AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 22:49   Link #1441
babohtea

I've found an interesting tiny detail that may just be due to the author's mistake, but once you know what it is you'll probably understand why the author might have let it slip.

Ed and Al learned how to do alchemy from their father's, Hohenheim's, books. Hohenheim did not teach them Eastern alchemy (so maybe it developed on it's own) and would not have taught them how to use Father's souls. Therefore, they are probably transmuting the earth's curst... OR SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY! Like THE SUN (jk).

However, this is a tiny detail from like.. chapter 1? In the end, the canon of the manga may contradict this fact.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 00:00   Link #1442
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
I've found an interesting tiny detail that may just be due to the author's mistake, but once you know what it is you'll probably understand why the author might have let it slip.

Ed and Al learned how to do alchemy from their father's, Hohenheim's, books. Hohenheim did not teach them Eastern alchemy (so maybe it developed on it's own) and would not have taught them how to use Father's souls. Therefore, they are probably transmuting the earth's curst... OR SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY! Like THE SUN (jk).

However, this is a tiny detail from like.. chapter 1? In the end, the canon of the manga may contradict this fact.
I'd be willing to bet that the only reason Hohenheim ever had alchemy books was to figure out what Father was up to. Why else would he need them? That means that most likely the books would all be Amestrian.
Old 2010-03-08, 09:54   Link #1443
Sannom

Well, here are my two cents on this whole subject. First, the facts :

--- contrary to what I've heard people here say, Hohenheim went first to Xing : in the most recent flashback of him, we see him wandering in the desert of Xerxes, collapsing and being picked up by Xingese travelers.
--- the Amestrian alchemists believe the energy to perform their transmutations comes from the movements of the earth crust. May's skeptical, saying that it doesn't feel like it.
--- the Xingese alchemy's energy comes from the Dragon's Veins, a concept so abstract it could mean anything. In fact, the Xingese alchemy seems to be more about feelings than scientific knowledge.

So, what I think of all this : the two alchemy, Eastern and Western, use soul energy to perform their energy. This is in fact what May calls the Dragon's Veins, a gigantic, natural stream of energy created by the energy in each human being when they die, this energy going back to the earth. Which may be why But Father, being the control freak that he is, wanted everything under control, and so he created his own stream under Amestris using the energy of the souls inside him.
Sannom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 13:55   Link #1444
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannom View Post

--- contrary to what I've heard people here say, Hohenheim went first to Xing : in the most recent flashback of him, we see him wandering in the desert of Xerxes, collapsing and being picked up by Xingese travelers.
--- the Amestrian alchemists believe the energy to perform their transmutations comes from the movements of the earth crust. May's skeptical, saying that it doesn't feel like it.
--- the Xingese alchemy's energy comes from the Dragon's Veins, a concept so abstract it could mean anything. In fact, the Xingese alchemy seems to be more about feelings than scientific knowledge.

So, what I think of all this : the two alchemy, Eastern and Western, use soul energy to perform their energy. This is in fact what May calls the Dragon's Veins, a gigantic, natural stream of energy created by the energy in each human being when they die, this energy going back to the earth. Which may be why But Father, being the control freak that he is, wanted everything under control, and so he created his own stream under Amestris using the energy of the souls inside him.

Another theory i've heard is that in the wars amestris partakes in, the blood stained land does more than just provide the array for the transmutation circle: It provides souls which power the alchemy of amestris. The pipes in father's layer distirbute the energy from the death and destruction across all the land in amestris, powering alchemy in the whole nation.

All the xing characters say they've had the weird feeling below them since they entered the country, and that it gets strongest when they're in central. I can't help but feel that the elaborate machinery in father's lair plays a role in distributing the power which fuels amestris alchemy.
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 01:39   Link #1445
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannom View Post

Here this should explain what Dragon Veins are

http://www.shambhala.com/fengshui/fu...ciples2-1.cfm/

They are simply using the energy that flows naturally through the Earth as a way to make Alchemy.

Also we know Hohenheim went to Xing first because there was a flashback in chapter 97 of him being found by Xing merchants after Xerxes was destroyed.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 17:19   Link #1446
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Can't Wait For New Chapter Friday ... No Spoilers Yet :/
Old 2010-03-09, 18:35   Link #1447
Vicious108

Yeah they sure are late with them spoilers this month.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 19:58   Link #1448
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Its driving me crazy!
Old 2010-03-09, 21:14   Link #1449
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

My first impression on Xingese alchemy was that it had to do with magma currents in the earth's mantle. It could be anything, it seems.
Old 2010-03-09, 23:51   Link #1450
GaimeGuy

So, some interesting facts about the number 108, which is supposedly the number of chapters FMA will end with.

