AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-15, 12:22   Link #61
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Yui's been my favorite for some time now, episodes like this one just affirm it that much more. Though Ui is starting to register on my liking scale now as well right behind Mio.
Old 2009-05-17, 18:16   Link #62
Sidestep
Bumpy jumpy~!
*Graphic Designer

Yui is my fave, something about her is just charming. Also, her Santa outfit in episode seven was nice. :P
Old 2009-05-17, 22:31   Link #63
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Thanks to episode seven, my love for Yui has returned. Her relationship with Ui really is too much antidote for my cold, dead heart.
Old 2009-05-19, 11:15   Link #64
xKaze_no_Torax

Send a message via AIM to xKaze_no_Torax
I have to say that Yui is my favorite. She just brings in that humor and yet you can tell there is no possible way for her to be that air headed (at least you hope...)
Old 2009-05-19, 13:45   Link #65
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Yui can be considered a natural music genius. Her way of handling her guitar can be considered to be "Music comes from the heart....literally" and "Ears are connected to the heart"

Her musical genius was displayed to a certain degree when she finally bought her guitar when she play simple tune without any knowledge on how to play and in the training camp episode where she can replicate the past Sawako guitar score just by listening alone. In manga...She can perfectly tune her guitar's sound, without any knowledge how to

Unfortunately her being easily distracted and limited brain capacity is considered to be a bane of her natural talent, given how she easily forget what she has learned.

Basically one can argue that it's better for her not to know anything than teaching, that way her talent can be unleashed from her heart and instinct alone rather than from what she was taught.

A theory to display her talent is to let her play Guitar Hero III 'Through The Fires and Flames by Dragonforce' on Expert
-First let her understand the basic controls
-Then let Yui try to play that song, she'll fail miserably. Because even her eye and hand may be able to hit every notes, her brain can't catch up the complex sequence.
-After that blindfold her and let her listen to the 100% demo.
-Finally, with her blindfold still on let her play that song again. She'll exactly the same as the demo. The reason to be still blindfolded is because if she's able to see, she'll rely on her brain to futilely perform eye hand coordination the catch the sequence. With blindfold on, the brain is 'cut off' and let instinct to do its magic.

If example above proved to be too complex, then the more easier way to display her talent is to let her listen to a song once, then ask her to try replicate. You'll be amazed how well she can do it.

With that said, if she ever dream of an original song of an impossible complexity, she'll play it in the K-ON club at the next day. Just don't ask her to write the scores, her head will explode because of the complexity and she'll forget how to play the song altogether.

Last edited by Flo; 2009-05-20 at 03:05.
Old 2009-05-19, 16:10   Link #66
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

That actually kind of makes sense -A-
Old 2009-05-19, 18:39   Link #67
Kyourin
garbage collector

is being able to replicate/improvise a musical score impromptu .. even possible in real life ^^? Just asking .. it's just I haven't seen one
Old 2009-05-19, 19:04   Link #68
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

If you blindfold Yui you'll end up with an injured Rei Ayanami look... I think that would look pretty cool actually... but why stop with the eyes: maybe she should go onstage entirely covered in bandages like an Egyptian mummy... (it would probably freak Mio out though)

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2009-05-19, 20:35   Link #69
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyourin View Post
is being able to replicate/improvise a musical score impromptu .. even possible in real life ^^? Just asking .. it's just I haven't seen one
Not unless you are a virtuoso, like Paul Gilbert or Marty Friedman. At that level you have pretty much memorized every sound that comes from every fret on your guitar, or fingering position on other instruments, etc. Even for them, it's fairly difficult, but it's possible. Here is Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert pretty much improvising together playing a bunch of songs they like on Marty Friedman's old show in Japan.

Stuff like the Twisted Sister riff and a bunch of the other stuff they play in the 3rd "segment" is thought up on the spot. They remember what a song sounds like and can figure out how to play it exactly by just remembering that.
Old 2009-05-21, 07:49   Link #70
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
Not unless you are a virtuoso, like Paul Gilbert or Marty Friedman. At that level you have pretty much memorized every sound that comes from every fret on your guitar, or fingering position on other instruments, etc. Even for them, it's fairly difficult, but it's possible. Here is Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert pretty much improvising together playing a bunch of songs they like on Marty Friedman's old show in Japan.

Stuff like the Twisted Sister riff and a bunch of the other stuff they play in the 3rd "segment" is thought up on the spot. They remember what a song sounds like and can figure out how to play it exactly by just remembering that.
imma out of words .. first tym to see a performance like that ^^
Old 2009-05-21, 08:13   Link #71
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Any classical piece that you see with the name Impromptu, is exactly just as the name says.

I guess this fantasia impromptu by chopin is one of the most widely known ones

During the Barroque era (Bach days) pianists and clavichordists were more renowed if they were good improvisers rather than if they were good composers or interpreters, many of the people of the Bach family (specially Wilhelm Friedemann Bach) were specially renowed for this.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-05-21 at 08:37.
Old 2009-05-21, 08:31   Link #72
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Scarily, improvisation seems to suit Yui's style better.
Old 2009-05-21, 10:27   Link #73
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Improvisation is still very prominent in live guitar solos done by bands, particularly metal bands because they are so fast. Angus Young does a lot of improv' in his live solos as well.

All you really need to know is the scale for a song.
Old 2009-05-21, 10:44   Link #74
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Indeed, improvisation is normally a play on musical scales, arpeggios and chords. If you know your musical theory, everything flows from there.
Old 2009-05-21, 18:16   Link #75
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Musical theory and Yui....

Failure to compute. Brain shutting down.
Old 2009-05-21, 18:19   Link #76
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ui does love her sister a bit doesn't she?
Old 2009-05-21, 18:24   Link #77
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Ui does love her sister a bit doesn't she?
You can strike off the "a bit" part. The sisters are pretty darn close.
Old 2009-05-21, 20:46   Link #78
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Yui and Ui's relationships is one of the best reasons to love Yui. It brings out her not so relying stupidity cuteness.
Old 2009-05-22, 04:01   Link #79
FateAnomaly

Yes i agree with that.
Old 2009-05-22, 07:48   Link #80
Flo
The Necessary Evil

While the sibling love prospect of Yui and Ui are cute, I feel that Yui is getting the short end of the stick.

Not implying that the parents favors Ui since it was never explained in both official mediums.

Take a pair of scientists for example to build a robot called Yui and spend 3 months to test and collect data, once testings are doing they point out the flaws and strength of Yui. Then they spend 9 months create a new robot called Ui, who has most (if not all) of Yui's strength and none of Yui's flaws plus few more strengths that Yui didn't have.

Simply put Ui recieve lots of superior genes while Yui gets the inferior genes from the parents. I had a classmate who's dumb as bricks flunk out of middle school while his younger sister getting a degree.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters