AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 4 6.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 40.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 23.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 13.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 11.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-03-08, 08:51   Link #81
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Hmmm, I was just watching over episode 22 again just now, when I actually caught onto something; it seems that Uiharu's power is actaully to keep things she touches at a constant temperature, not to heat them up. (that's how Uiharu explained it) After having read over Random Curiosity's summary on the episode, it seems this is indeed the case. So she isn't actually heating the takiyaki up, but keeping them at a warm temperature, according to her. The Uiharu thread is also working based on this as well.

Which, actually, sounds less impressive. So much for nuclear applications; a) she'd have to come into direct contact with whatever she wants to use her power on, and b) the way she describes her power, she wouldn't be able to make it go nuclear anyway, only keep it at its current temperature. That would be nice for arctic rescue/self survival (although Uiharu also says she can't hold the temperature of anything too hot), but it doesn't quite make for an offensive ability.
Old 2010-03-08, 09:02   Link #82
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
That would be nice for arctic rescue/self survival (although Uiharu also says she can't hold the temperature of anything too hot), but it doesn't quite make for an offensive ability.
Ep 13 When the holograms are malfunctioning in the middle of the blizzard it is as if nothing to Uiharu. Saten was hugging her for warmth.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 09:34   Link #83
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
[...]
Which, actually, sounds less impressive. So much for nuclear applications; a) she'd have to come into direct contact with whatever she wants to use her power on, and b) the way she describes her power, she wouldn't be able to make it go nuclear anyway, only keep it at its current temperature. That would be nice for arctic rescue/self survival (although Uiharu also says she can't hold the temperature of anything too hot), but it doesn't quite make for an offensive ability.
Are offensive abilities more awesome than defensive abilities?

Kuroko couldn't teleport herself in the beginning. It's very well possible that Uiharu can use her ability on range later or actually change the temperature instead of just keeping it constant. Speculations speculations~~
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 09:41   Link #84
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Are offensive abilities more awesome than defensive abilities?

Also Kuroko couldn't teleport herself in the beginning. It's very well possible that Uiharu can use her ability on range later.
Huh? How is holding a constant temperature even a defensive ability? She can keep herself warm in a snowstorm wearing summer clothes as long as she wants; it's not going to defend her against anything except the cold.

And again, we can speculate until Judgement Day, but as far as the show is concerned she can only affect things by touch. Not that it would make any difference; she still can't use it as an offensive or defensive ability. At best, she can do support (and rather limited at her current level) or, as I pointed out, rescue.
Old 2010-03-08, 09:42   Link #85
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Then it's an offensive ability?
Old 2010-03-08, 09:45   Link #86
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Then it's an offensive ability?
.......are you really reading my posts?
Old 2010-03-08, 09:47   Link #87
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Argh I admit I skipped the last line =_=

Then again in my book "rescue" is very well a defensive ability =3

edit: Before this gets out of hand, shall we move to the Uiharu character thread?
Old 2010-03-08, 09:50   Link #88
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Argh I admit I skipped the last line =_=

Then again in my book "rescue" is very well a defensive ability =3

edit: Before this gets out of hand, shall we move to the Uiharu character thread?
Actually, I need to turn in......it's 7 am here. >.>
Old 2010-03-08, 10:28   Link #89
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Listen Uiharu is only Level 1. It's not going to be very impressive, but I'm sure there could be loads of applications if she levels up.

And I find it very hard to agree that Misaka was sitting on the high horse. She was just trying to get her point across and you could clearly see she wasn't enjoying it at all. Anyone has the right to do that. She did really hurt Kiyama but if she hadn't done then Kiyama would've gotten herself hurt even more.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-03-08 at 10:40.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:32   Link #90
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
again, Kuroko's moans.... why?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:37   Link #91
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
again, Kuroko's moans.... why?
Spoiler for Because:

Spoiler for Got it?:
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:38   Link #92
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Spoiler for Because:

Spoiler for Got it?:
Yeah you're gonna have to use imageshack more.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:44   Link #93
Alhazred

Quote:
Huh? How is holding a constant temperature even a defensive ability? She can keep herself warm in a snowstorm wearing summer clothes as long as she wants; it's not going to defend her against anything except the cold.