# In ancient India, vedic seers had calculated the following distances which modern scientific measurements have reconfirmed[6]:

* The distance between the Earth and Moon is 108 times the diameter of the Moon
* The distance between the Earth and Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Sun
* The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth

* Sacred within Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and connected yoga and dharma based practices.
* A mala usually has beads for 108 repetitions of a mantra.
* Hindu deities have 108 names. Recital of these names, often accompanied by counting of 108-beaded Mala, is considered sacred and often done during religious ceremonies. The recital is called namajapa.
* It is described in the Bhagavata Purana that Krishna dances with 108 'Gopis' (cow-herd girls) in His Vrindavan pastimes, and later marries 16,108 wives in His city of Dwarka. Krishna devotees thus hold 108 as a number of great significance.
* Shiva Nataraja dances his cosmic dance in 108 poses.
* The total of all digits of 108 (1+0+8) is 9, which in Hinduism is said to represent the 9 tattvas[citation needed]. If you divide 108 by 2 or multiply by 2 the total of all digits again equals 9, however this is true for any number divisible by 18.
* In Hindu Astrology there are 12 Rashis or Zodiacs and 9 Planets or Navagrahas. 12 X 9 = 108. There are 27 Lunar mansions or Nakshatras which are divided in 4 Padas or quarters each. 27 X 4 = 108.
* The number of sins in Tibetan Buddhism.
* In the temple Angkor Wat area there are numerous references to the number 108, which plays a significant role in the symbolism of the structure.
* In Japan, at the end of the year, a bell is chimed 108 times to finish the old year and welcome the new one. Each ring represents one of 108 earthly temptations a person must overcome to achieve nirvana.
* Zen priests wear juzu (a ring of prayer beads) around their wrists, which consists of 108 beads.[1]
* Muktinath, the source of all Sila or Shaligram and one of the holiest place of pilgrimage of Hindus, Buddhists, Vaishnava, and Jains, has 108 water springs.
* Many Buddhist temples have 108 steps.[1]
* Hindu Kshatriya Dhangars have 108 clans. The lineage of these clans is from solar and lunar dynasties. These people like to point out that the diameter of the Sun is nearly 108 times the diameter of the Earth, the distance from the Sun to the Earth is nearly 108 times the diameter of the Sun, and the average distance of the Moon from the Earth is nearly 108 times the diameter of the Moon.
* The Eklingji temple complex includes 108 temples within its walls.
* There are 108 holy temples of Vishnu.
* Sahasranamastotra or Sahasranama (1008 names (List of 10,000 names is given to a rishi called Tandi by Shiva; the rishi gives it to Upamanyu, and the latter to Krsna in an abridged. He gives only one tenth of the names, viz. 1008 names)) has a total of 108 shlokas.
* 108 signifies the wholeness of the divinity, perfect totality.
* Ananda Coomaraswamy holds that the numerology of the decimal numeric system was key to its inception. 108 is therefore founded in Dharmic metaphysical numerology. One for bindu; zero for shunyata and eight for ananta.
* Heart Chakra: The chakras are the intersections of energy lines, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra. One of them, sushumna leads to the crown chakra, and is said to be the path to Self-realization.
* Marmas: Marmas or marmastanas are like energy intersections called chakras, except have fewer energy lines converging to form them. There are said to be 108 marmas in the subtle body.
* The Lankavatara Sutra repeatedly refers to the 108 steps.[2]
* The lines of the mystical Sri Yantra intersect in 54 points, each with a masculine and feminine quality, totaling 108.
Old 2010-03-10, 00:15   Link #1451
Nobodyman9
Banned

108 eh? Just like Death Note. Well, I hope it's only 108. I want this manga to END!
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 01:50   Link #1452
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
So, some interesting facts about the number 108, which is supposedly the number of chapters FMA will end with.
Uh... says who?
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 02:05   Link #1453
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Uh... says who?
Well it's been confirmed that brotherhood is 63 eps, which means it'll end at the end of june, and chapter 108 would come in june, as well
Old 2010-03-10, 09:11   Link #1454
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoilers are finally out !

Spoiler for 105:

Last edited by Kanon; 2010-03-10 at 10:41.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 09:56   Link #1455
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoilers are finally out !

Spoiler for 105:
Spoiler for 105:
Old 2010-03-10, 10:13   Link #1456
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
K, gotta avoid this thread again Can't stand the temptation too long xD
But yay spoilers mean it's not that long anymore until the release \o/
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 13:53   Link #1457
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Shit I can tell that FMA will be coming to an end very very soon :/
Old 2010-03-10, 14:22   Link #1458
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush View Post
Spoiler for 105:
Me too. =/
Old 2010-03-10, 14:38   Link #1459
Kirarakim

I wasn't sure how Arakawa would be able to end the series so soon but after this chapter I think she can definitely end in 3 more chapters which then will coincide with the anime supposedly ending in 63 episodes (which does seem to be the case from what I have read). The nice thing is these last two chapters were longer than usual and I hope Arakawa continues that trend.

Spoiler for Speculation:
Old 2010-03-10, 14:54   Link #1460
walt

All hail Hoenheim!!!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote