good load of teasing and physical bonding. Particularly when they are ALSO rivals?

Rough examples and clarifications:

- Seikon no Qwaser's Hana x Ekaterina. Didn't care much for the show, DID love the (quite many) scenes dedicated to exploring and showcasing the developing (kinky) relationship between these two characters. Particularly the development of Hana turning from being a bit of a badass bully into Katja's bitch.

- Toradora is a bit of a BAD example since any real intimacy and development only occurred at the very end. But besides that I did enjoy the moments of teasing and rivalry between Tigra and Ami and I was rather shipping -them-. Too bad the story had other plans.

- Mitsudomoe has quite a FUN rivalry between Mitsuba and Sugisaki and it even hints that underneath all that rivalry and humiliating and backstabbery, they do actually care for one another.

- Hajimete no Gal: terrible anime, boring and bland characters, hated it. Watched it only because I liked Ranko and in particular that moment where she blackmailed Yui. To me, that would have been a great setup for some back and forth rivalry and attempting to one-up and humiliate one another and possibly grow more interested in one another, but alas, that was pretty much the extent of their interaction. Major disappointment

- Haganai: Although it's a trashy harem anime, I did enjoy the rivalry between Sena and Yozora and was rooting for something definitive to actually happen between them. The intimacy was great, the brutal teasing amazing, but unfortunately beyond a few hints of Sena's potential masochistic interest in Yozora's abuse, the anime didn't develop their relationship beyond that.

- Candy Boy: Actually a good example. Ignoring the fact they are sisters, I did enjoy that the anime fixated on their interaction and teasing and physical intimacy / snuggling.

I suppose what I'm asking for is two different things that can (hopefully) overlap:

- A rivalry between two characters that results in one character subjugating the other / coming out on top.
- A developing relationship in which the characters are actually shown having fun, intimate moments with one another, or teasing each other a lot. But either way making it obvious they have affection for one another.

Any tips for anime featuring such relationships?
Moonlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-22, 16:45   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well it's not out just yet but make sure to keep an eye on Love Is War, although you probably won't see any physical intimacy.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-24, 14:11   Link #3
readher

I guess Kampfer fits? Shizuku has rivalry with pretty much everyone and there's a lot of intimate scenes she's part of that aren't just fanservice (in the manga version they're even more important since they influence the ending).
readher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-30, 22:47   Link #4
Shana

There's Kodocha. Akito fights (and actually interacts and gets to know) every single one of the members of Sana's reverse harem.
Old 2018-11-06, 17:12   Link #5
kitten320

Can it be action?

Berserk has a relationship that starts as rivalry and develops to intimacy as in sex. But Berserk over all is bloody and explicit.

Ga-Rei Zero has a bit of a side couple that are rivals but also get some close, cuddly moments. Again a gory show.

Pretty sure Inu x Boku SS had lots of cuddling despite actual confession being at the end of the series. Romance/Comedy this time^^

Kokoro Connect main couple get pretty close.

Ore Monogatari!! has lots of cute, cuddly moments.

White Album 2 has a love triangle but handles it very well and has lots of intimate/close scenes. I would recommend it the most out of whole list.

Zetsuen no Tempest has some nice moments.

You seem to be ok with yuri, what about yaoi? Those are all about intimacy