And again, we can speculate until Judgement Day, but as far as the show is concerned she can only affect things by touch. Not that it would make any difference; she still can't use it as an offensive or defensive ability. At best, she can do support (and rather limited at her current level) or, as I pointed out, rescue.
Any 'stasis' power can potentially (i.e. not at Uiharu's level) qualify as a 'defensive ability' under the right circumstances. For instance, much of the damage caused by a lightning strike is heat damage. If you can force your body to maintain a constant temperature, that means you can force it to stop absorbing thermal energy. This would make you immune to heat damage, and thus immune to much of the damage caused by a lightning strike. Similarly, combustion works because the reaction produces its own heat, and thus maintains the temperature necessary for the reaction to continue. Though power-based combustion like pyrokinesis might be an exception, someone able to force their body to maintain a constant temperature would essentially be fireproof. There are complications, of course, as cellular respiration is a combustion reaction so the human body on a microscopic level is never at a constant temperature, but i'm pretty sure the author would just hand-wave that off.

Anyhow, as someone pointed out earlier, pretty much all of this has already been brought up in Uiharu's character thread.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:48   Link #94
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Wow...Uiharu's power is really really really lame.
Old 2010-03-08, 10:55   Link #95
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Wow...Uiharu's power is really really really lame.
Eh, yes and no. She's only level 1, so you shouldn't expect too much. It all depends on how it evolves if and when her level grows. See her thread for speculation.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 12:30   Link #96
Siegfridus
Tlacuilo

Spoiler for for space sake:

I think you underestimate Uiharu's power. She can be in -100 °C or even more less temperature without a single piece of clothes in her and still be alive as if she were in the middle of spring!! She can survive any environment
Not a defense system? I wonder who can reach those places before dying

But anyways, what i liked about this episode is the level of "I'll do what i can to save those children" attitude of Kiyama. Although Mikoto behaves very "Yes! I trust the system will save these children before their own interest"...which is very unlikely stance of any organization, in academy city at least. Although we already saw in the manga how we can identify both character for the same actions they take, i think (in the anime) they're building more and more this situation.
I can imagine how mikoto will fall apart (and harder than the manga) when she finds out the Sister Program that the beloved system she trusted is running (IF we happen to see that on screen of course)...she'll find herself Very identified with Kiyama (that's what i hope, at least) and, perhaps, she'll be sorry for being such a douche.

And come on. Even Heaven Canceller works with Kiyama. This dude cannot work with evil people for evil acts! HE saves fucking lives everytime he have dinner!

Although I thought that they were going to awake the children and send them to different parts of the planet. So they would be far enough to create some porutergaisto effect... but i guess they want to keep it within the city boundaries
Siegfridus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 12:38   Link #97
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfridus View Post
Although I thought that they were going to awake the children and send them to different parts of the planet. So they would be far enough to create some porutergaisto effect... but i guess they want to keep it within the city boundaries
Spoiler for spoiler:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 13:50   Link #98
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Sorry guys, but even if she was stronger, I don't see a very good use for her power other than replacing heaters and coolers. But then again, they stretch the limits with a person's power so who knows what she could do. *shrugs*
Old 2010-03-08, 14:16   Link #99
Kon the Magnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Sorry guys, but even if she was stronger, I don't see a very good use for her power other than replacing heaters and coolers. But then again, they stretch the limits with a person's power so who knows what she could do. *shrugs*
If you think about it, her powers can evolve from just maintaining a certain power, it can evolve like crazy should she ever level up from 1 to say...3. What could she possibly do at that stage? Well there are many things, maybe she can actually heat up things and then cool them down at a accelerated rate. Imagine how dangerous that would be if she used that on a person(Though I doubt she would considering her character).

Like many others, I too believe Misaka was a bit...well...to put it in simple terms in Kiyama's words back during the Level Upper Arc

Even if you are a level 5, in the end, you are just a princess that doesn't know anything about the real world

I think back on this when I watched the sceen between Kiyama and Misaka dealign with the children
Kon the Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 18:10   Link #100
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Still, whats with the flowers on Uihara's head? Will they ever explain that I wonder. DX

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Jin Kizuite is offline   Reply With Quote